Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining The Party (I hope)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Bit of a midweek madness update now for you all from my school study hall. Nothing is more inspirational than watching young people working/studying away figuring stuff out or nabbing me for a free question on their work.

Monday - 8 miles 7:50

Felt like I was pushing it a little bit my legs were very heavy. One of those evenings where I’m late getting to it, every yoke in the town seems to be pulling out in front of me, there’s training on in the field and not much room for me. Anyhow got it done, out to the physio for a rub down and got a clean bill of health. I was waiting to be told to take it easy but he was happy.

Home to the house for dinner at the ripe old time of 10.45. A real FFS day.

Tuesday 3x10 mins at 6:35 1 min recovery

Felt like my form was all over the place landing on bendy legs from the rub down. Easily made the session but felt uneven. Was just forcing through it.

Wednesday 5 miles recovery

8:20s average. No issues at all was pleased I didn’t have any ill-effects from the session. Morning run before school. I like to get them in now and again and feel like I have a free day.

Arranged to go to the lady’s house for dinner so that was another reason to get it done in the morning. BUT as the day progressed my leg swelled up just under the knee and I could hardly put it down. I don’t remember anything happening to it. Home to weigh cattle and hobble after them - 7 went to the factory today - and then thought I was gonna pass out in the car on the way over to her house. Got there, her dog dived on me and she got me painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Chilled out for a few hours and it wasn’t as sore on the way home. I can’t remember anything happening to it but I’m wondering if running hard (ish I know it wasn’t a hard session) after a rub down.

Thursday Rest Day

Was a rest day on the plan as well so I don’t feel like I’ve really lost anything that much. Leg is slightly better but still a bruise but I can manage stairs without wailing like a banshee today. I’m for home round 7 and then I’ll ice it and keep off it. I’m due to run light tomorrow and I’ll keep it short if I can do it but I want to do a good run on Saturday.

Any other ideas?

Hi all, took a little hiatus from these parts or at least from my log. Been very busy round home so here’s a bit of an update.

Sunday 6 March 8 Miles at 7:46

Wound up taking 3 days off running with the knee. I had had a half plan to go and do Carlingford Half but it wasn’t to be. Decided I’d do 5 but was feeling grand so did 8 and the last one at sub3 pace just to work a little. Knee held up so on we go.

Monday

Rest day

Tuesday 5 miles at 7:22

Aimed for 7:30s early morning run. All good

Wednesday 7 miles at 7:34

Same as Tuesday just ticking over and making sure the knee doesn’t act the bollox.

Thursday 10 miles at 7:20 in all

Plan was to do 2m WU and CD then alternate miles between 7:30 and 6:50

7:22, 6:53 (livid), 7:20, 6:40, 7:19, 6:44 so hit it grand. Felt fine after forgiving missing the first mile.

Friday 5 miles 8:06

Saturday 5 miles 8:08

Changing cattle and then a trip up to HQ to see Armagh take Kildare by 5. Kildare missed a host of chances in the first half especially and Flynn had a real off day. Jim Jim too missed some very hittable frees. Armagh did what they needed to. I’ll be rooting for Kildare to stay up though I think they’ve been excellent this league and are quite similar to us at the moment. If we can take the Kingdom next week we should be in a final… bit of an if but they have to travel. In any case it’ll be a good chance to test ourselves.

Sunday A Race of sorts

So K had an entry for Downpatrick 10k and she asked me if I’d do it and she’d spectate. I’d planned a longish run 10 miles 7:35s and 4 6:40 so I thought rather than suffer that solo I could go and soak up an atmosphere (soak being the word).

So off I went the hour to DP and K dropped me off, showing me a route I could get a long warm up done. I did 10k of a 1 mile loop at 7:33s and squeezed in for the start line of a re-routed race as a tree had blown down the night before.

My plan was now 6:40s x 2, 6:30s x 2 and 6:20s x 2.

Splits ended up 6:40, 6:28, 6:30 and then some tube revved up his car behind me so I gently discouraged him from doing so again and horsed on a bit. 6:13, 6:19, 6:13. Very strong headwind in the last 2 miles. Picking entire groups off over the latter end of the race was fun and made up a bit for watching everyone around my level disappearing during the first mile. I noticed a group of about 20 at one stage and every one of them had the fancy Nike carbons made me think of you guys on here.

