Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

This is the quotes thread. Just too many debates going on here so people get confused which thread their on.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Nope! Not confused at all.

I assumed Jonathan moved the conversation from the separate thread which was off the root to this location, so when i replied I was post #2 in the other thread. T'was the right thing to do, but it made reading it here out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

Thanks for flagging it. I thought it was weird there wasn’t more threads about quotes. I asked for the possibility of optimisers, the provider from quote 1 didn’t give much importance to that.

provider 2 looks very attentive. Provider 1 looks like someone who wants to sort out this asap without providing much advice.

what do you think of the warranties and the panel mounting? Are they relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭who what when

Has anyone got a quote for a ground mounted array? Or have any idea what a 18 panel, 6 kw inverter should cost? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Quick one . We got several quotes for a system that has panels on 3 roof surfaces . One has come back to say that because the inverter is only 2 string they can only do 2 roofs . Nearly all the quotes we have are with 2 string inverters and they are the only ones to say this . I’m waiting to hear the rationale but curious if there is any merit in it . It’s a well known company using alpha ess inverters .

for us it would mean a 4kw system instead of 5kw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

I have a 5.5kWp system on 3 sides east/south/west on a 2 string Solis 5kW inverter but needed optimisers for my west panels which are connected to my east ones. The tech people here can tell you about the limits each string can handle when you have a certain amount on each string. I have 5 east-7 south-4 west all 345w.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

That is helpful thank you . This is the setup

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dev1234

Who what when, I'm going with a ground mounted 22 panel array.

Panels and inverter are 10.5k and ground installation is 3.5k, so 14k all in.

I've to get someone else to do the ground works and install the 12m x 3m concrete platform so I'm probably looking at 16k to finish the job

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

my DIY (ish - I outsourced the digging and foundations) 18 panel ground mount with 10kWh battery. Add on another 500 euro for electrician and random bits. Happy to answer any ground mount questions in DM.

That looks like it's going to be a kick ass system. You have €3810 for 18x panels, which ones (wattage) did you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

Exact. 'Hearing lots of unhappy people complaining about that in my native country currently (Belgium). Electricity network 'not up to the task' with many having installed PVs in recent years - and it was only with some April sun... So have been wondering : how solid is the grid around here ?? As interested as I am about getting PV, that can change the picture quite a bit... Or is the installation system totally different here?

(just one example of media paper about this, I've seen many others - and read friends complaining of the same on social networks https://www.rtbf.be/article/quand-les-onduleurs-decrochent-et-que-les-panneaux-photovoltaiques-ne-produisent-plus-d-electricite-quelles-solutions-11187820 )

Not really the right thread for this - this being the quotes thread. Solar penetration is low in Ireland though (2% approx). I don't have concrete figures, but as an engineer, my gut feeling is that we're fine for the moment. Eventually as more people adopt solar, you'll start to see pockets here/there around the country which will need grid updating - but we're probably a good ways from that.

it's not a new problem. Hawaii had this issue a decade ago so it's well known.

10500 Sounds very expensive for 22 panels and an inverter. I would have thought in the ball park of 5500. Does this include a battery?

which ground mount are you going for? I was planning on doing a concrete platform until I seen the price of concrete and decided to just do two strips along the front and back where the legs mount to the pad. Did you think about how you’re going to secure the legs to the concrete? Chemical fixings?

concrete cost me 380. For the strips. I would have been 1200 for a full pad. Photo here:

i have 2 similar quotes

Both are 5.46KW systems

A. Trina 420 Panels Solax 5kw inverter and Solax 5.8KW battery

B. Jinko 420 Panels , Sollis 5KW inverter and Dyness 5.1KW battery

Would appreciate any feedback on the hardware

Thanks

Mike

The cost of 22 panels alone would be well over that. Then add in inverter, mounting, labour etc. 10.5k doesn't sound too bad actually.

Edit - I'm referring to HotSwap's post

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carbuncle

i am paying €136 ex vat for jinko mono 425w panels so €2720 of ex vat plus €1100 for a growatt hybrid ex vat. I do t think hotswap is including the ground mount. That’s €3820 ex vat total .

hotswap, what size inverter? It will be 5kw max from 1st June but 6kw inverters are cheaper than 5kw at the moment (to get rid of stock) you would need to get your nc6 in before the end of the month to use 6kw, your nc6 won’t be accepted with a 6kw after may.

if it is 5kw then maybe your are buying too many panels, I am not really sure on this.

10.5k for 22 panels? Seriously? Panels cost about 140-180 ex vat each depending on the brand.

To clarify, I've been quoted €13,700 for a 9.13kW 22-panel system with a 6kW hybrid inverter and a ground mounted system. Fully installed. DIY is not my strong suit!!

No battery.

I need to organise my own ground works.

The quote is from one of the companies listed in this forum.

Is it reasonable?

sounds like an easy job for them; they don’t even have to get on a ladder / roof; as you will have it all prepped for them. They are providing about 8-9k worth of gear (panels / ground rack / inverter / cables / isolation switches) so they are looking to make about 5k for a days work. Assembly of the rack and mounting the panels will take no time on the ground. And a small bit of electrical work inside to get a new circuit installed for the inverter. I would push them on this price considering your doing all the hard work in advance of them arriving.

your technically over the planing exemption for solar ground mount PV with the size of that array; so that could impact your ability to get a grant if your thinking about that. Also; planning if you care…

id be checking the spec sheet of the inverter so that your not going to exceed the max operational voltage for the MPPT with 11 panels on a 6kw inverter. If you know the make and model of the inverter and the panels I can check this for you.

i have 7.5 kWp of panels connected to a 6kw inverter and I’m right on the edge of clipping on sunny days and your going to have 9.1; so without a battery going to get a lot more (where the panels are generating more than your inverter can handle).

maybe your should consider going with an NC7 application where you can have up to 17 kw of inverters . So you could do the same array and use a 10kw inverter. It will cost you 900 euro to ESB and maybe 150-200 extra for the 10kw inverter. And you would have no clipping and export way more in the summer.

What do you need to cover so:

Dig foundation

Boarding / Concrete form

buy concrete

dig trench from array to house.

install red conduit for cables

i put a separate meter box on my external wall for the DC cables.

i would get a quote for this as I personally would expect to pay

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed response HotSwap, I really appreciate it!!

The €13.7k had the grant taken off it so the actual quote pre-grant is €16,100. I'll be ringing around again Tuesday morning to cross-compare.

For my own information, what part of my potential installation breaches planning and would put the grant at risk? Planning never came up in my conversation with the installer.

Have people had their grant applications refused for such an issue?

It is a Huawei inverter (SUN2000-6KTL-L1).

Thanks again for your input.

Seriously what? You said ballpark 5.5k for 22 panel ground mounted system. A few posters now have demonstrated that those figures are unrealistic. Quotes I've received myself back this up. Prices of the panels in isolation are almost irrelevant, the price of the entire installation is the important thing.

That seems expensive.

and don’t forget that you have to have the nc6 submitted before the end of may for a 6kw inverter- if its late then the nc6 will be rejected so no fit, grant and your install won’t be legal (not sure if you can be fined or whatever).

I have just built the mountings for 2 sets of 10 panels and laid them out on my flat roof - 2 hours on my own. I will get help with the panels and ballast. I also need to add the wind break panels at the ends of assembly and the rear of the panels. 12 special fittings to connect the two halves of each length of mount . The feet click into place and a belt of a rubber mallet for the panels mounts

I used this system. They mention ground mount but you may be limited to a 10 degree angle. Ballast is used to keep them on the ground /roof.

it cost me €1,000 ex vat for the kit but I need some pressure mats and of course ballast (thinking concrete fence posts) - maybe another €300.

https://www.valksolarsystems.com/en/solar-mounting-systems/ground-mount

here is the SI: https://assets.gov.ie/237948/7030f49f-4078-47ef-b7d1-51d5aed946b1.pdf

25m2 of panel surface area and needs to be less than 2.5 M high. Also has to be behind the front wall of the property.

a typical panel is 1722x1134 which is 1.95M2 surface area. So 22 panels would be 42.96 M2. Considerable amount over the limit; in my opinion this would make me question if it’s eligible for the grant.

that’s the same inverter that I have; according to the spec sheet it has an operating DC input voltage of 90-560 V with a max of 600v DC. Spec sheet does list 9000w as the max PV input; but I believe this is if you are using optimised panels.

taking a panel that I am familiar with it has a max power voltage of about 32V so 32 v * 22 panels gives 702V; again this is considerably higher than the max value of 600v on the data sheet. What about your warranty? Is it covered in this setup?

Ground mounts are really not the norm; I personally did DIY with some outsourcing for ground works and electrical stuff; and my electrician wasn’t SEAI registered so I just wrote it off and moved on.

if the real quote is 16100 they stand to make 7k for a days work. It’s a joke. I got my 7.5 kWp / 10kWh battery for about 17k all in.

where in the country are you? If you’re already comfortable with planning / arranging the ground works; why not tackle some of the other tasks?

Thanks for the responses folks!!

The 25sq.m limit for ground mounting restricts the installation to 12 panels which I can get on my roof.

The ground installation is to maximise capacity. I'll talk to the installer on Tuesday about planning requirements and ensuring eligibilty of my grant application for the 6k inverter before the end of May.

Thanks again for the input - a lot to consider!!

Use some string to line them up :) and cut 2-3 bits of 2x1 to act as spacers between the rails. Constantly measuring is a pain and really gets you nowhere.but you only have a few panels so just work from one side to the other and place the rails as you move across. I built my entire rack; and some very small inaccuracies added up as I loved across and I had to take it apart and build it again.

you didn’t get the ballast carriers? Another set of metal that run from left to right? I just used 300x300 paving slabs; they were perfect. Part way into project:

this is a great system for flat roofs. I’m not convinced about its application on the actual ground. 1.) it’s a bit too low and the angle is awful for winter. 2.) unless your ground is perfectly flat it might be difficult.

You’re doing the right thing with the ground mount. Let us know what the installer says.

I was going to use string but never thought of spacers so thanks for that!

you seem quite high up there, what ballast weight in total are you using and what weight in those slabs? I can get slabs no bother but don’t have a clue on weight until I get on the phone on tiesday. I was told I needed 900kg in total so 450kg per set of 10 panels.

I did get ballast carriers on the basis I can return if I don’t use them but I think paving slabs and the carriers might be easier to handle than concrete fence posts, I will change to them now.

my side windbreaks don’t have a hole for the ballast carriers, maybe they need swapped.

my ballast carriers have maybe a 10cm slot at one end (to sit on top of the rack) but not the other so I was not sure how they would fit and the instructions are not clear - what are yours like and if they are the same what am I not seeing?

I was going to ask if you have noticed any movement but I see you mentioned you are not finished yet.

I am hoping to be up and running after next weekend, depending on electrician for final part.

I’m finished alright. I did it last year. I think each slab was 14kg. I think I used 104 slabs and i had 28 panels. So 64 slabs (900 divided by 14) seems reasonable. Fence posts sound like a disaster. At least the concrete slabs are manageable by one person. I have a slab lifter if your near Dublin or Tullamore.

I used the exact same system as you. So it should be identical. We shouldn’t post anymore here as it’s cluttering up the thread. Post a few photos for me in another thread and tag me and we can figure it out.

• Advertisement

——-

Hope it’s ok to bump this. We are down to our last 2 quotes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement