Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dmakc

Thanks, I see it becomes a bit more balanced once these pointless football provincials are over, problem is the meaningful hurling season is already halfway through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

Remarkable to think that after the 1st June there are only 9 Senior inter-county hurling matches left in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

@munchkin_utd I did a quick manual run down of whats on telly in the next fortnight, and roughly whats not

###### Week to Sun 14th May #####

-- GAA GO --

Kildare v Sligo - U 20 Football Final

Saturday 13th May 13:30 (Irish time)

Cavan v Laois - Tailtean Cup League Stage

Saturday 13th May 16:00 (Irish time)

The list that I saw has the Kildare Sligo U20 on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The list that I saw has the Kildare Sligo U20 on TG4.

I could swear that was down as GAAgo although maybe I just got confused with the other game at breffni right after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭C4000

Some of the Joe McDonagh games are on Clubber tv, albeit with single camera coverage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So fcking dumb that GAA contract those matches away and give the rights to Clubber where you need to pay a fee for each match when they literally have their own platform

In the old days the whole thing could be run off in 12 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Am given to understand BBC Two Northern Ireland is available on Virgin Media again, perhaps a bit late at this stage with the Ulster final looming.

edit: may apply to those with the latest TV360 box rather than legacy Horizon 3 and Mediabox STBs.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jaysus….. Fitzmaurice as co-com. looking and sounding like a tailors dummy.

Over to radio for this poster….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

He must be reading this thread and trolling you lol

Unbelievable rubbish tech, where did they get this spook from?

Once he started name checking Marty that was enough for me.

Bang! Get away from here.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

I would prefer if Lee Keegan just said "nothing to say" when asked a question. And even if he agrees with a superior pundit, he should say he disagrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

GAAGo is grand. Paid a reduced fee for it early in the year. And I suppose not all of the games are going to have the same production levels.

But how on earth did someone think Emyln Mulligan was a good co-commentator? He just says the most inane stuff over and over and over. Literally repeats what you just saw on the screen. "Yeah, he turned in his left there and kicked a nice score to bring it back to a one point game again" "He'll be disappointed with that one, 30 metres out, you really should be hitting the target" etc.

I mean most pundits and co-commentators don't exactly blow your mind with their insight but poor Emlyn makes Dessie Dolan sound interesting!

He gave a straight answer to the question about drink. It matched what the research had shown. And he gave more detail, by saying the elongated seasons of the past lent themselves to heavy drinking. Whereas the current condensed season rules it out.

And if he has the same opinion about Tyrone as other pundits, he doesn't have to hide that.

Hopefully they won’t have Fitzmaurice as co-com on any of the big games.

We really need to up the standard in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Fitzmaurice is very sharp on analysis. I think it's unfair when people here, not you, have criticized him for bring boring etc.

He really can read the game and comment on reasons why scores happened.

I feel ill learn something with him as co commentator. As opposed to the opposite, see above for Emlyn Mulligan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fitzmaurice is very good. His analysis is mostly spot on.

However, his tone/voice could be used as a lullaby as it really is boring and would put you to sleep.

He is certainly one of the more knowledgeable fellas around buy over the course of a full game, I just want to mute him. He would be better as a Sunday Game analyst.

Thanks lads for the input.

Now I’ll put my cards on the table and say I have nothing personally against Fitzmaurice, my criticism is totally based on the product on TV or radio.

I will also admit I have been a bit harsh and have been warned, and for that I apologise and will curb my approach from that area.

However , I fully agree with Shamo that he would be better suited to an ‘office job’ rather than the full game presence.

The Sunday game pundit would seem to be better suited to his delivery and input.

If I was the head of RTE Sport I would suggest the lad listen to a few a few Sky commentaries and learn from them.

No constant name checking the play by play commentator, come in in lulls in play, put some animation in your presentation, simple stuff like that.

Thats what I would like …..nothing personal, just a more enjoyable product I feel anyway.

• Advertisement

That problem being players going on drinking sessions when there was a longer break than present between games. Which is what he experienced himself. There was no need for a follow up. If he had rubbished the research, it could have prompted a bit of back and forth.

An example of how a bit of drinking could be indulged in, is a typical Kerry All Ireland winning season from the old days. Four games in total, 15 June, 13 July, 10 August, 28 September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Anyhow, this Friday its

Galway v Mayo in the Connacht Minor final on TG4 (deffered)

On Saturday

Carlow v Offaly in the Hurling Joe Mc Donagh Cup live on free tv

On GAAgo its Armagh v Westmeath and Derry v Monaghan

On Sunday

Dublin v Galway and Limerick v Cork in the Hurling on RTE

Dublin v Roscommon in Football and Tipp v Waterford in the hurling on GaaGo

Derry v Monaghan in the Ulster minor football final on TG4

I havent bothered with dates or times, the early and late games start more or less when they always start so no real need

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

TG4 giving a great example of how flexibility can play a big part in coverage dovetailing with programming constrants with the Connacht Minor final tonight.

Live coverage on the app and the TG4 player with deferred coverage 30 minutes later on TV.

Hopefully Fitzmaurice has a weekend off for the Galway ball game .

Wouldn't be able to take that… me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The sunday game have the sacred cow first up tonight. Surely to god with the tension and drama in wexford park it was a no brainer. Mad stuff.

Must admit the coverage on the Sunday game from the Provencial venues was very poor.

Long range camera shots, impossible to see the ball for a lot of the time, does nothing for hurling.

In contrast the Dublin Galway from Croker was much better.

That was my observation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Can never see the ball on TV at the uncovered stand side of Limerick. Don't know why that is, it always seems to be okay at Thurles.

The issue is the angle the cameras are positioned at Sunny.

Once the background is the sky, as in most of the provincial stadia there’s problems.

In Croker the high stands provide a darker background and the ability to get the cameras to get at a higher angle.

The production values of hurling games in places like Limerick and Thurles are seriously affected by this.

Lets call a spade a spade here, it’s not the product, it’s the presentation .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Agreed, the picture quality for the Limerick Cork game yesterday was shocking.

It didnt look HD at all, even the advertising hoardings were blurred and the contrast levels were way too high.

It was the same for the Clare vs Cork game last week in Ennis.

Very difficult to see the sliotar, I suspect RTE are sending lower quality cameras out to these grounds or not using a proper HD feed.

It really takes from the product when you are straining your eyes to see the ball, and I have good eyesight and a very good tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I've always found it difficult to follow the sliothar on TV, fine at the matches but it's difficult on TV.

Advertisement