Oh I bought a pair of them super shorts Adidas ones. Jaysus they’re the business. Wonderful tip so if I get nothing else out of this log then I’m happy about knowing about them!! Thanks!

Oh I came in 3rd Lady too! Thankfully KS told the organisers I took her entry or I’d be the panto villain all over again!

4 miles CD and that left it at just over 16 for the day and just under 49 for the week. Do well.

Monday 8 miles easy

We’re off again. 11 cows calved and a blister out as I type this.

Post edited by squinn2912 on

Ha! 12 cows calved. Wee legend had all done when I looked in the camera again. I may write up a new report every night hehe

Tuesday session

I know I’m a famine or a feast kinda guy but I wanna tell you about this one today. So I have a free period after lunch on Tuesday and then I stay for Study supervision so I knew finding time to do this session wouldn’t be easy.

2.5 mile warm up / 2 at 6:18 / 1 min on/off x 5 at 5:45 pace / 2 at 6:18 / 2.5 mile cool down

2.5 - 8:05 / 6:15 & 6:17 / exact on each of the 5 / 6:18 & 6:16 / 8:20s home

Ended up 10.65 miles.

I’ve been a bit apprehensive about this one especially since I ran harder than planned on Sunday - I could blame KS but it’s my own thickness. Could still feel leggy at the beginning but I was determined to at least give it a lash and get the first 2 miles of session done at the pace. It was a nice surprise that I hit the session the entire way through but I had to work very hard, probably a bit harder than ideal but I really wanted to hit this one.

Now I’m into my training a bit I’m starting to realise just how much it hurts to hit your targets. Headwind on the way home meant I had to almost race to get the paces and I had very little if anything extra left. What I am clinging to is that I did this on heavy legs albeit on a flat route. It’s daunting to think that i need to be demolishing a session like that.

Anyhow it’s in the bank for again. This Spring is about making it to a start line (hopefully) in Cork. After that there are gold, sliver and bronze prizes for me to chase before getting back on the horse for Dublin

Wednesday 16th March

6 miles early morning 7:49

Thursday 10 miles steady 6:48 per mile

Left calf quite tight so I was just hoping to get through this one and I decided not to venture too far from the house. Hit all the splits inside 6:50 which is what I wanted and the speed felt easy just that the calf could go at any time.

Friday - Monday = SFA

FFS you couldn’t make it up. So Friday was a rest day and all problems had vanished. I was heading to feed cattle and my foot slipped getting into the van, giving my ankle at the front a bit of a snap.I thought nothing of it but as the day wore on I could hardly walk on it. Saturday came and I knew there would be no run - 3 cows calved to start, middle and end the day and I missed out on a few drinks with the lads - seething but at least everything had a pulse. Mam and Da were over in London for a few days so I was on my lonesome. Ran out of feeding too so had to sweet talk a few neighbours into parting with a few bales. Got all done anyhow. I let out a few cows and calves and of course one wee brat of a calf got separated so Stevie got to run after him on one leg. Form wasn’t great.

Sunday came and everything still living so that was ok. KS was coming over and we were for heading to the Armagh Kerry game, leaving at 12… 10.45 and another cow starts the craic so I threw her into the pen and went up to the house for a cup. Watched the lady on the camera and she spat out a nice red heifer calf. Armagh gave it a decent go but Kerry had another gear, lost by 3. Clifford is like a look into the genetic future. Astonishing player. In the last 10 mins we got Niall Grimley on and he shook the life out of them though. Been a super league, really enjoyed it.

Hello Monday - got a walk round the yard and got another heifer calved into the slats so I had a bit of an early morning melee. I was walking fairly pain free by now though so that wasn’t so bad. Ice had helped a lot. Was tempted to run Monday evening but when I got home another cow was in the throes of difficulty - rang the oul man who was just into the house - “you may get back on the road day and get over here this cow’s stuck” over he came and between us we pulled a huge bull calf.

