Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

A Federal EU superstate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,961 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog

No

Article does not mention a "federal Europe" though?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ Freight bandit

"Germany has set itself ambitious goals to launch a reform process of the EU.

The new government’s coalition agreement specified that they want to use the ongoing Conference on the Future of Europe as a starting point for EU reform that should ultimately lead to the “development of a federal European state"

It's been mentioned elsewhere that the new German government is putting EU federalisation on the top its agenda.

Also Macron banging on about a new EU sovereignty

Post edited by Freight bandit on

• Advertisement

They did in Lisbon treaty when they removed language referring to flags,anthems,symbols to hide its political ambitions and avoid calls for referendums on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭ Danzy

Apart from it being a clear aim and with the introduction of the Euro probably inevitable.

I wonder if the people of any of the member states are going to get a say on this very big decision, given the EUs history with referendums I doubt it.The hope seems to be that after further integration it will be past the point of no return so tee hee hee....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭ StupidLikeAFox

Do you not see the contradiction here though? Britain didn't like where the EU was heading so they left. That option is always there for any member state, and the EU will always need to balance that fact with any moves it makes.

In the US, individual States cannot just leave when they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭ joseywhales

I think Texas still has an opt out clause but yeah I see your point. We are not being coerced into anything, the door is always open.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Chips Lovell

You do realise the treaties are public documents? And that as voters, the people of Europe are not divorced from the process? If we don't like how the EU is moving, we can vote in different representatives. Or indeed leave entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭ fly_agaric

I see 2 people thanked the stale German=Nazi slur so I suppose it must be an old one but a good one!

Anyway those most likely to bring such troubles back to Western Europe are the anti-EU nationalists in the different member states either trying to hobble the EU or break it up. They won and got Brexit done in the UK and it has been a wonderful boon for good relations and mutual understanding between France and UK and Ireland and UK. If there are more "exits" it'll be more of the same bad humour with more players (or more likely just pawns being played by external powers like US/China/Russia/Giant MNCs/India or who knows who else from Asia or Africa in future etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭ MrMusician18

There will be no further reform of the EU institutions for the foreseeable. There are too many external threats at the moment and the process of treaty change is too fraught. There isn't the time for extended period of navel gazing.

As for the long term direction of Europe, well that's for the peoples to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ cheezums

As much as people want to retain sovereignty, we have to face the geopolitical reality which is the US is in a rapid economic, environmental and social decline and will or has already ceased to be a global superpower and thus we are moving into a world with China as the sole superpower and Russia as a lesser power.

A federal EU state with a EU army would restore the balance of power so our ancestors wont be speaking chinese in 100 years time.

You have to look at the bigger picture.

• China is only interested in Taiwan, not a Fourth Reich-style global domination.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭ seenitall

Lol, here’s the bigger picture: our descendants will be speaking Chinese any way you cut it, my teenage daughter is already ahead of the curve and is taking lessons in mandarin!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,233 ✭✭✭✭ Gatling

Russia hasn't been a superpower since rocky 4 ,

There was always a belief that we would part of a unified and united Europe,as pointed out already most countries use European laws, we have a European parliament , currency ,and global trade deals ,next they will push for a standing EU army running along side or separate to nato , our defense forces are already part of the eu Nordic battlegroup ,it actually makes sense with the Putin carry on and the threats of putin using energy and gas supplies to various states to threaten or blackmail other states to allow him free range to bully other countries in the Baltics

Langley , Virginia

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ cheezums

Not global domination no, but setting the global agenda on all fronts, from non negotiable positions. A world in which an authoritarian human rights intolerant China is the sole superpower is not where we want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭ MrMusician18

I'm already confident my ancestors weren't eating beef chow mein.

• Advertisement
Advertisement