Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swashbuckler's Marathon Debut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

You guys clip your toenails? Where the fun in that? Real racers don’t do that or apply anti shaving stuff on their nipples 😁. Joking of course! I’m more surprised you guys have some toe nails left.

And with regards to race week. Sure have everything ready but keep something minor til the last minute. Sorting that out will keep your mind occupied and therefore less time to start questioning things!

what I also would advice:

1. start visualising how you will cross the finish line in a time of sub 2:50. It will pump you up and help you believing in yourself!
    2. start planning the next race. That way this one only becomes a milestone and therefore less pressure. You can’t control the day but you can control the mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sub 2.50? I think you have the wrong log 🤣

As for the next race Ballyheigue 10k in June I'd say. O actually already started looking at what shorter stuff was going on in the summer. But not getting too ahead of myself either.

Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately, me being me I've already planned most stuff. All the gear is sorted. Gels are sorted. Gel plan is sorted. All the training runs in advance are planned.

Nope. I’m serious. Picture yourself crossing the line in sub2:50. How you would celebrate! How you will feel!

as I always say: if you reach for the moon, you may just get there. If you reach for the sun, you will pass the moon! 😉 it’s all about being mentally strong!

Well considering I plan on being reasonably conservative in the first half I'd need a second half of 1.20 to go sub 2.50. I'll reach for the sun some other day..not on my first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

While I agree that you have to have a positive mindset & I would generally be a positive person & I like to reach my potential as best I can, I do also think that setting the bar that bit too high can add unnecessary stress to a person. I'm not doubting for one minute P's potential to do extremely well for his 1st marathon but I think he has the right attitude to stick to his plan of a sub 3, which to me is such a huge achievement for anyone's 1st marathon 😊

• Advertisement

Look all, I’m not saying “go out hard and just go for sub 2:50”. I’m saying “dream about it”. What’s the point in dreaming about the possible? There is non.

dream about the “what seems to be” impossible. That will make you stronger! That will keep you going! Dream big or don’t dream at all! For what it’s worth I dream about breaking 2hrs in a marathon. Picturing how I would celebrate especially when done in hokas!

will I get there? No! Does it stop me from dreaming? No! Does it make me stronger? Yes, mentally as the next step can’t come without the first step! If I want to have a slight chance to get there, I have to complete this run. I have to push through the pain (unless it causes a severe injury)! I have to be controlled! Etc etc etc. but it all starts with a big dream. A dream about something that is currently not within reach!

either way, embrace the next few weeks and the marathon! 🙂 you will do great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I get your point @babacool and you gotta do what works for you, but I think it would be very foolish to get too dreamy on the first rodeo. @Swashbuckler your training and planning has all been about a sub3 which is awesome, especially for a first marathon run. Do your best to enjoy that challenge and look to further reaching goals afterwards is my thinking.

Yeah I appreciate the sentiment of what babacool is saying but 200% agree with lainey and squinn. First timer....the dream is sub 3 and no more...and I know from training that it will be far from a done deal. I'll be over the moon if I make it to the end and see 2.59.xx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Visualise yourself crossing in 2:59. Simples.😁

I do find visualisation useful, especially when I was doing the track stuff a few years ago. Really helped to have pictured that last part of the race, and the finishing stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Definitely agree with the visualisation, also mull over how you will mentally push through the tough bits on the day, be prepared for them, have a mantra ready. I love how you already have everything sorted 😊.

• Advertisement

The visualisation is something I've made a conscious effort to do on most of my big runs..I'm so drilled at this stage. I don't see anything other than crossing under the 3hr mark....I'm under no illusions about the reality though...but nothing wrong with trying to fool the brain..lol...I've also visualised different parts of the route and how I might feel. One of the benefits being able to run the route..I can't mentally prepare myself for how crap miles 20 odd will feel though. That's where lack of marathon experience is evident...I've honestly no idea how bad that feeling will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m gonna make a wee prediction - I reckon (depending on the course as I don’t know it) but mile 20, 22 or 23 will be your fastest. Then it’ll be in the bag and from 25.5 you’ll coast home just quicker than goal pace. Lap it up then!

