Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭somedood

Solis hybrid 6kW inverter

16 Jinko 420 watt N type solar panel on wavy tile

Weco 5.3 kWh battery

My energi Hotwater diverter

Total before grant : €11,500.00

€2400 will be paid directly to client by the SEAI - Is this normal practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭rx8

It can be paid to either the installer or the customer. Depending on who's bank details are registered on the seai portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Has anyone got a recent price to add a battery?

What would be good / bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gordon-freeman

Hey folks! Here are some of the quotes I got from Solar Installers.

Option 1:

12 X 410W (4.9KW) Jinko N-type panels with 5KWH PylonTech battery and Solis Inverter = 11,200 after grant and BER included

Option 2:

12 X 420W (5.04) Jinko N-type panels with 5KWH CFE battery and Sofar inverter = 9132 after grant + BER extra. An option is to add 400 Euros to get a Sofar battery with a 10-year inverter warranty as opposed to 5 years.

Option 3:

12 X 410W (4.9KW) Longi Panels with 5KWH ErgoCell Hybrid Inverter with CATL LFP battery = 8230 + BER extra

Any recommendations, I am confused between Options 2 and 3, a difference of about 900 euros, Jinko vs Longi and different inverters/batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭raindodger

is this value 4.2kw jinko 420wsystem with 4kw huawei inverter,eddi and ber.Complete ac and dc installation all materials included,live monitoring app.Cost coming in at 6300 net.

What are yere thoughts on this set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭tech

Hi Somedood

seems like a good price €9100 after grant? for 6.7kw of panels and 5kw battery and Eddi

Xxxx I assume?

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LeinsterLegend

Hi All

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm hoping to pull the trigger very soon so down to the last few quotes. I value quality and no hassle. I'd love to know if I'm in the right ballpark as I'm including a car charger and a battery. The most important thing for me is that I don't look back in a year or two and say, if only I'd known, that's why quality and trusting the installer is so important to me. The quote:

Panels: 16 x JKM420N-54HL4-B 420 Watt Panels (Jinko)

Inverter: 1 x SUN2000-5KTL-L1 (Huawei)

Battery: 1 x LUNA2000-5-S0 (Huawei)

Car Charger: 1 x ZAPPI-207TB,

Diverter: 1 x Eddi,

Smart Power Sensor: 1 x DTSU666-H 250A/50mA

Cost after grant: €14,750

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

Anyone have any communication from xxxx recently?

My panels were fitted over a month ago and still no sign of the electricians to finish the job. No response to emails.

The end of May is fast approaching and I don't want to end up with a 5kw inverter😠

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Relation of mine got a quote today, Dublin.

This is all the info I have:

4kw PV (no idea about spec but x8 panels was mentioned)

Hybrid inverter

Battery (of unknown size)

Diverter

Supplied and fitted.

12,180 and 2,400e grant

So it would be9,780

This seems high to me? Thoughts?

Relation is with prepay power so first thing I gotta do is get them off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭lau1247

Does the below quote sound reasonable?

Option 1:

Panels: 10 x Jinko Tiger Neo JKM415N-54HL4-B 415 Watt Panels (Total 4.15kW)

Diverter: 1 x Eddi

Price include full install but no BER assessment (Separate)

Cost after grant: €6,500

The idea here is to use the diverter to heat up water tank and once water is heated, any other excess to slow charge BEV throughout the day. Maybe come September when more fund is available, I'll add the 5-10kW battery

Option 2:

Panels: 10 x Jinko Tiger Neo JKM415N-54HL4-B 415 Watt Panels (Total 4.15kW)

Battery: 1 x LUNA2000-5-S0 (Huawei)

Diverter: 1 x Eddi,

Smart Power Sensor: 1 x (Not sure of specific model - brand is Huawei I think)

Price include full install but no BER assessment (Separate)

Cost after grant: €11,500

What do people here think?

Obviously the ideal set up is Option 2 if the fund is unlimited. But from pricing standpoint, are both reasonable?

Presumably, the BER assessment is for the Solar PV SEAI Grant purpose but if I take option 1 and install without battery, I don't have to repeat the BER assessment again right?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I’m terms of the gear it’s the same as what I have. With the exception that I have a 6kw inverter and a 10kWh battery. You can add additional 5kWh battery modules simply later if you need more. They cost 2400 euro each now ex vat. They came down a bit recently.

on the car charger side; huawei are releasing one in the coming weeks; and it may integrate better with the huawei gear than the zappi. If you don’t need it right now it might be worth holding off.

I personally bought an eddi when I was doing the install; but it’s been sitting unused in the bench; as the FIT of .21 cent is too good to waste on heating water. Just heat the water at night in the low rate for half the price and save the spend on the eddi. If things change in the future with the FIT it’s a simple job to install one; it’s not atcually connected to the PV system in any way; it’s totally independent.

make sure that you have admin access to the gear before the installer leaves; as configuring things like charging from grid can only be done as an installer.

standard advise is if you can fit more panels try to do so now. I’d drop the eddi and the charger for more panels if possible. Or maybe drop the charger and eddi and get an extra 5kWh battery module.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

I used them back in February, and my experience was you need to call them for things to happen. Email responses were patchy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭con747

@Jonathan A few posts naming a company might need cleaning up if you think so.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

They are charging 5000 for a 5kWh huawei battery. Cost of the battery is 3206. And it’s a 1 hour job to install it in addition to the inverter. I’d be looking to get this for 3500 supply and install.

Ask them to remove the eddi and see how much the price drops; it’s not worth having one at the moment; any electrician can install one later. They cost 405 euro ex vat. It’s an east DIY job for most people also if you already have an immersion.

Now that they have remove the eddi (let’s say that’s 600 euro off) that puts you at 5900, then add on the reasonable 3500 for the battery; leave you at 9400.

see if they respond to these negotiations and if not move onto another supplier.

The huawei charger is available now.

it will integrate very well with the huawei inverter. I would recommend this:

https://ske-solar.com/en/product/huawei-smartcharger-ac-wallbox-7ks-s0/

it costs 25 euro less than the zappi; so you should be seeing a discount by swapping it out.

also consider that your panels and battery will not power your house in the event of a grid outage. That May or may not be important to you; but huawei do offer a “backup box” solution that would allow you to power some parts of your home from solar / battery when the grid is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

For an installer to order, collect, deliver, mount, setup and explain how the battery behaves has to be closer to ½ day of their time I’d guess. It’s no way 1 hour.

Even when it’s onsite, mounting it is a 2 person job. Would likely be some back and forth with house owners on where it can go when people see the actual size. Then the cable runs to it, and it’s an expensive cable too so longer runs cost more in terms of their cable costs. Then some Qs pre and post installed from people on how the battery is behaving (as there is a learning curve) – I haven’t included that time.

Granted you can use the spend of the battery to haggle on price, but there is a point they will rightly walk away from it. And good to let them know you're aware of the supply price of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

Hi lads,

I'm looking for advice about the technology used and not about the quote. I have 2 similar quotes and I was wondering which one would be better having the same price.

OPTION 1

Solar Panels

17 x 420 Watt Panels Trina Solar (TSM-420DE09R.08)

Total Solar Power: 7.14 kW

Estimation: 6,040 kWh per year

Inverter Huawei 6 kW - 1 x SUN2000-6KTL-L1

Slate Mounting: S-Flex Slate Mounting System

Eco-Smart Energy Diverter

Hot Water Diverter

1 x MyEnergi Eddi

Smart Power Sensor

Smart Power Sensor

1 x Huawei Power Meter

Warranties: 15 Year Panel Product Warranty, 25 Year Panel Performance Warranty, 10 Year Inverter Product Warranty. Whole system Workmanship: I asked and the guy didn't know

OPTION 2

19 x 420 Watt Panels Jinko (jkm420n-54hl4-b)

Total Solar Power: 7.9KW

Growwat 5KW Hybrid Inverter - (MIN 5000TL-XH)

Slate Mounting: Renusol

1 x MyEnergi Eddi

Warranties - 25 years for both performance and panel, 10 years on inverter.

Whole system Workmanship warranty - 5 years.

Is the mounting system important?

Can we discuss specific providers/installers somewhere?

Post edited by UnhappyCustomer on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭deezell

A lot is down to long term warranty and support, on panels and inverter. 10 years not much use if the installer is gone in a few year, and you don't know who supplied the actual kit or covers the warranty, so that needs to all detailed. These articles are useful.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/3jw5n7z9

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LeinsterLegend

THanks so much for both your posts HotSwap, hugely appreciated.

The 16 panels max out the space I have on the roof, if I could add more at this stage I would.

I'll ask the supplier about the Huawei car charger. I know the Zappi is held in high regard with a proven track record so there is some piece of mind there. I'll do a bit of research on it. If there are any teething issues with it being so new I'll never hear the end of it!

The plan for the battery will be to expand from 5kwh to 10kwh if it makes sense after I use if for a few months.

The final piece is the Eddi. I understand what you are saying. Our current water heating is from Gas (I have the option of both Gas or Electricity thanks to the previous owner). Getting an electrician out again will annoy other family members so I might just bite the bullet now and include it knowing I can switch it off or on.

So overall for the spec is the quote of €14,750 ok? - the supplier has impressed me to date and is one of the ones listed on this site. I think they might be marginally more expensive but for perceived quality and service so far that's fine with me as long as we're only talking marginally 😀 .

Ordering literally takes 30 seconds tacked onto the PV order. The supplier I typically deal with offer free delivery. The installers I know get all the gear delivered to site by the wholesaler.

it’s been a one person job for me on 3 separate locations; as the battery incomes in 5kWh modules; and the cable is standard 4mm PV cable as it’s a high voltage battery; and needs to be within 10m of the inverter; so the cost of the cable is negligible. It’s a simple setup process in the app; it’s just one additional step in the wizard for setting up the inverter.

if they walk away and are not willing to negotiate; that’s up to them.

half a day of someone’s time isn’t worth 1800 euro. They are already highly profitable in the job from the panels (getting on the roof / etc… - I don’t begrudge them a penny of that money) but charging 1800 euro to add on a battery is very questionable in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Both are well established installers. One can have it mounted in 14 weeks, the other in 4/6 weeks.

OPTION 1

Warranties: 15 Year Panel Product Warranty, 25 Year Panel Performance Warranty, 10 Year Inverter Product Warranty. Whole system Workmanship: I asked and the guy didn't know

OPTION 2

Warranties - 25 years for both performance and panel, 10 years on inverter.

Whole system Workmanship warranty - 5 years.

regarding the growatt inverter:

https://youtu.be/0Lkcb_Sr0xo

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/are-growatt-inverters-any-good-heres-an-installers-opinion/

growatt inverters where known as nowatt but apparently they have improved immensely and they are relatively cheaper than the competition.

I want a hybrid inverter because I'm thinking of putting up batteries in the future. I heard Huawei just admit certain registered batteries while other inverters allow you to use DIY batteries. Do you know anything about this?

You are correct about the Huawei Inverters, they only support the LUNA battery (Huawei). or LG Chem Battery; both of which are high voltage. You cannot connect random LV DC Battery's. Current cost price of the 5kwh battery modules from Huawei is 2400 ex vat. And you need a control module that supports 3 of the modules which is about 700. It's comes down to what your expectation is in terms of the charge and discharge rates and safety features of the battery are. I personally went for the Huawei LUNA battery route as I felt the features justified the cost (But I did a DIY install, so I did not have to pay any margin to an installer...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭deezell

Only from an engineers viewpoint. The charge/discharge rates and capacities, and the battery life and efficiency are intrinsically linked, and as Lipo batteries are so expensive, for maximum life and optimal performance it is hugely beneficial if the charging and discharging device is finely tuned to the characteristics of the battery. The inverter needs to know a lot about the batteries connected so as not to wreck them, or inefficiently charge them, say when charging with night rate. Inverter manufacturers will also want to protect their device from unknown batteries connected by very high current capacity cables.

You see a similar thing with modern cars with stop/start engines, eco charging. and AGM type batteries. The car has to have the battery programmed into its system to optimise charging. Lots of lads wreck new batteries by putting in wrong capacity or type, or simply not letting the car 'know' the battery is the exact same, but new. You can understand why Huawei were hesitant to admit third party batteries, they're not the only ones iirc.

I think there is some overlap / confusion in my reply.. I was mixing and matching lau1247 and your quotes. They are both very similar. maybe the same installer?

I would ditch the Eddi and put the money in the additional 5kwh battery now. The .21 cent FIT is too good at the moment. Just use the info I gave to make sure you are not getting overcharged.

I have a big consumption so 5 or 10 kWh wouldn't be enough to keep me going through the night.

I would be looking into 20kw. I have no clue on how to do it at the minute but my intention is learning from now until I have to do it.

While I understand you can maximise better the Huawei batteries are they are optimised, is it worth the extra price and the less capacity?

I have these two providers and genuinely this will make me choose one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

If you truly need a 20kWh battery, don't get a Huawei inverter (I had one myself) as you'll spent a wildddddddddddd amount to get 20kWh and only have 2 compatible batteries (LG Luna and Huawei) and both are similar prices afaik. So ask your installer for options. Or you could DIY a 20kWh on in time and ignore it for now. But change from the Huawei inverter either way as you won't be getting their batteries.

2nd Q is where are you using all that juice? Asking in case you could get away with a smaller battery. You won't charge an EV from a house battery, suffer electrical losses on both batteries. Fine once in a while, but not every day. So if you have an EV that can charge from excess solar from a Zappi (if in the house when it's sunny). Or on cheap night rate if that's cheaper than ~20c FIT you get for exported power. Is it for a heatpump in winter? Maybe you're an all electric house (heating, cooking, EV..)

Good questions. I suppose the Huawei inverter can be changed later on with no issues?

I have a big house but old as well and I would like to get a heat pump. I will try my best to improve the insulation but I know it won't get to the standard of the new houses and the heat pump will have to work (and consume electricity)

Also, I don't want to rely on selling energy to the grid or the night rates because today it works but tomorrow we all have electric cars charging during the night and all of the sudden the night rate is peak so that would mess me up.

I would like to spend the winter relying as little as possible on the grid.

Now it looks like technically the two options are feasible and with similar prices.

So option 2 gives more years of warranty but you guys have had this for a while. Do you need that amount of years of is it gimmicky?

Now, do I want this in 4/6 weeks or 14 weeks?

What would you want and why?

This is melting me head

20kwh huawei will cost ya 11,000 for the raw materials. 15 kWh would cost you 7900. I’m at 10kWh at the moment and haven’t seen the need to buy the additional 5kWh module; but I will do it if the need arrives. They actually dropped in price this month. The above prices are not factoring in install; I’ve done the training courses; and their support is great; I’ve not had a question they couldn’t answer.

For me it was about the performance (5-7 kWh discharge rate to mitigate all grid import during the day) that combined with the safety features as it’s installed under the stairs.

in winter when the days are shorter; I’m just going to configure the battery to hold its charge until 8am when the peak rate starts.

What safety features?

Also, I still don't know how to make the DIY battery and how much it will cost but certainly 11k is a lot of money.

Where would you recommend installing the inverter? I know they can get really hot

• Advertisement

it’s got 100% DOD (not safety - but you can drain them to 0% without issue)

Cell level temperature monitoring / optimisation and isolation. This also allows old and new modules to be combined with no issue; if I decide to upgrade later. I’ve seen people get into issues when attempting to add additional low voltage battery’s to an existing setup to attempt to expand it.

and each 5kWh module has its own fire extinguishing system built in.

yeah; 11k is pricy; but I only have 10kWh at the moment and I’m doing good.

id love the idea of a DIY battery; but the money I would save isn’t worth the headache if/when something goes wrong. You will only have yourself to rely on. And the battery is now a key component in my home; if it’s offline for any amount of time it’s going to be racking up serious bills buying energy from the grid at over .40 cent per unit.

I have my inverter mounted in under the stairs in a plant room; some people put them in attics; the huaweis are also fully IP rated; they can be installed outside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement