Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I do indeed have that - thanks man.

I get a connection established from my dev box to the VM hosting HA (it's a VM under Hyper-V running I assume ubuntu or some other flavour of linux). The IP address 172.25.163.148/20 was assigned by HA to itself on boot. E.g.

But yeah - good connection from the MQTT explorer to HA, so I'm inclined to think HA is setup correctly.

and that the problem is that my openDTU can't see the 172.25.163.148 address. Any way of doing a tracert or ping from the opernDTU client?

Aside: I did need to give it the username/password though that I setup for it in HA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

And when you enter your HA details, do you see the SA sensors there too? Like so?

Also you did add the mqtt integration too right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You need to reconfigure the VM so that the network interface is bridged to your main 192.168.0.0/24 network. I haven't used HyperV but Google informs me your looking for an external switch in HyperV parlance.

Thanks Jonathan. Yeah, I came to the same conclusion at the same time. For some reason when I created the VM for Home Assistant, it bound itself to a virtual NIC which I setup (ages ago) and that NIC would allow traffic from the guest OS to the host OS, but no routing. Hence why the MQTT explorer on my devbox hosting the HA VM could see it, but nothing outside of this pair could.

Correctly rebinding the VM to a virtual NIC off my actual network adapter in use and we're on the 192.168.0.xxx network. I knew it was that, just didn't know why! :-)

Next step is to see if I can get openDTU to talk to this new address, this should be an easier problem.

Boom - done! Look at that glorious screenshot :-)

Hasn't picked everything up yet, but I believe that's a matter of time. Or a little tweaking - possibly when the sun is up
    Now the fun part is to get some charting/dashboards up and running. Pity it's dark outside as the inverters might be "offline" now, so that might be why not all 4 inverters are showing. I'll have a play around with it.

Thanks for your help everyone. boards.ie for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭allinthehead

When I enter my HA details where?

Ya, I added the mqtt integration.

This is what I see in Mqtt explorer.

Post edited by allinthehead on

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ha! And there was me assuming this was on docker. 😁

Don't forget to bind that IP so it doesn't jump if it's DHCP.

I hadn't specified one way or the other - so t'was a fair guess. Just see now that all 4 devices have reported in (along with the 5th device being the official Hoymiles DTU). No data of course as it's dark….but yeah, looks I'm good with the hardware on HA now. Anyone got any recommendations of dashboards that are worth a look?

I made my own using apexcharts and also use the default Energy dash in HA. Then stick in the solar forecasts and get nice projections.

I'm getting this error in the mqtt log.

New connection from 127.0.0.1:59038 on port 1883.
     Client <unknown> disconnected due to protocol error

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Advertisement

What's the IP here? Is this HA or SA? This means SA mqtt is working I think

When you go to mqtt in HA, under integrations, who do you see?

Should be something like

And you created the mqtt config file like they say in the SA docs?

Ya, that's the SA IP.

Under integrations in HA mqtt has no devices or entities.

I have the code pasted in file editor.

I'm not sure I fully understand this line though-

• remote_username and remote_password should be uncommented if you configured MQTT authentication in SolarAssistant.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Log from mqtt

Looks like it's checking for a username and password, but not getting it.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

@SD_DRACULA I don't have SA, but why wouldn't you just configure SA as a regular MQTT client rather than bridging the two MQTT servers?

Paste what you have inside your solar_assistant.conf file so we can compare to mine

Sounds to me you have your username/passwords enabled on one side but not the other

Also paste your mqtt config from SA, this one:

Yeah not sure why they have it configured like that 🤷‍♂️ I was thinking the same when I was setting it up but got it working so never bothered.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Mine is like this so you're missing the #out

connection SolarAssistant

address 192.168.0.154
    topic # in
    topic solar_assistant/# out

They have a crap photo in their guide, the text has it in there but the photo does not:

Try adding it there and then restarting HA

I had that in previously, and it still didn't work. I put it back in there now and restarted but no joy.

On the mqtt integration, what information should I be putting in the configuration?

This is what I have at the moment, everything else I try fails to connect.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Looks correct.

For me it detected it automatically on the integrations page.

Do restart SA as well just in case and you can also try to do a reload on the mqtt integration

Thanks, ya did all the restarts etc. Deleted mqtt and started again too. Just don't get it.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Advertisement

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Started again, wiped all the changes and went to a previous back up.

When I just install the mosquitto broker and make no other changes, that error is there.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Glad you are up and running. Should power up early on as it doesn't take much to bring the micro inverter to life.

You could set up the standard energy flow card like 10-10-20 or play around with the gauge cards or the sunsynk flow card linked earlier.

I still fiddling and using all three at the minute until I'm happy.

Pretty impressed with HA. Amazing that this is free as it's an awesome product.

Struggling to get some of the layout the way I want it, and also an entity with daily total production (sum of the individual panels), but this is more me being a klep than a problem with HA ….

Hmm I'm not seeing the solar_assistant.conf file on your log:

So I think the mqtt addon is not configured correctly.

Your config looks like this?

This is the mqtt bridge way which you should not need.

Try from scratch and just follow this one: https://solar-assistant.io/help/home-assistant/setup

Add them up like this:

- platform: template
        sensors:
          solar_watt_total_sum:
            friendly_name: 'Solar W combined'
            value_template: "{{ (states('sensor.hm350_power') | float + states('sensor.hm700_power') | float + states('sensor.hm800_office_power') | float) | round(1) }}"
            unit_of_measurement: "W"

- platform: template
        sensors:
          solar_energy_total_sum:
            friendly_name: 'Solar Total Energy - Sum'
            #entity_id:
            #  - sensor.hm350_yieldday
            #  - sensor.hm700_yieldday
            #  - sensor.hm800_office_yieldday
            value_template: "{{ (states('sensor.hm350_yieldday') | float + states('sensor.hm700_yieldday') | float + states('sensor.hm800_office_yieldday') | float)|round(1) }}"
            unit_of_measurement: "Wh"

What I'm saying is that I wiped everything and installed mosquitto broker only. Didn't do anything else and it shows that error in the log.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

This is the log when I follow the instructions.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Still looks to me it's trying to do the bridge setup, maybe go to mqtt on SA and add a username/password

And then update the conf file with the username/password you just created in SA, something like:

connection SolarAssistant
    remote_username someusername remote_password somepassword
    address 192.168.0.154
    topic # in
    topic solar_assistant/# out

SA is defo working correctly, just a matter of getting it right in HA

• Advertisement

Thanks for sticking with me on this.👍

Already tried adding a username and password, unfortunately no change.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Advertisement