Tuesday 22 March 7 miles at 7:36 average

No bother with ankle thank Christ. Great to be going again. Such stupid luck lately but at least it’s been no longer than 3-4 days off for each.

Wednesday 23/3/22 8 miles at 7:18

Put the squeeze on bit by bit and did a 6:51 to finish. Felt fine but legs both days a bit ‘squishy’ after some days off so I was surprised by that.

Thursday 5 miles at 7:58

Friday 9.5 miles - Session 10 x 500m

Dosed with a head cold but I said I’ll get a few reps in anyhow. 3 mile warm up and then got going. Plan was 5:45 pace which is 1:47 per rep. One 1:48 was the slowest and I think I did 2 at 1:42. Happy with the pace but drained. Long run tomorrow so I’ll get on the lemsip and see how I go. Happy enough with the runs this week all things considered.

The learning from this week is that I tend to pick up a lot of niggles from farming, very hard to avoid. When there’s a slap of calvings it’s not easy to be doing marathon training.Anyhow we’re down to the last 11 and most are out so the pressure isn’t as bad.

I vowed to keep my goals realistic, grounded and tempered for the spring, just get back into it. I’m doing that. Lot of mini-crises but I’m still there and feeling gains. Down half a stone and another quarter to go. Big April to make the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I hear ya. Been fighting with a slight head cold myself all week. Made the stupid mistake to not wear a woolly hat last weekend. Thought it was warm enough and forgot that although I can race with no hat on during any temperature, on training runs i need one as otherwise I get the sniff (hence people see me even during summer dressed like an Eskimo 😁).

with that said, I’m impressed by your splits for the 500s. All at around 5k pace if I’m not mistaken. Considering the warmer temperatures and the sniff is a great result and confidence booster. 🙂

Haha easily caught!! I’m sneezing like a good one this 2 days! When the weather changes I get it

thanks for that yea maybe slightly slower than PB 5k but yea in that area. Woulda been simple if I had been at myself but I’m pleased to hit every split. 3 consistent weeks and I’ll be confident.

16 miles today with 2 at 6:36 at the end. the bag was out by the end but a good solid run too. Letterkenny tonigjt now to hot whiskey my way through it!

Saturday 26th

16 Miles, mostly easy pace with 2 at 6:36 averaged 7:46

Sneezing and spluttering away but got the miles in and it counts for a long run. Felt like muck earlier with a high temperature

Sunday 27th

Rested. Went up to Letterkenny and took the gear with me but thought no these would for sure be junk miles. Off to the match. Donegal needed the win and when it was announced that we were changing 4 starters I feared the worst. Getting it back to level was a decent effort. The media coverage of the ‘brawl’ is ridiculous. Barging about but little danger even if it was stupid to be sucked into it. Should’ve learned the lesson after the Tyrone game. Tyrone were treated disproportionately and unfairly that day and we got our turn now. Two lads not gonna get any game time out for them and three starters for us. Wee 6 don’t get much fair play at HQ. Magee was sent on for 90 seconds in the game to get a yellow and put a hit in. Nice. Beating them in Ballybofey would just be a tonic. Monaghan did shocking well to rescue themselves in a real chips down. Kildare made a great fist of it and came up very narrowly short on 4 days. Glen Ryan was dead right to give it cold to the interviewer.

Monday 28th 8 miles at 7:36

Green shoots of improvement. Post-dose tiredness hitting hard now but that’s not the worst thing.

Tuesday 29th

Rest day. Long day in school then home to help squeezing bullocks. Yuck job.

Wednesday 30th March

12 x 500m at 6:00 m/m pace - hit them all and had what I aimed for - 2-3 seconds in the bank for most reps so about 5:55. Good leg turnover and found it grand.

10.2 miles in all then back to school for 4pm for a webinar. Still weary enough in general but def not sick now so everyone can calm back down now!

Been so flat out with school/farm and trying to do my training haven’t got near anyone else’s log but I’m determined to keep this one updated at least and I’ll get on the horse again to check out what youre all up to, hopefully all going well - anyone I see on strava seems to be still clocking up miles so keep it up!!

Thursday 31

6.5 miles easy. 8:11 - up at **** o’clock and just coasted round it gettin it done.

