Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The joke was more of a "look its no big deal, so much so that its ok to make a quick joke about it and move on".

So, one word to describe Oscars 22'...??.... RUBBISH.

That whole farce last night was embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yep that’s probably true all right, he has made serious money. I suppose I wasn’t really following the exact meaning, and just making my point on who is the biggest ‘movie star’. I don’t think I ever watch a movie with ‘The Rock’ in it. He wasn’t in ‘The Rock’ with Cage and Connery and that was pretty good action film.

I read somewhere before, Matt Damon turned down the lead role in Avatar, and the deal he was offered was some kind of incentive based. Had he took it it would have turned him into a billionaire or something with how the film did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rock's 'joke was way out of order, but Smith's reaction....wtf

Before I watched the video I thought it may be some sketch/set up, but that was really serious. Smith was in a rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

was thinking the same this morning. Imagine if that shot that is everywhere (the one with Rock recoiling from the slap) was of Smith slapping a female host or of a white actor slapping Rock? The attacker would likely never work again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

More people have watched the flap than have watched Code and the power of the dog combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Same woman has been interviewed about it and explained the reasons for shaving her head. She also said she has made peace with it and is over the shock.

so where was the insulting comment? Either way, one person said something that upset someone.

Will Smith committed an assault ( or was white, or Chris Rock was female)

What would be the reaction if Chris Rock fell or stumbled and whacked his head?

what if Will Smith had a knife (or an Oscar) and struck with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

Was it just me, I thought Smith looked pretty pleased with himself walking off stage, even seemed to have a grin on his face ? Didn’t come out of it very well anyway.

Have not watched Coda but last years winner Nomadland was absolute rubbish. Previous year Parasite was exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭al87987

In fairness, he's the best actor, not the best thinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I don't care for Jada at all, but she's a great looking woman, even after shaving her head.

If I hadn't seen her scornful face, and only saw Will Smith laughing at the "joke" initially, I'd have seen no bad taste in it.

I'd have thought it as using a pop-culture reference to say "all the power to you, Jada. You still look great". Not saying it belongs on stage in front of hundreds of peers, and millions of viewers.

There's been plenty of duds dropped on an awards ceremony stage, I'd have thought this would slip into obscurity quite quickly if not for what followed.

Will Smith's acceptance speech was awful.

Nobody talking about the lad from Dune forgetting to put on a shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

If ever there was an ad for a completely septic relationship it's this. Smith seemed broken the time he did the interview around their strange arrangement.

To go from laughing at Rock's joke, to instantly getting up, slapping and roaring at him in such a public arena. The man is broken trying to maintain that relationship with her. Speech was pathetic as a follow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭briany

Oof...

Being a comedian, the thing that will probably bother Chris Rock the most will be thinking up all the witty things he could have said in the immediate aftermath. He held it together well as it was, but a zinger right then would have been legendary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It's quite obvious what happened. Will Smith has been slagged to death over his open marriage and his wife riding young lads.

He felt emasculated and wanted to show the world what a big though man he was and took his opportunity.

We talk about toxic masculinity when it suits us....

comedians can make jokes about cancer, pedos, rape etc. - they're just jokes and nobody has the right to assault someone over it.

Smith is an absolute gimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really don't think Will Smith was laughing at the joke. Given what happened, I'd say it was more of that kind of mad but trying to laugh it away but knowing you're about to smack someone. He wouldn't have done what he did if he was laughing at it, then saw Jada was mad. If he himself wasn't mad about it in that moment, he likely would have just confronted Rock after the show, or called him out during his speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

That is not “unhinged”

if he had beaten Chris Rock or bit him - that would be unhinged.

it was a slap across the face. And a feeble one at that.

