Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the most offensive/hurtful thing ever said to you?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

The main bully in question ref my son was in fact going through horrendous mental torture himself at home

turns out mammy was shagging around behind his dads back- young fella found out - dad boxed mammy about, gardai / court’s investigation etc

( didn’t find this information out until months later from my sons head mistress- so there’s a story behind everyone)

• I started getting an increasing share of insults from someone going into end-stage alcoholism, and I stepped aside before it became a fixture. Same person was doing so to family members also, anyone who got close enough to the action. Always the people who are most helpful get it right in the face when it comes to addiction and the apparent lack of self-awareness in to be seen to be believed. “When did I insult you?” a great diversionary tactic as if to say I wasn’t aware of it, now fück off yourself. People in addiction or distress can be like cornered rats, you don’t corner them, you step aside. Just because it’s not their fault, it certainly isn’t the fault of the object of their displaced self-loathing.

I had a couple of managers at work who were seriously dysfunctional, and took it out not just on me, but on almost everyone they encountered. I got it a bit worse as I am inclined to stand up to bullies. I got a stress related cardiomyopathy at work due to extreme insulting bullying, but I was able to take early retirement in full pension 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

I grew up in a house full of women, what amazes me and you often see comedians doing a skit on this is how they can start an argument over a frying pan and then when they're losing the argument to turn around and bring something totally different into it,something real personal in an attempt to cut you. I've had some shocking stuff said to me down through the years to the point I don't even talk to them anymore and probably never will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

That was almost 3 years ago. I cut all contact after they left. They are still the same. All they think about it is what they need and want. They don't give a damn about anyone else. I know I'm much better off away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Yeah, so what did they say to you????????

And what comedians? Apart from Bill Burr?

@manonboard lol of all the best prizes, owning the shittiest experience is the worst :D

Well I didn't mean that you had the shittiest experience, more so that you made an effort at telling the story behind the remark made to you. I get the impression that you were considered ugly because you were fat as opposed to having an ugly face. Could be worse. And if I'm right, then your problem was something that you could've had control over the whole time.

"I wouldn't let you sleep in my room if you were growing on my ass."

Said to me by my older brother Buzz circa 1990. 😢😢

• I have no more wisdom than anybody else but have equal right to post in a thread that is owned by nobody in particular.

On topic> I have stated above where insults unfortunately came my way in the circumstance of another person’s alcohol addiction, and about five years ago by a couple of managers at work, where a culture of bullying was allowed fester. I, and others had been the apparent source of the addicted person’s various misfortunes, but you take it in one way with a grain of salt. Much worse occurred about 5 years ago when I called emergency services for a colleague who collapsed with a heart attack but the boss’ beef was that I had not sought permission to do so, and said manager wrestled the phone out of my hand but not before I got it back into my possession. I was subject to an entire string of loud insults thrown at me to try and publicly humiliate me.

Anger management issues at play in all these kinds of case, but in the case of the two managers it was the result of a combination of unpleasant personalities and a certain culture in the organisation at the time. I was only one of many “victims”. They should never have been allowed in their particular management roles.

Hard going- we had primary teachers and one presentation bro who were lunatics but v majority of our teachers were gentle interested and caring

• Advertisement

• Interestingly most of my teachers were fine, and I went to a convent school in the 60s/70s, apart from the odd one which really amounted to no harm. With this very pleasant school background it didn’t prepare us for real

life people 😂😂😂

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

My youngest is set on becoming a teacher, went to both my previous schools and no lunatic teachers all the way up , good for the most part but his generation are soft and I’ll prepared for the real world I fear, physically no sweat he’s a black belt/ Gaelic footballer/ soccer player but him and his mates would be eaten alive in certain areas

There was this gossipy girl I once worked with that I didn't like. She act like she was your best friend asking questions but then when you'd over hear talking to others about people, it became clear why she'd be asking me stuff. One day I heard her talking to another girl and she said "I wouldn't mind if it were a big group... you know the more the merrier, but if it was just a few of us then I wouldn't really want him there". I didn't think much of it at the time as I was focusing on my work, and presumed they were talking about someone else. But then it made sense. I'd knew that they were planning a staff get together after xmas for our section of the company; about 10 people. They were talking about me. They knew I was about to leave the company so I wouldn't be there by the time it was due to be on, and therefore I didn't need an excuse for not being there. But this girl knew I was about to leave and seemed to take a turn on me. It was very hurtful that she would make those remarks with me in hear shot. The other girl seemed like she was trying to remain neutral... just saying "yeah yeah".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

How is this offensive or hurtful?

Sounds like she simply didn’t like your company.

You don't get it. She was saying right in front of me as if I wasn't there... to fcuk with me. She did some other messed up **** too. I got her back though.

Maybe I was jinxing it by typing this thread but something quite offensive was said to me. I began working a new job on Monday and was introduced to an a$shole of a trainer. It started with something that wasn't all that bad; he was showing two of us around the site and as he was bringing us through some yard he joked to somebody he knew "two new lambs for the slaughter here" if I heard it right.

The next offensive remark came towards the end of the second day. As we came to the end of the day instead of saying goodbye he said "disappear"! A few seconds later after we'd sorted the stuff on our desks and were ready to go he said "right lads, ciao... disappear quietly and I'll see ye in the morning". It's basically a more polite way of saying "get out of my face". And seeing as I was the only one of the three who first language was English I felt the onus was on me to say something.

Part of the reason it was hurtful was because I liked being able to start fresh at a new company. Being knocked into place like this does not help me or the company.

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You just started the job. Stop being a snowflake and get on with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

You look a lot like Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

phlegm-wad

Post edited by Old_-_School on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

For f*** sake, the guy made a casual joke re 2 new recruits. Perfectly normal.

Second remark sounds very much like he was letting you off early and yet you take offense to it.

I don't often pity employers but if this is the attitude of new hires nowadays, God help anyone running a business that employs people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

A few years ago, myself and my then-girlfriend were in the Roisin Dubh in Galway for a drink. Upstairs, just inside the door from the smoking section, is a narrow section including a small bar (or at least there used to be - haven't been in that place for years).

Myself and my ex were standing opposite the bar at the wall, just chatting, when a bevy of college-aged girls squeezed past us. The last girl in the group was obviously quite ****-faced. When she was passing she stopped and looked at us. She stared at me for 2 or 3 seconds. She then looked at my ex-girlfriend (who incidentally is very pretty) and then back at me again for a second. She then turned to my ex and yelled in her ear "SHOULD'VE GONE TO SPECSAVERS, LOVE" before waddling on her way out to the smoking section.

It was pretty hurtful at the time but when I think about it it's actually quite funny 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I'm guessing through slack-jawed speechlessness 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

You were a mistake that never should have happened.

My father had a way with words.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Been called a pady twice.

First was by a guy from Derry (though I'd imagine he'd call it Londonderry) who was just out to wind people up.

Second was by an English director of a course I was on who called me it and then told me not to get offended because it was only a joke. He then used the n-word to refer to a black lad on the course to prove it was just a joke. We were both stunned and debated how to handle him but he was the guy who could decide our future and we just wanted to be done with him.

Two absolute idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Was told to snap out of my depression (at the time undiagnosed bipolar disorder) when I was 15 or I'd make my mother's cancer reoccur

Advertisement