Friday - 10 miles at 6:50

Meant to be steady but I felt friggin wobbly enough. Anyhow pulled it out in the rank rain at 6:47 average. Pace wasn’t too bad but a rotten evening and returned to 3 hours of farm work still in my gear. A taxing day. Groin was shouting at me up in the house that night but in the bank.

Saturday - 6x1k at 6:15

Dreaded this but it turned out to be a manageable enough run, no problem really hitting that pace but a bit of decent turnover. 8.5 miles all done.

Sunday - 18 miles

Plan was to do 7:40s for 12 and 7:15s for 6 but I was thinking f*ck that. I teamed up with P and just ran to casual feel. He did 15 with me and for the last three I did the 7:15s and averaged out 7:45 so I think that’s bang on.

That’s just over 63 miles for the week and my biggest in almost 2 years. The groin is causing a bit of aggro but it’s standing up to it. It is nice to have done a full week after 2-3 with interruptions for oul bullshit. I’m pretty pleased with myself. For the latter end of the week I’ve been clinging on but I hit every goal I had. I think Cork is 10 weeks away, it’s great to get out of March like a lion and I hope to kick on now and make April my own - no fools here agus ansin ar aghaidh chuig na tinte Bealtaine!

Monday 4 - Sunday 10 April

Good week, I was saying April would need to be a big month and it’s been a good start.

Monday 8 miles

8.2 at 7:28 average. Thought it would feel harder after the long run on Sunday but bounced along fine. Week started.

Tuesday Rest Day

10.5 miles - brought the session forward. 3m WU/CD and 16x250m at 5:40 pace. All was going great with the warm up but as soon as I put speed up I felt a shooting pain from my glute up into my back. It did ease a bit after 4 reps and so I completed the session and did some foam rolling that night.

Wednesday 8 miles recovery

8.2 at 7:42. First mile agony and then it eased. Was a bit concerned but it seemed to improve again a bit with foam rolling.

Thursday. - rest

Friday - 14 steady

Picked a new, hilly route and ventured a little further from home than usual. Averaged 6:48. Was bucked all evening after that and dreading the work ahead of me the weekend.

Saturday - session

WU/CD 2miles

2 mile at 6:30 1 6:00 x 2 with 90 secs recovery jog

12:59 and 12:55 then I think 5:55 and 6:01 - I just bung it into the same run on the watch and count in my head. I dunno how to programme the watch to separate it out and not that bothered about that. I like the working out.

Wound up doing 10.50 miles at 6:59 all told.

Sunday - Long (hooer of a run)

Wind kicked my ass. Mate did 11 miles with me, my calf was tight, I had to stop for loo breaks twice in 8 miles and hit about 7:15s to catch him up, once up a hill. From 11 to 20 it was just sheer thick ignorance to get though.

Mixture of pace for a vanilla run averaging out 7:42. Round the pace planned but much faster than I felt like going. Glute issue hit a little on mile 16 but I pushed it out. When you hit the 20 miler you’re joining the party so it’s a jump over a hurdle fairly unscathed.

71.5 miles for the week. Down round about fighting weight. Found the going very tough, particularly towards the end of the week but it’s done. Almost time to get going on Monday’s run!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Can I ask a question as its jumped out to me before and meant to ask then. You have a very very heavy load Friday, Saturday and Sunday.........Is this driven by a specific plan or your own choice? The reason I ask is that for a while it might seem manageable but that type of loading on consecutive days will typically lead to overuse injuries and could be the cause of some of the issues you've had with glute/tight calf. The foam rolling is smart. I just wonder are you killing yourself a bit over three days (14 steady + session + 20 mile long run)

Hi pal yea that part is very different for me. I’ve got someone making the programme for me it’s surprised me how I’ve been able to keep up with the weekend demands. A lot of the guys here talk about running long on tired legs so I’m hoping that serves me well too. If you look into the sessions the fast bits aren’t blistering which is where I’ve gone wrong before. My glutes went pretty tight but the miles are big. I’m trying to save the rest day this week for later on in the week though

I get you. And don't get me wrong...very common to see a session day followed by a long run..I've just rarely seen three big days in a row.

This morning’s effort was a particularly wan*erish one for me.

Session was 6x1mile at 6:12/6:18 with 80 secs recovery and 3 mile warm up and cool down. I was off for the morning with exams so I said F it I’ll give it a shot.

6:20 uphill - blaming @healy1835 for that wise idea, 6:04 - got a bit over-zealous, 6:14 - bit more uphill but not as hard, 6:12 (hurray), 6:11 and 6:09 - again too fast and then a canter to finish it.

Top of the glutes very tight and a bit sore but not enough to pull it or change it. Hit 12:81 for the session altogether and I’m happy enough with that. Full mile intervals are a bit newer to me. Did some ironing and then into school.

Thought I’d post up today’s run as it felt like a significant one. I’ll give the week’s total later in the week but this week is kinda turning out to be a bit of a post as I go week.

So I’ve been putting back the rest day a bit that I might get Easter Sunday off. Last Sunday en route home from my house my gf had a car accident when a cow jumped in front of her car out of nowhere. Been a bit of an unsettling week. Thankfully she’s fine apart from a few injuries that should clear up soon but a bit shook up too. So I went to see her Tuesday for a while and said I’d come back Wednesday as well. I took my gear with me and stayed over at her place - I can do little more to help but I can be there. Anyhow we had a nice day or two and I think it helped a bit anyhow.

So she picked out a route for me to run over there along a coastal path. We drove it first so that I could give it my typical surly approval and I felt the run would be challenging enough but not too bad. Mainly flat and downhill on the way out but a serious headwind.

Target was 6:45 average and I thought that would be difficult but I’d give it a lash anyhow. Splits for the first 7 miles were 6:44, 6:46, 6:45, 6:55, 6:55, 6:55 & 6:48 and I was busted. I was thinking to myself that if I keep it to below 7:00 until halfway then at least I’d get the distance and I could put the bad run behind me and look ahead to the rest of the week. Stopped at halfway point and took a pee and a drink.

Back to it and knowing I would have much more uphill on the way home I was resigned to pumping out 7:20s. The earlier 6:55 hatrick felt like a much harder effort. I glanced down at the watch and what seemed a similar effort but uphill slightly and I was running at 6:25 pace. Wasn’t uncomfortable. I thought let it back a bit and hold it as long as I can. 6:35, 6:36 and then I started to figure out where I’d want to be at 10 miles to be back on track - 6:37 and I was 7 seconds short still but feeling strong.

Few lads were out doing slurry and more doing a fence and I noticed a cow had just had twin calves right along the roadside. Banged out 6:36 for 11 and I was back in business - 6:40, 6:43 and eased back to 6:45 to finish.

One of those runs where hanging in there to grunt it out pays off. I might have gone too hard on the way back but there wasn’t anything too insane either. Good confidence boost and I’m up through the 40 miles for the week so far. Groin and glute issues been much quieter this week thank God. That’s me halfway though the big month and it’s back on

Sorry the hear about the missus. Glad she's ok.

I was full sure you were going to say you stopped to help the cow at mile 11.

Ah she is lad thanks. Wee bit better every day she’s not the sort to lie under it even if a bit of time out would do her good!

Hahaha no no, I’ve enough of my own as much as I wouldn’t see anyone stuck I wouldn’t intrude. She was aggressive as well, very aggressive.

April 11-18

Monday

6 miles easy 7:58

Tuesday

12.80 at 7:17 - 6x1 mile at 6:12s - report on that one above

Wednesday

8.1 miles at 7:53

Thursday

14 miles at 6:44

Friday

10.75 miles at 7:27

3 miles at 6:30 and 6x40 sec hill repeats

Saturday

21 miles at 7:41 average. On me Todd so a lot of thinking time!

Sunday

Rest Day, Happy Easter. Few days away with herself.

Over 72 miles for the week - less than a mile shy of my highest ever. Still going strong anyhow. Be nice to see how a race would go.

April 18 - 24

I’ve the big end done of a very tough week for me running wise anyhow. I’ve been thinking it’s just as well I’m on midterm. Going round the farm I dread every step that I might strain an ankle or calf (on my legs). We were dehorning calves yesterday and I got the lovely job of pushing them up the crush with a board. One kicked it and broke it in 2. The follow through hit me but the sting was taken out of it. I’m thinkin Jaysus.

