Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the most offensive/hurtful thing ever said to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Loads

"The best part of you ran down your father's leg"

And plenty more of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Anytime the parents in law come to visit I make them dinner, as I do all the cooking in the house, usually a roast with all the trimmings. They know my wife doesn’t cook and she has told them countless times but they thank her exclusively for the dinner. Which is why I’ve lowered my standards and lengthened the 5 second rule to 30 seconds for their food. Not exactly hurtful/offensive to me but meant that way in a passive/aggressive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I hate stuff like that. You always feel that the most important thing is that you don't come across as sensitive... you think "what if they just forgot who actually did the dinner", or "what if they're thanking her for something else?". But fcuk that. If it's your house and you cooked the meat then I'd be correcting them. But I don't follow the 5 and 30 second rule you mention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

You know when u drop food but pick it up within 5 seconds, it’s still ok :) sometimes I don’t get to pick their food up for 30 seconds :)

We adopted a baby from Russia....when he was around the 9 or 10 mark he if I'd ask him to do something/ give out about something I'd get the lowest most hurtful remark ..." you're NOT MY DAD" . That hit the spot / used to sting....... but now 15yrs later I reverse the comment............ 'dad, can I borrow your car'.... 'dad,can you spot me a 50note'..........nowdays I say " why, sure you're not my son"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Not what they said, but what they did….

I had an aunt that owned a small grocery shop back in the 60s/70s and like many small shops of the time she sold toys. She visited us every Christmas with presents of toys. Expect when we opened them they were always broken or damaged so we could not use them…. Well she died very recently and talking with cousins we discovered that we had the same experience. An older cousin pointed out that from conversations she’d overheard, it was her way of getting shot of crap she could not sell.

Imagine deliberately giving broken toys to kids at Christmas! Especially in the 60s/70s when we did not have much toys to start with…a fire engine with a wheel, a doll without a leg…….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

When I was 18 i worked in the stockroom of a shop here in Dublin. Stockroom manager was an awful man.

One day it's just me and him in the lunch room and I am eating my Burger King and he goes "do you always eat with your mouth open?" (I wasnt) then he shakes his head and says "no wonder you don't have a girlfriend" - I was some shy, spotty, no confidence 18 year old and he knew it. He just said it to me because he wanted to be mean and knew I wouldn't say anything back. He was always barking orders at people and just an overall abrasive personality.

Always remember he was sweet as pie to the store manager. Jerk to everyone else of course.

• Advertisement

Ex wife used to go for the jugular with the comments

"How's your heart attack dad?"

At least you don't need to take it personally. It wasn't just you she did it to! Didn't the parents realise that all of the toys were broken?

I don't know if that's made up but if isn't, then isn't it a bit petty?

Oh right. I'm probably not the only person who didn't know what you were talking about then!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A few days after I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis someone who is practically an in-law told me I should move in to a bungalow. Not what I wanted to hear at the time and I still don't live in a bungalow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭yagan

I could cite the family dynamic stuff but we were a big family in a small house so as adults we were all able to draw a line under childhood stuff. But the remark that still cuts to this day was this teacher in primary school who told us that anyone who can't speak Irish isn't really Irish. Our parents worked really hard to raise but didn't have Irish yet they were getting taxed to pay for this munt to tell their children that they weren't really Irish.

That one remark actually shut me down in his class for the rest of the year and my interest in irish, which previously I'd really enjoyed totally evaporated. I've tried to rekindle Irish after I finished school but whenever I encountered that same mentally towards nation and language my repulsion is triggered again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...some teachers really shouldnt be so, theyre the last people you d want near kids, preparing them for adulthood, and some are just absolute arseholes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭pgj2015

not sure. I never pay attention to someone like that. its their problem not mine.

• Advertisement

It is their fault they never taught her how to cook. What is it with women these days and a lack of basic culinary skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

And would your wife never correct them after they thanked her?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'she has told them countless times', from the text you quoted.

Oh I thought of that as her having told them countless times that she didn't cook.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Far too many to mention...

I was very badly bullied in school, from 1st to 3rd year secondary. The taunts were horrendous but the teachers did absolutely nothing. Only stopped after I was hospitalised after being set on and my parents threatened to sue the school and take it public. That was the very late 1980s.

Being told by some local kids that as my family are Nordies I was a West Brit and should be shot - and all my family - by the IRA. This was 1980s middle class suburban Dublin. There may have been visible money - but some of the families on my leafy street where these feral kids that taunted me harked from were pure and utter scumbags.

Countless homophobic crap from idiots around the time I came out in the late 1990s. Some of it incredibly nasty and two people who said homophobic things to me have since apologised.

Being told by someone from my professional past that they did not believe me about the horrendous workplace bullying I endured, that I must have brought it on myself, and that they wanted nothing to do with me going forward as I was a “complete loser.”

You see, many horrible people may be all false, sweet and polite in certain company, but show their true colours when they are willing or pushed to do so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Like Brid said, I assumed that the she told her parents countless times that she doesn't do any cooking. But what I'm asking is, when all 4 of them are sat at the table and the parents thank their daughter for the food, would she not say back to them something along the lines of "Don't thank me, I didn't do any of this. You should thank [Barney] for cooking all this".

Yeah, or maybe even "don't thank me I didn't do any of this as you bloody well know"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I think anybody who has ever had a part time job as a teenager encountered a cretin of a boss like this. Can you imagine being a fully grown adult trying to undermine the already fragile confidence of a teenager? Speaks volumes for the kind of person he is. You can be sure that he’s still in that stockroom, whilst you have moved on to far better things.

My hurtful thing was trivial, but has always stuck with me. I’m from a very working class family with five children. My parents hadn’t two cents to rub together, but were both hugely into education and pushed us all to do well. I was flying it in the year of my leaving cert. One day in class, the guy sitting behind me kept kicking the back of legs just to annoy me. Now he was the son of a local business owner and was loaded by the standard of the times (late ‘90s). Anyway, I started kicking him back to get him to piss off. He then said to me something like ‘take your cheap, poverty-stricken shoes off my expensive runners, you filthy knacker’. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I felt like I had been punched in the stomach and almost started welling up, which is highly unusual for me. That comment has stuck with me to this very day.

In a way, it’s been a real motivator for me. Seeing his hateful face, spurred me on even further to do well in life and get to where I am today. Very trivial I know compared to some of the awful tales here, but really indicative of the c***s some teenagers can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'll be honest, she still is. And really knows how to show a fella a good time.

But so batsh1t crazy that I wouldn't go near her if she was the last woman on earth. I refused it multiple times from her after we split and I'm really not the type to refuse a free hit from anyone (assuming I'm not attached).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was a very fat kid and the other lads in school always made sure I knew it by saying it in front of everyone, it went on for years but looking back on it the comments made me change my eating habits and exercise more long before the majority of people did those things.

Advertisement