Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Never heard of him, and I'd wager 99% of people reading this thread never heard of him either. And we never would never have, only for the fact you brought this person up.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

You and the establishment can call them or anybody else whatever you like man, all you are doing is ignoring the current state of mismanagement that the establishment is currently involved with. Maybe you are in a position comfortable enough to ignore it, but if you aren't, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yeah there was no right wing in this country until all those normal ordinary people were forced into it, by big bad government

Much like how there was no racists in the country until all the foreigners moved here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shows up your claims that there is no far right in Ireland as totally false

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm not on facebook either, can't see that $hite. So unless you want to show me some widespread mainstream "far right" propaganda, you may as well try to prove that Ireland is infested with flat earthers because some sole account on facebook from Ireland says that the earth is flat. Which on facebook, no doubt there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There is far right, they just don't have the representation or clout to be important and ragtag rioters are too brainless and too dis organised to be taken as a political threat. They'll be on jail before they're in the Dail.

Far right is not automatically Nazi.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Well what are you you worried about then?

You should be more concerned how the establishment is running the country into the ground, instead of worrying about some non existent entity that "don't have the representation or clout to be important"

I'm in total agreement, but you and those like you want to purport all blame to something that you have literally just said doesn't matter, doesn't have the clout?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

There was a lad from the national party speaking in Hungary. Watched it on YouTube yesterday.

He was very knowledgeable about Hungarian and Bulgarian history, their struggles against the Soviet Union and how each won their independence. Made great comparisons to Irelands struggle for independence etc. Very knowledgeable.

Anyway..

He said almost all governments are married to the idea of globalism with the exception of Poland and the Hungarian government and that the these countries and our own fought for so long for independence from the British or the Soviets and then handed it all over to the EU.

It was interesting as in he is very knowledgeable but I don't think it is realistic for countries to go it on their own anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The party who's former leader was dressed up as the SS a few weeks back? On top of that, I wouldn't be fawning over a regime that is becoming more and more authoritarian and fascistic. Thanks for illustrating the far right issue though.

Well, it'd be nice if they didn't go on racist/xenophobic riots or harass librarians under the guide of being a "moral authority" for a start.

When I said "clout" I meant (and stated) they aren't a political threat - but that doesn't mean they're not a threat to civil liberties and everyday law and order.

• Advertisement

It's not. If Poland or Hungary (or Ireland for that matter) left the EU they'd be economic chaos.

Bigger countries like the UK are struggling with leaving the EU, so what chance would we have? Do people really think we have the political talent and know-how amongst conservative/euro-skeptic politicians to steer Ireland into economic prosperity via a strong (not nessecarily far) right ideaology?

(Not what you asked - I know - but Barrett (I presume it was Barrett) has no answers to these questions and no policies ahead of fvck everything not irish)

Doesn't make sense. Threatening politicians is actually a political threat. Pictures of nooses, a fake gallows with effigies of politicians, homophobic abuse outside the Taoiseachs home, TDs having to get grants off the oireachtas for extra security because of so much harassment, threats to stamp on the Presidents head, threats to kill the Taoseach. Sorry nah. That is all a political threat.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

By political threat, I mean to the point where they start getting TDs elected and having a say in Dail debates and actual law making.

Threatening politicians is not the slightest bit political - it's mob-mentality and threatening law and order and civil liberties as much as the riots.

No it wasn't Barret. I know what he looks like ,it was a different guy.

I think the idea is that there is still an EU for trading but no EU laws that supercede national laws. Also it wouldn't be Ireland going it on its own while the others maintain the status quo it would be everyone goes it on their own .

Anyway his point was that every western country is under the rule of globalism. That's the system used in every country and the opposition in every country (including Ireland) are also wed to the idea of globalism. No western country is nationalist - only globalism . The governments are globalists, the opposition are globalists.

So I would ask you - Is there any other way than globalism?

I was just about to ask the same question, but it highlights the problems with his argument: he has no alternative solution, just a nice romantic idea that everything is all nice and cosy feeling that we're lovely and Irish (or whatever).

The internet brought a lot of opportunities to experience other ideas, travel to other places and buy stuff from everywhere. And people like that - so what does he think that he's going to replace it with that'll keep everyone happy...?

The far right are also ironically enough globalist too. All the library harassment and censorship is basically an Anerican import. The UK and US far right are all cheering on far right in Ireland. So called "nationalists" and "patriots" in this country are cheered on by hard-core loyalists.

Terry Pratchet

I don't think it's possible either. The global economic system requires endless growth and human nature means we always want more. It's not possible to just unwind from the current system especially a small country like Ireland that needs to be part of the global network.

The other side of the coin is look to the UK who are further ahead. Do we want places in Ireland that are similar to Bradford or Luton?

Some might think it's great but personally I wouldn't like to see it but maybe it's inevitable since like the NP guy said all governments and opposition are globalists, it's the system

Is that not just people in different countries who have the same opinions and goals?

I don't think that is "globalism" or maybe it is.

Not sure when you mean by Bradford or Luton, but I'm going to assume you mean immigration-wise.

The thing is the NP are assuming people would happily give up globalism (including esay travel and easy trade) just to have less brown faces in the towns. And this is why they're delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What exactly is wrong with Bradford or Luton?

I have family in both, spent a lot of time in Bradford in particular and I am genuinely interested in what you think is wrong with these towns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Don't you know? They are on fire constantly, the smoke from infidels burning at the stake fills the air.

It's just more of the stuff that those who consume a lot of RW propaganda regurgitate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's be because they have sizeable Muslim populations. I've known people live in both and they never had issues.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think the idea is that there is still an EU for trading but no EU laws that supercede national laws.

Which utterly fails at the first hurdle because you can't enforce trading rules and market standards without a supranational authority.

We've been hearing the same guff from the Brexiteers in the UK for years now, how's it working out for them? Instead of being a rule-maker in the EU they're now a rule-taker outside of it.

The other side of the coin is look to the UK who are further ahead. Do we want places in Ireland that are similar to Bradford or Luton?

I'll ignore the racist dogwhistle for now. What's immigration from the former British Commonwealth into the UK got to do with the EU exactly?

Non-EU immigration has actually gone up since Brexit.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Reminds me of the kinds of things you hear from preppers in the US. The Christians and white people being law and justice so that's their ideal. Anyone unfamiliar brings lawlessness. Complete bs obviously.

That's what it all comes down to - White/Christian supremacy

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But... there are democratic ways to deal with what the government is doing. Why the gallows and nooses then?

Exactly how is the UK getting on - economically speaking?

The GDP Vs the other G7 countries who are in the EU of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

is your internet broken?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Jeez what a petty , pointless and uncalled for response.

Totally unnecessary.

Advertisement