Monday

Due to be a rest day but since I’d changed things around to rest on Sunday I did an easy run from Kilkenny down towards Kells. Out 4 and back 4. 2 miles in the urge for a number 2 hit me and I was running on tippy toes for half a mile. Mercifully the feeling didn’t come back until I got back but it def had me worried! There’s your steak now for ya!

8 miles at 7:32

Spent the rest of the day in priories, abbeys and hurling pitches as well as a park or two. I wasn’t that bothered about looking at portraits of men with wigs and hearing about how billionaires dealt with difficult times in huge castles so we didn’t do any of that!

Tuesday

Bit of a dog this one. 3m wu/cd and then 2m at 6:42 then 800 at 6:00 x 3 all with 90s rec - I felt like a countdown contestant with all the numbers in my head, got chased by a dog but had a glorious time at Páirc an Fhailtigh and then into the city, back out ‘our road’ and into James Stephen’s to do the last 800 and the cool down. Excellent facility. I wound up doing 2.5 for the last 2 mile bit after getting my measurements wrong but my heart was set on the 800 in the hurling field and I didn’t wanna be doing a 4min recovery like a pansy.

The numbers on garmin/strava mean F all now but I hit all of the times. One 800 was 2 secs behind time but with the dog nipping at me I’ll allow that.

14.71 miles at 7:16 average

Wednesday

6 miles east back in God’s Country. 8:02

Thursday

12 miles at 7:11 was a bit faster than meant to be. Felt very tired from 10 on but hung on in there.

Friday

The monster this week. 12.5 miles in all. 3 wu/cd and 3.1 at 6:08 x 2 with 3 mins recovery. I hit the paces almost exact and didn’t ‘lose’ any of them but when I was running into the wind it was an absolute killer. The last mile I told myself no looking at the watch until x spot. When I looked it was 6:23 pace ffs. So I surged for about a min and looked again - 6:18… class craic. I tried to move the arms faster for 30 secs, 6:16 and I’m struggling so I did what any other stubborn mule would do and went all out and it took all out as well to finish at 6:07. Whatever about the 0.10 I just kept running at whatever pace and the cooldown up the hill was a sluggish affair.

I’ve a 16 to go and then up to see Armagh take on Donegal. If we finish with 15 on the field I’ll be amazed. Great chance to beat them in Ballynoway.

Should take me up to just under 70 miles for the week and I’m averaging out 68.5 over the last 4 so April is still going to plan. Again, I need a race to gauge where I really am. Hovering at about 11 3 or 11 4 which is still light for me so I’m happy about that - without much real dieting going on.

Saturday

Sunday

18 today at 7:42s to finish off the week. Felt fine which encouraged me. Another 70 plus in the bank. On we go.

• Advertisement

Don’t think I said much about it but did a 10k race tonight in Dundalk and came out smashing the PB.

Míle splits

5:37, 5:34, 5:48, 5:51, 5:42, 5:39 and the 0.2 at 5:07 pace

5:42 average

Time on chip was 35:31 and a pb of about 50 seconds. My first real race in 2 years and about 8 months. What a relief to get that done.

Huge thanks to @Swashbuckler for the DM encouragement and words of wisdom about runners and prep, a hero.

Great run...I don't think that counts as a race report though... we need the gory details 🤣

Haha I’ll get a look at that tomorrow evening and throw it together sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB, nothing beats that feeling!

Right a bit of a report I suppose. I dunno how to write these but I’ll give it a lash.

DKIT 10k pb 35:31

First race since Carlingford 5k in July/August 2019. I decided on Saturday after my long run that I should race but saw that online registration was closed. Sh*t. So I messaged them and to my glee I could go in person and pay. I did that on Monday - called out after work, paid the fee and then did a reckie in my new runners - 361degrees Carbons… welcome to the dark side! I felt 10 foot tall it was weird kinda hard to stop or control. Anyhow first run in them and no ill-effects. 5 x strides at pace - I didn’t measure time or distance so it was about 50-70m

Tuesday I did a wee lunchtime 5k to loosen out in the 361s again and they felt a bit more comfortable. All slow.

