Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspect is 'A white male in his 40s with an Irish accent'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Irish accent is just as vague, as we've many of them, and our communities aren't all natives to the area. And you latching onto half of the argument, while ignoring the other half about skin color. You'd never see: a crime committed by a black man, a brown man, or any other similar variant.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The initial person that was wrongly arrested, they gave no skin, accent or race descriptions out for either person they arreseted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

They didn’t need to, as they weren’t looking for the suspects. They knew where they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

“The Irish accent is just as vague?” That’s rubbish, there isn’t a person from this island who couldn’t tell an Irish accent apart from another accent, regardless of the regional dialects.

M

i must have missed the part in that case where those accused walked in to the Garda station out of the blue.

• Advertisement

One was arrested immediately after the crime, and the other was known by the Gardai to be in a Dublin hospital, and was immediately put under surveillance until he could be spoken to.

At no point we’re the guards looking for the support of the public in identifying either suspect.

But you knew that already.

It's vague because there's many Irish accents, which is my point. It could be any of the 32.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

M

If the initial description was given out it would have clicked much quicker with the hospital staff when the person visited what he could have been associated with. It was murder not robbing the local Spar that the person was on the run for, time was of the essence.

The reason why they can only say that the person had an Irish accent is because only an Irish person can definitively say that.

I think the opposite. An Irish person wouldn't say 'Irish accent', they would say Kerry accent, Nordy accent, Dublin accent. Someone from a different country might say Irish accent.

I can't imagine the US media issuing a description of a man with an American accent', or the English police saying they are looking for a man with an English accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why the racist assumption that an African or Eastern European couldn't have an Irish accent? You shouldn't be hanging on to those stereotypes.

Sure I knew a few people who went to the US on a J1 for two months and came back talking like yanks. I'm sure that a Latvian or Ghanaian living here for 10 years could well have a proper "Irish accent".

You shouldn't be judging people based purely off their looks!

• Advertisement

Were you privy to the information the guards had at the time?

M

No, which is why I am not suggesting how they should carry out their investigations.

I suggest you refrain from doing so as well.

A few people are jumping on my post, arguing semantics about Kerry accents and Nigerians with Irish accents. They’re scrambling desperately for a “gotcha” post and honestly it’s pretty pathetic on their part.

The fact of the matter is that any Irish person can identify someone else from Ireland by hearing their voice alone, therefore the Garda Press Office can confidently use that attribute to help identify a suspect. This is opposed to more ambiguous descriptions such as “African accent,” “Eastern European accent,” or worst of all “foreign accent.”

Regarding the skin colour issue: vanishingly few people in Ireland are anything other than white, and even fewer still commit random acts of violence and go on the run immediately afterwards.

I dare say that it would be very very difficult to find a case of random violent crime followed by a manhunt afterwards that has been committed in Ireland by a black person. Indeed I bet that not a single poster would be able to find ten such cases in the past five years or so.

vanishingly few people in Ireland are anything other than white

So what's the point in mentioning it as an identifying feature then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Would it be possible that the girl who has been attacked is not Irish? Maybe that’s why she might say her attacker had an Irish accent. Hopefully he’ll be caught soon anyway that’s the most important thing.

Probably because of all the prejudiced goons on sites such as this or Reddit who assume it's going to be "another Eastern European" after what happened last month.

# 78 gets schooled

# 80 plays the racism "prejudiced goons" card

The shíte some can get away with

Fk Boards !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

One can be Irish without having an Irish accent. Thousands of second generation Irish emigrants who have returned speak with cockney, Scottish, Liverpudlian accents etc.

Similarly a white male with a non Irish ethnicity can speak with an Irish accent.

Furthermore some young Irish people now speak in accents which are difficult to “Irish”.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is no point in digging that hole any deeper. The "Nigerian" could well have an Irish accent and be as Irish as any other person and may be an Irish born person who just happens to have black skin. Sure you could also have a person who bangs their head and wakes up with an Irish accent.

Would the below be like yourself? 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Well GreeBo, your post reflects what I was trying to say, but with less (as in, no) faffing around than I used. God, my creator would be turning in his grave.

What on earth are you blathering on about? None of that has anything to do with what I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It's a description that really narrows down the matter. It could have been a Cork or Dublin or a local accent. Could that detail not have been provided by AGS? It is reasonable to assume the details provided by the victim have not been clearly relayed. Journal.ie itself would have copied another news service.

If the offender is a member of protected class like Irish Traveller or migrant, the description will be as vague as humanly possible, the danger to future victims be damned. People are left to read between the lines. Descriptions like 'Eastern European accent' are still better than nothing, and correct in a loose way. Most would not be able to distinguish between the inhabitants of any of those small Baltic states. That detail can be supplemented by a physical description.

Descriptions have to be useful and not useless. I hope the perpetrator was caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'd take a wild guess that this woman told the Garda she was attacked by 2 or 3 lads of African decent and she was still alive thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

What is going with so many men trying to claim victim status? Another woman gets attacked but the real tragedy is that some poor men got offended. Would you ever cop on to yourselves? Another example of a woman getting attacked for no reason in Cork on the news just there. If any of you have women in your lives, you'd hear experiences from all of them of being harassed and much worse by men. Yes, it's not all men but the overwhelming majority of assaults, rapes and so on are committed by men. These men attack other men and women. These scumbag men should be the targets of you ire. We should all be targeting them. You may not think that anything can be done to stop them but going against those who are trying to do something about it is definitely not going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭celt262

This thread is about the language used in reporting of the suspect which is quiet strange do you not think. The majority of what you say is probably for another thread.

What are you going to do then? This "we must do something, but I don't know what stuff" is useless, and common sadly. And we're not "going up against people" who are trying to do something about if they really are, we're up against people who make it a whole gender blame game, which it shouldn't be. It's really odd, because certain people seem to think individual men have control over other men, when we really have none. Me telling a scumbag not to be one isn't going to do a damn thing. Do you think Teddy Bundy would of said "I'm changing my way because people think I'm bad?" They are psychopaths, they are deviants, theirs brains are literally wired differently than the rest of us. They know what they are and they aren't going to change. Creating gender wars over stuff like, when you've no solution, is nothing but dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

This thread is part of a trend we see around Ireland and elsewhere that the real victims are white males. Get the **** over yourselves. The real scandal here is that another innocent female got attacked in broad daylight, apparently it could have been an attempted abduction. What sort of country do we live in where women have to worry about going anywhere on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I think it was terrible that a young woman gets attacked and the complaints are that the guards described the perp as a white irish guy. It's insane how people take huge issue with that and don't even comment on the attack. I wonder if they would still be up in arms if the guy was described as having an Eastern European accent or some other trait like that. It really is sad to see the victim of such a terrifying attack get overlooked by these people so they can make a point about being victims. It's not really a surprise that it happened on this forum to be honest.

• Advertisement

Can someone explain to me if possible why this description is such a big deal?

its laughable useless to me but that’s the only problem I can see with it. “40 year old white man with an Irish accent” like jaysus I could accuse half the people I’ve walked by on the street lately in that case!

Obviously it’s offending some folks.. why?

Advertisement