Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Musk to buy twitter. It's on, it's off ..... it's on again.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I was following the case for the past few weeks, he was almost certainly gonna lose, so I think he figured if he's gonna pay $50bn anyway, he might as well get the company in return. It'll be interesting what he does with it, he's one of the richest men on the planet but it's still a good chunk of his money going into it, he can't just let it go to zero. I reckon he'll make some good out of it. Even if step 1 is to let Trump back on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There was a billion dollars break clause so he could have got out of it if he wanted but he's that much of a child he'd rather overpay by multiple billions for a declining company rather than admit a mistake.

I've shares in it for a while now, so I'm delighted. It has the potential to be a great company. It is the number one site in Japan, for example.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not necessarily that simple. If it was just a 1b break clause he would have just cancelled the deal and paid it. The big problem is the court case could force him to buy Twitter at the agreed price. He made an offer and it was accepted and the court can force him to follow through on that deal. It has happened before. The court case if it continued would probably have damaged him and Twitter and he probably had a low enough chance of winning the case and getting out of the deal so decided it was better to buy it now rather than forced to buy it later after both their names were dragged through the mud.

• Advertisement

Yeah the break clause was only if he found something material that was undisclosed. He used the bots as an excuse but that was disproven in court. Hence, he was forced to buy it

I love it, use it every day for news and entertainment, but there's zero revenues coming out of it. The amount of use I get from it versus the very minimal number of ads felt cheap. Dorsey kept saying he wanted it setup almost as a non-profit public forum, he never had much interest in monetising it, under the old regime I never felt it was going to grow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I recently bought some more BHP, giving me exposure to nikel and uranium, but not lithium, given their scepticism. Luckily my catching a falling knife strategy hasn't resulted in too deep a cut as yet and I was in before the latest dividend bonanza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I'm still waiting on the sidelines as I see the market going lower after the Q3 results are announced. I think that could be as low as it gets for some of the stocks I'm watching. Google will be first on the buy list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Exactly my thinking, results out later this month I think.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I echo this sentiment. We haven't bottomed. We won't bottom until unemployment is higher imo.

Most of my money goes Nasdaq, until the average recovers the 200d I'm not putting anything in

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Unemployment figures are a lagging indicator. Number you need to watch is inflation. Until it comes back in control interest rates will keep rising and stocks will keep dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

We were promised if the US 10 - year bonds went over 3% we'd get a recession. In 2021. Seems they were right, the 2nd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Right Folks, most on here are commenting ,I think, on US stocks.

I embarked on a fiveyear investment of a portfolio of shares

Unfortunately I MAY have to sell this week.

The shares with considerable losses(when sold) are ,

CRH

Kingspan

Nvidia

Teladoc

Shopify

Fastly

Coinbase

Upstart

Novavax

Roku

Twilio

If anyone out there would like to give me their opinions on the chances of these increasing in the next six months.

having watched them fall over the last year, but thinking long term ,I held on.

If I sell this week , my portfolio is still up12 k, but it had been up 45

I rather like the bit on here some time ago , where a poster said selling your winners and holding loseers is

like watering weeds and pulling flowers

Regards

I'd hold tight on all of these if you can. Many are at 1Y lows. I would fancy all of these companies to be around in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Actually, I'm really only interested in Australian shares.

Is the "MAY have to sell" for a reason other than "I don't like the stock anymore"? If ya need it for house, wedding etc, fair enough.

Otherwise, I like (and hold) many of those companies, the trend is down at the moment, but there's gonna be some big money made on the way back up

"I rather like the bit on here some time ago , where a poster said selling your winners and holding losers is

like watering weeds and pulling flowers."

I saw Charlie Munger making this point on a video. If you sell your profitable stocks and hold on to your losing stocks, then in effect you are selling your good companies. It's a valid point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

We will see 2500spx within the next year though, this will test many over the next while.

Anyway I think Intel was mentioned a while back on here at 35$, probably time to buy as they try turn it around...

Intel Corp. is planning a major reduction in headcount, likely numbering in the thousands, to cut costs and cope with a sputtering personal-computer market, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

The layoffs will be announced as early as this month, with the company planning to make the move around the same time as its third-quarter earnings report on Oct. 27, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the deliberations are private. The chipmaker had 113,700 employees as of July.

Some divisions, including Intel’s sales and marketing group, could see cuts affecting about 20% of staff, according to the people familiar with the situation.

Intel is facing a steep decline in demand for PC processors, its main business, and has struggled to win back market share lost to rivals like Advanced Micro Devices Inc. In July, the company warned that 2022 sales would be about $11 billion lower than it previously expected. Analysts are predicting a third-quarter revenue drop of nearly 20%. And Intel’s once-enviable margins have shriveled: They’re about 15 percentage points narrower than historical numbers of around 60%.

At the same time, the company is under intense pressure from investors to shore up its profits. The company’s shares have fallen more than 50% in 2022, with a 20% plunge occurring in the last month alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Hold CRH and Kingspan long term they should be ok

Nvidia is a good company so should be ok but chip industry is cyclical and we will be in the down cycle for a few years

Teladoc is a Dogshit co

Shopify was overpriced, but probably an ok co at todays valuation

No idea about fastly

Coinbase is another Dogshit co

Novavax, another Biotechnology co on the Nasdaq, don't know much about them other than they were on the covid bandwagon....

Roku I think they are niche, might be ok but I don't know enough

Twilio another complete Dogshit co

I was bored today so tidied up my outdated watchlists on my phone and on Google Finance, just deleting stuff I dont care about anymore and adding a few that came to my attention recently, my God it was an eye-opening experience, the vast majority of companies I nearly ploughed my life savings into all through Covid and before that all down 60/70/80%+, I could have been ruined! The last 2-3 years I spent kicking myself for sitting on cash watching inflation go mad and it turns out to be the best investment I ever made. Only holding 2 shares atm, PLS Pilbara Minerals and REGN Regeneron.

They're down that much from the peak, but they weren't at the peak very long. If you DCA then you'd have plenty of shares at reasonable price, and only a small proportion of them would be down 60-80%.

Yeah I know but they peaked during Covid and thats when I was losing my mind wondering where to put my cash as inflation got more and more obscene, nearly piled in to the FANGs and a load of others a hundred times. Im just going to go for a house instead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Its all very well sitting on the sidelines with your loot in your pocket .... but if there were a sudden recovery you might find it tough enough to get back in ... There have also been a few mini spikes & troughs .... easy money if you got lucky. Personally got lucky with a few quick flips... but mostly DCA-ing down to try to setup for the recovery.... (whenever that might be)

Any thoughts on Meta at the current price? It seems like good value but the recent news on the Metaverse makes me less optimistic.

Have ya seen the Metaverse? I'd consider myself tech-savvy but I've no faith in it. Can't see much of a use outside of Gaming. HE abasically invested $60-80bn to invet Sims

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

The metaverse userbase is embarrassing but they are making one that doesn't rely on having a 3-400e headset. The ad business still makes a shedload of cash and they have a PE of ten so i think its a decent buy at this level but they need to come up with more revenue outside of the core ad business soon.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dunno, feels like there are a lot of storm clouds on the horizon for Meta. They are being investigated left, right and centre, and they are likely going to start having to pay content creators for content elsewhere in the world in the near future.

Advertisement