Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 3) Nenagh Golf Club (23rd April 1130 hrs.)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

My mind in a different place the night before meant I didn't sleep right and arrived in Nenagh feeling like a headless chicken and knowing even before the first shot was hit that I would be needing to play with my B game today. I blazed a cracker down the first. Nice start. Then a putt for birdy. Maybe the A game will show up? Bogie. Blazed a cracker down the second. Then putt for birdy. Par. Then I pulled drive off the world on 3. Then my memory starts getting hazy. I definitely got the sh**ks badly and remember never feeling comfortable standing over anything with an iron. I got a kind of combo of tired/angry/upset at one point when I hit a few sh**ks in a row after a good drive. Due to tiredness I may not have been the best company on the course on the day and I apologise to playing partners. Enjoyed a bit of craic in the bar afterward and made it home okay without having to take a sleep break. I slept for nearly 12 hours that night and felt better on Sunday morning.

In hindsight it may have been a better idea to pull out of this one, driving long distance both ways tired, playing poorly and not even remembering half of it means I'll need to return to Nenagh again at some point to conquer it. It's a course that's length and shape should suit me! I do remember the greens were savage. One of the two driveable par threes in particular felt like it may have had a different weather system at the high end of the green where the pin was versus being short. Leaning over to marking the ball I did have a thought that had I tipped over off balance I'd likely slide right off the green myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭a post punk

You can sing that song in grey stones Fixde, we can teach you the Banks and I’m sure you’ll have a dance move to match 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For posterity, and to always capture, in infamy, the ingenious adaptable minds behind the boards golf society

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why did you use footsteps?

you know you can measure distance with your iPhone?

Well I know my golf shoe measures pretty much bang on 12 inches...and we were really just trying to improvise quickly with a solution...and I didn't even think about using a device on the phone...

Wouldn't trust the measurements on any Apple devices to be fair, useless gear 🤓

Anyway, get out with your good suggestions while you're off living the high life, sunning yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

I should have used my own footsteps to measure it out space. I was at 37 based on break80 stepping it out, reckon mine would have been 35. 🤣🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Another very enjoyable round with the Society last Saturday and was great to play the round with 3 lads I never had the pleasure of meeting before - I thought i'd met everyone at this stage!!

I was looking forward to Nenagh, after hearing a lot about the course, it was on my list of places to visit and i'm glad to admit, it lived up to those expectations. The greens though, crikey were they tough, spped of them caught me out a lot of times, some were faster than others I thought, kept you on your toes!! I've been playing well the last few months and was looking for this form to continue and thankfully it did mostly.

Nailed a drive 253m down the first hole leaving a short chip onto the green, after reading the course guide I wasn't going long but still ended up mid way up the green. I was hoping to keep 3 putts off the card but here I go and have one on the first, damm!!

Another nice drive on the second and onto the rear fringe of the green with my second shot and another 3 putt, first putt coming up short, I found this green slower that the first one.

2 good blows had me left of the next par 5 so a bit of work to do but sank a lovely putt for my par.

Steady enough on the next hole until I made a balls of the 5th. Hit an ok drive right on 5th but pushed my second left into the gorse and lost the ball. Too cautious with my provisional meant my first scratch of the day.

Few erratic shots on 6 & 7 but still scoring, hit my tee shot on the 8th onto the oposing fairway out right!! Some fun getting the bogie here!!

Finished out the front 9 with a nice par, lipped out for birdie but I was still happy - I was trending in the right direction!! NOT Doubles on the 10th & 11!!!

Made an absolute balls of the 10th trying to burst my drive, a horrible lie meant i could only punch out my second to the fairway and was a battle to avoid scratching the hole, a battle I sadly lost!!!

Another 3 putt on 12 for bogies was followed by a nice run of holes. Pars on 13, 14 & 15 should have been followed with another on 16 only or my ball to fall just short of the hole and a bogie.

I had a howler on the 17th - again trying to burst the hell out of drive I made a right mess of it. I actually hit a great second shot to get me back on line but like far too many times during the round, I over hit my approach shots which ended up over the back of the green, leaving me in trouble to even make doubles, had to sink a decent putt for the point.

Didn't take enough time to see my line on 18 after pushing my tee shot left, resulted in me being behind the large tree on the right of the fairway after my second shot. Had to punch out, chip up and two putts afor my double - mirrow of how i started my round!!!

There was some great golf played in our group from the large range in handicaps we had, am envious of some of the shots the lads had in their bags and look forward to hooking up with them again. What a drive by Eireyiddo to claim the longest drive!! For the previous 16 holes he was hitting his "Power Fade" but on 17 he absolutely nailed the drive and had the honor of signing the T shirt!!!!!

Can't wait for the next round already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Looked a cracking day from the pics, sorry to have missed it, really looking forward to Kells now :)

Not as many posts to filter through on this one, so just the one main prize for this, once again a lovely bamboo polo sponsored by Stinger Golf. Fix, you'll have to post under a pen name to pick one up or has one already fallen out of the box in your living room. Could you not get one of the committee out to set up for LD and NTP?!

Without further ado post of the outing goes to.....................

@spacecoyote

Class pics and extra points for the shared ingenuity in the group! I hope your clothing contract allows you to wear unicolour shirts 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Congratulations Space - thanks for all the contributions - I know last month was a funny one - with Paddy's and Easter - but at next outing I'll be asking people to post a bit more pre and post outing -

I'll be posting in a while an update on a few things - and about the new outing that is not that far away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement