Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 1990s is a long time ago

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Black and white media definitely made the 60s seem ages away in the 90s. In 2022, 90s stuff probably looks sh1t to young people but I doubt it looks as old as the 60s stuff did for us.

Re: film grain and quality and general sh1tness, I transferred some good quality VHS recordings to mpegs for a lad recently. He is in his 70s. I warned him not to expect much and not to watch them on a 55 inch TV. He did anyway and couldn't get over how rubbish they looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A lack of Imagination on them so. Also Doubt back then it was the Mummy's buying more than likely there husbands. The clever people bought French or Italian as you got more for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hah, christ! Yeah don't blow anything up to 55 inches that was meant for a sub 32 inch CRT, calling it a massive blur would be kind!

There's a little bit of gaslighting of our memories going on here though, 'was it just always that shite?!'

If you actually play content like that on a CRT as it was originally viewed, it can still look surprisingly good. Standard def DVDs on CRTs look amazing. I keep quite a few CRTs around, mainly for playing older consoles and in my arcade machines but they're also great for viewing SD content. Great way to do it actually is Netflix via an XBOX 360 and it still shows full screen 4:3 SD content, none of those annoying black pillar bars each side. Super crisp quality, absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They were reliable cars though. Plenty of 90's toyotas still on the road. I'm almost the only lad left with a 405

• Registered Users Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye just very well made. If only all the 90s Peugeots and Renaults had of been made better. They had more imagination and style to them.

Good to hear. Keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Film grain is very important to the integrity of the image. If a movie was shot on film, you're going have film grain. Eliminate that and you're eliminating a lot of the picture. It annoys me no end to see a Blu Ray that's had multiple DNR passes and the image ends up looking waxy and artificially smooth.

Also, there's no such thing as "good quality" VHS recordings. But, yeh, looking at something recorded off the tele in 1990 will, undoubtedly, look dreadful on modern hi-res TV's. I am often taken aback at just how bad VHS was when I see it today. To think that that was the standard and we were all happy with it. 😄

@o1s1n I always wonder do kids have the same feeling about the 90s being 'ages' ago as we did back in the 90s about the 60s.

I'm not sure that they would in general. I probably mentioned it earlier in the thread, but our perception of the 60's felt much more removed than a 20 something today and how they view the 90's. Sure, it's "before their time" and all, but there really isn't that much that's radically different from then to now. Sure, there's better PC's, TV's, smartphones, etc. But in the grand scheme of things the changes don't seem to be as comparable to changes that happened from 1960 to 1990.

Also, as I've said before, I have pictures of me and my family from the 90's and they look like they could have been taken last week, excluding the ages of the people in them of course. Whereas if I look at photos of my parents before I was born, it's like looking at a different era entirely.

90s fashions are incredibly dated now

Are they though? I see a lot of people still walking around in garb that would have been at home in the 90's too. T-shirts, hoodies, jeans, runners, docs etc. Whereas, compare 60's fashions to 90's and it's a different world entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭PommieBast

My father was one of those who splashed out on an SVHS system at the time but ultimately the limitation is the resolution. Having said that a lot of the quality issues are from the cruddy job the deinterlacing/framebuffering on flatscreens does compared to the CRT sweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No way, I was on A J1 in 1999 aswell. Worked in town and paint supply in Hyannis. I might be in some of those photos! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

I was a teenager in the 1990s when Brosnan was Bond. I still can't get used to the fact that he is now 69.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

I think the difference in filmmaking from the 1960s to the 1990s is much starker than the difference between the 1990s and now even though the difference in years is about the same. I'd say you could pick any random film from the 90s and aside from fashion and perhaps visual effects if relevant, it wouldn't feel too out of place in cinemas today. But I definitely can't imagine films like The Fugitive, The Rock, or Silence of The Lambs existing back in the 60s in their current state. They would look and feel much different.

Kurt Cobain is now dead for more years than he was alive.

Ayrton Senna died 28 years ago in 1994. John Taylor died 28 years before that in 1966, here are their cars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The '90s were the last true cultural decade.

Most styles since then have been rehashed (although the 90's had a lot of that too. It was the foundation of it really).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

its the converter not the vhs in most cases. VHS looked great played to tv. Colours used to pop and be vivid.

I too converted videos from vhs last year - tried many composite/scart to usb converters and the video was washed out and terrible on all but two recording devices.

Best quality was using an old tv to dvd recorder.

when rte show clips older than 5 years old they purposely add a grainy filter to make the quality worse - i think to let you subconsciously know its not current news.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

I don't want to close my eyes

I don't want to fall asleep

'Cause I'd miss you baby

And I don't want to miss a thing

'Cause even when I dream of you

The sweetest dream will never do

I'd still miss you baby

And I don't want to miss a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I notice a fair few young lads/young ones wearing Nirvana stuff. Not sure if is a fashion statement or if they like the band.

On a more general note 90’s glasses seem to back in a big way. But then back in the 90's they were going back to the 60's for inspiration. The wheel keeps turning.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

^

Ah sure, there's kids going around wearing Ramones T-shirts and they've probably never heard a single song in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

I worked in the Getty out on Rte 28 (or 128) out near Mall Liquors/ SEARS ...

best job of my life .... im serious , I don;t think I was ever happier...

• Advertisement
Advertisement