Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 3) Nenagh Golf Club (23rd April 1130 hrs.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Thanks for the heads up Fix. Bit of a change in departure time for me so glad I know in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Enjoy tomorrow gents. Sorry to be missing this one, never played Nenagh before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Have fun tomorrow lads, sad to be missing it, but still knee deep in assignments here.

Looking forward to reading all the post mortems though!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Life is hard in Nenagh.

Jesus seriously regretting not layering on the suncream now. I've gone full lobster after the round today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eireyiddo

Yeah it was a day to resemble a slapped arse. Your not on your own. Beer is great for taking down the redness

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Results (provisional)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tigerwood1

Yeap i noticed a few red faces in the clubhouse alright but thankfully i am starting to get bit wiser in my old age and got the suncream on early😎.

Well done to concerned on great score 39pts on a tough course. With 24pts outbound i though he was going to cruise home but he managed to overcome a bit of wobble in middle part of the back nine to still get it done comfortably. Looks like my company brings your "A" game out with two out two wins. For a main course and desert i can make myself available for same tee time in Headfort😉.

First time to play with keith(didnt get his user name) he can certainly get the ball out there, a new contender for longest drive going fort.

The less said about break80s round the better but thanks for the fiver badly needed to pay my other deaths🙃

Nice course some great views i though it was very similar to claremorris would definitely like another crack at it.

A long day on the trip to Tipp.

A friend of mine asked me to go for a pint last night , he is a friend a pint is not a pint. So was a big start to a boards outing. As I arrived all was in order by Ballyk and Space - I'm getting a well justified name as a figurehead captain - all show, mouth - no action.

From even his holidays SeveOB had it all set up for us. Things are becoming so automated and IT based - one day we will be able to play online or in the metaverse.

And then it was summer- it was a joy to drive the country lanes (as Ed Sheeran would sing), we were back in the heartlands of Ireland and the heart of the society - rural golf clubs and sensible golf. Big resort course have a role in societies - but it is nice to play sensible real golf, in a real club at good prices and with smiles and scores on the cards as you walk off. But - the wind had something to say. I'm sure there would be a big big score out there on a calm day - but even the par 3s - placed big demands on bigger clubs - par 5s that you should be able to reach , were just that extra bit demanding.

We were last out - (Bakerbhoy, Richie, Doublecross) - we were very fortunate to have great lines from Doublecross and a few tips on pin positions. But the true fortunate aspect, was the joy of watching and listening to the true swing speed of a great golfer Doublecross. That vibrating "whooosh" of the shaft in air - that is rare to hear in an amateur golfer.

Richie - you can see is a great golfer and will be one to watch this year , he looks very cool on the course too when he keep the sun glasses on. Bakerbhoy is a serious competitor - he will be one to watch for golfer of the year. Once he doesn't burn himself out with the travelling and pacing himself, on and off the course 😉

On the golf course - I really enjoyed it , the variety of holes and shapes made for a strategic day - I'd imagine the greens can get a bit silly , but overall it is fast sensible golf. The best part for me was that feeling of total isolation, the great weather, countryside and company.

I had a new driver in the bag today - and overall it was a big success - I'm still struggling to score from very good course positions , but hopefully when the ground firms up a little more it will help me. When I got to the clubhouse , it was lovely to see it full and great chats going on - Charlie and Space had all the work done and it was time for the figurehead captain to hand out more fecking balls - I've a pain in me ............ with balls.

Was delighted for concerned to go from near last in Carton to top of the list in Nenagh - there is always the next game in this wonderful sport.

Well done to all the winners and thanks again to Doublecross for organizing ( a great golfer and sound man)

I'll try come up with different ideas for prizes in next outings like , even non golf stuff.

As I hit the road for Dublin after a long day - a blinding stunning red sun was setting on my back, the journey of life can be an amazing powerfull thing. It can be painful too - Boards outings make me reflective, they are like a chapter end. As a day out they make no sense, the travel, the time , the effort , the fuel , the at times, slow play. But then, you see a hill, a sun set - think about this amazing country and people we have. You think about it again and go. That was class.

Thanks all

Fix.

By the way - thanks to the great improvisation on the NTP and LD holes - a piece of cardboard and rather bizarrely an old tee shirt (who did that) 😂

I love improvisation in life.

I'm definitely handing that out in the pub on captains night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ciano15

Great day out didnt play my best golf still managed to scrape 36 points, i was one of them boys with a big red face in the clubhouse. Pakman - paul kelly had the t shirt in his bag and said to use it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Would love to add to the prose but apart from a bit of craic here and there with playing partners and the odd glimmer it was just one of those to be forgotten days.

I had two good shots all day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Good shooting Ciano - I'm red in the head too.

Yes Pakman was first name on it (not sure how long his was) - but the winning drive from eireyiddo - was a monster , must be 300 yrds +

Sadly the tee shirt looks too small for me 😂

What I want to know is who was carrying around the empty Dunkin Donuts box in their bag?? Genius re-use as the NTP list

It was a great bit of improvisation by Pakman, even if he did have to go bare chested up the final hole. If the scorecard was in meters(someone might clarify before my Billy big balls explode) The missile was 310 meters(150 left to the pin on the GPS) and I don't think it will ever be done again by me. All my ducks wer in a row. The gale just took it and I bizarrely drew the ball unlike my wonky signature power fade . It was an enjoyable day out, bar shocking putting all round I only hit 4 or 5 bad shots. Thanks again to conzi, charlieIRL and Richie again. Good craic all the way round

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Class day out with boards again. Had to negotiate with a couple of tractors through some tight spots on the back roads on the way to the course, but was worth it for a very enjoyable day out.

Got to play with a familiar and a new face in Pakman and Ciano. Two nice golfers with tons of potential to drop their handicaps.

From talking to him over the years i know that Inconsistency can plague Pakmans game, and it was a little on show today. Started great, fell apart in the middle, then a great back 9 that could have been even better. He sacrificed a shirt to the LD gods and his original mark has just beyond 260 mark (mine measured 260 and he was a yard in front of me)

I was the man that found the Dunkin Donuts box in my bag...obviously every diabetic needs to keep a little box of donuts on hand 🤔

Ciano a class young player. Bags of distance and a beautiful powerful flight on his drives. Hits really positive putts. A bit of time and dedication to his game and maybe taking a little more focus on the short ones and wouldnt be surprised to see him drop to single figures within a year.

Nice highlight for the group were the approaches to the LD hole, Ciano had trouble off the tee, and then had to hit his 2nd under trees. He had 260 left and stuck a 3w on the green. Myself and Pakman were beside each other and then both hit our approaches onto the green. So 3 on the green, 2 Eagle and 1 birdie putt between us. Finished up with 2 birdies and a par, but was great to walk up to the green and see all 3 balls on the dance floor with 200+ yard approaches for all of us.

The course was interesting. Maybe a few too many dogleg left holes making some holes feel a little repetitive. Condition was great though, and some nice elevation changes. Brutal green complexes and some nasty pin positions. No wonder Doublecross is such a good golfer. When you can get to single figures playing there, greens on most other courses must seem like a doddle.

Played steady enough myself. 34 points, 17 and 17, with about 5-6 3-putts. Was too tentative on first putts leaving too much with the second a few times, and a couple of weak shorts ones on top of that too.

Bit of craic afterwards. Poor old Bobster will be suing Ballyk for compensation after seeing his handicap on the day.

See yis in Headfort, can't wait

That was a cracker of a hole, 2 sneaky bunkers just before the green after a proper hill walk knee knocker up to it. Favourite hole by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I went with the approach on that hole of...'I'll aim at the bunkers off the tee, then I'm guaranteed to not hit them'

Straight into them and, for a fairway bunker there was an insane amount of sand in it. Had to play a greenside bunker style shot out of it, so only could splash it out about 10 yards back on to the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Snackbox20

I think this was the first par 5, oh yes, my 🤬 ball went in there after my 2nd, a grass cutter turning into a trickler and then plop, gone to god.

Just after 3 days of golf and finally getting my musings and report of play down on the comment box. Had a great day playing this gem of a course only up the road from home, the only downside on a sunny drive up was that from Cashel to Borrisoleigh the radio dies out as the signal is cack and to try root out a cd when I was getting petrol in Cashel.

Got there nice and early for once and met CharlieIRL on the practice green, we still can't think of that American Golfer 😂😂. Also caught up with Bakerbhoy about some of the golf courses in Waterford.

They say the world is so small and you could be talking to anybody, when we were waiting to tee off on the 1st tee, I met my playing partners, (all first time playing with them) Bobster, Cedar, and A Post Punk, turned out that I worked with Bobster years ago in retail and A Post Punk has a relative living in Clonmel who I could have crossed paths and not have known.

Now to the golf, I probably jinxed myself when I warned you all about the runnif the greens, my putting is still out of kilter as there were putts lipping or lagging short for pars or as Captain said afterwards, you must have had a few putts for scratch 😂😂😂, there were some great shots played amongst us all, punk has a very solid game, Bobster hopefully will have his handicap adjusted correctly for the next outing and get those shots back for the next outing 🤪, cedar had some great shots coming together at the end of your round, especially your finish on the 18th. I was delighted at the first time getting on to a par 5 in 2 but even more delighted to still make par 🙄.

I loved the Mcgyver like approach taken by both Pakman and Emmet for marking both the long drive and ntp, I met Pakman in the pro shop buying a glove to which the pro said remember this when in your speech, hopefully you didn't have to buy a shirt after your round.

Really enjoyed the day yesterday, congrats to Concerned2 on your win and to the other prize winners, hopefully someday @charlieirl I might finish above you 😁😁.

Looking forward to another new course, headfort, never played before, so better top up my purse and back out practicing.

Till the next one folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Concerned2

So I did my best Ben Curtis impression to come out of nowhere and run away with the spoils ! Just to illustrate how unlikely that was to happen, in the last 2 society outings I scored 16 & 17 points. I didn't par a single hole over the 2 outings. I reckon it's all down to playing with my lucky charm, send on your dietary requirements Tiger and there will be a dinner & desert waiting for you in Headford :-)

I reckon like the last time I won I did nothing spectacular, just drove the ball pretty straight all day and managed to score very well for the first 9 holes. I think as the round wore on I became less & less confident on the greens. I'm not sure how every one else found them but the combination of how quick they were and how undulating they were reminded me a bit of Augusta ! Anything above the hole was just a nightmare on some of those greens.

Tiger hit some good shots without his round ever catching fire. I reckon if we had live scoring around the course he would have squeezed out at least another 3 more points in the round !

Keith hits the ball a country mile , I have never seen anyone with a handicap over 16 hitting it remotely as far. The day those shots straighten out everyone else may as well stay at home.

Break80 had one of those days when the driver just would not behave. Just in the very last hole he hit a great drive so some green shoots there for the next day. Sure if I can go from 17 points to 39 there is hope for anyone out there struggling !

Fix must have had some premonition that I was going to win , the putting mat is the perfect prize to try and sort out my rubbish putting ! Thanks to fix and all the committee for the hard work ye put in & I'll hopefully see ye all in Headford.

• Advertisement

3rd outing - no speech for the winner - sorry again all - could someone tell me to shut the F up next time.

No, normally I'm very anxious to get people away as soon as possible, as, a long wait and day for all.

But - I need to calm jets too.

I'll Line all the winners up at some outing and force them to talk 😂

Found the Tee Shirt this morning , could come in handy at a later event.

It is lovely to see in the photos, nice work all - I made the comment a few times with the lads. As a links player and I guess over covid too - I didn't get to see that green in a while. I vaguely recall a geographical area called the Golden Vale - and you could see that land and colours were stunning. I liked that simple up and down cut in fairway. Anyway - nice to get out of the city again - I think there are so many things that you kind of lost touch with in life during covid. Unless , it actually makes you look at things in a different light now.

Anyway - catch all in Headfort - we have 36 slots for this one - hopefully about right. Again , can be hard to judge - I've asked for more slots , but as people are probably aware - Saturdays , general pressure on time sheets, is going to be a factor for all golfers in every setting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Another great boards outing on Saturday, early rise for the dubs for a change taking us out of the big smoke and down the M7, I have never seen as many Garda cars as I did on the way down picking out the speedsters cruising up and down the road. Luckily I had left on time and with some spare to visit Obama plaza to stretch the legs a little, just can't seem to pass by that place.

On to the golf... met my 3 playing partners on the first tee concerned2 and tigerwood1 lamenting at how they haven't played or played well in a while, lining myself and break80 up for what was to come, solid golf from both of them. Full disclosure I did mention that I don't tend to use fairways much so there'd be no placing for me. First tee shot made me out to be a liar, straight down the middle so I was thinking this could be a good day... was quickly placed firmly back in my box when the second, a 9i sailed straight right into the gorse... and the day went like that, green complexes were undulating and lightening, pin positions on some were very tricky (4th stands out, on top of 3 tiers) and the wind, I'll be honest I had no idea what way it was going, so it was a real hit and hope from me. But nenagh is a lovely course and was well worth the drive, some of the views outside of the actual course were spectacular, that sea of green from the 13th green. The course itself is in fantastic condition

I thought I had a decent shot at the long drive if I kept it on the short grass as did my playing partners, I had 2, for me, excellent drives around the 300yd mark albeit with wind, downhill and one with 3 off the tee on 12 leaving a gentle 8i to a par5.

Stepped up on 17 full of confidence, I shouldn't have been, done the usual tried to burst the ball and skidded it 160yds down the fairway and behind a tree, typical. For the long drive champion this week, my shot scope places it around 310yds, as I think I was about 20yds shy in 2 shots for 286yds... so your GPS is not lying to you, it was a beast, bottle it up and do that again.

Thanks to my playing partners for a thouroughly enjoyable game of golf, well done Concerned2 on the victory after a very solid round of golf. Thanks again to the committee for arranging another great day out, looking forward to headfort for the next one and 3 new boards faces to chat to for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭a post punk

Played with Snackbox, cedar and Bobster, very enjoyable round , thanks again lads! on what I found a tough course mostly on the greens. Snackbox was the best golfer on our 4ball all day and was sure he had a better score than 33 points… mabye a few errant shots cost him in the end.

I was sick most of the week and just the fact it was my birthday and a boards outing I dosed myself up to get out and enjoy the day. Weather was spot on in fairness but the wind was above normal making it a challenge to plot around a new course for me anyway….. lucky enough Snackbox was giving us a few pointers. I found the greens really tough to hold or at least hitting the wrong spots that the balled bounced on 40 yards or more. It just wasn’t expected on a parkland course for me for that to happen. The par 3’s in general were very challenging , the first 1 was 192 yards to the pin into the draft and slight uphill. I hit a great 3 wood but it never faded in just kept going straight over the next tee box into the ditch 😂😂

I only finished with 25points but no big deal , as Fixde said earlier it’s nuts the amount of travelling and time etc… but when your in the car on the way home you still had a great day and you go through the round shot for shot again as penance !! 😂

Delighted to see concerned get another win aswell under the belt, after a few tough results golf gives you that taste to keep you coming back……

Don’t think I’ll make the next outing lads so talk to ye in grey stones.

PP

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Great day on Saturday all round. The company, the course, and the weather were all fantastic. Happy to sacrifice a t-shirt but would have been nice to get it back with just my name on it :) , not very likely given the company I was in. Space hit some lovely shots and like us all got a bit punished with some of the greens, with them throwing him up more bobbles than any of us. His third after coming out of the bunker on the par 5 was up there and us both having eagle puts on 17 was a nice bonus. Ciano15 hits the ball a mile and I understood the comments before the round about whether his inevitable win was coming that day. I think his second shot on the LD hole, with an iron, went further than my drive.

Some solid golf played by me on either side of a complete breakdown after a petulant 8 on the 5th hole. Just off the green after two and went for a pitch that should have been a putt all day. Head gone and so was the ball back down the hill on the return shot. Made the turn with 12 points and determined to hit 30 to salvage something. 31 after 17 had me happy but a hook off the tee and some poor recovery play had me scratch the 18th.

Really looking forward to Headfort now. Played it in the Pierce last year in my first ever club comp and we won so I have fond memories. Its a great course like all of the selections this year. Thanks to all the organisers for all the hard work.

I have to say above was the bravest performance of the day - could see you were still not 100 % - If I knew it was your birthday - I'd have sung a song. Thanks a million for coming - see you in Greystones - we better get our head around a place to stay for the people hitting the pub after.

Seve - maybe start an early thread on that one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Finally a trip to Munster for the Leinster heads of which I played with 3 on Saturday - although in saying that, Nenagh being in North Tipp was closer to any of ye ROSSOCK heads than us in the Real Capital.

I had prepared for Saturday well, shot 34pts in an open on Friday, got my 9 year old to clean my clubs Friday night and with only the 1hr 45 minute drive to Nenagh on Saturday, I felt like I had a right lie in while arriving at the course in plenty of time for a bit of banter with Fix and a few others in the clubhouse before a little chipping and putting before my round. All going well to that point including the weather - the wind was a bit worrysome but that was not to be the story of my day....

I had the pleasure of playing with 3 fine golfers, GG, Hattons and AlanM - the conversation was flowing throughout the round, not an ill-tempered word on the course, some really good golf, and from the tee we were not looking for balls very often.

For my own round I busted one down the first over 270 yards with an audience watching - my playing partners astonished with my 21 Handicap but soon found out the problem - chipping and short game a real weakness, I ended up with a total of 25pts for the day with over 40 putts and about 7/8 duffed chips and not one par - golf can be a cruel game - I can't blame the greens even though I think they highlighted the work I need to do this year. Anyway onwards to hopefully Headfort...

Congrats to Concerned on a magnificent win in a tightly bunched group. Also to Doublecross for bringing us to his home course and Fix for being a magnificent host as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CONSI

Really enjoyable round, for the company more than for any of my well below average golf. Hitting the big tree on the left on the 1st should probably have given me an idea of how my day was going to go. Struggled all day on the greens, dont think I made a putt outside of 6-8 feet all day. Even long drive eluded me but came damn close to eireyiddo's monster bomb. Thanks as always to the committee for the organization. Thanks to charlieIRL, Richie and eireyiddo for the pleasure of their company.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sounds like the greens were very tough and the undoing of a few decent scores

• Advertisement

Unusual green set up ...in that if you are in the wrong spot , your guaranteed a 3 putt or even end up off the green ..

As mentioned, with tough pins and summer speed , would be near unplayable - yet was told fairly high points come in for the big events there...

Is definitely a course that if you played before you had an advantage.

On Tipperary, it is a very underrated county , future captains should look at a few other options across the County..

Some hidden gems , I remember seeing fairly high marks in Hooked for a few...and when fuel was reasonable , played a few of them...

We are back again this year to Dundrum..another one I love.

Advertisement