Haha I love the optimism...I hope you're right...the roughest part of the last 6 miles is mile 23. Before that you have central town, relatively flat north circular and downhill ennis Road. 23 is shite, pretty much all uphill back towards town. Then after that it's all relatively flat...I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just Checking in P. Going well and that 14m MP with the cumulative fatigue was excellent, you are in shape!

Just stay healthy and sharpen the saw these last few weeks. I look forward to Cheering you on, on the day. If you like I can position myself to hand you gels or drink if you need?

M

Nice one M. Thanks for the offer. Gels will be all on my person anyway. Toying with using maurten drink mix although it's horrible shite. I have a buddy already lined up for that (or alternative drink) so I'll be happy to receive your cheers and nothing else! Thanks again man. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

I’ve finally managed to get the opportunity to read through this blog (dare we call it a tome at this stage given the amount of posts on it!) after finishing up my own marathon training block. It’s been really insightful to read of your experiences following this plan. I know it was one I came across back in October/November when considering one for Manchester, but shied away from it in the end. With any training plan, it’s nice to see someone getting real world experience of it.

How are you finding the time management around family, in particular with a newborn on the scene. Selfish reasoning for asking, as I have an arrival due in September, about 4/5 weeks before Dublin - and, after the success of a Spring marathon, I’m contemplating one for next year but obviously, a newborn added on the scene presents its own challenges when training as you know.

It's a good question and probably the single biggest consideration I had to take on board with this block.......I think it depends...I'm lucky in that my wife is very understanding when it comes to my running. She knows how important it is to me and also understands how it benefits me and makes me a happier dad/husband.

I chose the Daniels plan to give me the flexibility of moving around sessions if needed...To he honest, generally I haven't needed to.

I think doing a marathon block with a newborn is manageable but there are several factors to consider. How well can you train off mixed sleep? Since January I've had less than ten uninterrupted nights sleep. Mostly waking at 4am and back to sleep by 6am. How understanding is your partner with you heading off for a run? Is it your first child? Reason I ask is I would never have tried this with our first. But at this stage my wife is expert level 100 with the kids on her own.

I think a marathon plan with a newborn is tough if you have a rigid plan that has sessions on set days every week. Newborns will always act up on session day! I wouldn't dream of trying a Hanson plan with a newborn.

All of the above considered, the reality is you'll have the bulk of the plan done before baby arrives.....so it's a judgement call.

Congrats by the way and thanks for following the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Thanks for your insights. It will be baby number two arriving in September, with child number one will be about three and a half at that point. So we have been through the ringer already. While it means absolutely nothing when it comes to your own, both myself and the missus work in the early years sector (which people think makes you a superstar parent! Anything but!!)

Like your situation, my wife was understanding of the recent training block for Manchester (she is also a sporadic runner when the mood and enthusiasm takes her), even those midweek long runs. I am cautious of taking too much of a liberty with that though. Dublin I reckon will be okay. Baby arrives in September so we are talking about the last 4-6 weeks of the plan potentially affected - and while some of that will include long runs, parental leave and the eldest child in creche might provide some windows of opportunity for that. I might have to be very selfish on the race weekend and stay up in the city on the Saturday night though.

While I was in Manchester, she stayed with my folks so she wasn’t alone in case anything cropped up between herself and the little one. So hopefully that is an option we can utilise around the actual marathon itself.

The bigger question probably is around the idea of a Spring marathon - Rotterdam is something I’m possibly eyeing up. That does mean starting to train late December through to April, like this year. So we are talking months 3-7 of the child. That’s the potentially bigger crunch and as I said to my wire, it’s a conversation we need to have to see if it’s viable. I’d like to strike while the iron is hot in regards to marathon running to get the best out of things and the recent form and then maybe look to step back to the shorter distances as the kids grow up and obviously ensure involvement in activities that tend to happen at the weekend etc. But partnership and cohesion are going to be key to been able to make that happen. Even now I find myself researching potential plans to see what is going to be best going forward to see how to juggle everything.

