Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining The Party (I hope)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Thanks pal! It’s a good course isn’t it (my head is away I nearly wrote report but meant course!!!!) What is the pb? And what did you study ansin? When I was at college they were only getting going so their team weren’t great. We beat them and I played for Coleraine. Mostly seconds. I wasnt always that good a trainer and the coach wouldn’t play me for the first team. In fairness probably just a shade off good enough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Yeah deceptively tricky from what I can remember. PB then was 43:56, I ran 45:21 in Dundalk, not earth shattering, but I did spot Oisín finishing several minutes behind - he was training the footballers in DKIT then, and AFAIK he still is. Now it's 42:38, from the 2019 Great Ireland Run. I haven't raced a 10k since - not decided as regards whether to give one a shot this summer. I got a National Diploma in Computing in 1995. I was mostly a second team player too, and a very average one at that 😀

Emm yea there’s a bit of it in the middle that would wind you! I had a stitch for about a mile. Probably should have put that in the report. Just not used to speed like that over distance. Aye he’d be a cousin. I suppose that may have been his first year there and it was good to make a good impression. Still at it yea. Get cracking on the races and bring that pb down under the 40. Nice milestone. Haha first team is overrated anyhow!

April 25 - May 1

Ok I’m a bit late getting this week entered in and with the race last week I’ll keep it brief.

Monday

6 miles with strides around DKIT course (later realised I f***ed that up but most of it was on the course) 7:44

Tuesday

5k very easy from school

Wednesday

10k race 35:31 pb

Warm up and cool down took me to 11 miles

Thursday

8 miles easy from school 8:02 pace, hilly fecker.

Friday

10 mile run, out easy and then 6:55 home.

Got up at 6 to do this one. Way out was merciless - 7:58, 8:03, 8:12, 8:08 and 7:56 - the flat and uphill was ok but my quads were in ribbons so the downhills were screamy. Luckily the town was asleep and I had no witnesses! It actually felt easier to run that bit faster or steadier as you guys would say - 6:52, 6:52, 6:48, 6:53 & 6:53.

Legs still very bad today. Going down stairs was a sight to behold - hadn’t had that feeling since the day after marathon. The idea of a long run tomorrow sickens me.

Saturday

Holy Ghost. I dont wanna be over dramatic but the most difficult long run I’ve ever done. 6/10 pain on mile 1. Tiptoeing down hills. Body mind very fragile and the lads I normally train with all away on a 40th weekend in Spain. It’s soft but constant rain. I do a kinda loup to take in the first couple of miles then a steep uphill. No bother but I dread the downhill which is of course well against the grain. A pup about 6 months follows me and the owner is screaming at him to come back. I just ignore and on I go. I keep thinking he will double back but no. He does about a mile and then I’m going onto the main road. I was sure he would go back but he kept coming. I go out and back only about a mile in all but he’s one side of the road and I’m the other so traffic is having to slow or stop. Looking at me like I’m out with my dog. Aghhhhhhh I head back to the house I think he came out of and knock the door. Nothing. I ring the doorbell and bang the door… nothing (I can see them inside ffs) So I noticed a shed door opened and took the wee fella in there, just as he got in a Doberman emerged, he’s a quiet lad so I just closed the door and left them both in there. Wrong house but I feel I’ve done ok here.

Back to my dread. I get back to the car and I’m 5 miles in. Just have to do that 3 more times. Awwwwwwwwwww mannnnnnn. A few gulps of orange and took a gel for my pocket and away again. Desperately slow pace. Sieged on until mile 10 and then took some of the gel, another bit at 12 and if I do a loup of a wee lake I’ll be on 15 and be 3 away from base. That means that I would have an 18 mile run at the least and it would do, I could put it down to a hard week. Round I go.. 8:15. Don;t care just don’t stop. By some miracle the legs finally loosened out a bit after 17 miles. I lurched on and got there. 21.10 average 8:07. The definition of a slog. 17 miles recovery and then 4 at sub 8 mm!

Sunday

A relay leg of Belfast Marathon. Went up to KS’ house last night and collected my pack from my mate Sean. She was expecting me earlier and I arrived about 8.30. Wasn’t happy. I had to leave the oul man to pick up a tractor (1 hour away) then get the pack and then on ahead. Sean’s wife gave me Guinness cake. I couldn’t just do a twirl in the living room and head on again so I sat for half an hour then up the road to meet KS who was at a football match. I passed the ground and got her a coffee, thinking she might be cold after the stand. Back to the ground and no one there - she had headed on. Took a while to chat all through when I got to her house and then it was about 10. Rang round all the chineses which were closed. I really like to reward the long run with a foodathon but today I learn humility and made do with a bagel and banana and hot water and a slice of orange, no teabags left and too late for coffee! I’ll make clearer plans from now on!