Raceday had arrived. Better sleep on Tuesday night and Armagh’s no-show was becoming a distant memory. I woke up anxious though and it was about 11 am before I realised I hadn’t drank any water. FFS Stephen. So I bate a drop into me and got on with my day. Ive had 4 deadlines for school reports etc this week which is a torture all at the one time. I decided to stay late to get 45mins of reporting done and around 4 it was time to go… except it wasn’t. There was a Year 10 meeting for parents in the assembly hall about a trip to Barcelona next week. Some clown blocked me in. I text VP, Principal and other teachers I thought might be at the meeting. No replies. So me being me I went for the drama option. Marched into the assembly hall “excuse me, Mrs… I’m sorry everybody but someone in an Audi A6 has me blocked in and I’m in a hurry away today, could you please come and move it for me” A woman got up after a tense delay. She made for the front of the school I went after her “no sorry it’s at the back beside the canteen” Wrong car. I’m starting to seethe at this because the ass that did it knows well. So in I go again and roar out the number plate. 200 sets of eyes on me and I’ve a face like thunder. The poor Year Head could only look at the ground. “Right, thanks” away I went. Frigger didn’t come to move it and it’s a good thing cos it could go any way.

So I got squeezed out a wee gap at the handball ally (I really didn’t think I’d get through) with the help of a few lads to keep an eye for me either side.

Home I get and begin with the rituals. Changed clothes and got the eggs and toast on. Oul man rang me with a few questions. All ok. KS on her way out and I always shower before a race. I’m in a towel and she arrives. Some quick manoeuvring and i make it down the stairs on time to be pinning the number to my vest as she gets in the door. I’m raised but relaxed and she’s telling me all about her day. Some of it goes in. There’s a pair of socks I bought in August 2019 for Dublin Marathon and when I missed it I decided I’d save them until the next race… little did I know. So I tell KS the story (You’re a total psycho…) and vase up the toes. On with the socks and vest and put a long sleeve top on overall.

Out the road to Dundalk and I’m 10 mins late leaving. Fu*kin standard Stephen. Fu*k it. We got there on time and KS went away to get a coffee and I did my warm up after a wee kiss for luck.

Onto the start line and the announcer says there’s a 2 min wait. I got up near the top and a familiar looking lads ambled over to me. You know my cousin Eddie. I remembered his surname and asked what’s your first name again? We briefly chatted times and wished other luck. His pb was 36:50 mine 36:22 so we wouldn’t be far apart. We’re at the right hand side of the gantry and 3 lads come in from the side and stand in front of me. Now I have no clear path to the front. Cheers lads. Eddie’s cousin gestured for me to go ahead of him just as I was doing the same to him. I went forward reluctantly. And then we were into the ten second countdown (mercifully some know it all gym bunny didn’t take it upon him/herself to warm us all up with a high octane level routine - God I find that insufferable) and so onto the race

GO! I got into a good position and started the watch early to ‘gain’ if possible. 5 steps into the race and a thin fella cuts in from my left and all but stops in front of me “Run on will ya!” A roll of the eyes and I got round the first corner in the car park and lost him again - what’s the point of that? I come round another corner unscathed and now there’s straight. Glance at the watch 5:40… ok. 5:48 was my average last time out and that was in the sweet spot. I hammered on and surged a little, I felt nothing. About 3/4 of a mile in I said hello to DW and his daughter (I taught her) from the running club (I took a year out of it last year) and DW half-assedly replied… fu*kin lovely. 2 lads were laughin and one said youre some boy has time to chat… “Aw I wont chat much now” My watch buzzed 2 mins later (longer than youd think) 5:37. Good lad.

I horsed up the slight hill and we came to a turn to change road early in mile 2. 4-5 lads cut the corner (I’ve no issue) but I took it wide and they passed me. I just got into a stride and felt a light headwind kiss my face. I felt they were slacking a bit and looked at my watch… 5:42 no not quick enough and I kicked. Glided past 3 fellas and someone passed me. I tucked in and maintained speed Mile 2 5:34 You’re in fuckin business lad.

