Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Options

Comments

"The best thing is... we made it out alive!"

You survived the roaming gangs of savage violent youths? The hoards of the walking dead? The gang shootouts behind every corner?

I simply don't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bought some sparklers off a street trader, she gave the kids a box of snappits each for free and told me to have a "happy halloween chicken"

The mean streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I was in the city before 6am and there was these characters going round cleaning the streets , the nerve of them in their little road sweeper vans cleaning footpaths and gathering up rubbish.

I didn't get killed either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have the name of a good trauma counsellor If you need one!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

The above posts describe the experience for 99.9% of people in DCC on a daily basis.

Extra policing probably down to Halloween I'd say.

The original message describing areas as 'no go', which many people appear to agree with, is possibly born out of something other than a desire to see parts of the City improve through more effective management? There are a large number of people out there who would prefer the City this way (as outlined in previous post).

There is a lack of willingness, total incompetence or something else that means we keep going around and around, like the doors of the Criminal Courts.

In the mean time the 99.9% are just out in the city, including these 'no go' areas, going about their daily business and hopefully enjoying whatever it is they're out to do and see today. The same as every other village, town and City across Ireland.

Post edited by ALB2022 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Any chance of you actually quoting those "no go" posts?

So far the only person going on about no go areas is you which would suggest that your pulling the no go thing out of somewhere other than this thread.

Just look at the first message and / or Google 'boards no go Dublin'?

This is actually what it says in the very first post...

'The Luas is a no go on certain sections as are certain sections of the streets'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Walked the quays this morning at 5.45 on my way to work, gangs of youths huddled together, they were either plotting some sort of anarchy or trying to keep as warm as possible waiting for the first bus in last night's barely there costumes......

Definitely anarchy.

The one that sasy the "the Luas is a no go on certain sections"? Yeah. I can see why you werent keen on quoting it yourself 🤨

How about when you think you're responding to posts, you just quote them? It's a fairly simple system.

That way everyone can see that you're not just strawmanning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd certainly feel safer in Dublin than I would in San Francisco. Dublin has its problems but SF is a real sh1tshow with walking zombies everywhere.

Every city has it's problems. That defines what a city is, tbh. Millions of humans living in an urban environment is bound to have some issues. Dublin is far from the worst I've been to.

They were probably snorting heroin and making petrol bombs. Most of them were foreign as well, no doubt. Luckily no one asked you for a light or your whole day would have been destroyed

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Those Cork chungsters taking our jobs and wimmins (and fire)!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CaptainTeebs

The two Garda stations serving our city centre, Pearse and Store St, posted crime declines of 40 and 27% in 2021 vs 2019. And no, that is not mostly due to the near complete lack of nightlife in 2021, seeing as the perception is that Covid/ post Covid Dublin has gotten worse than before.

Dublin city centre is safer than it has been in years, likely due to the heavy (by international standards) Garda presence among other factors (stronger cannabis keeping many of the local schwars in their gaffs playing Playstation all day instead of wandering the streets drunk and starting trouble like their dads did in the 90s, and in many cases still do, possibly another factor)

I know this doesn't suit those of you who think it is like the Scorsese classic Taxi Driver from 10am onwards every day, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@CaptainTeebs

Dublin city centre is safer than it has been in years, likely due to the heavy (by international standards) Garda presence among other factors (stronger cannabis keeping many of the local schwars in their gaffs playing Playstation all day instead of wandering the streets drunk and starting trouble like their dads did in the 90s, and in many cases still do, possibly another factor)

By the sound of things they've really started to clean up the place since I left last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Things have gotten better since you left.........................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The variance across Dublin is huge and I think it's really magnified due to the overall small size of the city.

I lived in D1 for 6-7 years and saw my fair share of scumbags. Generally never really had any hassle from them but it's not something you want to be dealing with every day.

Moved over to D7 last year and don't really see any at all anymore. A few around Smithfield while walking through to get home but that's about it. It's gas how much it changes your perception of a city. I was even thinking 'wow, Dublin is really cleaning up it's act' - had to wander over to O'Connell Street recently and got a nice reminder of what I used to have to deal with on a daily basis.

In short, just stay away from the dodgy areas. Like any major city really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm not sure seeing addicts arguing with each other or them asking you for money makes an area dodgy though. Thousands of people pass through O'Connell St. every day with no hassle. The aesthetics of the place may not be pleasing to some but it's not dangerous.

I've been here for 15 years and never had any hassle from addicts, other than the odd frustrated one when you say you don't have change. But I feel too much empathy for them to see it as genuine aggressive behaviour. I would probably act the same way in their shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why should it not be “pleasing” dude.

Why should the premier street in the capital city be anything other than pleasing? In the main.

Why should any of the “thousands who pass through OCS “ every day be subject to hassle from a small minority of scrotes.

If the desire is there is should not be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

By 'dodgy' I'd just mean a high scumbag to regular person ratio, with an elevated chance of getting grief - mostly after hours.

The Abbey Street intersection on O'Connell Street would be one of those particular spots, I've had watch where I walk on quite a few occasions to try to avoid warring teenagers around there. Particularly on a Friday/Saturday night.

Still, I wouldn't find it 'dangerous' to the point where I'd be avoiding the street entirely because of it - just that it's not the most pleasant thing in the world to have to deal with and if you were to avoid it entirely, your 'vision' of Dublin would be a lot nicer.

But it isn't the premier street, it's a street full of bus stops and people passing through. It hasn't been a premier street in decades. The premier streets/area is around Grafton Street, an area most of us find quite pleasant.

There's a host of reasons why addiction is a problem in the North Inner City, they wont be resolved any time soon. I don't know anyone who is bothered by people when they go to the city centre, thousands of people are not being subjected to hassle. You're just making that up.

O'Connell Street is far from the premier street, whatever that means.

Maybe a half century ago. But the economic pendulum has swung south.

I agree it can be improved. But I’ve never considered O’Connell st the “premier” street in Dublin. That’s always been Grafton street.

they/them/theirs

You're the lad described Coolock as being a fine example of a grand neighborhood, I think its fair to say that your judgement on these matters is suspect.

It has been interesting to see people trying to dismiss criticisim of OCS on the basis that its not a No-go zone or it's not dangerous. or that the junkies are not agressive when they're hassling you for money...most of the time

Says a lot.

It's fine, I never had any problems in Coolock nor did anyone I know. It's not Sandymount but for what I paid for my house I'm delighted with it.

You ultra-conservative anti-everything types are always terrified of cities anyway, too many people you look down upon and in your words too many people of the wrong colour. If you're scared of the aggressive "junkies" or people asking you for money, I will chaperone you next time I'm home and I can guarantee you you'll be safe, if you feel you need protection when walking around Dublin.

Dubliners get the bus from O'Connell St or pass through it to get somewhere else. No one really cares if you might see the odd addict there. 1000s are on the street every day with no problems. Why everyone gets so obsessed with one street is beyond me. It was a main street 50 years ago, now it's just a traffic thoroughfare and not a destination for anyone.

There's not really any city you can go to where you might be asked for money or you might see some unfortunate down and outs. Where I'm living now is one of the trendiest parts of London but you go around the corner to Broadway Market which is heaving with trendy bars and restaurants, and there are homeless people and addicts hanging around there all the time. It doesn't mean it's a terrible area, people just get left behind in life and end up in these situations. Not all of us look down on them like you and your ilk do.

Nope, I'm saying criticise OCS all you like, no one really cares as no one goes there they just pass through it. The current state of that one street doesn't make Dublin a sh*tty city, which is the title of this thread.

• Advertisement

Life must be a truly terrifying experience for you.

Advertisement