Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share Picks 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

BABA up today on I guess rumours of nearing a deal to let US auditors inspect the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Anybody invested in Digital Turbine around here ?

Looks like a growing company for me. Pricing looks ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For the year to June 2022, a net income of $15m. Long term debt of $473m and $882m of Goodwill. Market cap of $2B. A young company. All about timing I suppose as an investor. Would it be better to wait a few years before jumping in.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I've had shares for quite a while in that one. Pulled back a lot from the covid highs, PS ratio looking very attractive now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭md23040

Have deleveraged to about 50% equity with balance in cash. Got rid of a few dogs like Boohoo bought when 60% down etc and continued death spiral, IAG etc had taken profit previously, Bank of America taken profit previously.

Have the following winners with €145k committed - BP, Shell, Total SE, (50% of investment in these three and kept all in since COVID outbreak). Apple (been good), United Healthcare (one of the few winners in 2022 and consistent growth). NextEra Energy, Suncor Energy (good performers) and Vestas that was a darling 36 months ago but have sold down by 75% and taken profit.

Losers but have long term faith - Ryanair bought 12 months ago (so disappointed considering all their planes full), BABA same and bought again in down dip. Meta bought 8 months ago and bought again in the down dip (this a long term hold).

My thoughts are along the TINA effect, but if equity takes a bath then investors will scramble for the exits. High energy and interest rates take about 9 months IMO to affect consumer spending and think recession inevitable with a decrease of possibly 20% by year end in overall markets. Inflation during this downturn will reduce substantially esp Q1 2023 in States. If so intend when market very negative and pile in then to stocks. Could be completely wrong who knows, that’s why committed to strong stocks, mostly giving decent dividends as a hedge. Hate sitting in cash, but gold has been useless, bonds falling and crypto a joke. Property poor as well and sold €20k Greenmans German property fund as takes 6 months to exit and want money for buying back into the market.

Finally can never see the logic of having 10/10 and buying a diversified portfolio of 10 stocks at 10% holding each. Imo less risk with good stocks you have a good haunch about. 50% of my portfolio in three stocks and TOTAL only a small holding by comparison to Shell, BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'd consider 10 stocks concentrated rather than diversified 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

META looks oversold. I'm going to take a small position for a long term hold and see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement

Pilbara Minerals PLS broke through $4 on the ASX last night, new ATH and its not slowing down, they are absolutely pumping cash at the minute, billions to spend on dividends or new acquisitions, not a buy rec because it has been on a massive tear all year so could retrace but medium to long term its looking like a life changing investment for me anyway. Anyone else still holding? A few of us on here bought them in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Degiro down for anyone else? Telling me my pass code is incorrect on mobile. And my authenticator code is incorrect on desktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Fair play 👍 had some Pilbarra myself at one time, but got out with a small profit around the time Tawana/Alliance sh*t show 💩

Lithium has been great for anyone who got on the rollercoaster at the bottom.... but I would imagine its downhill from here. (Hope you have been locking in some profits along the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I bought some more BHP and it's since increased a bit, but still down in total.

Nah not selling yet, its a medium term hold for the next couple of years for me unless my dream house appears, there isnt a fraction of the lithium producers required for the global transition to EVs nevermind grid scale storage and everything else and Africa and the South American brine is looking like a bust, Australia is where its at.

There probably will be big dips along the way, there were some big gaps on this run up (ASX share prices love to go back and close gaps) but they have a massive amount of territory still to drill on top of their already monster resource and now they're moving into downstream processing of their own product with the South Koreans for even more profit all while piling up billions in cash every quarter, this is another FMG in the making imo, p/e is only 8, 15 isnt abnormal in the sector, they do their own auctions of any spare product once a month and its a bidding frenzy every time. I wont risk being out even with the sh1tshow of a Winter on the way. This is one of only 2 shares I still hold, gone to cash everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

l absolutely hate everyone who was in involved with TAW. They ruined my perspective on Australian lithium stocks, missed on incredible opportunities over the past couple of years because of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vinnyda

I sold all my PLS shares during the week at 3.97, tbh I had a sell order in that i forgot about and was not expecting the push from 3.70 to a new all time high. Have held since 2017 as well and being through a roller coaster with the stock, hoping to buy in on a retrace, I am looking to buy back in around 3.50 if it goes that low again. I agree that it is another FMG in the making especially with the amount of cash it is generating with the BMX auctions every 2 weeks or so.

My one regret was that I dididn'put more into PLS and avoid TAW /A40 which I got badly stung on. I still have A40 on my degiro account, any idea what is happening to these shares now? I sold MM1 ( old COW) shares as I couldn't believe they appointed Calderwood to the board after he screwed up A40

Post edited by Vinnyda on

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭md23040

Your logic correct but markets for some unforeseen reason do not always work solely on such parameters, for example your logic should apply to the darling soaring sector of 2020/2021 semiconductors, then sped bump for the likes of Nvidia’s down 56% despite latest fiscal quarter where its revenue rose 3% from a year ago to $6.70 billion.

It seems a company has a headwind and strangle hold on a market sector and then technology allows a pivot, or simply investor opinion on a sector sours and suddenly any negativity can be like a tsunami on price.

Good your in cash same as me at 50% invested.

PLS broke through $5 last night and closed just below at a new ATH, lithium price just keeps increasing with no new supply coming on, I dont know what to do tbh, losing my mind a bit, RSI is red hot so probably due a pullback, I really should sell here but even a big pullback would feel like its just getting ready to go on another tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vinnyda

It has had a great run the previous few weeks, I wish I had sold half my holdings and held half to capitalise on the current share price. I do think it will correct to below 4 dollars in the coming weeks but who knows? No harm in taking some profit off the table though?

• Advertisement

Carnage. Absolutely carnage. Baba continuing to drive my portfolio into the ground.

Down 15% overall in the portfolio now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads thoughts on Spotify medium to long term?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I also hit a new low today, portfolio down 23% overall. Going on holiday next week hope to not look at it until I come back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Microsoft, META, and Alphabet are all looking like good buys at the moment. I think it's a great time to be buying some well established large cap stocks.

Could well be.

I'm kinda thinking that worse is to come. Once the big companies start cutting jobs and the economy really feels the effects of the downturn, earnings will fall and they'll tank more.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sold PLS. 1000% profit. That will never happen to me again anyway.

Tempted to join you and it was definitely the smart move in the last 2 sessions but the annual report is this week and its going to be red hot so Im just going to hold through this turbulence, lithium SPOD price just hit a new ATH there aswell.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Aye, TAW was a big disappointment. I said I wouldn't buy over there again. I passed on Liontown, when a friend was telling me about it. Raging, as he has made a fortune with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

At last a bit of respite in the markets. Strong gains yesterday in the US followed by the same now in Europe. Let's hope it continues 🤞 as I'm still underwater on most of my positions after the relentless beating they have taken. I did sell out some of the more speculative stuff and averaged down on what I deemed my core investments but that only goes soo far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hard to see widespread losses stop in anything but the short term, given the systemic risks with CS and DB looking like they are edging closer to disaster along with the fact that inflation isn't being stemmed and interest rates are still probably going to rise by a minimum of150bps over the next 12 months in the US and Europe. Unfortunately the outlook is fairly bleak and we will likely need to tip into at least a mild recession to curb inflation.

Advertisement