Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 1990s is a long time ago

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Privacy is gone out the window, everything is far more monitored and controlled. Big tech companies are vying like mad to monopolise the feck out of everything. Lots of jobs now being threatened with automation and robot overlords. The boom/bust cycles will continue to happen as long as capitalism exists. Optimism is good, for some reason we have never really got back the pre-2008 sentiment, only the high house prices

I dont either. Doesn't make sense to be skimping on a few drops of petrol where Pewtin is blowing up whole storage facilities. Got meself a boat with a nice smelly 2-stroke outboard a few years back. Mighty job. I am all for renewable power but I'm not going to sit around being miserable & depriving myself. The only problem is that people generally appear to be hung up about these things, they no longer feel free to enjoy themselves to the extent that they did in the 90s.

I think 1990s were peak Ireland. We should be striving to bring the 90s back.

The Carina E should be put back into production.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The leaps in technology during the war years probably dwarf anything that has occurred in the last 30. Today, we have become more efficient and our computer tech has become more powerful and smaller. But a PC is still a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Would you at least have still been in school to see him?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

True.

I remember they'd used to knock down a derelict building and put bracers up on the building beside it so it would fall down too. It was a common sight. I think half of Mary Street and Parnell Street used to look like that. But it was like that in the 70's as well. A lot of Dublin buildings were built long ago and they'd been falling apart since Larkin's time. A lot of the old Georgian and Victorian tenements were still around and they were in a very poor state.

• Advertisement

Cheap credit and optimism are not a good foundation for stable economics

The problem is we're back to that exact place now. We learned absolutely nothing from 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Privacy is exactly the same once you choose not to have social media accounts even then who do you think is monitoring it and how are they controlling anybody? Monopoly attempts and movements are nothing in anyway what make zip have you got and if you have a glasses of any kind they were likely made by one company. The actual Luddites opposed technology on the same grounds they were losing their jobs to technology. How is that different to automation and use of robots now. Name one robot overlord.

We haven't gone back to an unrealistic level of optimism because we have more sense and it will last in the living memory. Optimism is great but if unfounded and not back it is just gambling

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

The best year for pop music was the year when the person making the statement was about 18 years old. You old g*t.

It would make for a really dull movie cos there'd be fuck all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was a good time to be a teenager alright. You have to feel for kids now, covid, biodiversity and extinction crisis, pollution getting worse and worse worldwide, climate change and now what is probably the starting phases of WW3. I don't remember having any existential worries in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'm sure Rwandans and people from the Balkans won't be pining for the 90's anytime soon. But yeah I done the leaving in 1995, wasn't a bad time to be going into college and then coming out of it in the early 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's manufactured music produced by engineers and computers not musicians or artists. It's just the same stuff reheated to a formula. It's why it's all sounds similar.

If you want original authentic music you have to move away from the mainstream and seek it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Regarding music, the old men yelling at clouds may be in to something

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/old-music-killing-new-music/621339/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was born in 1985 so I became a teenager in 1998 and turned 18 in 2003 so got a bit of the 1990s as a teenager. I have fond memories of going on holidays here in Ireland and just going out in the morning and being out all day. I think for people my age 9/11 is a point in history where we measure things pre and post 9/11. I’ve watched the news coverage back and even twenty years later it’s bizarre to watch.

I think TV shows and cartoons used to be way better when I was growing up because nobody was trying to imply some other meaning into a cartoon like they’ve done now for Disney stuff from the 1990s. Anyway yeah I’m happy I got to experience the world pre technology overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,762 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That does not chime with the complaints that mortgages are too hard to get. Because of the rules which are designed to avoid negative equity. So at least we learned that much. Negative equity was never a feature of any recession except the one after the Tiger.

We really aren't. Banks are way more strict on lending criteria now so while credit is cheap it is no way as easy to access. The main curtailment has been mortgage deposit requirements which we learnt from 2008. I don't think Ireland or the world feels optimistic at the moment.

Are you saying this because house prices are high?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Dazed and confused was released in 1993 and set in 1976. It seemed like 2 completely different eras, but if an equivalent was released today it would only be set back in 2005 😱 maybe for people born in 2000 or later, 2005 would seem like a different time but its hard to imagine that being the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It was all hash and no grass aswell, the really long ten spots !! Blokes all dressing grundgy like Kurt Cobain or pearl jam before Oasis came along, but at least the girls didn't use fake tan or have trout pout lips !! It was pretty easy to get served in most pubs underage aswell and there was lots of drink driving going on at the time

It's not just social media now they are dragging people further onto the grid now with cashless society and smartphone apps that are becoming difficult to avoid. We are also running out of unskilled jobs to redeploy people to once they get automated. It would be great if they let the good times roll. The economy, political correctness, environmental worries and general risk adversity are hampering everything now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The difference between Western societies of the 1950's v's the 1980's seems way bigger than those of the 1990's v's the 2020's. Why is that? Even the clothes we wear now, or the music we listen to, are not so different than those of the 1990's.

Why is that? Maybe the 60's youth generation really did shake culture up (even if it took many years for Ireland to catch up)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Exactly, my father (RIP), used to point out that as a boy it took about 6 weeks for him to get a letter to his uncle in the USA and a response back. By the time he died he and a little device in his pocket that he could take out, state someone's name and he'd be to the person no matter where they were around the world in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Things started to get going around 1994 and we were in a boom proper by 1997

Economic reform began in 1987 but took a while to come through, 1993 was a big year with large EU fund programme achieved

Sorry? I am waiting for you to tell me me who are the robotic over lords. You see I think you don't really know what you are talking about and are using other peoples' words to describe a world that does not exist. What do you do for a living that is so repetative a robot can do? Jerking motion is easy for a robot indeed.

What is your fecking problem? You appear to be getting well and truly bent out of shape by any suggestion that times gone by might have been better than they are now. Even resorting to childish insults.

The obvious robot overlords would be the self checkout & more advanced ATM. Many branches that would have had tellers just have someone directing you to the robot now. In other cases you will see factories closing down and another much more automated one springing up in another country. They are also desperate to automate any type of driving job and once they do the sh1t will really hit the fan with the auld redunduncies

What absolute BS. Paying for products is a robot telling you to do something??? Name a business where they closed it down and replaced it with robot workers in another country!!!

You are resorting to cheap sci fi tropes without any evidence but ridiculous claims easily provable as non factual. Nothing you said is true.

It might be only for paying but it is still one less job in existence. Any of the big electronics companies that used to do assembly in Ireland in the 90s like Gateway, HP would now be outsourced to China and mostly assembled by robots (Foxconn). Initially it was just PCB's loaded with components by pick and place but now a lot of the final assembly is done by robots as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Does anyone feel like the last couple of decades since 1990s have all blurred into one from a fashion/visual/music/lifestyle perspective. I remember the 50s, 60s, 70s and finally the 80s having really distinct looks and defined period feels and you'd watch archive footage on TV of musicians, TV shows , news clips etc and know exactly what decade it was. In the 80s I remember laughing at footage of people wearing flared trousers in the 70s that was only less than 10 years earlier or watching music videos from the 80s in the 90s and going on about how 80s and dated they looked even if the video was only 6 or 7 years old. Even The Wonder Years TV show that came out in the late 80s but set in the late 60s seemed like a lifetime earlier. That would be like a nostalgia show now being set in 2002 which doesn't seem that different at all from 2022.

I come across music videos now from the late 90s or early 00s and they look like they were made today. The fashions or hairstyles and even video quality look the same or haven't changed dramatically. The only giveaways might be the mobile phones or non flatscreen TV sets.

Or does each generation feel the same? Do 20 year olds think 2009 as ancient history and that everything was/looked so different then even if I as a 1970s child don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I can't believe Altern8 didn't have a Covid comeback.

It's the timeless tale of a younglad trying not to ride his hot young ma.

• Advertisement

That article and all the other similar ones is based on a report that calls anything over 18 months old "old" music. Of course it'll get more listens than new stuff.

Advertisement