Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20% cut to fares for all public transport operators from April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's logical so won't be implemented. If you got rid of cash you'd have the usual stuff about old people being targeted and not able to use "technology".

At a minimum they need to get rid of the stage fares. A single flat fare across the city and metropolitan area services needs to be implemented. This nonsense of having to interact with the driver to pay by Leap needs to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was baffled when the driver in Cork asked where I was going the first time I got a bus there.

Yeah it's nuts. The dwell times to board even a small number of people on Cork buses is a big factor in why the buses are unreliable. Between people fumbling for change and everyone with a Leap card having to interact with the driver, it takes way way longer than it should to board. Multiply that out over multiple bus stops on a route and it quickly adds up to a lot of time.

Single flat fare validated via Leap/contactless machine by the door and eliminate cash and you'd instantly improve bus journey times in Cork by a significant amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

We already know that the ticketing in Cork is going to change to a time based fare like in Dublin when they start to roll the new network out.

Contactless payments won’t happen on PSO buses until 2024 as part of the NTA’s next generation ticketing project.

Will that remove the need to interact with the driver? It also won't get rid of the dwell times due to cash payments. Used the bus last week and you still see people using €20 notes to pay for fares. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Also, why can't the bus driver left-side validator automatically be the short fare validator. There's two ticket validators when you board the bus, the left and right side - they can just configure one to be for short fare and the other to be for travel 90 fare - immediately removing the need to interact with the driver without ever needing to get rid of the dual stage system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Another solution would have been to have a tap off for the short fair like the Luas has.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The solution for Cork is obvious, just make it a flat fare.

Currently there are two fares, €1.35 up to 11 stages, €1.55 for 12+, just split the difference, make the flat fare €1.45 and install a right hand validator.

You could then offer a 90 minute ticket, by having leap add 55c if you tag on a second bus (or train) in 90 minutes.

BTW for those from Dublin, who might not know, many if not most bus routes in Cork aren't long enough to have the long fare or most people only travel half the route into town. Unlike Dublin where the "short" fare is seldom used, in Cork the €1.35 "short" fare makes up the vast majority of fares and is basically the default on most routes. Most people in Cork just ask for a ticket, they don't state destination or fare like you would in Dublin and drivers just normally give it by default.

With so little difference between the two fares in Cork and most people use the short anyway, it really doesn't make sense not to just combine them into a flat fare.

I was down in Cork over Christmas and there were a number of glaring problems with ticketing in Cork (and I assume the same in Limerick, etc.) compared to Dublin:

1) No right hand validator, which really slows things down.

Even people with 24 hour, 7 day, monthly, yearly, tickets etc. have to interact with the driver. Complete and utter madness!

2) The drivers ticket machine is WAY slower then the Dublin Bus drivers ticket machine!

It takes at least a good 20 seconds per passenger and multiple button presses by the driver. I believe the ticket machine is first looking for the 24 hour,etc. tickets and the driver has to wait until non is found before they can put it into the mode to issue a purse ticket! Of course this wouldn't be necessary if there was a right hand validator.

3) You can't pay for a childs ticket on an adult leap card.

What?! I only discovered this over Christmas, I had been asking for a childs ticket on my Leap card like you can do on Dublin Bus. Finally a driver told me you couldn't do that in Cork and you needed a child Leap card. Looking back over my ticket history, it looks like drivers had previously either charged two adults tickets or just one adult ticket and let my little one on for free.

This is all very stupid because of how it slows things down. If you are a parent with three children, you have to get threee child leap cards so, make sure they are all topped up, have each child present their card to the drivers ticket machine and then wait the 20 seconds or so to be issued a ticket!

It makes no sense at all and just makes it all so painfully slow!

4) No 90 minute fare

Get two buses in Cork, it costs €2.70, but in Dublin the same cost only €2. How is that fair?

And shouldn't it cover commuter rail too? Going from lets say Carrigtwohill to UCC, which might involve the train + bus, costs €4.35, while in Dublin, going from Dalkey to DCU, a trip of the same distance, costs just €2!

5) No daily or Weekly capping

What is there to say, we should obviously have these. Sure there are the 24 hour and 7 day tickets, but you have to buy these up front, which isn't as good as automated capping. Just set the daily and weekly cap to the same as these tickets, easy!

---------

The implementation of Leap card and ticketing is a complete mess in Cork. WAY worse then Dublin. It is like they just chucked Leap support in, without really thinking about it and it has resulted in slower boarding times, which is a major loss for Leap/NTA and the people of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They could just introduce free bus travel for all as 34% of population already have free travel access (1.75m out of 5.1m people), maybe most don't use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

So we need 180M for that. No chance, RTE has spent all of our cash...

On a serious note, I'd rather prefer free GP and creche than a PT.

PT could be at an even more reduced price, that I'd accept, but completely free would boost a demand, and we already struggle with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You reckon the system has the capacity to cope with that?

There were noticeably more short journeys after the last fare cuts. Most were trips that would have otherwise been walked. Free fares would make that worse for little benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Exactly! We already have a huge problem with antisocial behaviour... And also, we can't cop with the demand. With a current driver shortages we'd struggle even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

There is to be an announcement, now overdue, from the NTA about a new fare structure.

There will be a city zone and a commuter zone and, to put it simply, fares will be pro-rata to distance travelled. It's dependent on operators, eg Irish Rail outside Dublin, being set-up for Leap cards.

It may or may not be beneficial. The National Transport Authority do not inspire confidence.

I wonder if it'll be announced before January.

"The migration of current fares to the National Fare Structure is likely to be take place over a number of years"

...what a surprise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“Under this Structure, fares are to be made up of a combination of a boarding charge plus an incremental fare based on the distance of the journey.”

That sounds like how fares operate in Amsterdam and something I’ve been proposing for years!

Basically it works something like this, if you get on a bus spin Amsterdam:

• pay €1 boarding fee
    • pay 20c per km travelled
    • if you get off the bus and on a second bus, you don’t pay the boarding fee, you just continue to pay 20c per km.
    • you can also swap to tram or metro paying the per km fee but not the boarding.

Sounds complicated, but it is all done automatically with their version of the Leap card. Basically when you tag on, it charges the maximum fare and then when you get off you tag off and it refunds the difference based on distance travelled. Kind of like how leap works on DART now.

of course what is weird, is that instead we will have a hybrid model, the current 90 minute fare in Dublin City and then this per km system outside of Dublin. Not that I’m complaining, the 90 minute ticket at €2 is great value.

This new per km thing sounds more like a way to standardise how much fares should cost, rather then an actual fare system like in Amsterdam.

I wonder are they planning to drop the short fare?

Will they bring the 90 minute €2 ticket to Cork, etc. and within 25km of them?

It looks bad that the 90 minute fare is only in Dublin, makes the NTA look very Dublin centric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Sure the drivers still give change in Cork on cash fares. DB has been exact fare only for the last 25 years. CIE never really cared about non Dublin city/town services I have always thought Cork, Limerick and Galway should have their own versions of DB instead of being part of the BE provincial network.

But heigh ho we now have the NTA who know much more about running bus, tram and train services than CIE could ever dream of.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

The NTA have already committed to time based fares in the regional cities once the new BusConnects networks start to roll out. They’re essential given the premise of connecting services.

The document above also states on page 5 that within Dublin City the existing fare structure will continue to apply (Short fare, 90 minute fare, Xpresso fare).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

90 minute fare has been great. The only problem is that the public transport system has been so unreliable lately, that sometimes 90 minutes isn't enough to get to the destination. I often take a bus-train-bus combination that should take 60 minutes at most, but sometimes it takes a lot more. Would be nice if it was 120 minutes instead, but I don't see that happening.

But yeah, especially with the 20% cut, 90min is great value. Should definitely be implemented outside Dublin as well.

“But heigh ho we now have the NTA who know much more about running bus, tram and train services than CIE could ever dream of.”

Well since the NTA arrived they have absolutely transformed the Cork city bus service. It is night and day improvement.

• Forced BE to move from all single deckers to mostly double deckers with a resulting big increase in capacity
    • Big improvements in frequencies on many routes
    • Replaced all the bus poles and bus shelters which were in an absolutely horrifying state with nice shiny new ones
    • Introduced RTPI
    • Introduced Leap card

Far from perfect, still a lot to do, in particular the lack of the 90 minute ticket and other ways that the leap card is badly implemented on the BE buses. But there is no comparison compared to the pre NTA days.

Frankly Bus Eireann were a disaster and couldn’t organise a piss up on a bus, yes the NTA are vastly superior to them in running bus services.

“The NTA have already committed to time based fares in the regional cities once the new BusConnects networks start to roll out. They’re essential given the premise of connecting services.”

Great, but they need to pull the finger out and just do it. They need to roll out the 90 minute to Cork, etc. today and the short fares to all routes in Dublin. They need to stop waiting for the network to roll out, the network roll out is taking too long and there is no reason that the fare changes need to wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Don’t forget the 90 minutes applies to the subsequent tag on times. So you could take 85 minutes of travel, then hop on a 16 in Ballinteer and travel for the whole journey to the airport and be valid for the 90 minute ticket.

We all know why the network rollout is taking longer than we’d all like, and I think moaning about that isn’t going to get us anywhere. It’ll happen when they can staff it. They can’t magic people out of thin air.

Unfortunately, I honestly don’t think the changes in fare structure in the regional cities will happen any sooner than the start of the BusConnects there - the NTA are too fond of their good news stories and have intertwined the new network rollout and the fare structure change as one.

Cork will presumably start when the implementation of the new electric buses in Limerick permit the transfer of their hybrids to Cork, which hopefully will be in early 2024.

Well I always got the impression that longer distance services were the priority for BE and city services were always an afterthought whereas for DB city services were always the sole focus of the company. That's the reason why city services in Cork were always poor under BE at least imo.

Sure I remember seeing pictures of BE Expressway coaches operating on city routes in Cork not sure if this still goes on but it would be unthinkable in Dublin for a 54 seater coach to show up on the 46a to Dun Laoghaire. But yet that appeared to be a common occurance in Cork in 90s and early 00s.

CIE seemed to put a bit more effort into running services in Cork prior to BE taking over everything non Dublin area. So maybe a DB equivalent for Cork would've better than having it operated by BE but that ship has sailed now the NTA are in charge now basically becoming like TFL for the 26 counties.

“Well I always got the impression that longer distance services were the priority for BE and city services were always an afterthought whereas for DB city services were always the sole focus of the company. That's the reason why city services in Cork were always poor under BE at least imo.”

Oh BE’s long distance services were/are terrible too. Just look at their Expressway service between Cork and Dublin. Use to take 5 hours, no toilet, no Wi-Fi and last departure was 6pm between the two largest cities in Ireland, laughable stuff. Needless to say the private operators like Aircoach completely blew them out of the water with a vastly superior service and the people of Cork couldn’t have been happier with these services.

These private services were licensed by the NTA.

BE’s long distance services around the country, whether Expressway or PSO or pretty terrible.

I suppose some would argue that where BE’s focus actually is, is on the commuter services into Dublin. They basically don’t care about either the city services or the long distance services in the rest of the country, just the Dublin area commuters. But then you’d remember how bad some of those commuter services got that the NTA had to pull their license and awarded some of those routes to GAI.

While the NTA are far from perfect, I think some folks on this forum are in denial in just how poor the CIE companies are in operating their services. The biggest issue that I see with the NTA is that they have so much to do, because the CIE companies were so poorly run for decades. The CIE companies were run look something out of the 1950’s and the NTA are trying to achieve in a relatively short time, what should have been gradually done over the past 70 years but wasn’t.

BTW this is no attack on the individual drivers of BE, etc. who in my experience are mostly great folks, after all you can only drive the bus given, to the schedule given, etc. I’m talking here about how management ran these companies and operations.

A lot of it is down to underfunding from the government over the years it's not just the companies fault. Also look at the Expressway routes that BE still operate all the routes that are unattractive to private operators. Privates are only interested in Dublin-Cork/Limerick/Galway all the others aren't profitable to operate a regular service.

Fact of the matter is private operators pay drivers less and have worse conditions than CIE operators that is a fact. Hence why a large proportion of GAI drivers went to DB and a lot of the drivers from private coach operators go to BE.

The private operators are free to tender for PSO services too now and if BE are so inefficient how come they won the 101 and 133 aswell as the Waterford city routes. GAI have been the only other operator to submit tenders to operate PSO services no other private company has tendered for ex DB and BE routes aswell as new stuff like the W4 and W6 and the 197.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Tbf in many respects BE is a different company to the one that refused to put deckers in rural cities for years. You can see that in how they've been able to compete in tenders against private operators.

We've seen in recent years though that BE are just as quick to close an unprofitable Expressway route as the privates are, the romantic aul guff about them keeping loss-making routes going out of the goodness of their heart is just fantasy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Just on your last point, that's not entirely correct - City Direct won the tender for the Kilkenny town service!

• Advertisement

"Also look at the Expressway routes that BE still operate all the routes that are unattractive to private operators. Privates are only interested in Dublin-Cork/Limerick/Galway all the others aren't profitable to operate a regular service."

I'm not sure that is really true, look at the private operators in Donegal operating all sorts of local services that BE wouldn't operate and look at how Aircoach stepped in to operate the Galway stopping service when BE dropped it.

"Tbf in many respects BE is a different company to the one that refused to put deckers in rural cities for years. You can see that in how they've been able to compete in tenders against private operators."

Very true, they have vastly improved and I'm delighted to see it.

But I'd argue the root cause of this was the NTA and the manner in which they started tendering licenses and added competition. I believe BE loosing the commuter routes to GAI light a fire under BE's managements ass. They realised they would lose a lot more contracts if they didn't start improving their services.

Frankly I'd pin the improvements we have seen in DB on the same thing, them losing some routes to GAI and the threat of loosing more if they didn't improve.

If the NTA didn't exist and BE/DB still had their monopoly, I'm certain we would all be suffering from the same old crappy service.

Advertisement