Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Outside the Majors and RC I have no real interest in TV golf, have enough to be at. Let LIV gain rankings and it will take a year or so but will balance out and we'll see the best at the Majors which is what the majors are all about

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s a discussion board - Of course I don’t have a clue what has happened. I’m trying to discuss it and making assumptions just like you are.

Yeh I’d say almost the majority of in-and-out golf fans would be similar. But for your weekly viewers they have definitely felt the hit I’d say.

European Tour has been poor since covid now, but PGA even not doing it for me, and generally I’d have been good to at least tune in weekly for a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah I think this is very true. The FedEx should have taught them that joe public doesn't care if the winner gets half a million or 5 million really, he wants good competitive golf between the best. Actually just thinking it through now, slightly ironic that the tour assumed the biggest purse in golf would become the biggest attraction for fans, yet are surprised or put out when the players take the same mentality and go play where there's more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I like Mcilroy idea of a formula one style calendar for golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

i'm not making assumptions, you are

you said they were slow and arrogant, in a discussion board its fair to question how you came up with that

it seems that you have nothing to back that up

I think this is unfair, unless you can yourself can even think of something they could have done then its hard to see that you were not wrong

theres no way to counter an offer of 300 million, golf isn't big enough for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

No point even trying with you, so I gave up. Don't want to de-rail the thread.

• Advertisement

Back to topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Hudson Swafford and Laurie Canter confirmed as wild cards to make up the 54 players needed for the shotgun start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

The South African boys got to play due to sunshine tour side of it than dp tour.

Who’ll be the first big player to join liv without a signing on fee

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This new thing with Google sounds cool, essentially being able to see any shot as you want. I lnow itl prBetty much be like the Masters, but obviously on a more continuous level with more events. Literally first good thing to come out of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

15,000 people watching live on John Rahms debut!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Watched about 15 mins of it but its like strobe lights- can't stand it for too long!

I'll watch it again in about an hour or so for another 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hard to watch it when pebble is on at the same time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Watching Rugby - but put it on there to see how Rahm doing - it all became clear to me - that , that tour and them course set ups - will be a joke for Rahm - lad is on another planet to nearly all the field.

Is almost like sitting into a comfortable armchair after a cardio workout flicking from Liv to Pga😂

I thought the same when all the big names moved before but they all seem to fall into a rut of mediocrity.

Very hard to care about money when you have enough to light a bonfire of fifties.

The titles aren't worth sh1t as they have no history or credibility and when you watch the guys you can tell they know it as well.

The Liv players have surprised me in the majors though as they all seem up for it and have played well in them. I thought they would have lost their competitive streak with their new lifestyles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Niemann is 10 under through 12 and on fire!

They have a really good field strength now tbf and I quite enjoy it just being shot after shot with no filler.

Pebble is obviously beautiful but you have to put up with some amount of BS to watch it.

I think Niemann is a star and will be a major champion soon enough.

LIV is still very young and many of them will have a degree of call it match fitness - this will carry them for a while. Also - they clearly have a far more relaxed schedule - and this maybe helps them stay fresh.

But this is all a honeymoon period - they will lose form IMO - see if Cam does anything this year in a major ?

But who knows - could be all merged soon and makes no odds.

Was trying to get my head around Hatton going to LIV.

But on deeper reflection - looking at his wiki page

The drama around Tyrell is great - but his record for a guy with his talent and who is 32 - is very very poor.

He only has 1 PGA tour win and his major record is a shocker.

LIV is money for old rope - and in reality - whilst he has a reasonable career - has earned great money , has a great record of getting cuts and mid upper level performance.

He is surprisingly underperforming.

I'm shocked at his major performance - if you are not competing in majors - you are just in golf to pick up money , there is nothing wrong with that - so, take the easier money.

But basically, Tyrell is admitting he has not made it to the top top.

He is very different to the guys in LIV who have majors - and very significant exemptions - Tyrell is just giving up - or playing a game that a merger will happen anyway

today he is in 32nd - and 1 shot behind G McDowell and H Stenson - it is a rather sad fall from a person who we all hoped would be a star of the game. .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pretty much agree 100%, but I always think it's a bit mad specifying a particular weeks results. This week he may be 1 behind the likes of McDowell, but sure next week may be 10 ahead. I'd likely be as guilty as anyone saying the players gone to LIV are past it for most part, but as is the nature of golf, 1 week doesn't define a player. They're clearly good players if these lads have made a career on pga tour. People were saying last week the pga tour finish was poor due to no big names...those big names just didn't perform well enough, such is the standard that these lads play at. Outside of rahm and maybe DJ, the LIV signings aren't too eexciting, but getting to be enough to destabilise interest in pga tour.

It’s the likes of Westwood, Gmac and Poulter who are more the comfortable to take the easy option which is fine but just shut up. Maybe they are trolling but they are just hopeless on liv and basking on the sun loungers into the sunset. Lucky to still be playing on it

Hatton is more a loss to Rory/TGL, a bit personal

Anthony Kim is back after a decade out and straight into the wheelbarrow events. Will he need to pay back his insurance payout? He comes out with a comment of haters I’m back. I’m not sure anyone hated him bar maybe Garcia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

What actually happened him! I cant really remember him to be honest or I am getting him mixed up with another Kim. Was he locked up? How did he get straight into LIV? wonder was he offered much..

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I think he got $10M injury insurance payout & that is one thing LIV has to pay back as the insurance payout is now null & void as he is now fit enough to be a pro golfer.

I know LIV hope this will get eyes on & if he had come back to the PGA tour it would have caused a level of interest but to add a golfer to the rota that will play every event who has not swung a club in a professional event since 2012 really does not add to alot of the arguments regarding the field and OWGR etc...

• Advertisement

but if he took the $10m he wasn't allowed play again or sommit like that

Advertisement