Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum Wage - How can you survive ?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pancratic

Migration is not the single issue. But it is very significant.

Migration is net inward, so banning emigration isn't going to have much of an effect. Even with the outstanding problems in place, basically no available housing etc, people keep arriving.

It's quite a complicated thing all round. What you're really looking for is an equalisation within all facets of the country, something that has been deeply upset via external exposure.

In other words, it's not going to be easy, painless or quick.

The likes of businesses reliant on cheap imported labour just have to be let die, adjust, move out of the way for other sustainable business. Temporary subsidies perhaps. But there's no easy way to wean off cheap labour.

And so on. Very, very complicated.

But it's either tackle it now, or tackle a bigger problem later. There is no avoiding this.

You just cannot keep pretending that more people need more people need more people need more people ad infinitum. We need 200 million more migrants to look after the 100 million more migrants that are needed to look after the 70 million migrants to look after the 50 million migrants......because we needed 4 million migrants by 2050...in a country the size of Ireland. People genuinely don't question this.

All this talk about conservation and sustainability, yet the least sustainable practice ever seen in this country is given a free pass. Practically invisible.

But reducing the population is where the answer lies. Doesn't matter who, danish berserkers or pygmy tribesman, it only matters how many.

After all, is it easier to build an entire house with teams of people over a year with costs and labour and materials and effort...or some guy rubber-stamping a denial on a bit of paper? Which will make a more efficient, quicker impact on housing scarcity?

Minimum wage living in many parts of this country must be unliveable, many more following hot on their heels. There's no juice left in this squeeze.

And just there the taoiseach at the cork chamber states that the "dramatic" increase in population from the 1990's is the single biggest contributor to the housing crisis.

Well, I never!

Of course it's dressed up with all sorts, but there's admittance happening. Including the mysterious meetings between the housing Minister and shmidt regarding EU movement and certain rights.

Shocking, I tells you. The broken narrative that housing and migration are not connected is on it's last legs. You can't duck and dive reality forever.

It's all connected, unliveable wages, unaffordability, housing, healthcare, schools...everything. Commonality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where did anyone say that housing and migration are not connected?

Like, literally a few posts above??

You'd need to be off your rocker not to have seen the defence force against linking migrants (whoever they may be) and the likes of the housing situation for bloody years now.

All deflection was put on the ridiculous dead end mantra of "just build more houses!"

"No, no, migration is only ever positive news. Nothing to see here."

Maybe you've lived under a stone, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭a2deden

Are house prices too high, i dont think so based on supply and demand, 75% is way to much of a overprice, its not that much

The biggest issue i can see is we lost a generation of builders...maybe two due to the tiger collapsing.

And now people dont want to get involved in the industry. The amount of houses will never be built unless this is fixed.

It doesnt matter who is in government

Like i know one or two lads my age thats involved in construction, at 18 i knew 30 but like myself they went to University or got work in different fields

Supply and demand deosnt apply to a market,where forgien investment funds with infinite demand and funds can force people from the market and extort money from the natives

People on average wage,cant afford to buy an average home,looks obvious to me,easy to extract from above data,that prices are too high and a 75% reduction is reasonable to aspire for

The technology surronding rapid builds/modular and icf should in theory collapse the time-frame,labour requirement and costs surronding building houses....(ideally the state should build/force nationise an insulation factory and manufacture our own for new builds/icf and subsidise retrofit every house in state)

There are insane prices going for houses which we would have considered badly built thirty years ago... that's one of the problems. The focus has shifted away from the quality of construction to simply owning a house in a relatively desirable location.

We really need to a tier system in regards to housing, and the range of pricing attached to them. That way everyone has something within reach of their income levels. It might not be perfect, but people really need to get past this irrational expectation of a perfect house (that they haven't built for themselves, or are not prepared to pay the money for). Your point about modular housing or modular apartments fits perfectly into that..

I entirely agree with a tiered system and much much more regulation upon the market and the spec/size of houses being built is farcial (i speak about rural monsters as some in my area are closer to hotels than homes)

Even large scale,very low cost apartment blocks in every town/reasonable sized village should be looked at.....

while soviet era apartment blocks are rightly mocked as being grim,to my eyes its a better option than renting endless hotel rooms and forcing families to live in em....if people want fancier/better homes,let em pay/build em,but have a base standred always available that noone is allowed fall under,be that apartment blocks/houses etc

Not so sure about regulation.. one of the big problems with the housing market is that the government or local councils already have too much control over what happens. TBH I'd love to see the State remove itself from the housing market, allowing consumerism to reassert some control. The tiered system on quality falls naturally into such a consumer focused system.. whereas the regulatory influence of the State tends to stifle it. It's one of the reasons so many people want to stop being landlords.. the State has made it a horrible experience to perform yearly.

As for soviet era apartments, I stayed in one twenty years ago, for a month, and I have very fond memories. Amazing soundproofing and the heat rising from below was sublime. but yeah, people would complain too much about them here, even though they'd actually be a step up over many of the apartment blocks around.

I'd love to see Ireland embrace a bit of modern construction for apartments. My own apartment in Xi'an. 24 floors tall, mine is on the 10th (I'm afraid of heights), four large apartments per floor, two underground levels for parking, and full facilities including a dentist, doctor, supermarket, dry cleaners and a cinema in the apartment tower beside us. Not expensive either. Not wonderful finish, but no bad cracks and appears stable. haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Quitelife

It does seem wring that people who never work or are involved in crime get more or less free houses ( nominal amount out of their welfare) whilst those contributing to society paying taxs or who worked for 20/30 years cant get anywhere.

The never worked a day in their life family who are Irish are out breeding the working family Irish and migrant hand over fist and get everything unquestioned .

Advertisement