Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CONGUI

hi all,

Any whats app groups for April?

got the call yesterday, I'm 2022 campaign met the super in April 2023 and was waiting on the suitability checks since then.

Never thought the day would come.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ElectricChkn

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublindriver33

If you don't mind me asking, what was your your average oom after phase one of the application process to be only call in April 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mcg1989

The oom makes no difference after public appointments finish there end. Suitability checks is what delays it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Iphone1923

I'm still waiting on my extra reports I sent off for my medical too be signed off. It's been awhile now. I take it no news is good news? I'm hoping.

• Advertisement

Yeah oom makes no difference, mine was fairly low like 85 I think!

all about the suitability checks unfortunately,

• Registered Users Posts: 32 puntcuncher

Dumb question but suitability checks are just your background checks like family etc yeah?

Yeah, basically any information (yours & your family's) put on the form B. So living outside the country previously or family abroad can be a pain because the vetting unit will need to reach out to whatever police force around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tfy12

Hi, just got my offer for April, any WhatsApp groups I could join?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Your all mad going for it. I was looking into it (because being a public servant is generally respectable) but the reality is if you are single, live anywhere close to Dublin and go into the gardai you will never earn enough to own a home. You are spending a career with your life at risk in order to live in shame as dead money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭RarePhilosophy

I’ll play the devils advocate here for the craic. Gardai are generally paid fairly well from what I gather. Maybe not paid enough for what they do. Serving Gardai can correct me on this , but from my own research, you would generally add on 25%-30% to the base pay(allowances and overtime), especially in Dublin where there should be a decent amount of overtime at the moment. Also might be worth noting a further 10% pay rise might be on the cards for base pay depending on how this public pay talk deal works out.

So if you were at the very bottom of the pay scale starting out at 35500 a year, you could be looking at making 45000 a year if you done a fair bit of overtime. Not many grad programs would be offering that. At the same time , you will have a lot more expected of you (tougher working conditions, responsibilities, working nights , stress , seeing bad things ect.). Most of the GRA complaints are about working conditions and resources, as apposed to the pay.

If you have a degree you can skip 3 points up the pay scale after probation. The pay will also increase year.

There are also public job mortgage providers who can also count overtime and allowances for you mortgage.

Id also argue that very few single people are able to afford a home in this climate. You would want to be on over 100k to afford a decent house in Dublin as a single person (around 400k).

Also a Gaurd in Leitrim makes the same base pay as a Guard in Dublin , so if you can move to a low cost of living area it might also work out well.

It’s not a job for getting rich by any means , but most Guards I know are financially comfortable.

Overtime and additional income is only considered towards a mortgage if its consistent for 3 years and even then its only considered at 1/3rd of the rate income is

And yes, you'd need to make 100k to buy in Dublin (75k actually basic income by my budgetary planners), so anyone on less than that like me is living a life of shame as they will never be home owners. So no point in being a gardai, especially considering pay scales are public knowledge so everyone in your family will know your never going to make it.

Its horrible and cruel but its reality, people in Ireland see renters (like me) as dead money losers. So from living that life as a piece of filth renter, I wouldn't encourage anyone to actively go into a field that guarantees it.

Only tech matters in Ireland, if your not tech your dead money, like I am.

"It’s not a job for getting rich by any means , but most Guards I know are financially comfortable."

If they are single, they cant be as they wont own a house and not owning a house in our culture makes you a poor. Your dead money so you cant be comfortable.

Leitrim etc is fine if you come from there, if your from Dublin your family will tell you its no life and shame you if you move away (unless you emigrate thats much more acceptable)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

You’re forgetting taxes and other deductibles are taken out of the wage .. also, who wants to work overtime just to get a decent take home pay ?

many members of AGS will tell you that working overtime is a pain, you’re just drowning yourself further in paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's not for the money people want to join. It's a vocation lol.

I applied because I’ve always had an interest in it. There is no job like being a Garda. The main reasons I want to join is to help people and for the job variety. It’s an important job and the work is meaningful, even if there is plenty of crap along with it.

I’ve done cushy numbers sitting behind a desk 9-5 where every day it the same thing and it wasn’t for me.

Joining the Guards is obviously not for everyone and that’s okay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Some posts deleted. Keep posts on topic. Repeat offenders will be banned from the thread.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 2 qwerty2024

Whatsapp group set up for april intake for any 1 that has got an offer , pm and il add ye

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Stretch1432

.q

Post edited by Stretch1432 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnmcgrath560

Hi everyone ,

Wage starting off €35322 from what I gather from looking online.Is unsociable hours calculated into this or is it separate?

Can anyone tell me what other allowances do you get?

Thanks

• Advertisement

That’s the base pay. Allowances and overtime are separate and would be added on to that. You would be looking at adding around an extra 20% to base pay. Give or take as it depends on overtime worked.

Here is some information on allowances from the GRA , but it’s a bit outdated. But it will give you a rough idea.

https://www.gra.ie/documents/PayScales.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnmcgrath560

Thanks for the reply.I seen that stuff on the gra website just wasn’t sure was it out of date or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IOMJIO

Hi folks, can someone help me out to get added to the WhatsApp group for April? Got the email there last week. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mossie060

Hi, if there’s any WhatsApp’s for the April intake can I get added please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eric_162005

Hi everyone just wondering is there still a chance I get get accepted for the intake date in April even tho is it’s the 20th of march and does anyone know how long it takes for them to get in contact as they told me 4 weeks and that was in January.

I’ve heard stories of people getting offers a few days before intakes.

Who told you 4 weeks? I was told something similar at my local station interview, but it seems like the length of the vetting process is a bit of a lottery. It can be 1 month or could take a year or longer. I think family abroad or foreign addresses can sometimes add time.

You could always ring Garda HR on (01) 666 2571 and ask for an update on your application. They will usually tell you something vague like “we are waiting on a suitability check , we will call you when we have them all back”.

The super intendent told me 4 weeks roughly and I know a girl who got 4 days notice to go the college

yeah , that must be the average. There seems to be a few outliers who are waiting a lot longer, obviously they will probably be the most vocal on here , asking questions ect.

Im in the same boat having had my local interview the around same time as yourself. Waiting on vetting is a pain . Hoping it won’t be much longer now.

I’ll probably defer to the next intake if they give me short notice.

Well that’s good to hear that I’m not the only one waiting the same amount of time thank you

• Advertisement

If yous don’t mind me asking what date in April did yous get?

Advertisement