Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭roverjoyce

Rory still being the centre of attention and making the PGA tour all about himself seems to be over now.

Cam Smith, Bryson and Rahm could have been the stars but Rory wouldn't share the spotlight, it's all about himself and o major in 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The absolute **** state of Rahm 😂😂 Fox News, how apt. Looks like some hypocrite now. Enjoy retirement jon

Dafuq you on about? He was chairman/spokesperson of the PAC. Did you want him just to “no comment” everything? There was nothing stopping rahm or smith stepping up but they’d rather help the Saudis sportswash than try to lead the tour they made their millions on.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thewobbler

What an exceptionally prejudiced and poisonous take.

It’s not possible for an individual to make the tour about themselves. Even if they really, really want it this way, it’s not their decision. if it was then narcissists like Norman and Mickelson would have found a way.

but they couldn’t. You know why?

because you need three things to become as big as your sport. One is talent. Two is longevity. Three is charisma.

The last of those is impossible to explain. It doesn’t mean that’s your’e handsome or well spoken or funny or welcoming. Though any of those things can help, it’s never it.

and Rory has it. People are drawn to him. People will drive hundreds of miles to stand 10 deep to catch a glimpse of him. Rahm will never ever have that appeal. That’s the long and short of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lack of any questions about the Saudi regime etc., in the Q&A with Fox of course. Painful.

MOD EDIT: Read the rules please

Post edited by slave1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'm just surprised more big names haven't jumped ship since the PGA got into bed with LIV. Don't blame Rahm at all as things have changed since he made previous comments.

Agree with what Rory had to say yesterday.

I haven't watched golf at all this year outside of the four majors, and haven't missed it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭Trampas

Who gets bumped for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭paulos53

Bernd Wiesberger was released a few weeks ago. Matt Jones is also waiting to see if his contract will be renewed.

Edit: It is also rumoured that they will add an extra team for Rahm to captain and be a part owner

Wonder if Jon is off to meet Putin with his new boss this week.

MOD EDIT: No flaming posts please

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I thought liv and pga were the one entity now? Why are people still "defecting" if that's the case?

Can you not just play both tours like you would have played pga and ET?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭roverjoyce

Then why was he on to his cheerleaders Sky Spots last night

Tiger, Scottie, Viktor didn't run to share their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Because, like him or not, and I'm assuming you clearly don't, he has a position and responsibility at the top of the game. Maybe they contacted him ?

Why would the others run to Sky, a mostly British broadcaster ? Tiger's done (although he'd be the one capture the might really help LIV other than Rory), Scottie is the best in the world right now but is vanilla, nobody is hanging onto his every word, Viktor similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

Nigh on impossible to turn down circa half a billion when your career earnings are €50 so far; 10 times your career earnings to move to play less events where no one cares how you play.

Personally I have zero interest in LIV and Rahm moving would not change that; will be interested how he performs in the majors over the next few years as limited fields, no financial motivation will make it harder to maintain his current levels. Saw him as a player who could get close to 10 majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭paulos53

Their version of Q school is on this weekend. Amateur Max Kennedy (Royal Dublin) has made it past the 1st round today. There should be around 35 players in round 2 tomorrow with 20 of them going forward to a 36 hole qualifier on Sunday.

The top 3 will qualify for Liv next season and the next 7 will qualify for every event in the 2024 Asian Tour International Series.

Scheffler probably doesn’t know who Sky Sports are, and he’s American…ditto tiger (on the 2nd part). McIlroy is the #2 ranked player in the world (which probably kills you), so they were hardly going start with Paul Dunne or someone when they were looking for opinion or insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭big_drive

Surely something like this move takes the competitive edge off of any individual no matter how driven. Rahm will hardly be as motivated to play on something watched by a couple of thousand on YouTube. No matter what he tries to tell himself, when you've the money in the bank it's surely hard to keep the motivation. Even if he's in the majors it can't make it good preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I really wish Rahm had just said I'm doing it for the money, the whole providing for my family thing is such nonsense. I'd have no issue if he just said it was financial in the same way that Varner, Brooks, Bryson did (if I recall correctly).

The sooner the tours come together the better, the pro game is getting more and more diluted which is such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭big_drive

His family must have very expensive taste if it takes that much to provide for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I think Professional golf has done catastrophic damage to itself with LIV.

We now know with 100% certainty that a large proportion of the top players only care about money which is fair enough but why should fans care about professional golf if it isn't about competition and is purely means for the players to enrich themselves? That may have always been the case but the fans didn't have 100% proof that the players main interest was money.

Also a large proportion of golf fans are never going to take to LIV and with all the players leaving the PGA tour it means the PGA tour will be less enticing for fans to watch , once fans stop watching and get used to not watching it'll be hard to get them back (that's why sports leagues were so desperate to get started quickly during COVID), I find that there were lots of things in my life I gave up and realized fairly quickly I didn't miss them at all, the same will happen with golf if it hemorrhages viewers because of the LIV/PGA conflict.

There is also the fact that so many of the players now look like complete sleazebags and Golf has always had a negative perception (fairly or otherwise) due to the sport being associated with rich people and lakcing the common touch , this just further emphasizes this.

Mackenzie Hughes below makes a lot of good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I loved watching Rahm and will miss him from Sky Golf now. Very few characters left to follow now. I think golf is in a bad place since LIV came into being. Many of the good characters are gone to LIV.

• Advertisement

Lot of good players gone, but the product is so bad I wouldn’t even dream of watching it. Even the website is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rahm is some turncoat but must be very hard when offered so much money, to hear Rahm saying he wants to grow the game was comical.

Standard events will suffer like we won't have Rahm coming back as 2 time Irish champion but the majors will become more fascinating as we'll have the LIV guys versus the good guys, a Ryder cup style event of PGA TOUR vs LIV would be amazing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Exactly

and those ‘grow the game ‘ comments are the exact ones Rahm was giving out stink about when other people used them excuses.

I wouldn’t want a PGA vs LIV event. It would only glamourise and increase potential popularity in LIV which I wouldn’t like at all

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shank Williams

Delighted for jay Monahan - **** him.

why should anyone be loyal to the pga tour?

now if only LIV would change pretty much everything about their product i might watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The lesson from this Rahm turnaround is players should just keep quiet and get on with their golf. Rahm has totally gone back on his word for the money. I don't blame him for taking an offer like that. But he has shown the world his word means nothing.

Rory is another guy who opens his mouth far too quickly (and often), he is out there batting for the PGA Tour, an american tour when he himself is European. If more and more players go to LIV its going to be embarrassing for Rory to backtrack on all he has said.

Just saw his interview with Sky Sports. Holy crap, what a steaming pile of **** 💩 😂 talking about how he was drawn by the “innovation of the product” to join LIV after ripping the same ‘product’ a year ago and how he can “reach a bigger audience” now. Newsflash, Jon, about 15,000 people watch that ****. Brings Seve up as well, which is jarring, Seve would be turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He stayed loyal to the PGA Tour when it supposedly stood for something. When the PGA Tour got into bed with LIV everything previous was erased.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Lads, how soon we forget when Johnny sexton took the Frenchman's franc and abandoned Irish rugby only for the irfu to forgo their policy of not picking foreign based players. Not too many pointing that out a few years later when he is Ireland's golden boy again. Same will happen to rahm. He is too big and the pga will make exceptions.

Is Rahm bigger now that Bryson or Brooks were when they left?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

If they get Aberg then I might be done watching golf outside of the 4 majors and Irish open.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement