Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is a reasonable assumption that he knew. she has had it for 4 years. and it isn't the first "joke" he made at the oscars at her expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm not up on Mrs Smith?? can you elaborate please😶

• Subscribers Posts: 41,833 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

look at 3 posts above yours.

absolutely more reason not to make jokes about peoples appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

it was a really tasteless joke about quite a damaging disease. Gervais would never had made it- he would go after actors narcissism or bad behaviour. My guess is the writer didnt know she had a condition and thought it was a fashion choice. Will smith should exile himself from next years ceremony though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I think DiCaprio is the most bankable movie star. Apart from his latest about the comet, practically every film he makes is both critic and commercial success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm out anyway, thats enough commentary on these 2 clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's correct for people to criticise Rock for his joke as it wasn't very funny and was personal but I don't see how people can use it to excuse Smith or justify his actions. It did not give him the right to walk on stage and assault Rock.

Two wrongs don't make a right and in fairness I think Rock handled it well afterwards and Smith looked really bad and then his speech after was just woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Do we know if the “joke” was Chris Rock’s own or if it was from Academy script writers?

He surely didn’t get famous with this kind of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Steveimitation

The real scandal is how such a bang average film (if even that) like Coda gets nominated, let alone wins Best Picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Probably fair.

Tom Hanks was to a point but a lot of flops recently/direct to streaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Will Smith was definitely wrong but it is strange to insult the partner of someone up for an award. Felt very Golden Globe-ish

So does he...who cares...they are clearly ok with it and have been open about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Meh. Don't think I'll bother with Oscar betting again; AFAICS there wasn't a single real surprise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Zidane did it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,578 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hanks has been churning out pretty solid movies TBF. Not too many "flops" in there.

Also direct to streaming doesn't mean your movie is a flop.

The streamers now are financing the movies.

she shags around? maybe that's why he was so uptight?

If Smith was more intelligent he would have walked onstage as he did, but then taken over the stage with an impromptu speech about his wife condition, how it’s something many women suffer with, how it’s wrong for presenters to make jokes at others expenses and then at end Rock he needs to leave the stage before he physically removed him. This would appeal to every woke group out there and bring untold future opportunities to both Smith and the wife. But I guess he didn’t think and just acted in the moment, and out of control.

But his movies are not really big at box office like Smith’s used to be.

Tom Cruise is pretty much the only movie star that really draws the crowd. Other than him it is the franchises that are the star.

However, didn’t Smith make a choice to step away from blockbusters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Pat Kenny for Oscars host 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Frankly, that would be a good thing.

Smith was pissing and moaning about the Oscars being "so white" and all that other useless noise a couple of years ago and then when he gets the nod he behaves like that...over a silly joke...and from Chris Rock of all people. I think everyone should have been prepared for, at least, a bit of dodgy humour.

What a stupid bugger. 🙄

Never rated him and was always bemused at his popularity, but he'll be remembered now for being a knob at the Oscars.

Didn't watch this last night cos the Oscars are a load of old bollocks, but looking at that this morning I first thought it was staged. But Rock is visibly shaken there and Smith effing and blinding wouldn't be allowed at such an event.

Surely a contender for cringiest Oscar moment ever?

I know what you mean on streaming but quite a few box office bombs in there recently. The circle, hologram for the king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not sure if you are missing the point or on a wind-up but absolutely no-one is offended that he used profanity.

The obvious point is that his response was so utterly and ludicrously over the top, and context is utterly vital to that.

He assaulted the host and shouted obscenities on live TV at the biggest, most coveted event in the industry that for most, is the ultimate culmination of their personal and professional lives. It shows a stunning lack of control, judgement, rational thinking.

Then followed by an odd, rambling acceptance speech. It's not difficult to see why people are of the opinion that he behaved in a very unhinged manner.

Had he confronted and assaulted him privately, it would still be radically unjustified, but confronting him in the direct physical manner he did, in the context of where he was, and why he was there - yes, he acted completely unhinged, and dismissing it as "sure, have you never been angry yourself?" is almost comically - or I suspect deliberately - missing that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Eh direct to streaming is not bad thing nowadays as Coda and Power of the Dog are exactly that with a limited cinema run for Academy Rules

Like any person, he probably thought of something like this himself later.

• Advertisement

I agree but the discussion was on bankable stars so really focussed on box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

How did Coda win best picture ? A fairly schmaltzy ,unoriginal predictable thing with bad dialogue that I wanted to and did just skip ahead through to see what happens.

good thing he wasn't at the BAFTA's a few weeks back

it would have been Rebel Wilson with a sore cheek

You need to go back becasue there are people acting offended about his language.

and it is absolute nonsense melodrama to call what he did “unhinged”. He lost his temper. You seriously need to use a dictionary to look up the meaning of “unhinged”.

People here are being more over the top than the incident itself.

Smith got angry. He reacted badly.

How you can leap to it being a mental health problem is just bizarre.

Even DiCaprio winning speech fir the revenant from few years ago was great. The guy is just pure class. His performance in Gilbert Grape is one of the greatest child performance ever. Wasn’t crazy about wolf of Wall Street as a film but his performance is amazing, he definitely should have won that year instead of McConaghy. I think he will become president of USA some day instead of George Clooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Remember Gervais’ joke about di Caprio’s date and the length of the Irish Man. It was hilarious! And di Caprio took it so gracefully

She absolutely bombed he would probably have been asleep if he was at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Top class hot take action in here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Augme

What's unhinged is losing your temper to that extent and in that particular situation over something so minor.

So did Scorcese and that whole table of genuine legends. DeNiro in particular seems to love a bit of an edgy joke.

My personal favourite hosts are still Tina Fey and Amy Poehler...cutting but with a cheeky smile :)...they would be great Oscars hosts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I preferred the world we used to live in where insulting someones wife was perfectly good grounds for getting a slap.

Only problem i see apart from the probable scripted nature of the entire thing is that he didn't hit him hard enough.

Yep I was also wondering why he didn’t box him like I assumed he did at first and was impressed with how Rock was able to stand his ground. I don’t get this men slapping other men, makes them look like real pu$$ys, they need to box them properly if they make the decision to go there. Like when Khabib’s crew invaded the octagon and went for McGregor, McGregor got in as many boxes at them as he was physically able to, regardless how wrecked or outnumbered he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Will Smith made a total fool of himself, and went totally OTT. Why couldn't he have given his wife a hug if she was upset? And/or, as someone else suggested, gone up on stage and said that making fun of people for a disease they can't control is wrong. The joke was distasteful and unfunny.

But then he basically doubled down in his cringy acceptance speech, which I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of as it was godawful. Whining celebrities and their awful struggles, give me a bloody break. And had to be "comforted" by people like Bradley Cooper and Denzel Washington during the ad break. Who was comforting Jada?

So bored of men and their fragile psyches, whether it's Putin causing destruction and untold misery across Ukraine because he can't handle feeling like he is losing control and power, or this pitiful display from Smith.

And no I'm not saying Will Smith and Vladimir Putin are the same, but men and their anger and their egos dominate the news agenda far too much. Zzz. It's so fcuking boring and weak and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

McGregor (assaults random men he doesn't like) the true definition of manliness..

Anyway off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Smiths have been courting publicity for the last few years as if they were Katie Price and then he gets pissed off over a cheap joke. Wild craic. What a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Making a joke about a person's appearance is a tricky thing to do especially if there are medical issues involved. Jada obviously reacted negatively but other people with hair loss might have seen the funny side of things.

But responding to a poor taste joke with violence is never acceptable or defendable, whether it be on the street, in a pub, or on the Oscar stage.

In fairness to him, on that occasion he was just defending himself against 2 Dagestan tough guys who decided to sneak up and attack an exhausted and already beaten competitor. He sussed them fairly quick and gave them as good as they tried to put on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I don't have much empathy, women make fun of men all the time for things they can't control, balding, penis size, height and looks. It seems like a big double standard for me, do you not remember that on the Fresh Prince the running joke was Carlton's height.

As the users on this incel forum pointed out, Will Smith seemed fine with the joke at the start then he noticed she was offended and the cuck felt the need to defend her honour.

https://incels.is/threads/chris-rock-is-a-legend.363736/#post-8324175

What about the random man he punched in the pub?

Not to mention those sex assault charges are still rumbling on...

Will Smith slapped him when he could have punched him...the one slightly sensible thing he did...plenty of cases of one punch attacks killing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There's been incidents of bad behaviour and ego for the last ten years (and before, if reports are to be believed). Men in Black 3 was a troubled production because of Will. Third act had to be rewritten, then he fell out with the director because they wouldn't cast Jaden in a role. (It's why Will didn't sing a song on the movie's soundtrack). Also complaints about the size of his trailer, among other things. After Earth, Karate Kid and Annie were two projects he produced (and wrote the story for AE) that were fraught with trouble. Lost money too.

Even on Fresh Prince, his former co-star (Aunt Viv) has spoken of how difficult Will was to work with. (Even got her fired, allegedly).

Interesting analysis of the Oscars last night.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/2022-academy-awards-review-bad-show-will-smith-1234711870/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What a complete scumbag Smith is. Never really rated him as an actor, hes quite limited in his range, but i lost all respect for him after that slap. If Chris Rock had an ounce of self respect he would file a complaint to the cops for assault. Its right there in front of the whole world, and all because Smiths ego is bigger than his brain. If that were a woman making that joke and Smith slapped her, the world would explode with outrage and Smith would lose everything. But it seems acceptable because its two men.

And yes , the joke was stupid and in poor taste, but the way to handle it is to confront him privately and ask for an apology for making light of her condition. Not to storm on stage and assault him in front of the whole world. What a dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just watched the full uncensored clip there. Will Smith is a p**sy.

He laughs when Rock tells the joke and we see Jada isn't happy. Camera switches back to Chris Rock - safe to assume that's when Will looks over at Jada and realised the Mrs is angry. So rather than confront Rock later, even grab him and get into a scrap long after the Oscars ended.... he gets up, walks calmly over to Rock, gives his a sly unexpected slap but immediately walks away. Then when safely 20 feet away (or whatever) starts getting hard running his mouth off shouting. But shouting loud enough so everyone can hear. Not just Rock.

Comes off as some performance - like 'no one disrespects MY wife' but nothing behind him. Of all the jokes that could have been said this was nothing. She has a shaved head so Rock went down the GI Jane 2 route. He didn't say "Hey Will, who fucked your wife last night?" or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Good job Chris Rock is black or there would be a whole different conversation going on.

The professionalism from Rock to continue was amazing - he came out of it very well. Him telling Smith that it was a 'GI Jane joke' really did show up the complete overreaction from Smith.

I think Smith will cop a lot of flack for what he did. It was an unnecessarily violent reaction. The optics are terrible for him.

Advertisement