Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But they can still ask for clarifications and clarifications of the clarifications, just like the WA

• Registered Users Posts: 26,356 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This analysis assumes that Johnson's problems stem from other people challenging him for the leadership so that, if he can neutralise the challenger, he'll be safe.

This may be what Johnson thinks, but it's a mistake. Johnson's problem isn't that other people are seeking to take his place. Johnson's problem is that he is crap at his job. It's only because he's crap at his job that people who themselves are no great shakes, like Truss, are seen as plausible challengers.

Johnson can bury Truss at a crossroads with a stake through her heart and he'll still be crap at his job. And the Tory party will still have plenty of people who are no great shakes themselves who will seek to take his place.

Johnson's net disapproval rating is 48%. He even has a net disapproval rating among Tory voters - which is to say, most Tory voters think he's a crap leader. The Brexit magic is gone, and it's not coming back. Seriously, his problem is not that Truss is getting uppity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I actually dreamt that Her Majesty The Queen herself will swing the axe that beheads Boris in February 2022 at the Tower Of London.

The public execution will be televised globally on all major networks. Coldplay will be the main music act.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You OK, hun?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

In fairness, what politician doesn't act by the same metric?

The idea that Boris Johnson is some exception to the rule is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Boris might be toast, but the Conservative government is not toast.

All this stuff about wallpaper, breaking Covid rules, odd speeches referencing to Peppa Pig, has noting to do with why some sections of his party want to get rid of him.

It's more his stance on climate change, not doing anything to reduce the numbers of immigrants crossing the channel, and all that right wing stuff. In other words, he's not right wing enough on these issues.

The funny thing is Labour don't really want him gone. Because if he is ousted with someone who comes across more serious a politician, they will loose their primary angle of attack, which is "Boris the buffoon".

Whatever happens I think Labour are screwed for the foreseeable future. They are a total mess, don't have a coherent message, and all their top shadow MP's have no gravitas about them at all. Even Dominic Raab comes across more competent than that Angela Rayner. Pick the least worst kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭farmerval

I think the problem is, Boris having been brought to power by the hard right in the current Tory party, they now seem to have a veto on all policy.

The bigger issue is they are out of step with the electorate. As more issues from Brexit affect voters on the ground it's looking like less and less of a good idea. The ERG wing have ruled out further covid restrictions rendering Boris a leader in name only. In a time of crises the leader disappears. While this plays well with many in the Parliamentary party it will leak support with the wider public. Who wants a leader that cannot lead? Not alone can Boris not introduce extra covid restrictions he is left looking completely impotent. He's exactly where Theresa May ended, with his help ironically.

The big issue for Labour will be to introduce a conversation around coalition with the Lib Dems, go on a policy of a joint approach of together we can prevent a Tory majority. The Lib Dems can hurt the Tories in areas that Labour cannot. Finding a way to make that happen is the big issue.

The bigger issue is they are out of step with the electorate. As more issues from Brexit affect voters on the ground it's looking like less and less of a good idea 

No I don't think this is right. There isn't some Brexiteers suddenly thinking they were wrong so soon. They want to see this play out for years before they will be proved wrong.

For some people the ending of freedom of movement will always be a positive, despite economic decline as a result.

And I kinda get the preservation of British culture as an argument for a multicultural European one. Some people thing it's important, some don't and some want to destroy it. Some people think multiculturalism is the way to go. I don't get it myself, it seems to cause more problems than it's worth. I really don't see the overall benefit in a societal sense.

Time will tell if Brexit was a wrong move, but it's going to take a lot of time before there is consensuses on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ahwell

A politicians chief concern is getting re-elected and Johnson is now a threat to that happening for a large number of Tory MP's. That's why he is "toast", it has nothing to do with climate change or people crossing the channel. The stories that broke through to the public were the Owen Paterson affair, quickly followed by the parties. That's why they tanked in the polls, but the hits are going to keep on coming because this government has been too incompetent and too corrupt for them not to.

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@Ahwell A politicians chief concern is getting re-elected

That's the problem with politics these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you think Labour are screwed now wait until the Scots get independence. Because that's 50+ anti Tory MPs gone forever. Handing over Scotland would keep the Tories in control in the rest of the UK for another generation unless they get rid of FPTP.

Until the DUP implosion the Lib Dems were on course to being the fifth party in a two party system. All of the unionists are a comparable bloc and can bought or threatened (UI ?) more easily.

What wouldn't Boris sacrifice to stay in power ? More importantly given the UK's lack of a written constitution what could he do to cling to power ?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭farmerval

It's not what seats the Lib Dems could win, more what seats they can deny the Tories, in true blue seats they would be the most likely recipients for middle of the road Tory supporters. I am assuming that not all Tory supporters have moved to being National Front supporters. The base support for a "broad church" Tory party surely hasn't completely disappeared.

Loads of Tory supporters will not vote Labour.

Right now, the ERG or whatever three letter acronym they're using are making Boris look like a weak useless leader. He couldn't make any appearances over Xmas because he knew he couldn't talk about extra Covid measures because his own party won't back him.

If it turns out no further restrictions was the right move, he will be even more powerless, the fanatics will dictate all policy. Forget any new meaningful green policies, Net Zero will not be on any agenda, already the right and the Tory press are declaring that NET Zero will cost too much.

Possibly I am Naïve but I don't believe that all Tory supporters want to see migrants drowning in the Channel. I think right now the lunatics are running the asylum. I hope the electorate will react accordingly.

Okay, I'm only giving my read on this, I'm not taking sides particularly. I've no skin in the game here.

Personally despite all the controversies I don't feel Boris is as badly damaged as the media makes out. Of course there are some quite vocal within the Tory's who are worried about 'the bad look' of what's gone on recently, but I just don't sense that has filtered down down to the general public and I still think Boris is a draw. I can't but help think if they get rid of him the Tory's might very well go into decline like they did when they ousted Maggie no matter who replaces him.

I think Boris's biggest problem is management of Covid. It's just one of those thinks where you can't win no matter what you do.

I totally agree the way Boris managed the Patterson affair was bad. But I think he just managed it very badly rather than we're seeing all out corruption here. I think Majors government was much worse in that department not that that was Majors fault either.

As far as Brexit is concerned, I think Boris has a duty to be change for the next few years as it pans out and I think his government have a duty to keep him in since the were so gung ho behind him on this from the beginning. It's what the public expected that gave him the majority he was.

If you think Labour are screwed now wait until the Scots get independence. Because that's 50+ anti Tory MPs gone forever. Handing over Scotland would keep the Tories in control in the rest of the UK for another generation unless they get rid of FPTP.

I never thought of that, but the Tory's are vehemently anti Scottish independence. I don't sense it's going to happen anyway myself. There's a lot of bluster about this but I think that's all it is. It not like you have people marching in the streets demanding Independence which you'd expect to see if there was a possibility of that actually happening.

As far as FPTP is concerned, you have to accept there are people who think it's the best system and they don't agree with PR. I don't either because it gets tiny parties into government potentially and I don't think that's right either. Maybe there is some compromise on this but haven't heard one suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭O'Neill

Post edited by O'Neill on

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So to sum it up, he is doing a terrible job but bless him, he's doing his best!

Everything he touches turn to crap, he hasn't delivered on anything. The rebellion was the ERG telling him to get back in his box, and Frost resignation is the starting pistol for the heave.

Frost didn't do that on a whim.

Net zero is dead, levelling up is dead. The chancellor has already refused them. Covid is out of control.

No matter what happens Johnson loses. Deaths go up and NHS overwhelmed, why did he not take action sooner? It all calms down, the rebels were right and Johnson loses any remaining credibility he retains.

Even Brexit, his big thing, is now out of his hands. If a new arrangement is made, Truss will get all the plaudits, continues to cause issues, well it was Johnson that agreed the deal.

Every direction he looks he has no options. He is now there at the leisure of the ERG.

A leader of nothing.

So to sum it up, he is doing a terrible job but bless him, he's doing his best!

I never put it like that. Some old biddy was interviewed on either BBC or Sky and said 'he's doing this best' (in relation to Covid) which went viral and has been used ever since by people who despise Boris as if that's the attitude everyone has who voted for him. It's wearing a bit thin at this stage. Personally I think it's bit nasty to use that 90 year old's comment as a weapon.

I don't think cancelling Cheltenham (remember that) would have made much difference overall. So all this taking action sooner is not one I personally think was a catastrophic error. Boris's policy on restrictions are clearly to make them as light as possible and for people like me who aren't obese or in a high risk category then why wouldn't one legitimately agree with that policy. I'm a single guy myself and my social life has been screwed with restrictions when the restriction aren't there to protect me at all. I'm not obese or overweight and that's no accident, I work at it. So what do I get for my personal responsibility. Nothing. As locked down as everyone else. The UK's obesity levels have risen since Covid, stats released recently. So all those people who scoff at people who want more freedoms, admonition those for not taking a vaccine when they don't need it, haven't done a single thing themselves to take personal responsibly for overloading the national health service with their underlying conditions, like that piggy Piers Morgan and Andrew Neil. At least Boris admitted he was in trouble for being 'too fat'. His words.

If there is anything I would admonish the Tory government for is for doing nothing to combat the UK's obesity problem. Well it's a bit late now and it's not like Labour ever touched it ether. That's what gets me about all the focus on Climate change, if you can't fix the obesity problem then I don't see how you can expect to get everyone to 'do their bit' for climate change when we can't even get them to do anything for their own personal health, that results in overloading the health services, which is why it can't cope, and we get lockdowns to protect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Public health is only as strong as it’s weakest link. The fact that you are not obese ( congratulations btw) is immaterial. If you want a life of no restrictions in the midst of a pandemic then find a desert island. If you want to live in the populated world and enjoy the amenities thereof then restrictions are the reality.

Remember as well you will be old someday yourself through no fault of your own. Age is the biggest factor in this pandemic. They did not vaccinate the obese first.

In a pandemic, timing is everything. Ditching several COBRA meetings to go skiing, permitting major sporting events like Cheltenham and Liverpool v Athletico Madrid to go ahead and boasting about shaking hands with covid patients was just cowardice and demagoguery. The man has never done a day's work in his life and seems only interested in producing illegitimate children. The man hasn't a single real achievement to his name. Even winning big in 2019 was only possible because of a splintered Labour vote and the worst opposition leader for decades. All he's done is the bare minimum when forced to do so by necessity, stoke culture wars and foster corruption. Easily the worst prime minister since I moved here.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I saw something interesting on Google that I suggests he's toast. A song called Boris Jonston is a c@nt is riding pretty high in the uk charts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That song was there this time last year too, but unfortunately wasn't a harbinger of his doom then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah, he's done. If not now then within months. This hasn't gone away, it's just been festering. The tumour needs cutting out at this stage before it infects the rest of the party.

H. H. Asquith

You said this before, and the story went away.

The same will happen this time. Boris has a way of shrugging these stories off his back. The media and Labour will have a field day and, in a couple of days from now, something else will take over and the story will be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is the same story; just a different incident of it. That is the exact opposite of "the story went away" - its the story continuing to grow and going absolutely nowhere.

Advertisement