Mile 3 - I’m thinkin right here’s the 2 wan*er miles. Big long straight and it dawned on me that I messed up the reckie 2 days earlier and took an early turn. Tube. I laughed to myself but not very loudly cos I was feeling it. I was conscious of my breathing and spitting (awful habit I’m sorry) and thinking that everyone all around me thinks I’m gonna blow. Eddie’s cousin is up ahead. If he comes in ahead of me and he let me ahead at the start line I’ll look well. Any how I have a wee mantra for things like that STFU Stephen. Mile 3 in 5:48 and I feel a bit gassy.

Mile 4 - There’s an uphill in here. A few lads slow a lot but I think no push now. So I go past 2 more. Eddie’s cousin is struggling a bit. I offer minimal encouragement and press ahead. Up and down over ramps and I take them at their lowest point. My side is starting to ache and I’m thinking oh no! 5:51 I was furious I wanted them all below 5:48. Frig it.

Mile 5 I started hard and at the first watch check I think it was about 5:38. I’ve got 2 to go and I know well that it’s either do it or blow it trying to do it but there’s no backing down I want all or I want nothing. I tear along and the fella who passed me is still 10 paces ahead and keeping pace. I think ‘he’s not gaining’ I could pass him… then I thought do I wanna beat a stranger or do I want to beat a time so I just held on. We were on mainly flat now and I was on a stretch i knew well from memory. 5:42 - it’s back on.

Mile 6 - I need to make it one more mile. People are on the streets now clapping us along in bigger small crowds. I know I have fellas right behind me but I’m not here for a place I’m here for a time. 0.3 into the mile and my watch reads 5:36 I push a little and it’s on 5:32. I pass the guy I’d been keeping with all along. If he’d stayed behind me it would have likely been the other way about in hindsight and what about that at the time I know doing that will give me a kick to finish and if he retakes the lead over me good luck to him. I tear on up the last hill and round the soccer pitch. A couple of big shouts some people know me. On ahead up to the roundabout and the finish line is on my right. KS standing there and I’m calm now I know the work is done and I tell her “yea I’ll do it” a man screams at me right down to the end (you go to the end of the car park left and left and home) I push round the last corner and let one good groan then put the boot right down 6th mile was 5:39 but I didn’t notice it or if I did I don’t remember. I go into an all out sprint. I hate that about myself at times but I let the emotion out at a finish line. It’s not good for the quads. I haven’t had a race in over 2 years I’m gonna have a moment of abandon. I zoom through the line at 5:07 pace

The watch says 35:33 but the chip time is 35:31. A new pb. A pretty big deal for me. I began this log talking about injuries and genuinely thought I’d have another year of BS. Now I’ve just put out 3 x 70 plus mpw and a 64. I’ve hit a pb and 50 seconds off a 10k time is significant. I think there’s loads more in me. For now that’ll do. And that’ll do for the race report except to tell you all about the reward food

a snackbox with loads of salt. I got KS a bacon double cheeseburger which she didn’t eat so I did the decent thing and drank it down too… then woke at 4.22 having weird dreams…

8 miles today in pain and on we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thats an amazing time - very well done and a very well written report - you should do more of those.

I'm an admirer of your coach's methods (he's actually also an ex Boardsie), he has quite a few lads running very well, you included.

Yea he’s a super fella making a big difference to me. Everything I want in a coach

thanks a million lad. Great to have a pb monkey off my back

Like I said to you offline - that was a super run and thanks for the excellent report. We like to gory details on here. There's always some learning to pull from other people's race reports...The pacing was excellent. I'll be hoping to challenge you in the next few months 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Nice race and report. I ran that race in 2015, no PB for me that evening though. I studied in DKIT blianta fada ó shin, and played a bit of football when I was there too.

• Advertisement

Thanks pal you couldn’t have done more to keep me right on the day! Yea I enjoy reading them… when I author it’s a case of why use one word when 20 will do!!! The pacing surprised me to be honest. I didn’t think I’d get it as right. Don’t think there was too much more in me. Haha thrash me you mean!

Advertisement