Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 21 Saudia Arabia GP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Could happen when being lapped or even in qualifying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This. A million times - thank you, thank you thank you for writing it.

I'm frankly not enjoying this season at all; For all the drama, accusations shenanigans there's actually very very little proper racing action on track. I've been an avid F1 fan for 35 years or so and as such I've witnessed some epic rivalries - Prost/Senna being the obviously outstanding one. These guys really went at it and yet, if you check the history over a bunch of seasons, they really only had two huge "flashpoints" - Suzuka in 1989 and 1990.

This season, the action on track is actually VERY poor - how many "wheel to wheel battles" have we seen at the front? Pretty much zero - each time, it's more about avoiding a crash than anything else.

Finally, the amount of pointless hatred and vitriol towards Hamilton plus all the "conspiracy theories" are downright idiotic and childish. There's the "champion being taken down" narrative, sure, I've seen it happen with Schumacher at the end of the Ferrari domination but damn, what we see towards Hamilton is reaching another level entirely. Let's be honest, he's not likeable: be it political shenanigans, the "new celebrity best friend every week", the whole virtue signaling, there's a lot about the guy that irks people the wrong way but come on...the sheer level of bile is straight out inexcusable. I guess he's also "guilty of being British" in the eyes of many, plus the internet allows people to show their true colours without a filter.

Now, my expectation is that Verstappen will try to cause a crash in Abu Dhabi, likely succeed and take the title to the joy of most here who don't give a damn about actual racing, F1 or sports and just want to see Hamilton lose, but come on guys...if that's the reason to follow something, try getting a healthier hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You bemoan conspiracy theories about Hamilton and yet in the same post you theorise that Verstappen will crash Hamilton out of it in the next race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The 1997 points stripping of Schumacher, regardless of where Schumacher ended that particular season, was done as a warning that unsportsmanship to defend a championship lead would not be tolerated. The precedence is there and you can be sure Max and Lewis will be reminded of this at the Abu Dhabi race drivers meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

His track record over the last few of races isn’t exactly going in his favour.

Monza, Sao Paolo, Jeddah. All races he either caused a crash with Hamilton or forced him off the track through idiotic moves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not to mention that Hamilton has his own little conspiracy whinge only yesterday during the stoppage

Silverstone and Hungary races where Max got torpedoed by Mercedes with huge implications for the Championship. Jeddah yesterday Hamilton forced Max off the track also at the last corner to the point Masi was threatening him with a black and white flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I have no love of Merc or Hamilton at all - mainly as I never really like seeing any one team / person dominate a sport. Hamilton's personality also grinds on me .. but that is really my personality.

Earlier on in the season I was rooting for RedBull and Verstappen .. purely based on wanting someone else to win it .. however the last few races have flipped that on it's head for me.

Hamilton is clearly the better driver; his way of managing tires and his consistency means he really deserves this years title.

However - this nonsense of giving a place back but taking advantage of DRS is a problem within the sport .. DRS isn't doing what I think it should do and in reality it creates overtakes on the straights when the real racing should be at the braking point, apex and exit .. not just a slipstream and additional top speed on the straight.

Both drivers were at fault - rather than a simple swap of places it was all tactical and Hamilton nearly ruined his race and his championship - and the tactics were down to taking advantage of DRS.

Is there any precedence for a driver hitting the anchors when giving back a place rather than just moving off the racing line and lifting off ?

I think red bull know the game is up at this stage and next week should be a handy run for Merc and Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

That is an expectation - completely in line with Verstappen's way of carrying himself on track during the entirety of his career. If he always went "you give up or we crash" into every single overtaking maneuver it wouldn't make any sense for him to change approach now, when it would actually benefit him the most. It's just looking at a situation, precedent and the character of the competitors and making an educated guess.

A far cry from "the FIA/Masi/The Illuminati/the aliens will make it so that X wins".

The one big factor is the "Schumacher rule" - I'm sure the FIA will try to hammer it into both guy's heads, but it remains to be seen how successful they'll be at it.

• Advertisement

It was hard to listen to Hamilton and Mercedes whinging about the red flag when they themselves have benefitted massively from red flag rules on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Can't help but wonder if Max had an issue and was not letting him pass, hypothetically speaking, would Lewis still have ran in to the back of him, seems very strange with all the s[ace and a car going slower not to pass!

this is part of the reason for a lot of the hate on Hamilton and Merc ... they are tactically the best team on the grid but when they get a sense that they are getting it wrong they use the public airwaves to whinge and moan about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

I have to say I've actually enjoyed most of this season. Some tracks have been dominated by Mercs, some by RB, and while you're correct in that there hasn't been a massive amount of wheel to wheel racing there still has been some intriguing battles.

Paul Ricard stands out as a highlight of the season for me. Everyone expecting a borefest but 2 really evenly matched cars with strategy being crucial, and was decided right at the end too. Maybe it's a highlight for me because that's the race that I believed we had a title fight on.

The season took a nosedive for me in Brazil. Hamilton's new engine getting huge power boost killed any potential intrigue coming into the last few races. So instead of any sort of cat and mouse battle, it turned into Max and RB trying desperately to do whatever they can to get themselves any sort of a foothold against that raw speed. And I get that doing that may come off as reckless. But the hyperbole about Max is nearly as bad as the stuff about Hamilton. He's an excellent, aggressive driver but he's not out to kill anyone. He's probably looked more on the edge now as there's a bit of desperation as the titles has looked Hamiltons to lose for a while.

And while I think Silverstone will always bother me(and no I haven't forgotten about Monza!), no better man then Hamilton in this situation. He was given an inch and has taken a mile, has been pretty much perfect since Brazil. Might not like the guy but you have to respect his talent.

I would hope as well that anyone who's not a Max fan would have that apply to him too. You may not like him, he's definitely raw but he's the reason this season has stood out.

I was hoping that RB would win this title, I've been really impressed with theres and Hondas dedication to getting a car together when it would be so easy to just concentrate on next year. But it looks like it's not to be. It's a shame, but it's sport, the best don't always win.

So whatever happens next weekend I just hope it's decided on track. I had previously been of the opinion that a DNF for Lewis would be a kind of course correction for the season but in reality it would be massively more controversial now. Also it may cause some people to completely descend into madness!

So let's hope for a cracking race where we're not spending pages and pages trying to get inside the head of an FIA steward!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I still haven't seen one good reason from anybody to explain why Hamilton would want to crash into the back of Verstappen. It is nothing but bad for him, why on earth would he do it?

I think its pretty obvious that he considers Max an erratic driver and so got himself caught in ten minds because he didn't know what the hell Max was up to. Add in the the fact that Max was indeed acting erratically and so while it was Hamiltons own fault, I can see why it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

You just ruined your entire post with "wanting to see racing" which hasn't happened in the Hybrid era thanks to Merc running their engines at about 70% and still coasting home and then that nonsense about crashing deliberately to top it off.

Credibility in the bin.

The only thing that's expected is all the Hamilton fan boys are just going to ignore what Russel did in the Merc and still claim its all Hamilton getting the extremes out of a car slower than the RB for the last four races after luck, DNFs and damage caused by Mercs kept Hamilton in the game this long. Complete fantasy land stuff.

It's pretty obvious Hamilton made a terrible error in crashing into Max. The FIA covered up for him by acknowledging that while he could have avoided the crash altogether he decided not to because of the DRS line and that's ok by the FIA. A nonsense rationale by the FIA stewards but I guess they had to come up with something. Sets dangerous precedent - you don't give the place back you get a penalty, but then you try to give the place back and the other guy behind makes an awful error but you get penalised anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Something I found hugely disappointing yesterday, there was a period midrace where it was just Verstappen and Hamilton alone on the track, no other cars in sight, Hamilton hovering around the DRS range but not quite getting close enough. It was set up nicely for the 2 of them to go head to head and have an actual showdown between the two best drivers.

Nope. Another **** safety car. Another red flag.

Such a balls of a circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The precedent re Schumacher losing his points is there but that was such a blatant attempt that it left no option. It also came after Schumacher previously walked away with championship after taking hill out.

If max and lewis get tangled up at first corner and both go out, they would have to prove max did something more than brake late.

Legal challenge from either team guaranteed.

Personally, I think it could happen and will make a very difficult decision for the stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

And by Hamiltons own standards if you put someone off the riad its wrong that you are allowed to finish ahead of them. Didn't seem seem bother him at silverstone mind

• Advertisement

I've lost respect for Mercedes this year. Silverstone and Hungary. Moaning to change the rules to stop Red Bulls fast pit stops. Introducing a spicy engine against the spirit of the sport. Slowing Max down during the safety car yesterday and then driving miles behind to the grid so Max's tires would cool.

All this while they have the fastest car anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So how do you explain Hamilton fluting around on the racing line in FP3 nearly amusing a collision. That's every bit as erratic as anything Max did yestedsay

And why are the two penalties applied completely different. One punishment is against a team yet they weren't the ones driving the car in a dangerous manner, the other against a driver

Irs Crystal clear since Silverstone when Toto was emailing the race director basically telling him he isnt to punishment Hamilton what is going on. The sport is a joke at this stage.

Formation laps etc need to be controlled like pit limiters as do safety car etc to avoid the BS but it's fair game while Mercs do it

Anyway Max Into Hamilton turn 1 on Sunday and Sainz to win would do

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

What a race it was for the neutrals,loved it!!

And the anti Hamilton faction continues to bring a laugh from reading this thread now!

Some of you have to be trolling because theres some brain-dead sh1t being posted,except for the one or two that I'm now convinced have been hit by a Merc on the road a few times 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's another factor that I didn't like this season. The story that Sky Sports were literally trying to sell us. And it's not the perceived bias one way or the other, it's the constant toing and froing between Christian and Toto, he said, she said etc. Now to be fair all the F1 media are guilty of this, right down to Tom Clarkson in the press conferences. It struck me as we were remembering Frank Williams, you never had ITV saying Flavio Briatore this and Jean Todt that and Ron Dennis this and Stefano Dominicalli that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

I wouldn't even blame Toto or Christian (to an extent). I'm sure Frank, Flavio, Jean et all spoke the same ways about each other but didn't have microphones and cameras stuck in their faces every few seconds.

Literally anything happens on track and you can expect a camera zooming in on one of the two. (Not saying they don't love being a form of F1 celebrity themselves at this stage)

Same goes for radio communications, they were always there, with Charlie and before but we just weren't given them. The likes of Masi is probably speaking on his headset 90% of the race but we only hear a 'sexy' few seconds of what was said, just enough to add drama.

The new access to the sport has been a blessing and a curse in it's various guises

Say what you like about Sky - but the reality is they are masters at bringing sports in to the main stream. no matter what sport they get behind they make it more accessible to the public and especially those who only dip in and out. There is constant F1 on the TC (if you have sky sports) ... unprecedented analysis and context to everything. They have done the same with Darts, premier league football, Rugby etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It was only done because MSC finished second, and there was a big outcry about his driving. Nothing would have happened if he had won, just like nothing happened in 1994. But because he finished second he could get a BS non-punishment and it would make no difference. Nobody at the time though it was a severe punishment, it was rightly considered a joke.

Precedent is very clear - win the title, and you keep it. Fail and you get some bs "punishment" that no one cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

He did but the track has changed this year they said.

Not sure if it will make much of a difference.

• Advertisement

Horner and Wolff absolutely love every second of it. They are only too eager to stick themselves in front of a microphone to slag off and wind up the other team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement