Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Its not ****"

"No one cares that its ****"

"People are just passing through anyway"

The amount of coping, its like the steps of grieving 😂

I was having a quiet drink in O'Connell Street only last night. A good deal of the north inner city and quays are in a sorry state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Guards are making their presence felt around the areas exposed on Prime Time. They are visible in the middle of O'Connell Street. As a result it's been quieter the past couple of weeks in terms of visible anti social behaviour.

Give it another few months and when the dust has settled it will be back to being a full on kip again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

are there any parts of the inner city you actually like?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A couple of my favourite streets were always Wicklow St and Duke St and walking through those locations even now bring you into contact with a significant number of scrotebags on a semi regular basis..

used to be quite gentrified urban thoroughfares with a nice relaxed pace to life… good music shops, bespoke independent clothing emporia, nice pubs, restaurants etc and nobody bothering you…. But now… fairly usual to have someone wearing a sleeping bag with customary hood up with a fag hanging out of its mouth and eyes popping out of its head and a metallic pong , popping right up into your face.. “ sorry bud, you couldn’t spare some …. “

You are indeed correct sir, I couldn’t… now my good man, allow me on my way…

It still has all of those things and not all of us are so precious that the sight of someone in that terrible situation puts us off a city entirely. Also that area is pretty well kept in general but you'll encounter homeless people and beggars in all cities, maybe cities aren't for people like you.

It's quite telling of your character that you punch down at people like this and call them "scrotebags". There but for the grace of God and all.

• Advertisement

The only scrotebags are people who look down on the homeless like that.

Contemptible behaviour, tbh. Perhaps such snowflakes should avoid urban environments so they don't get offended by people worse off than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why should ordinary law abiding tax paying citizens be hasseled by these people.

What concerns me is that 99% of the citizens can be hassled by 1%.

Get a grip.

What's your definition of hassle? Begging? I can't think of any city I've been to without beggars. Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭fabvinny

Are you speaking from experience? I was in SF a couple of weeks ago and saw nothing like that and i saw a lot of the city. certainly a lot of homeless people but never got any hassle. Unlike experiences I have had in our capital city...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yes, I'm speaking from experience having lived there in the 90's and on hols in November 2019 just before COVID hit.

We stayed in a hotel not far from Union Square. There were homeless people in most doorways. And clearly many of the homeless there had serious mental health issues.

The first day we were there I told my wife we needed to be back in the hotel before it got dark as the place gets a bit dangerous. She ignored me. We got followed and hassled a good few times on the way back to the hotel. The second night we were there, the wife didn't need to be coaxed into going back to the hotel before dark, she practically legged it back before nightfall. She didn't want to stay a third night so we went back to Mountain View.

I got hassled loads of times during the day too. And I saw one homeless guy threaten to kill another person because he wouldn't buy him breakfast.

We got a taxi from our hotel to the train station. The driver drove through either the Tenderloin or Mission District, I wasn't paying much attention. I'm glad I was in the taxi as it was like a scene from the walking dead. An absolute kip with homeless everywhere.

Maybe I was just unlucky or you were extremely lucky or maybe SF has cleaned up it's act but that's my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's no way the city centre is a no go area I cycle thru it every day the only thing that annoys me is maybe some beggar asking you for a euro .I presume New York London Paris has homeless people or junkies in certain areas I think crime has gone down since the 90s but if anything bad happens it.ll be on social media and Irish news websites .

I think it would be better if there were more gardai on patrol especially after 6pm

I don't think there's any city in the eu that's perfect or has no crime or homeless people hanging around certain areas

people hanging around .unless someone's holding a joint in their hand how does one tell if random person is a homeless person or a junkie

Because I feel empathy. Give it a shot. It'll make you less hate filled and miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Example of the scene on OCS...

I was on the Aircoach, stopped at Gresham Hotel,

the baggage doors open, some head grabs a few bags and runs off.

How do you deal with that?

Grafton St is just shops though.

O’Connell St in the 80’s and 90’s was decent Clearys was a really nice centrepiece, a massive departure store with everything .

No problem with homeless people… I do have a problem with drug addicts having been assaulted by one and on another occasion with someone who was also.

so I think scrotebags are an apt way of describing them. As for my character I don’t go around harming people or assaulting them. So what you may class as ‘telling’.. you might want to have a word with yourself.

the fact that many Gardai as I can attest from both assaults in the immediate aftermaths and later are about as useful as a wheelchair with pedals which doesn’t exactly help things for victims or indeed deter scrotebags.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I worked on Prince’s street in the 90s. O’Connell street was boring even then. The traffic and the buses ruined it. Grafton street is far better because it’s pedestrianised.

FYI, real Dubs know Cleary’s was full of culchies. Arnotts was Dubs. Especially the bargain basement if you weren’t well off.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Showing your prejudices there aren't you, calling Dubliners, Dubs, but people from other parts of the country, culchies (syn. of country bumpkin). Considering your defence of the much maligned people of the city centre in this thread, it makes you sound like a hypocrite.

By the way, the name of the store was Clerys not Cleary's, it also had a bargain basement and plenty of more broadminded Dubliners shopped there and were sad to see its closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Some good points made above on ratio of actual incidents v's the number of people frequenting DCC.

There are people who are just not able to cope with cities. They are not used to it and it frightens them.

E.g I would tell my younger sister to enjoy going out in Dublin City and let me know how she got on. However, I would tell my mother in law (blind, 80's, lives outside Dublin and tends to carry a lot of cash) to stop going into DCC for her late night walks (my own mother is fine because she knows Dublin).

Unfortunately, based on recent posts on social media around the OCS area, the brief bounce leading up to and post Prime Time is almost gone.

Again, where isolated incidents are occuring (usually not involving Joe public) the Garda are slow to attend, if at all.

I'll be generous and say there's usually a 5m window around these things. Failure to respond within that timeframe should not be acceptable for such a prominant area. There is something not right with how this area is managed.

As long as this goes on, people who are not familiar with the reality, will create threads saying 'Dublin' (the name used by most people not familiar with Dublin) is a **** no go zone. When, in reality, there are hundreds of thousands of people going about their business this Friday morning, tens of thousands of whom will be out in the City later, hopefully all enjoying themselves. It is the same everywhere else in Ireland, just on a different scale.

Yet the video of a disturbance involving 5 people fighting amongst themselves or with door security, with no Garda available, will be posted on SM, feeding into the perception.

It's a bit like living on a street with a neighbor who has property on it. People on the street throw their rubbish into this part of their neighbor's property who doesn't look after it because its only 1% of their property, but it takes up a large part of the street.

The only time they will look to see what condition it is in is when Barac Obama is coming to stay for a day or 2.

Whilst dealing with their own issues, the other neighbors start to wonder why people think Ireland is perceived poorly by visitors and why we let this part of the street fall into a poor state.

Post edited by ALB2022 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's definitely not a "no-go area". It certainly is a "why would you bother going there area". It is and will be left to whatever stumbles around it, no one cares. Least of all the Dubliners here who defend it. More of a south side man myself anyway.

You’re seriously getting offended by a joke post? Life online must be tough for you.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Pat Kenny was on about this today. Most seemed to agree that the City Centre was getting worse. A politician on the programme didn't know how many Gardai are on duty on O'Connell St at any one time. Didn't know if it was one or two? Some suggestion that there should be 6 at all times. Evem Pat indicated that he didn't feel comfortable walking there.

There is nothing on the street. It has heaps of potential though. But forget it..

aside from Easons I personally wouldn’t have a single want or need to go there for anything.

in Madrid, Gran Via and Plaza De Espana, Puerta del Sol, all have fûcking tonnes of amenities, nice architecture, easy transport links, well policed etc.

O’Connell street can be hugely improved. But you’re hardly making a fair comparison there.

You’re comparing it to the centre of a city that was once the capital of the largest empire the world had ever seen, up to that time. O’Connell street was bombed flat just over 100 years ago and Dublin is capital of a city that’s been broke from most of its 100 year existence

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats nothing got to do with it.

The reason O'Connell Street and all of the north inner city generally has always so sketchy, is because they are surrounded by crime and drug ridden social housing estates and complexes. The drug dealing and punch ups and intimidation and muggings and shop lifting are entirely down to that and unless that changes, then the environment in that sector of the City Centre won't change.

When it comes to policing though, I wish Helen McEntee would spare us the bullshyt about relaunching these task forces and special operations and just resource an adequate permanent policing model for a busy city centre.

These Garda operations were first launched to much fanfare precisely one year ago, as a response to anti-social issues connected with post Covid reopening and we heard from then Dublin Assistant Commissioner Anne-Marie Cagney that they would be visible and effective and they clearly have failed.

Now AC Angela Willis is being given the job because Cagney retired early. Lets see if she will be any more effective, but I doubt it.

“That’s nothing to do with it”? You think comparing O’Connell street to major areas in Madrid is a fair comparison?

I don’t know how to respond to the rest of that rant to be honest. There’s social houses 200m from Stephen’s Green. Both sides of the Liffey are packed with it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Seriously. Wicklow and Duke Street?

I have no idea how you think that, unless you're hiring people.

Yes it's gas, like comparing Cork to beautiful cities with similar populations like Montpellier or Galway to Siena. Ireland isn't as developed as these countries in many ways, quelle surprise.

Developed? How so?

I await with bated breath. Educate me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Houses where I was born were € 300k+ when we were buying first.

We bought in a cheaper area accordingly as we could not afford there.

We are now moving as we can afford it to where I grew up later on, there is no way on earth our children will be able to afford to buy there straight off, same way my parents 4 children couldn't.

Advertisement