Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

I suppose a golfer like Paul Dunne Laughs when he hears tour advocates talk about loyalty.You get treated really well by Tours/sponspors if you keep delivering but your very much on your own if you lose your game.Now you could argue thats life but in team sports you have the safety net of a contract that will at least provide a breathing space while you try recover your form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

I'd argue he probably is. IMHO Bryson always had that hint of "circus freak show" about him when he gained all the distance, and almost wasn't taken seriously, Brooks, despite all his majors, was never interested in playing the PR game, totally forgettable. Maybe its because he's European, but I think Rahm has (or maybe now, had) that "potentially an all time great" aura about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Let him them all go but it’s the bs liv make them say and thinking people believe it. Growing game, world ranking points l, looking after my family etc just bs. Just admit it you got offended huge money which was to go to turn down. Nobody would hold it against you.

Nobody will mention his name until the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He was offered that money before and turned it down. The reason he took it now is because the PGA changed its tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Whilst I do agree with your post ...is it not fair to say Seve was king of appearance money and practically invented himself as a commodity..and challenged most things around the structure of the game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

I don't exactly get what Liv are actually getting from all this. Ploughing in massive sums of cash but no return. Nobody actually watches, there's no tv deals,etc.

I've zero interest in watching, don't find it appealing. I like watching Rahm as he's a serious golfer but I'm not going to start watching Liv because he's now there. I'd still prefer a European tour event or PGA tour event where you have a story of a young player trying to get a breakthrough win or similar story, just find it more real

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

He was always bigger, always looked dangerous in a major over last 5 seasons imho.EU tour have major issue now having set precedent of sacking a captain from Liv will they allow John to play in 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Presumably the long game is to get that exposure and become THE world tour, replacing PGA at the top.

Id have to assume thats what will eventually happen as money talks and the Arabs have a bottomless pit at the moment. Might take a few more years.

Once it's on sky sports I'll watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

I think with Norman in charge its simply a case of "some men just want to watch the world burn". He's always wanted a world tour and tried to set one up back in the 90s I think it was. I'd half think the Saudis even now don't really give a F about the golf now that they have their World Cup. In a worst case scenario, they won't even miss the couple of billion they'll throw at LIV, and if there's any upside, like controlling a world tour, so much the better.

Its weird, part of me likes the idea of the PGAT being taken down a notch and given a taste of their own medicine, but then part of me thinks LIV is a pile of sh1te with all sorts of issues. As big a fan of Rory as I am, it does sicken me a little to see a European being the main cheerleeder for the PGA Tour. I hope he realises now there are no friends in big business, ditches the simulator golf idea, and gets back to just being a top golfer.

I said long time ago if Norman wasn’t involved it wouldn’t be as big an issue. He has a personal problem with pga tour and couldn’t give a flying …. About the game of golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Apparently Tony Finau & Tyrell Hatton set to join Rhambo's team.

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hatton get allowance for cursing and flinging clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rory could have his very own tour soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL, can't believe noone in Rors back room have not told him to zero comment on all this Liv stuff, honestly...just go play golf

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm not sure I can blame him after the PGA Tour announced its intended partnership with LIV last summer.

Golf as a viewing spectacle is on the slide big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

I think a merge is inevitable now. With Rahm gone, there are less and less appealing players to watch and the PGAT knows every one of them has a price. I can see them either allowing players to play both as part of a deal or a merger within a year. Either way, the Saudi's will have got what they want, owning a large chunk of world golf and the PGAT. They know LIV itself is lacking in appeal and not drawing viewers, it's just a leverage tool used as a means to an end. They aren't buying players like Rahm to enhance LIV, they're doing it to diminish the PGAT and force their hand to a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And they have achieved that (diminished the PGAT) fairly significantly from my perspective anyway.

While I don't like to see Rahm doing it, I have the feeling that the players who don't take the money will feel absolutely shafted when a merge / agreement etc is found in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Don't agree fully - he does talk too much and offer his opinion a bit too much.

But like my sports to have the characters - enough robots and dull golfers and pros out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm not sure it's fair to say that he brought Seve up. Was he not specifically asked about "what would Seve think"? I don't however think he should have answered that, actually I don't think there is really any time anyone should ever speak for someone else, especially a dead person

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I agree. For someone like Rahm to move you'd have to wonder is there something going on in the background discussions that players don't agree with, Rory steps down as players advocate (don't blame him btw), Tiger even commenting on the slowness with some changes in governance being implemented. Rahms move will also pave the way for others to move, as some have been rumored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bobster453

Watched the Grant Invitational at weekend and often watch LPGA tour events.

Great golf and no sh1te about LIV and overpaid prima donnas.

No hairy faces on LPGA either..well..apart from 1 or 2 but thats another days story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Said as if the lady golfers would not just at the chance if offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I thought the Grant Thornton Mixed comp was very good, I’ve been watching a good bit of women’s golf over the last few years and already knew how good they were.

Id highly recommend the Women’s Irish Open too, I was there this year. Very high standard of golf and a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It looks like Tony is next for sure. A lot of reliable sources talking about it with him hinting at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Post on his Instagram yesterday with the hashtag #imnotleaving - so doesn't look like he's on the way to LIV

Freddie couples talking about how if liv is so good then why doesn’t someone move for free. Doesn’t have an issue with the money but it’s the bs they come out with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Good to hear! Tony is one of the best low-key watches on the PGA. Gifted, but has struggled to close out (which makes watching him that more exciting) Came across very well on the netflix series.

_______

Also the bits I saw of the Grant Thornton mixed was really good. The man missing a putt but his female partner getting it sparked off a few questions from my daughter, as she hadn't seen this format before and ended up watching some of it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah hopefully Tony stays but it's only recently Rahm said he'd no interest in LIV so we'll see what happens.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rahm looked at home liv would grow the game. That was the deciding factor. Wasn’t growing his bank account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Sorbet

Advertisement