Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 osk112

Hi Sean,

I got the offer today myself, I am going to defer till next intake due to couple reasons. I think Its acceptable once you tell them you be happy to start next intake.

Not their fault suitability checks finished so they called people that been successful. Pity it's only finished now and 5 days till next batch

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mcg1989

Hi anyone that got offers today. How long have yous all been waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sean123123123123

I had everything completed in March , I had to get laser eye surgery in august and had only sent in the post op letter this Monday and was phoned today at 1pm for the October intake . Emailed back to defer until January due to not giving enough notice to current employers etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BernieShark

I got the offer today as well and had to postpone until the next intake as it was too short a notice. They seemed fine and understanding about it.

My theory, it could be that people pulled out and they wanted to fill the current intake to the max numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kamiq22

I received my offer on September 21st and a couple hours later was told I needed surgery on a broken thumb so I emailed back to defer it until January. I never received a reply to my email but the woman I spoke to on the phone told me it was no issue to defer it and they'd be in touch before the December / January intake so I assume its no problem and will hear something in the next few weeks, ideally those who deferred this intake will get word first and allow us to give current employers a good notice period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

No I didn’t. I have an uncle in the UK that I’ve never met. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mattata95

I got a letter from them on Monday stating I was over the weight limit my BMI was 30.2. Going to the GP today to see if he can write a letter for me explaining that because I do weight lifting the BMI chart will be off by a bit. We'll see what he says.

Good to know at least this is moving forward.

I had a similar situation where my grandfather was never in the picture we know his name that's all. They basically asked me to write a cover letter stating the circumstances on why I can't state all the facts about the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

Did it help? I’ve asked them what it is holding it up to see if I could help with it but they won’t give any detail.

No after I sent that there was silence so I assume it was accepted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 emmak123

Making a WhatsApp group for those hoping to get January intake. Pm to be added 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WestEire00

Hey did you get given 3 months to sort it out or did you do your 3 months and still need a letter? Did they accept it? Dm me if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Iphone1923

I sent in an opticians report last week. Haven't heard anything since. Showed my optician what the requirements were and she said I passed. Any idea how long I'll be waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 andreafarrelly00
    af2000

Could be up to 8 weeks. I know myself and a few others who needed an additional optician's report just never heard any more from Occupational Health. When did you have your fitness/medical tests and sergeant meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 osk112

Anyone else hoping or got the offer to be in by January 2024 pm us for invite on whatsapp group if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Stretch1432

Can you travel home during the evenings once or twice a week if you have a family ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PCO2019

You can travel home twice a week if you have kids but you have to be back the following morning before 08:30. You apply for a curfew exemption.

You wouldn’t be doing on overnight on a Thursday because you have to be meticulously presented in your full uniform for parade on the square at 08:00 on a Friday.

There will be times you will need to work with your group to get some stuff over the line after hours, so be mindful of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KR1993

Hi

I just completed my interview and passed putting me on OOM 117. Does anyone know how long it will take from the interview to be called for the medical and fitness? I was told that the next intake will be probably April or May so I’m hoping the fitness and medical will be after Christmas as I’m working with a PT to properly prepare and lower my BMI as it’s a little high

Also, what can I expect at the medical? Do I need a GP to fill out a medical form detailing past illnesses? What is done actually done at the medical?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Post edited by KR1993 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KR1993

Hi

So I passed my interview and was placed on OOM 117. I was told that the spots have been filled up until April/May. I was just wondering, how long is the wait from completing the interview to been called for the medical/fitness? I’m working with a PT so I was hoping after Christmas because I know my BMI is a little high and want to get that in check.

Also, what is conducted exactly at the medicals? I heard from a friend that urine/blood and hair samples might be taken. Just wondering if this is true?

if I fail the medical for been overweight, will i automatically fail the medical or will they defer it for a few months to get it sorted? This is the furthest I have gotten in the Garda application and I never thought I would pass the interview so it would be a huge let down if it goes away because I fail the medical for overweight

Would appreciate any advice and tips

Medical what happens is eye test, hearing test, measured waist hip and. Height them weight urine test and a breath test you blow into a tube. After that it's 8-10 weeks for that to come back can be longer.

As for the BMI they want anything below 30. 18.5 to 25 is ideal as per instructions in the booklet. If you're over on the day you're gonna be told to get the weight down and be given 3 months to get below 30 BMI. You're not automatically rejected. Best to just be below 30 before the medical assessment.

• Advertisement

Just want to state something here I was was told of by the guys in Garda HR.

Once you pass your PCT you should be getting your sergeant interview medical assessment as well as the start of your background check.

I did my pct in August and I still wasn't called to meet my sergeant guy was very surprised to hear this told me to go to the local station directly and ask to be contacted

• Registered Users Posts: 1 timmy192

Has anyone gotten the silent treatment about the 2022 campaign. Nearly Two years now and everything sent in. Every meeting done. I rang them for the first time the other day and I was told my medical still needs to be signed off. I done my medical in April 😂I'm Hoping get in for January. I don't mind waiting just once I'm informed on what's happening. Also one check outstanding I asked what did that mean and she tore into me telling me to be patient your call will come. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes that seems to be the standard response sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mcg1989

Hey just trying to find out roughly how many people are left from the 2022 campaign? Or has many people got offers for January ? Either from the 22 or the 23 campaign ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 WestEire00

Did anyone submit there new BMI results to occupational health after the 3 months they were given? What was the response/next steps? Did you get an offer and if so how long was the turn around? Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CONGUI

I went to my GP maybe 6 weeks into my 3 month deferral and he sent a letter to occupational health with all my measurements and it then went to the Garda doctor to sign off,

It took maybe 3 weeks before I got word that the doctor had signed me off medically. this was in July and I'm still waiting for the suitability check to be done. Had all else completed by the end of April,

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynch1990

I waiting on suitability checks and a super meeting.

I was told by appointments the checks take longer when you have a big family and especially when they live in other countries. I fall under both circumstances.

has anyone experienced the same? I’m waiting now since September since medically cleared. Maybe next year I’ll hear 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jcoyne22

@lynch1990 which campaign are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynch1990

I’m in 2022 campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 berry2020

Hi All,

Just wondering has anyone on here went down the legal route for been turned down either with ear or eye problem. Thanks

Advertisement