Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Lord Mountbatten (the Queen's cousin) a paedophile

Options

Comments

Ah yeah, the Brits probably think he's a hero, but here in Ireland I don't believe anyone thinks about him at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Er it matters because we want to know what's happening in our own country, like the Catholic Church paedophile scandals.

Some of the worst Kincora revelations have only come to light in recent years. Village Magazine are still digging into this scandal all the time and it is interesting to me that Mountbatten's biographer is doing ongoing investigative work into this. The fact that the abuse took place in the place in the 1970s isn't a reason to be apathetic.

People should put their partisanship aside. I get the impression that the OP is a SF apologist and has clashed with other posters in the past?

That's as may be but that doesn't negate this topic. It isn't a purely SF vs anti-SF discussion.

Mountbatten is a significant figure in British history. He was Viceroy of India during the Partition that followed indepdendence.

Relevant article by Andrew Lownie (Mountbatten's biographer) in Village:

In this article Lownie says that other files he requested from the FBI had been destroyed and that the Garda refused to supply him with the car logs for Classiebawn for August 1977 when two boys who said Mountbatten were abused had been transported there.

"During his research for the biography, Lownie tried to gain access to certain Irish State files including Garda files about Mountbatten only to be rebuffed. They may contain some interesting material. A Deputy Garda Commissioner who is now dead told Village a number of years ago that he had heard disturbing rumours about Mountbatten sexual activities before he was killed.

Another Garda intelligence source says that he had heard stories that while Mountbatten had been living in India, he had had access to a 14 year old boy.

If Garda Intelligence, led by Larry Wren, the Head of C3 during the 1970s, knew anything about Mountbatten’s predilections, or the presence of cars with Northern Ireland registration plates, or of teenage boys visiting his property at Classiebawn in the company of older men, he did nothing about any of it. The Gardai had a security at Mountbatten’s estate and must have noted the registration plates of visitors. This means that the Gardai should have logs for August 1977 which noted the arrival of the car belonging to Joe Mains, the Warden of the notorious Kincora Boys’ Home because he trafficked at least two boys to Classiebawn that month. If the logs still exist, will Garda Commissioner Drew Harris (ex-RUC and ex-PSNI link man to MI5) see to it that they are released and prove once and for all that an Anglo-Irish Vice Ring ring existed and it involved Joe Mains?

Larry Wren who was in charge of Garda intelligence while Mountbatten was abusing boys ferried to Classiebawn in cars with Northern Ireland registration plates driven by older men while he was under Garda surveillance. Did he learn anything about what was going on?

While the Kincora scandal was exposed in 1980, it was not until 1982 that allegations about MI5 and MI6 involvement in the affair began to appear in the press. Wren became Garda Commissioner in early 1983. He had developed exceptionally close links with British Intelligence during his tenure at C3. If the logs of cars visiting Classiebawn prove to be missing, an inquiry should be held to see if they were destroyed under Wren’s watch."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lots of reasons to believe Garda Commissioner Larry Wren was on the take from the British.

Outside of that, the Man was an absolute lunatic, certifiable lunatic, he his reign was considered the worst period in the force in the last 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Interesting read, yeah I do agree I'd say the really spicy stuff the FBI had about Mountbatten was not released to the author.

The investigation into the Dublin Monaghan bombings was stopped by the FG led government of the time after just two months along with other suspicious murders around that time, the Irish government and top tier Gardai would have had close relations with Britain and would not have risked upsetting them over Mountbatten revelations if they were aware or had any evidence of his sexual activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

OP I vaguely remember someone wrote a book on it a while back think it was on the Journal or something before can’t remember

Yeah there's a book from a couple of years ago by Andrew Lownie, he's the one who got the information from the FBI under the freedom of information act, is that the book you're referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

There is the point that many Irish people hold the Royal family in very high regard, if the people in border counties of Ireland knew about Mountbatten's paedophilic tendencies then it's almost certain that the Queen and others in the Royal family would have known about it too, along with MI5 and successive British governments who all chose to do nothing about it and let him carry on, which who knows how many of them were also engaging in the VIP paedophile ring at Kincora and elsewhere.

It really makes you think about what really goes on amongst these elitists, the VIP paedophile ring at Kincora which Amnesty international described as "one of the biggest scandals of our age" went very high up in British society and was condoned and covered up by British royalty, governments and the intelligence services.

Post edited by Harryd225 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In what way does this poorly disguised attempt to justify an act of terrorism and murder, fit with 'current affairs'?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

He knew damn well who you were referring to. It’s pathetic nationalist pedantry.

