Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine Homes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 canuckle

One doesn't have to look far to see examples of controlled narrative, exemplifying perfectly what I stated above, for instance, in the newspapers and telegrams, probably even more up to date methods of communication that are strictly controlled and watched. Truly, not far at all, it's probably under your nose.

Just the other day someone was telling me about their recipe for Kellogg's cornflakes of a morning. When I pointed out that he didn't mention milk, he told me, straight faced, that milk has nothing to do with eating cornflakes, a completely unrelated thing, like elephants. He also makes a living from an anti-milk ngo, but that's like connecting cornflakes and elephants, of course. Very strange!

Hopefully the war in Ukraine ends soon and we can get back to a more stable form of robbery.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Well my impression is that most of the refugees are women and children....any healthy ukrainian men looking for a free lunch will be getting a few raised eyebrows....but what happens in a few months when the war is over......daddy will be looking to come over too?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I really admire the host families as to have that much trust in a total stranger is very rare...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Hopefully one coming here soon, slight heart defect, nothing too serious but not allowed into the army because of it. His brother is in Mariupol. At least he was when we last heard from him, last Sunday. Put that into your perspective @StevenToast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

Well, this is how they are staying in Poland unless someone is lucky to stay in a private home but this is usually offered just for few days.

i’m no refugee but i’d opt in for Irish hotel service for sure, the word is out anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drop the COVID stuff. Do not reply to this post.

Actually, on seeing what you added to that post after I first saw it - don't post in this thread again, as you ignored the warning on dog-whistling.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

For the most part, Ukrainians are very educated. They work. Answer your question?

You are now.suggesting that landlords kick out their tenants into the street so they can put Ukrainian families into their homes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've gotten to know some of them. They are educated, worked at home and want to work here.

Some have good English, others will learn.

Most left, husbands,sons and parents back home. Not to mention nice homes and businesses which are now rubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wish we could take people in. But we just don’t have room. I feel awful for families having to leave everything they know to come here. Wish we could help.

Its beginning to look like Russia looking for compromise... game up for Putin... get to fcuk out of Crimea... this should have happened in 2014... Next Palestine....

canuckle - do not post in this thread again. Do not attempt to bring the content you were pushing here to another thread in this forum.

Thread cleaned up after ridiculous off-topic diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You can help in other ways . We are hoping to give a home to a family but I know we will need help. We will need help from others with supplies and lifts and lots of other little ways to help

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

The bottom line is the government need to cap the numbers. It is unacceptable that theses refugees be put into permanent housing that is financed by the state when there is a housing crisis currently ongoing. Repurposed temporary dwellings is where we currently are and without appropriate planning and consideration for communities and their amenities, that where we should stay for the moment. I am all for helping them and if some wish to stay and integrate into our society then good for them, I think they need a helping hand right now but I do fear that many of them will stay when they see how cushy our state is with benefits. There are alot of people making money from this, from hoteliers to catering and others who will try to keep this gravy train going and lambast those with genuine concerns as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Do you not understand that this is an emergency situation? Do you not get that?

A number of the buildings being used for refugees are disused living accommodation in convents, schools, etc. Nuns are dwindling in numbers and have left habitable buildings for a more centralised community.

Examples of convents here in Tipperary are

https://tippfm.com/news/religion/sisters-mercy-offer-templemore-convent-ukrainian-refugees/

https://tippfm.com/news/international/fethard-playing-part-ukrainian-refugee-crisis/

And in Cork https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40834853.html

I do! I also need to acknowledge the fact that there is and has been for some time now, an emergency crisis in housing,and an under funding in healthcare, school provision and childcare as well as issues with people affording old age care and nursing home fees. Do you not get that? Or do you just want to put your head in the sand and invite 200 thousand people into a country that is under serious pressure as it stands! Wake up, while every effort should be made to help a set number of these people, every effort should also be made to help our own, actually more of an effort should be made for our own, especially the net contributors to the country's tax base.

In response to Mary Anne 84,And they are the accommodations that we should be using, but these refugees should not under any circumstances be move into state assisted housing through the hap scheme. This is a real concern for working people seeking affordable accommodation. And it's a very valid concern!

• Advertisement

I think that you are overreacting. The refugees will be allowed stay and work in Ireland for up to three years. They’re being housed in disused, but habitable buildings for the most part.

You are not correct in that. Those staying with families make up a number. Most are actually ( currently anyways) being housed in hotels until such accommodations are ready. I disagree that I'm overreacting. Do you think 200 thousand is an acceptable number? If you do I disagree.

If refugees are arriving with children, they cannot be placed with families until Garda clearance and other welfare checks are made. The suggested figure of refugees is 100,000. Not 200,000. For a maximum of 3 years. I don’t think that it’s unreasonable in these unprecedented, emergency times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think we have to help but people should be in no doubt the pressure it will put in housing, the downward pressure on wages, the extreme pressure on health. Education and other services.

It will mean less public services and a more cut throat free market society.

No doubt it will fall harder on those here who have least and may well benefit the middle class and up were most of those talking about solidarity and internationalism tend to be.

It's worth understanding that it will fall hard on all people here but hardest on the bottom half.

I read up the page somewhere that 2 houses in a development was allocated to Ukranian families which is fine... what i cannot understand id there is no plan for housing and there seems to be no plan for this either we just "wing it" as usual...

I expect there be world funding for this so the money not an issue short term... then whoever decides to stay will be the same as us and be allowed whatever is going...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Of course there is no plan. 3 months ago, the scenario which has now developed was not even contemplated. In the early 1940s, bomb shelters were built in Dublin and they plan was drawn up to move the population of Dublin to rural areas in the event of bombing in Dublin. They took almost 2 years to draw up the plan by which time the danger had in fact passed.

Like her a lot, the Ukrainians are coming. They will take up resources which might have been given to Irish people are indeed refugees from other areas. When Ireland joined the European communities 50 years ago, it was the poorest country. Now it is one of the richest.. We have been drinking at the bar all night and now we have to buy our round!

We have being drinking and wasting the money we got on drink... we have the worst road/rail and public transport network of anywhere i have visited... Our health service is a mess but i cannot compare... We are still sitting at the bar... Its sad really as we should be the best country in the world.

Since you mentioned joining EU i was recently talking to a guy in a BAR and his daughter is teaching in the capital... lives sharing in North side... he said apart from the fact that he had to share a bedroom with a mate things now pretty much the same flat wise as he lived in early 1970s.

I agree with you about buying the round.... but i do not think we should not have a plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Predictable really although the report doesn't state the number of people that this tented village could accommodate. Realistically, we have the existing public owned land to probably have a few of these dotted around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

My point is I can see a number of these may have to be erected if we get to a number such as 200,000.

Advertisement