Smith lost his temper. He did something he shouldn’t have.

there is no mental instability here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Maybe Smith saw his wife face and saw red which I say he regretted 10 seconds later. After a talking to by his wife I bet himself and Rock met up after and its all been put behind them. Seen headlines of Rock has not pressed charges yet as if he will. There will be skits about it probably all 3 or in 2's and mentioned next year

He should have said something like, ‘Kim Kardashian’s fat arse couldn’t break the internet but this just did’. Or less controversial, ‘that beats the stupid group selfie of whatever year it was’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Saw the clip, struck me that it wasn't really a joke or if it was, it was in poor taste. Then he seemed to laugh at his own cleverness until until yer man went up and put him right. Very inappropriate and not PC, but I'd reckon there's many who'd be saying fair dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Was anyone else massively impressed by Rock's ability to take a slap? Smith connected solidly but Rock firmed it like a pro.

He dealt well with it on a social/professional level also.

I am now a fan.

Post edited by DeadHand on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would agree.

It also has to be said that if it were Dwyane 'The Rock' Johnson hosting the Oscars and made the exact same joke, Smith wouldn't have moved an inch.

I was thinking of a “bankable star” as some like Will Smith was or Tom Crusie is deliver blockbusters because they are in it.

But a “bankable star” of course doesn’t mean bloackbuster but means someone people will go to see and can turn a profit.

So there are a few. Tom Hanks as mentioned earlier.

The Rock too but I don’t think many of his movies have been “box office gold”.

I think the Hollywood award shows will put an end to personal comments like this. The terrible jokes were why I stopped watching these a long time ago - even Bob Hope was crap at the Oscars.

no doubt they guy who wrote won’t be hired next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

That’s not a punch it was an open handed slap, big difference

• Advertisement

It wasn’t “professional”. He reacted just like many others would. With bewilderment.

Unless you mean by “professional” that he didn’t cry like a big girl? In which case the. He did react well.

I think if Will Smith had slapped me in the face (even that feeble slap) that I would cry. More from the thought Smith was cross at me than a physical pain - which obviously there wouldn’t be any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I don't care what they said on Oprah, deep down, no man is ok with another dude ploughing his wife.

He totally got bounced into that and it shows on his face.

I think this is it.

His actions were massively misguided though. Ironically, putting him up for a different level or ridicule, of his own doing.

I'm seeing cries for "cancel him". He's acted a fool on a very big stage, he was in th wrong (regardless of whether you believe Chris Rock was or not). It hardly warrants "cancellation" FFS. It might just change some perceptions on him within the industry though.

Apple are not happy about this.

Distracting everyone from their film CODA being the big winner.

Marty Whelan was talking about CODA this morning. I don’t think he mentioned the slap. Class act that lad.

Will Smuth was sexually assaulted at an event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Amy Schumer tempted fate by joking at the opening bit that this year's In Memoriam now contained the Golden Globes.

The Oscars can definitely now add itself to its own dead list.

And I say fair dues to Will Smith, if he hadn't belted Rock, everyone would be talking about how absolutely terrible the whole show was. Now they don't have to.

I wonder where we'd be if Big Willie had hit a white comedian. He certainly wouldn't have hit a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It would have been equally as bad if he'd hit a white comedian. Unless it was Ricky Gervais, in which case it would have been hilarious.

Not sure that meets the bar of sexual assault tbh. Reporter was a dolt though.

He be slap happy. Not quite up to the Hollywood gold standard of Burt Reynolds but he's getting there.

CODA was a lovely, easy-to-watch movie. But stunned it won best picture.

They really did a great job wih casting, because I think without it, it would have slipped through as some standard daytime TV movie.

The cast elevated it to that higher level. Troy Kotsur comfortably deserved his award (although didn't see Being The Ricardos).

Good haul of awards for Dune, I'll finally have to watch it. Only held off because I read some reviews suggesting it was esentially a prologue to future movies. But, there's no other obvious reason I wouldn't watch it, Denis Villeneuve is yet to put a foot wrong in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

bad in what way, the only way Chris rock can be funny is by trying to humiliate someone, and picked on a woman with a medical condition. Good on Will Smith, he gave him an open handed slap i've seen many a mother dish out to bold kids. IF he wanted to hurt him he could have, no problem. I'd love someone to do it to jimmy carr or james corden next

Watched PR guru Terry Prone on Ireland Am this morning, she made some very good points. She reckoned there will be NO repercussions for Will Smith. Rock is a twat, he mocked an actress with a well publicised condition and her husband bitch slapped him. She reckoned if anything, there will be support for Smith, publicity for the Oscars, and more attention for alopecia. Just watched a clip from Richard Maddely who said of all the celebrities he has interviewed since 1972, he is on record before this saying Rock was the most ignorant, rude, aggressive one. The interview had to be so heavily edited that it was only 2-3 minutes when broadcast.

Im a bigger Smith fan now than I was before, if they started taking Oscars off celebs who behaved badly, there would be a lot of those golden door stops in a box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Hilarious how alopecia is being used as the trigger for this reaction from the smiths.

How many people are familiar with the background of their marriage? She 110% wears the trousers, was probably set to be the bigger star when they got together, but the power/fame shift in their relationship has dramatically changed over the years and it's clearly rankled with her.

She's a Z Lister to his A Lister but I'd say she is an absolute massive presence in their house. It's like someone with a huge ego playing second fiddle to someone whose sole purpose was to run around pleasing the former.

The trigger to this incident for Pinkett wasn't alopecia, it was the fact Chris Rock (who knows her true form) has aimed a few barbs at her in the past and for this one she happened to be in attendance. The joke came in the context of speaking about another Hollywood couple Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz, mentioning they were both nominated. To keep his wife happy, Rock said Bardem was praying Smith would win the best actor category in case Cruz missed out on best actress.

Pinkett was portrayed as the odd one out (reference to GI Jane2 was more a poke at her failed career as much as her hairdo) and it was her bruised ego that sparked the reaction.

It's a fascinating insight into their home life/relationship, it was 100% seeing her reaction that made him spring into action, he simply had to act or else things would be difficult for him on home front. Mad to think that kind of spousal pressure can cause a husband/wife to act so irrationally in order to keep the peace.

He basically chose to make an absolute holy show of himself in order to try and please his wife. Very very unhealthy set up. You can see Smith is an angry guy, a lot of pent up anger, probably a couple that should have divorced but stuck at it via willpower rather than love.

I hadn't heard of theirs before. Was that person trying to make a name a for themselves? He seemed more concerned about people seeing it.

Someone earlier said Smith slapped the guy. Another piece of melodrama - Smith barely tapped him and you can see clearly that Smuth wasn’t lashing out in anger.

Is there a comedian who also has the name Ricky Gervais?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When Will Smith sat down and started swearing, Rock should have said "it was only a joke, keep your hair on!"

You need to watch that clip again.

Smith isn’t angry at all as he walks away.

A lot of people are seeing things in that clip that are not there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think what you will about the Smiths' marriage/relationship and what they've said publicly about it, but it's preposterous to blame Jada Pinkett Smith for a thing her husband did of his own volition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think it's clear that Smith is upset at what's happened in his marriage, has probably been forced to go along with this "open marriage" BS while trying to repair it - half out of fear of breaking up with someone he loves, half out of guidance from the Smith PR team - and all this has been simmering beneath the surface.

It's likely he's been putting up with it because he doesn't want to lose her, and when he saw how upset she was at Rock's joke last night, he probably panicked and thought "I'll confront him and she'll be impressed". I can guarantee those 10-15 seconds it took him to walk up to Rock were the longest of his life with all the thoughts going through his head.

All the same, it's no excuse.

Crikey, are you blaming her for this? That is a unique perspective. The loss of hair due to alopecia is devastating, a close male friend suffered it and he has never been the same person personality wise since, I can only imagine what it must be like for a woman. The GI Jane reference was about her hair, no doubt about that, if you want confirmation, google the film. Will Smith was a megastar when they met, a glance at his film bio at to 1997 when they married will tell you what you need to know.

Black people are not to be trifled with?

What's going on here?

*Backs away slowly*

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I think it's clear he was "angry" when he sat back down.

Whether it's real anger, or faux anger to appease the wife, that's another story

• Advertisement
Advertisement