The evidence against Mountbatten is strong, but I would say that I read Lownie’s book on Edward VIII and wasn’t always convinced by his scholarship. He’s not an academic biographer.

This is no attempt to justify what happened at Mullaghmore, I already explained earlier how the assassination of Mountbatten was unjustifiable due to the two 15 year olds who were also on board the boat, although I have no sympathy whatsoever for what happened to Mountbatten, he deserved his faith but I have great sympathy for the others who were on board the boat.

This fits into current affairs as there is an ongoing court battle to get the Mountbatten diaries released to the public which the British are alleged to have spent 6 million pounds of tax payers money in court battles trying to prevent this. The victims of Kincora are also still bravely seeking justice to this day which the British government, MI5 and the royal family are trying to assure they never get justice or the answers that they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You start by denying your intentions and then admit to them in the same sentence. I'll leave you to it, I was just passing and thought I'd drop in for a sec.

"I have no sympathy whatsoever for what happened to Mountbatten, he deserved his faith" (That should be 'fate'.)

There's not really much up for dispute, he was merely writing about the evidence available on Mountbatten some of which Lowden obtained himself from the FBI in 2019 via a freedom of information request, although another poster pointed out that the FBI refused to hand over some of the files relating to Mountbatten.

The book also carries out interviews with two victims of Kincora who both claim they were abused by Mountbatten.

There have been rumours of Mountbatten going around for decades similar to that of one of his closest friends Jimmy Saville, the fact that American intelligence officers began compiling a dossier in the 1940s on Mountbattens paedophilic tendencies is really telling about how the rumours, like the rumours of Jimmy, were not there for nothing.

You were trying to accuse me of justifying his murder. I already explained earlier in the thread how what happened at Mullaghmore was completely wrong. Me saying that I have no sympathy for Mountbattens and how he died in no way means that I have any agenda., I'm talking about the scandal of Kincora and Mountbatten's involvement in it, which Amnesty international described as "one of the biggest scandals of our age".

This is little more than an attempt by you to derail the thread into something it's not.

What do you call a thread about Mountbatten, having the 'queens cousin' in the title?

Second cousin once removed would be the correct relationship.

Because he was the cousin of the Queen and a close ally of hers and he was mentor of Prince Charles. He was a very prominent and well respected member of the royal family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Not sure about Mountbatten but Gerry Adam's brother and IRA commander, Liam was a paedophile. Gerry knew he was and did nothing about it for twenty years.

There were countless others in the IRA who were harboured and sheltered within the ranks .

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/dec/27/gerry-adams-child-abuse

Great. Do you want to start a separate thread about that instead of hijacking this thread which is about Lord Mountbatten?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Never ceases to amaze how the monarch and Buckingham Palace gets a free pass on this stuff. They''ll praise Elizabeth to the high heavens for being a 'leader' but won't ask her to take responsibility on sheltering royals from answering for their actions.

I accept that, it reads like you are somehow trying to place some of his guilt onto others.

if this man committed sexual assault on others, then he is the guilty party and he alone.

The point is though it was not him alone, he was part of a VIP paedophile ring, most of the other people involved in this have still yet to be named. This VIP paedophile ring was branded by Amnesty international as "one of the biggest scandals of our age".

The real story of what went on will likely not ever come out for at least another hundred years when it is no longer relevant, Amnesty has strongly condemned the British government and MI5 for their refusal to properly cooperate with the investigation, investigations that are destined to go absolutely nowhere if they don't.

Great to have you back Francie, the site has not been the same without your input.

It should be noted Gerry Adams stood up in court and testified against his brother which helped convict him, anyway this thread is not about that and I will not be discussing it further, as another poster said if you want to create a thread about it I will be happy to discuss it with you.

He knew about it for twenty years and did nothing

The former IRA member was convicted in 2013 for raping and sexually assaulting his daughter Áine between 1977 and 1983 when she was aged between four and nine.

The case piled pressure on Gerry Adams to explain why he did not alert authorities when he learned of the abuse in 1987.

Liam Adams admitted the abuse to his brother in 2000 and went on to work in youth clubs, including one in west Belfast, the constituency of Gerry Adams, who was then an MP.

Gerry Adams. Photograph: PA

Áine said the politician brushed off her request to keep her father away from children. “Gerry told me that was Liam’s way of trying to make up to the community for what he done to me.”

• Advertisement

Is there some evidence to show that the queen shielded Mountbatten?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement