Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The business closed before the works started.

There was no fight to protect it - he left to go work elsewhere and chose to blame something unconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How’s things working out for him in the shop he’s working in now, the one with no parking in the vicinity?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

To be honest, I don't really care about the jeweller. He saw an opportunity to grind an axe while also getting some free advertisement for the sale of his property, and took it.

I do have an issue with all the media companies that uncritically published his near fact free rants. In my opinion, it's a huge issue that our media is happy to publish articles like this guys without providing any fact checking or wider context.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean if you even had a cursory glance at the plans you'd know it wouldn't affect his business or parking spaces any time soon. I'm sure they knew this but just like stoking the fire anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks for all your kind words. You’re all heart! 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Had the same question. Currently blocked by a big rusty gate at the Tolka corner of the park. The slow pace of DCC....... I'll be planted before they do the Deep Sinking section (after Castleknock Station) of the Royal Canal. Dublin Port also dragging their feet on their cycle way plan. More "consultations" needed no doubt.

Halls Pictorial weekly are used as corporate training videos for DCC and Dublin Port

https://youtu.be/PyDWLSrbzUw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

He focused a lot of his efforts on customers in the over 80s bracket. Then when they started dying of old age, they stopped coming to his shop.

Yeah, he had a right to fight for his business. But not to hold up development and improvement of the area for his own selfish needs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

While hoofing it to the bus stop nearest me yesterday, I had a bit of a rest against the railings. That cycle lane looks very narrow to me. Will a bike be able to pass another? Scary deep kerbs on it too, though maybe they were not finished. Nice paving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It won't be easy to overtake. But you have to take what you can get as a cyclist.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, seems the designers didn't take handlebars into account, those railings along the length of it are going to cause problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Posts deleted, partly on request of the poster.

A reminder: Moderators are volunteers and moderators posting normally are not moderating when doing so, especially when it’s not their forum.

Also: Legal advice / threats / etc or anything which ever hits at such should be emailed to Boards.ie, they’ll just be deleted here.

Please do not reply to this post.

— Moderator

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its why I generally hate segregated cycle infrastructure. But its not really being built for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Exactly, it's better than nothing. I'm sure the cars would love wider lanes to overtake too, we all have to live within the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Seen this on twitter, stop 619 on Amiens street back in use for the past month or so. Kerbing looking very well too.

Post edited by p_haugh on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking good. So how long before the utility companies dig it up?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just a general comment, but a two way cycle lane on one side of the road generally takes up the same or potentially even less space then two single way cycle lanes on both sides of the same road.

Such two way cycle lanes allow for wider bikes and overtaking and are generally much safer, while really having no impact on drivers (as they take up no more space).

For instance there is absolutely no reason why the new cycle lane up on Griffith Avenue couldn't be a two way cycle lane on one side of the road, it would have given us a much better design.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Stop 619 actually!

It has been back in operation since November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

No crossing light poles at the crossing points nor can I see provision for them, has sense prevailed?

Yep, I knew in my head it was 619 from looking it up, but evidently put down 620 instead. 😂

No crossing light poles at the crossing points nor can I see provision for them, has sense prevailed?

The third photo from that tweet shows that the holder for a pole is in place beside the crossing point, so provisions for lights seem to be in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah that's true, cyclists use the other side for overtaking from Clontarf to Sutton and that works well. I suppose the only drawback would be having to cross the road one way or another, but you're right, in hindsight, continuing the two way into Clontarf into Connolly would have been a good idea for overtaking cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

2 way cycle paths make even more sense on coastal roads or even roads where most of the turnoffs are on one side (and the 2 way goes on the other side). Despite the rubbish surface quality on parts of the Sutton Clontarf cycleway, I do love how you can go nearly end to end on it without having to stop for lights. Imagine if there was a single way each side, heading in Sutton direction and having to stop at every junction with the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Walked from St Lawrence Rd to to Clontarf Dart station this morning.

Cycle lane is looking good, but they've messed up the junction. The design is terrible.

There is no filter lane to turn left on to the Alfie Byrne road anymore and as a result there's a heap of cars in the Bus Lane

My mother works in East Wall and used to drive in one day and use the DART the other 3 (4 day week)

She's constantly giving out about people in the Bus lane. She went over to Clontarf Garda station to say it to them but they said they've no Garda available for that task.

Also was nearly knocked down by a Van turning left onto the Alfie Byrne. The pedestrian light was green so I was in the right. But there's a left arrow signal missing on the far side of the road. (There's one on the north side of the road but not on the island)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is that just a temporary issue @Beta Ray Bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Please god tell me that this is only a temp issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Think you might be wrong on this one BRB, there's a car lane going into Fairview, a bus lane in the middle, and on the far side of that, there's a left turn lane. The left turn lane has space for about 8 cars. Right now, as part of the traffic restrictions due to the works, the bus lane merges into the car lane well before the junction, after which it's a bit of a free for all getting into the bus lane or the left hand turn lane, but I've not seen cars in the bus lane yet.

What might happen in the future is that once space in the left turn lane runs out, cars will pile up in the bus lane, but that's the behaviour of people before the junction was worked on, so it'll be no different to before, and is just the standard junction layout that you'll see anywhere in Ireland.

I only drove through it 20 minutes ago, keeping an eye out as I'd read your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I passed here recently and my memory is that the left turning lane is permanently gone. To my memory, the pavement on the left (seaside inbound) is all paved.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The layout is changed, but there is still a left turning lane. This is from the Dublin City Council plans:

So CatInABox is correct.

They could perhaps put some sort of "bus gate" just before it turns into three lanes to keep the buses flowing if it turns out to be a frequent problem.

• Advertisement

It is hard to tell exactly, but it looks like there is more space for left turning traffic in the new design, versus the old one.

This is the old layout:

Advertisement