Meanwhile on the camera I check a lady for calving - she fired out twins the hero! One to go!

Up and at it at 5.30. Wee bit of breakfast with KS and were on the road to pick up her uncle and head to Belfast. The form is fantastic. On we go and park the car. I’m on the first leg and she is on the last but in different teams so she has a long stand. I got to my changeover 90 mins early. My plan is just a recovery pace and I stick to it. I feel a little for relay runners who are taking the thing so seriously but aren’t runners. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand it’s a pain when you’re doing the full and they’re darting about but on the other it gives lots of people a chance to participate on the big day and dip their toe. Also great social thing for teams. I had fun. 7.5 miles at 8:10. I walked back to the finish line which was another 3 miles.

Knew quite a few people running the full and they came back well all in all - 2:40, 2:54, 2:54, 3:00:18 agonisingly, 3:01 female runner who also delivered my youngest nephew!, 3:16 - a buddy who has made huge running strides in the last 18 months. Not long ago sub4 was his usual form but today he was going for sub3 and came up a bit short, another sub3 effort I can’t think but missed…

And of course our very own @Swashbuckler who walloped home and smashed the sub3 on a debut performance - wow! That was the best news of the weekend!

Back to me - 67 miles for the week and a pb in the bank. Rub down and rest day Monday and on we go.

So this week represents the wobble. From the high of a pb and a good solid run out to the lows of an injury.

Monday

Rest day. Went out for a few drinks (my last until Cork Marathon) with KS and then saw the physio for a rub down on the following day. Everything very tight but told me to work away. I was taken aback by how tight my hamstring on my right leg was as this is usually an area in which I’m fine.

Tuesday

8 Miles easy 7:50 average. Legs not as tight but left calf a little stiff. Rolled.

Wednesday

Session. 3 x 2miles in 12 mins. Got through it ok 12:00, 12:07, 12:07 but I was very winded on the last one. Left calf my worry and in the warm up it was a bit stiff to begin with and then ok. Left hamstring had a dull pain but I ran on through it. In hindsight I’m not sure if it was that big a mistake or not.

Thursday

meant to be 10 miles easy but I got to 3 and pulled it. Not a terrible pain but enough to worry me and I’m thinking if I tear this that’s the marathon over. I jogged in and text the physio. Seeing him this evening and then I’ll know what the plan is but I’m feeling gloomy enough. Right now what I’m hoping for is to take the weekend off (I had been thinking about one day’s rest but I doubt I’ll be that lucky) and then easy running next week. Doing a 21 mile run in pain last week may well have been the moment of stupidity. I could have run on and done more legs of the marathon after having had a rest day on the Saturday. Can’t change that now. Fingers crossed he can rub it out but he will likely say do nothing until I see it next Thursday. If it’s that I’ll just take my licks. Feel fat already.

24 miles so far this week. Brutal.

• Advertisement

Well I got to the physio on Friday and thankfully just very tight but not pulled. He rubbed it out again and told me to take Saturday off and judge Sunday on the pain. I did that and on Saturday I got an odd pang plus a new pain in my hip. But it seemed gone Sunday morning and I got a run in.

Sunday

14 miles at 7:44 average. Hot day and I had no drink I could’ve gone on but I felt that would do.

So 38 miles for the week. It’s not what I want but it’s better than what it might have been.

Have had a look at this week and the miles are high enough but easier pace. Probably the last big week. 4 to go. March went any way but right, April was a dream May has begun frustratingly. At this stage I’m probably at the stage where I’ve reached or almost reached whatever peak I can be at in this block. I think I’m in fair shape to give things a go. Feeling nervous enough about the next couple of weeks but I’ll do what I can and be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Normal for nerves to start kicking in. You're in good shape - at this stage its a case of nursing yourself over the line without the need for any heroics. Have you formulated your nutrition and hydration plan for race day yet? 😉

Ha! The very essence of a post of two halves - firstly very comforting and reassuring and then WALLOP!

I’m surprised the legs have been so leggy since that race but I think I’m coming out of it now.

In a word… NO! I have no idea. Well when I say that I have a bit of an idea but it’s not measured and fancy like you and some of the other detail heroes do! Last 3 days I’ll carb up steadily. I’ll buy bottled water rather than tap. I’ll have eggs, toast and banana on the morning of.

Gel 1 - 6 miles/10k, 2 - 10-12 miles, 3 - 15 miles, 4 - 18 miles and 5 is a maybe. Water at the stations.

Long run in the 361 degrees this weekend and then make a call hopefully to wear them. Gonna leave the Vaporflys for this one as it’s getting too late to tinker around with things too much. Really looking forward to getting this week wrapped up. I’ve been terribly tired the last week or so despite decent sleep so I’m hoping that corrects itself. Nearing taper but a lot of work to do

If you read that post you're better prepared than you realise!

Ha yea that’s true pal! I’ll go to tried and trusted and then some small adaptations. At the moment it’s nearing but I still feel like I’m in the ‘work’ phase of things. In two weeks I’ll be at the last ticking over stage. Then come the mind games - you’ll likely be tortured on various platforms then haha!

• Advertisement

Haha no issue there. I tortured enough poor souls the past few months. Time to pay it forward.

Really good session this afternoon. All the 3s

3 warm up

3 - 6:40, 6:30, 6:10 x 3 with 2 min recovery each time

I hit them all.

It wound up 15.50 miles on the nose all in all. It reminded me of @AuldManKing when he was detailing some sessions earlier in the year or perhaps around Christmas time? I marvelled at how any man could do such big sessions without water or gels etc and here I am now surprising myself (maybe not as impressive as aforementioned sessions but as big as Ive done without any help!)

Leg tightness has pissed off thankfully. Three and a half weeks to go, still some big runs left. This is a daunting time.

Hello! With some of the usual heroes taking a little break from Boards to give the heads a rest and a few more having tamed the beast recently we are in a bit of a lull on the log front. It’s a shame because I take a lot of positive energy on here. Anyhow I’ll stay the course and finish logging up until Cork and it will be something for me to reflect on.

Been a big week.

Monday

7.20 miles at 7:54 - glad to be back at it. Very tired.

Tuesday

Zip. Rest day. No arguments out of me this week.

Wednesday

Above. Great session, pleased with it.

Thursday

8 miles 7:41. Legs much looser and took a lot of encouragement from that.

Friday

12 miles at 6:55. Meant to be 7:00s but felt pretty good. First big test of the weekend and I chose a hilly route. Headwind on the way out and tailwind back up the hills. Big box ticked.

Saturday

10 miles. Meant to be at 7:30 and I averaged out 7:30. Again I have become used to Saturday being a session so I felt a bit lazy but no harm to take on the big dog on Sunday.

Sunday

22.40 miles at 7:37. Wore the 361 Degrees for this one so there was a bit of trepidation on how that would go. Left calf been a tad tight of late. Rolled out of the bed last night and fell on the floor (not laughing) so the sleep wasn’t wonderful. Banged my empty head on the bedside table too. Good job.

Delayed my start so that I would experience rank heat I hope will be helpful for the marathon. Away at 10.00. Had to be alone unfortunately but I was pretty focussed on the job at hand so it bothered me very little in the doing of it. Went on a 15.5 loop that takes in Castleblayney. Round by a lake route met my cousin who did his first marathon in Belfast 2 weeks ago. He was out running off a hangover so that was just a smile and a wave.

Took a gel at 10 miles. SIS. No water - I kinda wanted to force myself into suffering a little bit to see how I’d go. It’s coming to that midday stage and the sun is out so perfect in that regard. Got a sip out of an outside tap on 12.5 miles. Back into Cross. Another gel at 16 and gulped it down. Got a drink of orange. The rest of the run was fine, nice, plain, boring. I picked it up to 7:15s ish for the last 4 and then a slight cool down. It was 20 degrees when I finished which isn’t a bad preparation and I hope for a dull day in June!

75.20 miles for the week and that is officially my biggest ever weekly total. I need to sum it up soon and figure where I am but I think the programme has been fairly well hit. March wasnt the best. April was a dream and May a small mix from good enough to better than expected and now back to what I want. Glad the biggest one has been done.

That was a super run today.

How did you find the 361 Degrees?

I noticed from strava how low your heart rate was throughout the entire run. Do you have any idea what your max HR is? I know HR can be hit and miss but its something I always use as a reference rather than it be the main driver for my training efforts. Was just curious about yours and how that sits relative to when you turn anaerobic.

Thanks pal. It was pretty bland but that’s what I wanted. 2hrs 50 on the legs is about the right amount of time I wanted too. Wouldn’t have minded slightly longer but it’s grand.

They were fine. Less of that ‘new’ feel which was no harm. Calves were grand as well. The VFs will have to wait until next time all being well.

Yea funny I brought it up on this or another log and just ignored HR since but I did see it fairly low today. In a word, No! I don’t really look into HR because it can be so hit and miss. I’m years behind on any advances that have been made haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

looks pretty meaty to me!!

Its amazing how the body adapts - one thing I'd do differently is take them more often, later in sessions when the body is a bit uuugghhh - that way you train your body to do the majority of the session without it but also train it to accept the gel when tired or when your stomach has that icky feeling and the last thing you want is a gel - but you know you have to.

Thanks lad! I’ll try that very soon!

May 16 - 22

Monday

4 miles easy - 8:27s. The day after the 22 miler I was fine all day but as soon as I set off I felt exhausted. First mile I was crawling along at 8:45 when I looked at my watch. Messed with my head a bit. Pace quickened a bit. I did the run at 4 pm and the heat was blistering. My head was pounding afterwards and I was just glad to be finished.

Tuesday

8 miles at 7:30 - pushed them out at 7:29. Nice surprise in school when I got out of taking Evening Study so I got at the run early. Constant rain. My da pulled up with me in the car on mile 1 - “you’re away in the head” and drove on before I could retort. I think he’s right but dont be tellin him.

Wednesday

Session. 2s n 3s. 2 warm up and cool down, 3x3 at 6:32 - on the way out I felt ok (I did an over n back along Newry Towpath)

6:31, 6:32 & 6:26 / 6:26, 6:27 & 6:31 / 6:29, 6:31 & 6:25

From halfway I had to turn back into what was a very strong headwind. Strava was full of cancelled efforts so although I felt I didn’t get on that well I was glad I got there.

Thursday

6 miles easy - did 6.31 at 7:56 average. Morning run. Next up was a rest day before a Saturday time trial at PMP.

Saturday

12 miles - 2 warm up and 2 cool down with 8 at PMP.

Chose a downhill start here and got my distance spectacularly wrong. My plan was to use the uphill on the way home as the cool down but I wound up having to run it hard. All the better. For the 8 miles I had 6:26 average and I’m happy with the effort it took to do that. Doing it again x3 and then some might be another story. We’ll see, felt ok afterwards and 12 miles felt short. Took a gel at 5 miles in the PMP and kicked the pace on, gulped it down deliberately to give me a sense of worst case scenario but no problems thankfully.

Sunday

Last big big run. Took a look at my gels and I won’t mention anyone here but I got a wee present in the post. Just as well cause mine expired in August 2019 hahahahahaha

Took one of the golden oldies at mile 12 and stole 4 gulps of water from an outside tap. I asked permission last week and I presume it should be ok this week too.

21 miles at 7:23 average. I’ve never been more ready, I hope that it’s going to be ready enough. I know I’ll give it an almighty try. I’ll have some the body or the lash conversations over the next fortnight. I feel very accomplished to be at this point in a programme the type of which I thought beyond me.

Two weeks to go - 65.18 miles for the week

May 23 - 29 - 1 week until Cork Marathon 2022

Here we go. The last week before taper madness.

Monday

Easy and short. 4.20 miles at 7:57. No headache this week despite similar heat. Tick.

Tuesday - rest day

Wednesday

Harder session than I was expecting. 2 mile warm up and cool down with 5 miles at 90%, ensuring a negative split (lots of spice to this one). So I figured 90% is 6:00 min/miles if I’m doing a 10k in 35:31. Checked that with the boss and he said yea spot on, but do 6:10s first half and 5:50 second… I was thinkin aw yea sure that’s simple…

Anyhow on the way out bit of a headwind I was pleased enough with that. 6:10, 6:06 and then the turn 6:07 for the third. I was like right time to shine. Fired a gel into me to see what it’s like at pace and then banged out a 5:53 followed by a sore stomached 5:48. First I was a little bit disappointed I didn’t get those even splits I was looking for. Did my sums and it was 30:04 and I was a bit miffed… after a forensic investigation I re-figured I came in at 30:01. Delighted with that. Little did I think there would be a time when I’d get up of a Wednesday morning, give up a negative split and still rescue a 30 min 5 miler. I feel like I’m in good shape.

Thursday

5.21 miles at 7:51. Felt grant, stomach still a bit tight from yesterday.

Saturday

Meant to be 8 miles at 7:30 but instead I met the lads and did 8.5 at 8:04

Sunday

Swapped the two runs. 12.11 at 7:24. Felt grand. The 361 Degrees make some difference to me in a run. Felt so easy.

I’m now one week out. Programme has gone well with some blips along the way. I’ve averaged higher, peaked longer and raced faster than ever before. All that indicates a good time next week. Just going to try to look after myself over the week and hopefully have a good day on the day. I’ve sat down and studied the course profile while also taking a bit of time to gauge a pacing strategy. I feel ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have you done Cork before? It's a great race. The first half can be fast so important not to get carried away, but you know that already. Cork can be a bit weird the way the relay and the half keep injecting more runners onto the course - some people don't like that but I think it adds to the atmosphere and you can feed off the energy when you run through the relay changeover zones especially. Looking forward to doing the half myself. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Ah thanks very much! No this will be my first time. I’ve read the profile lots over the last few months. It seems until 17 it’s mainly flat (according to the organisers - pinch of salt) and then 17-21 there’s a bit of climbing to do. That be your own experience? Emm I don’t mind the company but as long as they wouldn’t go crossing my path or that. The elbowing at the start line for Dundalk was annoying, some tubes about. Anyhow I can’t control that. Oh you’re running too? Great stuff I hope you go well too!

Was the stomach issue related to gels?

Nah I don’t think so I think more to do with the running effort and late breakfast.

Yes it’s definitely pretty flat until those couple of hills in the last third. The only real drag in the first half that I can remember is the climb out of the tunnel. With your target you’ll be well clear of the vast majority of relay runners and should be through the halfway point well before the half merges. The relay points can be crowded, narrowing the road, but again you’ll probably be well through before it gets too busy. Be grand.

Yep. Belfast 2011 the relays affected me badly but I just wasn’t expecting them and was wearing a Casio stopwatch! This time I’ll be trying to pace. I’ll not be getting dragged into anything silly and yea the trade off is the atmosphere passing through the stations.

What are those hills like?

We have to ask you to climb a sharp hill too, right on the 17-mile mark.

However, we’ve got one here on the 18.5-mile mark Our hill is on Connolly Road, named after James Connolly. The climb itself could be described as a flat lead-up to a medium distance, medium gradient climb. It flattens out as you reach the 19 mile Mark

From the 20-mile mark to 20.5 you are running downhill. Enjoy it, and it’s time to take a nice breather before the last climb of the day on Farranlea road. It’s our version of Heartbreak hill except it’s not really all that bad. More like a mild romantic disappointment rather than heartbreak! I tend to split this climb into three. It’s best described as one short, sharp climb followed by a plateau. A second long, light, almost flat gradient climb followed by a high, short step at the end. Confused? Don’t worry. You have the worst of the climb over you when you reach the top of the hill behind County Hall. When you come out towards Model farm Road there is a very short, sharp step up onto Model farm road. You’ve 21 miles down and the remaining 5 miles are flat.

That’s from the course description on the website. From what I can gather that looks like 2 half mile drags. Hopefully not too bad. A last one for now, how long does the bit in the tunnel measure?

To be honest the short sharp one is the only one I recall being usually steep -I remember it as coming up off a wide main road onto a smaller road - but it’s very short. The other ones shouldn’t bother you much, especially as you say you’ve done plenty of training on undulating roads. The description there is probably accurate enough - and remember Cork advertises itself as the flattest city marathon in Ireland!

Aye it says that on the website. I think it might be a wee link road. Ah hopefully not; I’ll try to spend my energy getting up them rather than worrying about them but it is nice to visualise what’s coming up. Haha yea that’s it! Newry had that for one year and it was the worst thing they could have done - out and back twice on a 5-6 mile dual carriageway. It wasn’t that windy a day but running against a channel like that was unpleasant. The longest I could see in one direction in Cork is about 3 miles from 3-6.

Taper Day 1

Obviously I’m going insane in the head. Thought I’d keep a little diary of this week to look back at at some point in the future and to occupy the head. Up at 6.42 - My plan is to cut back the normal waking hour each day so that Sunday’s early rise isn’t a surprise to my system. Tea. 4 mile run at 8:06.

Today’s feeding;

Toast, banana,

orange, pear,

chicken, tuna & Waldorf salad with beetroot/leaves,

banana, chicken avocado, lettuce and sweetcorn

chicken stir fry and noodles for dinner

Water is good. 3 coffees, 2 teas and 1 more tea to go.

I think I’m remembering everything. Got soaked changing an electric fence so straight up to the house to dry and change. That’s Monday.

Cut the toenails......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck at the weekend chief. What time you targeting? Will be at a few different spots on the route in or around your times I'd say.

Advertisement