Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 21 Saudia Arabia GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion. If I had to guess, Lewis probably thought that Max was being clever by letting him get the line first so Max could get the tow and re-overtake him. The ruling from the stewards explains it really clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

I expect the next race to be the most boring race ever as no drivers will be wanting to overtake anybody.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

What I'm picking up is, Lewis wouldn't pass Max because he thought Max was only letting him by (for no reason at all) just so that Max could then pass him back again using DRS just for sh1ts and giggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

To what end would Max just decide to give up a position? There’d be no guarantee he’d get it back with DRS. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The stewards rationale is bonkers but that's the FIA for you. Anyway Hamilton will win next week with the Mercedes rocketship and two huge DRS straights in Abu Dhabi, it'll be fairly easy for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Charlie whiting was missed today. No way would he have allowed this mess in terms of communication which we heard at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Verstappen placed his car in the middle of the (narrow) track. That was deliberate on his part. Watching on TV I thought there's not enough room for Hamilton to pass safely on either side. In slight mitigation of Lewis it must be difficult for any driver to judge at what speed a car directly in front is travelling. Look at the numerous near misses that occur during qualifying sessions between those on hot laps and those on out laps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes but apparently lewis didn't know be was allowed pass because Merc hadn't told him, so which one is it? Because if he thought he was being allowed pass then surely he knew and Merc are lying about knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Today left a bad taste in my mouth.

I want/ed Verstappen to win the championship but no one should ever benefit like he did from a red flag. With red flags and safety cars ever more present, they badly need to do something to mitigate the side effects.

Hamilton, as usual, prickish on the formation lap, which may have given him advantage over Verstappen at the restart. But…

Verstappen’s driving was deplorable. I thought he had matured from his bumper car days but evidently not when he can’t win fairly. It was only because of his outrageous lunge at the first restart that Hamilton was behind Ocon at the second restart, which created the circumstances to allow Verstappen to dive down the inside. So even though Verstappen gave up the place he still benefited from his recklessness.

Giving back a place in such a way as to benefit from DRS should be straight up outlawed. If nothing else, it’s against the spirit of the sport.

The Hamilton-Verstappen contact is complicated because both are at fault on at least two points. Verstappen should not have been drifting into the centre of the track, should not have been trying to benefit from DRS and should not have braked suddenly with a car so close behind him. Hamilton should not have refused to pass and should not have driven so close behind a slow-moving car. There’s enough there to warrant giving both of them a penalty.

And after all that drama, Verstappen’s tire def would have meant Hamilton would have cruised* past Hamilton in a few more laps.

*barring any Verstappen shenanigans, of course

Michael Masi is an awful representative for the sport. Clearly he’s technically out of his depth (saying Verstappen need give back only one place before the restart was a bad blunder) and his tone and manner are obnoxious.

As for the track, I think I like it, albeit with reservations about safety. Lots of people online allowing their dislike of Saudi Arabia to colour their judgement of the track. The majority of incidents could be expected of any street circuit.

I come away no longer really caring who wins. I hope F1 can sort itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That's what I'm thinking. Abu Dhabi is now the greatest show on earth.

• Advertisement

100%, the bargaining with RedBull was so strange, what if RedBull didn't accept what was offered, what would have happened then. It was so strange to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

In slight mitigation of Lewis it must be difficult for any driver to judge at what speed a car directly in front is travelling

Except for the part where he perfectly slowed down and tailgated Max exactly? https://youtu.be/QS4Z38HhsMc?t=53

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Scrap DRS. Bad solution that impedes defensive racing and favours the following car massively.

Allowed pass? Its a race, if a car in front is slower, surely they don't need permission to pass?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It would've went to the stewards and he'd have gotten a 5 second penalty more than likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah come on, the track isn't narrow at that point. You could drive 2 double deckers up the inside but Hamilton choose not to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I phrased it badly. Lewis apparently didn't know max had to give up position. So if he didn't know this, he surely isn't thinking that he's slowing to try an overtake right after. If lewis knew max had to give up position, then fair enough he doesn't want to do it there, but they said they didn't, so why wouldn't he just overtake because they would assume any other car slowing down has an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

Coming next year. 2022 new rule.

Hazard lights and indicators.

So drivers are aware of others intentions.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I think this kind of bargaining was going on for years in F1, its only being broadcast now. It's interesting to hear what's going on in the background.

I think it would have gone to the stewards to decide on if a punishment is due, and if so, what that is if the teams didn't accept. I'm not entirely sure, but I think Mercedes and Alpine also had to accept the switcheroo

Yeah but should it not have been a "Max is being moved to X because he done Y", asking would they accept it sounded so strange. Or...incident with car 44 and car 33 is being investigated and the result is car 33 drops one place.

• Advertisement

The banter in here has been great for this race, next week is going to be exciting for everyone at least. Qualy possibly being the absolute most important part of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

So to summarise the events of this race:

Hamilton ignores a double waved yellow and is unpunished because the yellow flag was a “mistake” which might make sense as a mitigating circumstance if not for the hefty penalty Verstappen received at the previous race when a rogue Marshall stuck a flag out when there was no actual caution, costing him any opportunity to race for the win there.

Hamilton also nearly causes a massive collision with Mazepin with his dangerous driving, but only gets a reprimand and a fine.

On the first safety car Bottas cheats on behalf of Hamilton to illegally build a gap to allow Lewis a cheap pit stop, this is blatantly against the rules and goes unpunished.

Red Bull focus their attention on strategising rather than finding creative ways to cheat and make a clever tactical decision to stay out given that the barrier would likely need repair, getting first place.

On the our lap for the restart Hamilton blatantly and deliberately cheats by not following the car in front and gaining himself a huge advantage with warm tyres on the restart.

On the restart the telemetry graphics show a quicker reaction time for Max but the warmer tyres Lewis has thanks to his unsportsmanship allows him to get alongside and push Max off at turn one, Max is left with nowhere to go as if he brakes any earlier Bottas hits the back of him and if he turns in any harder Lewis hits him, so he is forced off but manages to get back on track and back into first while Ocon also gets Hamilton too out of turn two. Bottas also goes off at turn one as many others have done, and the precedent is always that you’re allowed to race when pushed off like that on the first lap. However, ignoring precedent, the FIA tell Red Bull they have to give away two places and jump back to third.

Undaunted, they accept this, and Max makes a beautiful restart getting from third to first cleanly while Lewis is busy hitting Ocon.

They then get into a rhythm for most of the race where Max builds up a gap in sector one and Lewis closes back down on the main straight with his fresher more powerful engine but due to Verstappen’s speed in the first part of the lap Lewis can never get close enough to make a move.

However, a miraculously timed Virtual Safety Car in the final third of the race forces them to run at the same speed through the first sector then gives a green light just before the big straight, giving Lewis his best chance of the race to get a run into turn one. Both cars brake late and both cars go off track and both come out of the corner in the same order they went in, but Max is told to hand the place over to Lewis.

He duly complies and slows down but Lewis in a massive feat of stupidity runs into the back of Verstappen, cutting his rear tyre as Red Bull later revealed. Lewis slows right down after the incident and Max pulls away, but he’s asked to give the place back again and has to slow right down again to let Lewis catch up.

After letting Lewis past on the second attempt, he then completely outsmarts him and pulls off an overtake to get into the lead again. However this time, despite the fact he gave Lewis the position twice, he’s additionally given a five second penalty.

At this point the race is effectively over, with Max left to nurse his car home with the damage Lewis had inflicted running into the back of him. And all the shenanigans trying to let Lewis past, in addition to the five second penalty, means Ocon has closed up and Max can’t pit to get rid of the damaged tyres as there is no longer space, so he’s left to take second and can’t go for fastest lap either.

Unsurprisingly, the fans comfortably vote Verstappen as driver of the day and those at the track boo Lewis for another dishonestly stolen win post race.

Then a couple of hours after the race, just for a laugh, the stewards slap another penalty on Verstappen for the fact that Lewis ran into the back of him

You couldn’t make it up, so many utterly and totally inexplicable decisions at every point that it’s hard to contemplate as anything other than pure race fixing, looking like they’re deciding the championship outcome in race control rather on track.

Post edited by quokula on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep the "excuses" trying to justify Hamilton wouldn't really be acceptable driving for a rookie F3 driver. Let alone a veteran f1 world champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nah. This thread is toxic, 3 or 4 posters who hate Hamilton constantly stinking the place up with stupid irrational diatribes.

But next week should be good, I just hope it gets won or lost by the two of them racing, and not something inane like safety cars being the difference or some other driver taking them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Euro news saying Hamilton.

Lewis Hamilton admits there were times during his superb win at the inaugural Saudi Arabian grand prix when he feared he would be put out of the race by his f****** crazy title rival Max Verstappen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Jeff2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Pity sky wont get rid of lazenby and hill and get you trackside next weekend😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, that race had it all.

I was all over the kip and with a hangover as well.

FOr all the "Senna-esque" comparisons that have been made for Hamilton, he was very much like Prost today and moaned enough on the radio. Max was more like Senna than anything. Thought the ramming into the back was all very stupid, he had all that space, but picks the one occupied by Max...que the outrage and pantomime. All very tiring at this stage in the season.

I personally hope Max keeps it going for AD, he needs to to have any shot at the win. RB seemed to have a bit of speed this weekend, just depends on if it carries over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think Hamilton will canter Abu Dhabi unfortunately and it will be a bit of a lacklustre finale after such an action packed season.

I think yesterday was a bit of a black mark on the season, for all the money and resources they have they build a track from scratch that's a danger essentially. FIA all over the place too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement