Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Hang on a second. Ireland was hosting a very high-profile meeting at the UN General Assembly.

We literally elect politicians to represent us domestically and internationally. The United Nations comes under that.

It’s a pathetic excuse. What is the point in having TD’s if there’s no foreign or international policies?

Also, if it’s to do with the leaders being at the UN, why are TDs who are not in government being targeted?

There was no reason for this protest. It’s a bunch of nut jobs and scumbags trying to intimidate democracy and anyone suggesting it has to do with anyone else is making excuses and enabling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They are doing their jobs as our elected representatives by representing the country at the annual general assembly, every other countries leaders are there too, are they also sorting themselves out with jobs? You havent a notion what you are on about and tbh your posts are in exactly the same vein of ignorant paranoid conspiracy level arguments id expect to see from yesterdays crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It is a separate point but it was ridiculous that both the Taoiseach and Tanaiste as well as other ministers are at the UN. An expensive and unnecessary junket for the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Most of the scum at that protest yesterday voted for Paul Murphy, Richard Boyd Barrett, Brid Murphy and all of then in 2016 and 2020.

These are the politicians that tell this lot they can have everything for free and reject any need for punishments if crime is committed particularly if you're a drug user.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And yesterday hanging effigies calling for them to be murdered

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Ohh right so anything that doesn't fall perfectly in line with your beliefs is all bullshit is it?

Ah yes take snippets of what I said and post them together in an out of context manner.

There is no point in me explaining anything to you because you think you are right about everything.

You are the other side of the arguments version of what was outside Leinster house today. And those that hold the same views as you are just as bad.

I dont think they did they are all gemmaroids and id be surprised if they voted at all

But you were trying to excuse yesterday and randomly shoehorn lgbt people in out of nowhere suggesting that this was all a reaction to pride 😶

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That's incorrect, I was replying to another post that mentioned the mob were spewing hate about trans.

This has been explained several times.

Also please show me where I excused yesterday's behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've just googled it and it its unga23 which doesn't appear in the news until our leaders aren't here. it's not like they don't know when the first week of the dail after the summer recess is.

I wait for the un job announcement after the next election.

and yes I am a cynic when it comes to these meetings. they never seem to achieve anything.

• Advertisement

Yeah they should have asked the UN to move the GA opening to next week..... are you expecting a job announcement from the other 145 countries leaders that are also there?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bluedex

How do these fine upstanding citizens get so much time off from their jobs for all their peaceful protests?

They must have very understanding employers. Or maybe a lot of them are entrepreneurs and have their own business?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You are doing it again, infantilising the group. You are claiming that the reason they are out protesting is because they are being manipulated and incapable of thinking for themselves. Do you consider this true for any other protest movement here?

The other way of thinking about it is that they do not like the way the political system is running the country and their concerns are clearly not being listened to at all. I suppose this is less palatable because it paints the communities where these are growing as increasingly illiberal.

I tend to think it's a lot more of the latter that's driving this, rather than a few bad actors whipping up a frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You were replying to a post that never mentioned LGBT or trans - I proved this last night remember?

Here it is again:

The post you replied to:

Your reply:

So either admit you were wrong, or admit you were lying.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh yes. The "context" makes that all just fine and dandy.

If you're going to make posts attacking LGBT then at least own it. Same with your posts excusing violence.

What happened yesterday was a direct attack on democracy and the rule of law, so yes I am the exact opposite of that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Remember back when every second post on this forum was about how Enda Kenny was doing X Y or Z only because he was taking up an EU job any day now?

That's how silly this argument looks

BTW the Tanaiste is there because he's the minister for Foreign Affairs.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Actually namloc's post was just as bad, but in a much more cunning way. The classic "both sides-ing", now where have we heard that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Back when Kenny was in office he was sounded out to become commission president in 2014 by Merkel and Cameron and he was strongly tipped to take the role when Tusk stood down as well.

Legitimate reasons for Varadkar and Martin to attend the UN GA but don't know why Ryan is there too tbh. Many leaders stayed away this year, notably Sunak and Macron didn't think it worth attending and Biden was the only P5 leader to attend.

What are you talking about?

No one has excused violence's that is all in your head bud.

You are mad over a fictional scenario you created yourself...

You didn't prove it quite the opposite i actually quoted the exact part of the post i was replying to just to show you how mental your extreme reply was.

Believe what you like ive already debunked what you are saying with proof and tried to explain to you that you have the wrong end of the stick.

But you seem to insist on being outraged so have at it, i wont be spending the day trying to convince you otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You said the post reads: "They had been at a far right protest which had hosted speakers who were spewing hatred and bile against refugees, asylum seekers, immigrants, trans people, vaccinated people"

The post - which is embedded in your reply - consists of eleven words: "The extremist nonsense on all sides is beyond tiring at this stage."

I really can't make it any more clearer than that and to be honest, I'm more confused by your subborness in the face of proven facts than outraged, to be honest. You're the one who appears to be offended by using childish insults.

We're done here.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I am amazed you are still struggling to comprehend what i was saying even tho ive explained it to you multiple times.

Your efforts to twist the context and put malice behind what i was saying is failing miserably.

Anyways you are derailing the thread now with your incessant whining to me.

Have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'd wager that most of those in attendance yesterday have never voted at all, tbh.

No. You introduced LGBT into the discussion before anyone else did.

Terry Pratchet

You cant really call the violent, threatening and intimidating behaviour yesterday anything but illiberal.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Oooh I know this one. Is this the one where Trump said nazis at a protest were fine people too?

You posted a post that you replied AFTER you decided to blame all of yesterdays antics on LGBT people getting out of control. PCB is entirely correct. She proved you wrong. You bought some nonsensical point about pride into the discussion first.

Terry Pratchet

I think id know considering i was the one who created the post, and im telling you, you are wrong. She/he/they/them made up complete and utter waffle to be outraged despite being told that what they are trying to be outraged about is not reality.

Its non-negotiable you are incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You brought up LGBT, vaccines and refugees. Basically did a pick n mix of things that apparently outrage you too justify violent protesters.

Advertisement