Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I expect Djokovic to win this evening and just get over Alcaraz (most likely) in the semi, that's basically the final. In my opinion whoever wins tonight Djokovic or Nadal would start favourite against Alcaraz; the fact it's not the final might help Alcaraz, less pressure if he gets into a winning position than if it was the final itself, he would definitely make them earn it and might even prevail. Whoever makes the final from the other side will literally be making up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Alcaraz not firing on all cylinders at all here.....

Has he ever had to come back from sets down? What's his back- against- the- wall game like?

In a fit of madness and hoping that Cilic might have learned to live in the moment I put a fiver on him to win. I’ll take the roast.

Oops Alcaraz in trouble now at a break 3-4 down in the 2nd and a set down

Zverev is often a target of criticism but if he's serving a high % of first-serve bombs and the rest of his game is on and the opponent is not 100% he's very tough to beat

He's moving well around the court also - getting to a good % of Alcaraz's drop-shots

And after a see-saw of a game Zverev serves out for the 2nd set to lead 2-0

Alcaraz missing shots that he normally wouldn't - a way back now if he's to do it, especially if Zverev can keep up the serving.

Commentator just answered my question - he's never come back from 2-0 down.

Has won from 2-1 down.

We'll see what he's made of now, I suppose - but Zverev is doing a passable imitation of a brick wall here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Hahah jaysis jesus not doing so well. Gonna be hard to dominate if he cant beat Zverev. Zverev is only 25.

Eh, he hasn't lost yet!

Bit early to be dancing on his grave.

Game on!!

And Zverev has the match on his racquet serving 5-4 up - can he avoid the yips?

And just as it gets seriously interesting, I have to go out - to play a tennis match 😭😭

• Advertisement

Ah look , if he can improve his play on key points i can defo see him getting to grand slam semi at some point in the future!

Wow - what a great tense tie-breaker with several mini break swings

Went one way then the other and back again with Alcaraz having a set point

Zverev wins it with his best shot - his backhand, with a winner directly off a second serve down the line

And finally gets rid of his Top 10 player at the slams hoodoo on the 12th attempt

He showed some balls in fairness to him on the big points, as did Alcaraz (who always does) and coped with blowing his chance to serve it out before the breaker

But drops a sh1t-bomb in the interview on the answer to his first question - a bit uncouth

Possibly a bit of extra motivation for the 2 aulder lads coming up as they'd rather face Zverev rather than Alcaraz probably

Zverev unlikely to serve quite that good 2 matches in a row (along with the rest of his game being very good also)

Even though he proves again that he can beat anybody if his full game is firing

Was it an injury or an absolute miracle? Seemed like neither tbh. Zverev well worth the win. A lot more solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Whoever wins tonight has the tournament won. Fairly sickened to see Zverev get through but I'd give him absolutely no chance of doing it twice in a row and getting past Djokovic or Nadal.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,981 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Serious hitting here. Legends!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

Fierce battle already. Half an hour to complete 3 games

Nadal hitting better easily so far and doesn't seem tired in the slightest.

Djokovic sub-par so far compared to his recent form.

Poor serving especially compared to previous rounds and netting some standard shots.

Not the crisp striking seen when taking the title in Rome and in earlier rounds.

He'll have to improve to make a match of it. First set surely a lost cause.

I do think that the fact that he might have only 2 slams to compete in this year is in his mind.

Possibly djokovic and Alcaraz knocked out today, this thread may self destruct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Taxi for Novak.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Still very early days. Enjoying this so far though 😎

• Advertisement

Djokovic needs to wake up out of his relative stupor and Nadal to drop a bit or this is over in 3.

Bizarre considering his recent play.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Djokovic looking a bit at sea here. 3-0 down 2nd set

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And breaks nadal to go 3-1. Strange choice of shot from nadal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

Break back...not dead yet

Glad to hear Mac calling out the farce of the serve clock. Its an absolute joke by this stage,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was that the game that decides who is the GOAT?

MASSSIVE GAME there obviously to get the double break back on level terms

Nadal taking the ABSOLUTE piss on time

Djokovic needs to hold here obv after winning that marathon game

The warrior has awoken - there's a roar!

it's game on

But ... Djokovic - some bad drop shot efforts at the wrong time it has to be said - dumb stuff

finally holds

Really looks like Nadal was focused on firing out of the blocks before his spin might be negated

Djokovic is hitting the ball clean now

Is it just me or should Mac stfu for a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Cooler conditions helping Djokovic, Nadal would be out of sight otherwise.

• Advertisement

Savage tennis this!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement