Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CaptainTeebs

The cheapest former council houses in Dun Laoghaoire Rathdown start at 380k.

In most of North and West Dublin they average from 210 to 270K.

As for private builds, the types that go for 290 to 350 in North and West Dublin start at 500k in DLR. Exact same design, age, condition, only difference being the status of the address.

It's pretty much at a stage where a working class kid leaving school in DLR is best off not working if they want to live where they grew up- a job holding couple will not fall within the social housing threshold, and a couple wanting to buy would need about 120k per year to get a look in on even a basic ex council house.

Do you believe that working class people should entirely lose the right to live in the DLR council area?

In most cases they probably descend from a lineage that lived in the area long before the graduates from Cork and Mayo buying the fancy properties arrived. They laboured on the farms and fished on the trawlers. Why should economics dictate that these people should up sticks and head for Gorey and Arklow as so many have had to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This is happening in many countrys ordinary working class people cant afford to buy in the areas they grew up. The no of houses built is not keeping up with demand. The no of social houses being built is not line with the no of people on the housing list

We have a housing crisis. Our infrastructure is not designed to keep up with the rising population. I can see no solution. When it costs 300k to build one house for the council I cant see them going back to the days when they built large housing estates. I dont think many people have a plan ill do x and then Maybe ill get a house in 7 years time

Thats a very negative way to look at life

Circa 2017 it cost about 160k to use a non profit developer to build 3 bed terrace housing on council owned land in Ballymun.

Even with today's material cost rises you could probably do it for 210k.

Government simply doesn't want to which is why you see obscene price tags like 380k per home.

Again I reference Sydney, Australia.

Outside the main Central train station it's simply regarded as part of life that street people effectively live at the front doors. Addled from crystal meth, half dressed, throwing glass bottles at passers by and threatening them. Junkies passed out in fast food outlets. Police foot patrols on the street essentially don't exist, yet police routinely do walk throughs of pubs in the evening with sniffer dogs to try catch recreational drug users. They even sit in the bushes in parks and at beachsides trying to get a whiff of weed. Also regularly stand at train barriers on a Friday/ Saturday night trying to catch people hitting the town with recreational drugs on them, but leave the absolute nutters outside untouched. But the type of Garda walking or cycling about patrols you see 10 of every time you go into town here do not exist.

Funny thing is nobody really cares. The anti social state of Sydney isn't any sort of prominent political issue. Australian TV is too dumbed down to have any sort of version of Prime Time, their current affairs shows night after night after night focus on three issues- dodgy tradesmen, property scams and "hoons" (boy racers, basically)

I can't imagine anything remotely resembling it being tolerated here. I was in town yesterday and stopped counting once I'd spotted ten Gardai in two hours between Henry, OC Talbot and Parnell St. This idea that Dublin city centre is underpoliced is an absolute myth, blown to shreds by the 3000 plus arrests made in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Want to chat about homeless. Go to San Francisco. They're probably the most unenlightened citizens I've ever met(not the homeless).

Preachy feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Agree with most of what you're saying but can't agree that areas are sufficiently policed.

When you take the 450 people arrested in DCC around St Patricks day (and add the other days when the DCC population increases significantly) out of that figure, which isn't exactly mind blowing anyway, then 4 or 5 arrests per day suggests DCC has either a low crime rate (relatively speaking), which is completely at odds with the perception it's a 'no go' area, or its not being policed and managed appropriately.

Probably somewhere in between, leaning heavily towards a lack of management in areas, with the revolving door system enabling the rince and repeat approach.

Post edited by ALB2022 on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is there actually a perception that the city centre is a “no go area”? If there is that perception is completely at odds with reality. Dublin is packed with tourists, locals and people commuting for work everyday.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I ask again- where are the statistics that show Dublin city centre is a no go area?

The stats that show it has got worse than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago?

I remember my ma wouldn't leave her handbag on the front seat while driving in the 90s, as there was a concern (real or imagined, who knows now) that junkies were regularly smashing passenger windows with a hammer if they spotted a bag on the seat at red lights.

Remember every Burger King had blue lights in the jacks to deter junkies from shooting up in there? (the blue lights made it harder to see your veins for injecting).

There's no public toilets any more, they were all shut in the 80s and 90s because of the drug abuse and general anti social behavior emminating from them.

While what I'm about to say is city/ countrywide rather than the OCS area itself, our national/ city rates of car theft, gangland murder, murder in general, femicide in particular, teen heroin use, and probably a few other headline crimes, have all fallen off a cliff since the 90s into 2000s decades. Never mind per 100,000, the actual numerical number of offences has declined since then despite us having a 50% population rise since 1996. A significant cohort of the people causing trouble on OCS are well into their forties, as they are the people that became hooked on heroin as teenagers in the 90s. With few people born after say 1983 being added to their ranks, and many of the original addict generation from the early 80s having been wiped out by AIDS and other injecting related illnesses, logically there should today be less junkies wandering the streets of Dublin than there was in 2010, or 2000, or 1995.

It seems strange to me that as society has generally become safer the OCS area has become worse than it ever was.

I'm getting "this used to be fields" feeling.

Dublin isn't the best city in the world, but people are concentrating on a small part.

I've rarely had hassle. People asking for change or a smoke doesn't register as hassle. 99.999% of the time if they keep annoying you a simple "feck off" does the trick.

Jaysus.

There are Gardai permanently outside GPO from early morning to dusk.

There are Gardai constantly on bike and foot throughout the rest of Temple Bar, Henry, Grafton.

Cars on constant patrol.

As said I spotted at least 10 yesterday in pairs, so five different patrols.

How much more do people think is feasible? Every third person being a guard?

• Advertisement

This.

Look, they can and are absolute gobdaws to security and general shop staff, but the chances of a random member of the public having a violent or even particularly intimidating interaction with one of these people on the middle of OCS is staggeringly low. They really do tend to keep their screaming and physicality reserved to members of their own subculture over who owes who 1 euro (yes, a single euro) or who dipped whose hand in whose pocket when they were passed out with goodies on them.

they/them/theirs

I'd give you a million thanks solely for using the word "gobdaws".

Haven't heard it in ages!

An "incident" happened to me outside the lomard whilst having a smoke (having a real toastie) and the person threatened to get his mates after me because I wouldn't give him one.

Guess what, it was bollox. Surprise, surprise.

Tourists from NYC, Paris, Barcelona...are so not going to be used to this. Should be provided with plastic bubbles on entry. How will they ever survive dublin. Shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The reality is, that without strong policing, any public transport area is flypaper for antisocial types, O'Connell street, Amiens Street, all the same. You have very little gardai presence in the north inner city given the state of it, other than the odd one standing at the GPO like a decorative gome and about as much use.

I bumped into a friend on the quays where there are queues for private buses, within 2 minutes of chatting some foreign johnny manifesting behaviour that was far from normative had shambled up looking for a light, a few minutes later he had made an inept attempt to lift a womans backpack before shambling off

What this goon was doing in Ireland in anyones guess, no doubt on the tax payers tit in some form, but there you are, all within a 10 minute window.

One is reminded of when our local shopping centre was blessed with a visit from Mary Robinson back in the 90s, before her eminence showed up, the gardai swept through the place and left the usual tide of junkies were left in no doubt that their presence was not wanted that day. When they tried to drift back, they were unceremoniously shifted on, lest Mary get the wrong impression

The next day it was business as usual, it would have taken two gardai about 10 minutes to do that sweep a few times every day, they just werent arsed.

Just to clarify I'm referring to the posts in this and many other threads that would have you believe DCC is some sort of no go area, which of course is laughable.

As I posted previously, watch a video of the hundreds of thousands of people going about their business in DCC and you'll get very bored very quickly.

The other point I was making is about one particularly promiment area that is managed poorly, and the lack of motivation, incomptence or something else to deal with that.

Let's agree to disagree. I think there is a lack of policing around the Parnell, O'Connell St and Talbot areas particularly, and you think there is not.

You have given one example of your walk around, which is fair enough, and I can give another example of a video on social media last week that showed police failing to attend a public order issue on O'Connell St. It was filmed for 2 minutes in full view of a crowd that had gathered. That's just one example of why I think the area needs to be policed and managed better. I'm just not confident there are ever Garda in the right place at the right time for some reason, that's just my experience

...actually the example i gave may be the reason for your example? It was the same for a few days after Prime Time did their thing.

Post edited by ALB2022 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

A lot of the addicts are missing a limb so you could say living close to the city centre really has cost them an arm and a leg.

They probably won’t even order a toastie. Too busy looking for tapas

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I've seen in limerick, tralee, Waterford...People are more likely to swing at you if there is any sort of agro.

anyone who think Dublin is a “no go” area is better off locking themselves into a panic room.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Perhaps you could quote some of the posts which claim that the city centre is a no go area?

Just to reassure people that you're not strawmanning away like billy-o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Keegan needs to be ran out of the council. He's a massive hindrance to progress and the only thing that interests him is unfeasible vanity projects. The city has declined under his watch.

He is from the exact same mindset as Robert Watt. Too much power gone to the head and thinks they are untouchable.

If you're a non pauper Dublin is a great city to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Jizique

Exactly. Living in a capital is usually expensive. But if you have money, there's plenty to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

If only they did the basics. it is not brain surgery. As a 20+ year resident of Dublin City I can attest it has gone backwards in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Spent most of the day, today on Henry st., Moore st., Wolfe Tone st., Capel st. & Liffey st. with the kids. Lots of uniformed Garda around, very visible presence on foot and on bikes (more than usual, Halloween?). All streets were clean (including Moore st.) DCC were active & visible cleaning too. Recommend the extremely affordable beef skirt on sale in Troys Butchers & the Special Spicy Hue in Aobaba.

The best thing is... we made it out alive!

Advertisement