Well first off yourself and the missus sound like a very cohesive unit and it helps that she "gets" running and that you have a support network.

Believe it or not, as predicted by @ariana` earlier in my log, things settled from 3 months on so if anything you should hopefully find that baby is sleeping a little more and coming through any early colic/digestive issues that we seem to have had with ours.

You're moving through multiple consecutive marathon blocks there. Aside from kids that can be a physical and mental strain. Just watch out for that. I know you probably think you need to strike while the iron is hot but if you keep running consistenly then the iron will get hotter and hotter over time. Wouldn't worry too much about trying to force it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just checking in here as I have missed a few posts recently. Delighted to see things are going so well. You've had a super block and have every reason to be confident of your sub 3 goal. More than anything my wish for you is to have a great first marathon experience, whatever that involves. I'll be keeping everything crossed for you for the last few weeks of an outstanding block of training.

• Advertisement

Thanks E. Yeah to be honest it's gone better than I expected after a shaky start. Well the running has anyway. The snacking/drinking hasnt improved but i'll be writing all about that in my pre race, marathon block analysis 😁. Thanks for the well wishes. Happy to see you back running again - stay patient and keep it going. Plenty of examples to draw on from these parts where all seemed lost but patience got them back to where they were. You'll be back at your peak in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Between a 20 miler last Wednesday to two days in Fota with the family, to two days solo parenting three kids to a 14 mile session I'm pretty feckin shattered today! Roll on the shorter stuff in the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks P. Yep I am not too worried yet. I have no races lined up so no pressure on me which I'm grateful for. I'll take it day by day ☺️

You sound like you will need a holiday after this Easter break 😱

Great Limerick Marathon 2022 – Daniels 2Q Plan Week 15 – (07-Apr to 13-Apr)

I honestly cannot believe I'm just finished week 15!!!! Race number arrived this morning. Sh*ts getting real.

Thursday, Apr 7th

Plan: 150mins Easy

Actual: Rest

Completed the above run the day before to free up today as it was my wife's birthday. Finally had to opportunity to spend the Fota Resort Hotel/Wildlife voucher I got from my parents/sister for my 40th last year. A lovely gesture from them knowing I would value a gift that included my wife and kids. And what a couple of days it was! The kids had an absolute ball. The missus was spoiled (in as much as you can be spoiled with three kids wreaking havoc). They were superstars on day 1 in the hotel/pool/their own connecting room! Day 2 was a bit more "niggly" as they were pretty shattered after traipsing around the wildlife park.

Friday, April 8th

Plan: Easy

Actual: Easy 10 miles, 80mins, 8.00min/mile

Arrived back from Fota that evening and really enjoyed the "reset" run. I always find these runs help clear my mind after a pretty hectic few days with the kids.

Saturday, April 9th

Actual: Easy 10k, 50mins, 8.00min/mile

Got out early for this one as the missus was being sent away by me for the weekend to see Chicago in the Bord Gais with her sisters followed by an overnight stay up there. So I was taking on the challenge of solo parenting all three kids for the weekend...Something I was a bit apprehensive about but all went well. I even got them out and about both days for playground fun. Pretty wrecked Saturday night , got the last one up to bed and crashed soon after. Bed by 10pm, up at 5am for a feed, back to bed, up at 8am again to start into Day 2 of the solo effort.

Sunday, April 10th 

Plan: Easy with strides

Actual: Easy 10.2 miles incl. 8x20s Strides, 1hr22mins, 8.04min/mile average

The missus arrived home that evening and mercifully sent me straight out for my run and took care of bedtime. I had considered doing Mondays session today as I hadnt run a session since Wednesday but thought better of it considering the few days I had. This run went great. Felt really good. Windy as hell though. Where's the good weather gone!

