Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 3) Nenagh Golf Club (23rd April 1130 hrs.)

Options
  • 21-03-2022 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭

OK all - I said I'd stick up a post just to remind people of the date. The time sheet will open up on Friday 1st April at 1900 hrs. It is hard to judge how many will travel - we imagine it will be a smaller outing around the 30 mark.

So after the big courses of the first two outings. We are back to the true heart of the society. Day trips to rural parkland golf clubs. I have not played Nenagh myself - but was looking for a course that would be dry this time of year and good value.

Thanks to one of our best golfers in the society and a former golfer of the year (off a very low handicap) Doublecross. He has gone above and beyond sorting this one out. He has done amazingly with the green fee. So we will be keeping prices as low as possible considering the travel for this one. I'm going to try car share for this one.

Seve - is going to post scores later - but like all league tables , who is in the mix will start to take shape after this one. As my father used to go on about with the horses - form is form. The only thing that can stop form is handicap now 😂

So hopefully we do get lucky with the weather this time - we have been a tad lucky and unlucky with the first two - but it is always fun to laugh at it all in the build up.

So back on the road - as I said , this to me is a true Boards Golf Society day out. You get the breakfast - hit the road and some random coffee stop on the way , you are suddenly in the heart of Ireland looking at landscape so stunning, on the road and horizon. You end up in a golf club you never played - perhaps would never have played - and find out it was a 9 hole by Alister MacKenzie and turned into 18 by Eddie Hackett. The wonderful surprises and joys of our rich golfing Island.

So keep the date - hopefully Doublecross can give us a course guide as we get close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

My local guide tells me ''big changes in elevation but no trouble off the tee'' so the bombers have it the bombers have it.

Another weekend break away i think. See you guys there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I don't think I've ever played Nenagh so really looking forward to a new course.

A great advantage for me living in the midlads the course for me, like many, is just over an hours drive which is great. Like i said before - i really enjoy the monthly outings and i'm sure this one won't dissapoint.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No excuses on the travel lads. If i can drive to Dublin the whole time, youz can drive to Tipp! 🤣

Still over 3 feckin hours for me!! 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Break80

1 hr 50 mins for me. The car won't even be warmed up.

Carton, Nenagh, Headford, Greystones and Tullamore are all new courses for me this year.

Looking forward to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Nenagh is actually my only new course this year. The only positive is - It is a good 6/7 years + since I played most the others.

I'm due to go back to them at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

New course for me too for this outing. I'm assuming that it's extremely difficult. Aren't Nenagh one of the wonder teams in interclub?

Their 15 handicappers all seem to be able to play to about a 5 handicap in away courses from what I've heard 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just checked and won't be able to make this one. 😥

Ed Sheeran on the same day so home commitments means I can't make it. Gutted as was looking forward to a new course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

A new course for me and even though still in Munster, still about a 2 hour spin for me. I had thought I wouldn't make it but fortunes have changed for the better for once :-) Thinking we need to bring this title back to the Rebel county as well!

Course looks nice with nice green complexes. Can't wait.

Is this not what the in-laws are for.

Would Ed come - he likes an old drive down the country lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I see the rebels are planning an excursion deep into bandit country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I hope to be able to start to contribute and join in from here on. I have not played much golf in the last 4 months but this is only 45 mins away from me so i will try my best to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Snackbox20

You're in for a treat, had the pleasure of playing Nenagh a number of times with the work society. The big thing I will say about Nenagh is how andulating????? the greens can be and no matter where the pin position is, no putt is a straight forward roll in, leave your putt long on the green and you will be doing a bit of reading from both sides. There are nice wide fairways too, it's a gem of a course in the North Riding part of the county (an inside / work joke, the county had 2 county council's before a merger in 2014 the council's were called North Riding and South Riding 🤷🤷🤷).

A nice overview of the course can be found at their website here:

Getting to the course can be a little bit tricky too, best bet is to take motorways. Any of the contingent coming from Cork, you can take the motorway M8 all the way to Thurles, in Thurles follow roads for Nenagh and take the Borrisoleigh road for Nenagh.

Alternatively, you can venture via Mallow, Charleville, Adare on the N20 and join the M7 after the N21 at Ballybronogue. Continue the M7 for limerick and exit for Nenagh, exit 26.

If travelling from Limerick, or that neck of the woods, you can join the M7 and travel straight into Nenagh exiting at exit 26.

From Dublin take the M8 for Cork, continue until the M8 becomes the M7 after Abbeyleix. Continue for Limerick and exit for Nenagh, exit 24.

Once you come into Nenagh town you will be taking the main street (pearse street) and at Trade Electrical, you take a right onto Bulfin Road, which becomes the Lower Birr Road. This road will continue for approx 8km and the entrance to Nenagh GC will be on your right.

Looking forward to the outing and seeing you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So I’m going on a slightly longer road trip on Friday, as Doc Brown said, where I’m going I don’t need roads! Taking the DeLorean family to the desert for a few weeks. I didn’t get enough bunker practice in Carton 😝

we will only tip down a couple of days before the rest of yiz tip on down to Tipp so not sure I’ll be able to make this particular Trip to Tipp.

Ok all -

Time sheet open tomorrow at 1900 hrs - thanks Golfgraffix.

Hard for us to judge numbers again - hoping to get over 30 players.

We are keeping the price as low as we can on this one - to help with travel cost - and considering the higher prices for first 2 outings.

Thanks again to doublecross for helping out with this one.

So our first real Parkland course - soft ground kills my steep attack - but was out on parkland today and you can feel the ground slightly coming around - hopefully a bit more Sun over the next few weeks.

Nothing like a Boards road trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Im wondering if its possible for me to play the society in Nenagh with three other Nenagh GC members? (my uncles). Is the easiest way to do this is have them just book a line for all 4 of us a slot or two before the board soc block booking on the timesheet & I pay ye cash on the day? Or is there an easier way ye'd recommend? Cheers! Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

We won’t be releasing any visitors spots until closer to the day Tom. Society Members will get first preference and then if we feel we have over booked slots, they will be released back to the club

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

It’ll just be myself playing in the boards comp. Am I allowed do that on Nenagh GC members timesheet just before or just after the boards times? Thanks

Sorry already covered ...Tom we would prefer you play with society members for social reasons etc ?

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

All - there are 4 slots left. So seems to be good demand for this.

We will review on Monday and look for more slots if required.

Thanks for keeping an eye on forum and committing to the travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Looking forward to this - by April 23rd ground should be solid, we have had pretty much no rain at all with the last 15/16 days down this way and it's really telling on my home course which is normally pretty soft underfoot.

• Advertisement

Update ...as per notification and to avoid a waiting list ...12 more slots open...

They will be last 3 groups out ...please try stay as near to last group full (Myself) as possible....

Thanks Clubnet again for such fast response and administration.

Don't forget the 2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Won't make this one lads and ladies. Have the last few assignments for college due around the same time.

Already looking forward to Kells though, the good weather and faster greens really makes you want to be out there, but just have to keep the head down a bit longer.

Have played Nenagh a couple of times and it's a nice track, well worth playing. great that the numbers are keeping strong, I'll be way down the leaderboard when I get back out!

Once again I'll be reading all the posts, looking to be distracted and entertained in equal measure. Looking forward to feeling like I'm back on the first in Nenagh from an epic post-round run through - post-round meltdowns welcome too 😂

Enjoy the day everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Booked in for this. Looking forward to getting out of my golfing comfort zone. Only once have I played golf outside of Leinster...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Right lads, I hope ye are ready for the Pierce Purcell hall of famer that is nenagh gc. Get down good and early and you might get a tour of the trophy rooms 😉

The course guide posted earlier from the website is very good so no need for me to put one up. It’s tree lined parkland course but the tee shot landing areas are very wide (exception being holes 4 and 5) with rough always cut down so should lead to good pace of play. The courses main defence is its greens, short side yourself and you’re screwed. So I’d expect someone with good short game to prosper.

Societies usually play off the greens but that is far too easy, we’d be better to push for the whites. 11th for NP and 17 for LD. You have to walk 100 yards up 1st fairway to get to driving range, be careful you don’t get hit by someone on first tee when walking back. I haven’t played golf for while so can’t comment on course condition but usually very good.

Post edited by doublecross on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Right lads, I hope ye are ready for the Pierce Purcell hall of famer that is nenagh gc. Get down good and early and you might get a tour of the trophy rooms 😉

no doubt that means you are on the team this year 🥸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Doublecross if far too good for Pierce Purcell, or was that the implication?! 😉

Hoping to make my debut in it this year, might not have the requisite shots in the back pocket though 😬

OK all ...8 more slots to fill...Just need someone brave enough to kick off next line and should fill...Don't be afraid if you are alone in a slot we will back fill to 3 balls.

Anyway who is the brave soul to kick off another line ...build it and they will come ....

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

I'm in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CONSI

Looking forward to it after missing Carton, despite it being only just over 30 mins from my house I think I've only ever played it once

Advertisement