Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 1990s is a long time ago

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Most of the cartoons made in the 1980s were blatant advertising. For instance in the 1986 Transformers movie Megatron changing to Galvatron was all about selling the updated toy..

Do remember being at uni in the early 2000s and talking about all the innuendo on some TV showed we saw as kids 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The bit that gets me even looking at 1990’s - in the title. My mind still thinks modern, forward thinking, hopeful.

I think it stems from the fact when I used to laugh at my parents for being old fashioned. I used to say ‘It’s the 90’s’.

But now the fact that I think of the 90’s as ‘modern’ in my mind still makes me old fashioned!

It is funny how the mind works all based on a certain reference point in time when your opinions/formation as an adult occurred.

Some things of the 90’s I don’t miss- the haircuts, shell suit tracksuits are definitely two.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Yes if you ordered a land-line it could take 6 to 9 months for it to be installed many homes had one pc in one room connected to the Web using a 56k modem eircom. Net plugged into the main phone socket terminal box.

Websites were mainly forums or blogs, personal journals with very basic graphics compared to modern websites eg a website would load with logo designed for ie 6, Internet explorer or this site is under construction limewire or Napster were popular for downloading the new file format Mp3 audio if you wanted to get music free. I think every drug dealer had a pager at one time. When mobile phones were very expensive, only business people could afford mobile phones,

Most of that stuff was early-2000s rather than 1990s (e.g IE6 was released August 2001).

But yes the web was much more of a wild west back then. People were still figuring all the UX stuff out so there was the sort of experimentation you don't get these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Usenet groups were so wild west. Like boards but with no mods / censorship or anyone worrying about "illegal" content. I think though all that stuff serves a purpose. Not a fan of the modern censorship & suppression of information or the official government narrative of "everything is rosy, keep spending to help the economy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Not wishing to step on anyone's toes as a newbie around here but the idea that there were no gigs here in the 90s is nonsense. Even at an extremely conservative 10 gigs year i would have seen 100 international acts during the 90s and i can assure you it was a lot more than that.

As for there only been Whelans and The Point? Again, not true. I saw international acts in the SFX, McGonagles, Top Hat, Tivoli, National Stadium, Red Box, Temple Bar Music Centre, The Olympia, Mean Fiddler, Rock Garden, Columbia Mills, Baggot Inn, City Arts Centre and The Furnace.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

God , the sexual innuendo is Playschool, (kids programme) was unbelievable looking at it with adult eyes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just listen to the great dance music of the 90s - this one takes me right back to my first year in college. 💕👍👍🕺🕺🕺

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Horn_of_Africa

Stop allowing yourself to be brainwashed and focus on enjoying life. Why are you worrying about climate change, who gives a ****, what will happen will happen. Wasting your life worrying is a bigger tragedy than climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I manage to resist it fairly well myself but its hard going when so many other phukkers to buy into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭babyducklings1

It was such a different time compared to now. Thing is my parents would say the 90s were so different to what times were like when they were growing up.

Seems every generation moves further somewhere. Computers and internet, electric cars, equality rights, green movement, and probably loads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Jeez two things just dawned on me.

There is now a larger gap between Wexford's last All-Ireland and the present day than there is between the start of WW1 and the start of WW2. Or, the period between JFK's assassination and the year of my birth (1988) is a shorter time frame than Wexford's 1996 triumph and today.

And United's treble in 1999 is a longer period of time than the inter-war years.

I pick those two milestones as they were the clear-cut sporting moments of my formative years, and my christ they seem an age ago when looked back on that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭BrianD3

28 years have passed since the 1994 World Cup. Same amount of time as passed from the 1966 WC to 1994.

Another one, I hear the actor Fred Ward has died. Him and Kevin Bacon played the main characters in Tremors (1990). Ward died aged 79, I was initially shocked that he was that old but then when I thought about it, 1990 is 32 years ago and he does look in his 40s in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

RIP Fred Ward, hadn’t heard.

I watched a film from the early 80’s called ‘Uncommon Valor’ last week that he, Patrick Swayze and Gene Hackman were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

"I dont remember having any existential worries in the 90's"

Yea, you were 30 years younger pal 🤣🤣🤣

It did swing both ways. Geopolitically it was that relatively calm gap between the end of the cold war and 9/11, but leaded petrol and the ozone layer were big issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You might be a newbie but it doesn’t take a lot of internet or life experience to know not to go around misquoting people.. and then to claim they are talking ‘ nonsense ‘

i never in fact said there were ‘NO’ gigs here in the ‘90’s… I said ‘feck all’ meaning not too many.

on numerous occasions at the end of that decade and later I’d trudged over to England to see bands and artists that for whatever reason be it venue availability or whatever just didn’t bring their tour to these parts… it was even common in later years…

not now as we are appropriately furnished with various suitable venues of differing sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On the subject of 'more times since X has passed than time since Y'

We've had a pretty active community in the Arcade and Retro gaming forum since about 2006. Can go back and read posts from then discussing us playing 'retro' games from the mid to late 90s.

Those posts are now 16 years old. The 'retro' games we were discussing back then were hardly even ten years old at the time.

9/11 and the cold war? That is just American centric thinking. in Ireland 90's was all about the peace process and resulting change. The resulting economic boom. And so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Saw that they are doing a rehash of That 70's show and setting it in the 90's. Crazy to think that a show set in the 90's is going to be as much a kitch retro thing for kids these days as the 70's setting was for us old people back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Decades of neglect did what the Luftwaffe failed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Apologies for misquoting. 'Feck all' it is. That's still not true though.

I can only guess that we have very different tastes in music as, like i said, i saw a minimum of 100 gigs in the 90s (going by the extremely conservative 10 a year. More likely to be 250) 99% of which were international acts.

How about the venue situation then?😉

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I still have a Dublin jersey from the 90's. I see some bus drivers now and think I have Dublin jersey's older than you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Sorry it's not the 1990's, but interesting none the less.

I recently found some tapes of songs that I recorded from the radio in 1990-1992 as was a common practice at the time (and completely alien to anyone now under the age of 25).

Lots of great songs from the 1960s on my tapes. Less time passed since those songs were released to when I recorded them than from when I recorded them to now.

I can't remember how long ago the 1960s felt in the early 90s or how well regarded that music was in the 90s. I also don't know if it was unusual for a lad in his early teens to be making mix tapes of music from well before he was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

pre 2000 was so 'backward' with technology when you think of it though - mobile phones were still fairly rare and were certainly not smart.

Telecom Eireann was the only only show in town and they were telling us they wouldnt set up broadband as not enough customers to their knowledge was interested and sure didn't they have ISDN lines if you wanted "fast" internet(0.128 megabit speeds while being charged per second for two phone calls all the time while online).

Netflix was s service that sent you dvd's in the post - you got a new random one every few days from your list of favorites, sometimes so scratched you couldn't watch them.

:)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Fook, I was just listening to my Smashing Pumpkins CD on my Panasonic boombox Mellon collie and the infinite sadness when I checked the release date was 1995. But the real head wreck is when you start comparing the time gap to today to that of the sixties, the equivalent to listening to the Beatles revolver in 1995.

🙈🙉🙊

1995 was a great year for music, great albums and memorable events which were a big deal at the time e.g. The Battle of Britpop and the return (sort of) of The Beatles.

Number of years that passed from the breakup of the Beatles to the release of Free As A Bird in 1995 = 25

Number of years from release of Free As A Bird to now = 27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always wonder do kids have the same feeling about the 90s being 'ages' ago as we did back in the 90s about the 60s.

90s fashions are incredibly dated now, but actual media content from that era isn't too far away from current stuff for sheer visual fidelity. You've a lot more film grain and then some of it is 4:3, but much of it (the likes you'll see on Netflix) has been upscaled to look closer to modern TV and cleaned up.

In the 90s, any 60s era media looked absolutely ancient. I grew up watching a lot of black and white shows from the 50s/60s like St Bilko, The Adams Fmaily, The Munsters, Betwitched etc and the black and white made them feel like a different age entirely.

Advertisement