Monday, April 11th

Plan: 6E/5x3min Interval off 2min/4E

Actual: 6E/5x3min Interval off 2min/4E

Shoe: Saucony Endorphin Speed

A very windy day which thankfully eased up that evening so by the time I got out it was decent weather conditions. This was the last of the VO2max sessions on the plan. I wont miss them. I'm all for VO2 max sessions but facing into them after what was at times 8 miles easy is just mentally tough. But I understand why. It makes sense and will hopefully help me come marathon day. All that being said, this was one of the more benign VO2 max sessions in the block. 5x3mins off 2mins is pretty manageable.

One thing I noticed on this session was the paces came to me easier than they were earlier in the plan. Not much of a struggle to smoothly hit 5.35/5.40 pace. Hopefully a sign on improved strength but hard to tell as this was off a 6 mile intro rather than the 8 miles earlier in the plan. This session went well. Glad to see the back of them though. Probably my least favourite session type in the Daniels 2Q plan. As I've said many times before I love the Endorphin Speeds for these sessions. Certainly a shoe i'll bring into 5k/10k training.

6E: 7.58/8.06/8.16/8.07/8.10/8.18

5x3mins (average paces for each): 5.36/5.37/5.36/5.32/5.38

4E: 8.22/8.33/8.25/8.26

Tired by the end and hamstrings stingy.

Total: 13.7 miles, 1hr48mins, 7.55min/mile average

Tuesday, April 12th

Actual: Easy 5.5 miles - 46mins, 8.21min/mile average

Tired and Leggy. Felt a little bit drained.

Had my last trip to physio for routine maintenance. He's happy. Didn't feel anything unusual in the hamstrings. Maybe they're weak. We'll find out on May 1st! He kicked the sh*t out of my calf muscles. Probably the most unpleasant experience I've had at a physio. I was sweating with the pain!

Wednesday, April 13th

Plan: Easy with strides

Actual: Easy 7 miles incl. 8x20s Strides - 58.30mins, 8.21min/mile average

Tired today. Probably a physio hangover. Strides had me feeling better. Laineys 80's playlist is a belter.

Planned mileage for the week: 54

Actual mileage for the week: 52.7 (20 miler was pulled into week 14 so planned total for the two weeks was 114 and actual was 118.7)

Time on feet: 7hrs 5mins

Miles in the block to date: 843

Number of MP miles: 73

Number of Threshold miles: 61

Comments

• A good week. There was obviously a lot going on with family but that's all good stuff and while it's a lot of work and can be stressful, give me that any day of the week. If my training suffers a bit for spending a mega few days with the wife and kids and away from work then that's 100% worthwhile. All the things we missed in lockdown (hotels, adventure parks, shows) were all caught up on in one crazy few days. The missus had a fantastic birthday so I'm a happy man. I'm also a lot more confident with minding the kids on my own now. Stress, recover, adapt 😂
    • The recovery from last weeks 20 miler was super this time. Zero issues. Right decision to drop the VO2 max session last week.

Next weeks sessions;

Q1: 1E/8M/1E/6M/1E

Q2: 1E/3x2T off 2min/60minE

The last of the big sessions. Q2 session is not exactly per the book. Because I started the plan midweek I've just needed to make some minor tweaks. The main thing I have maintained is the Daniels taper though so I worked back from race day and the 13 days prior the race day are as per the book. I also might run the Q2 session on Sunday rather than the usual Monday slot to start aligning with the Sunday race day. Will see how I feel at the weekend. Might keep me away from the chocolate on Easter Sunday.

2 weeks from this Sunday is marathon day!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

It's funny I loved the intervals sessions when doing the plan - I found the I/R paces easier to hit compared to the M sessions. The 14M miles you have up next was the workout I strugged with the most I think.

I'm probably a little biased as most of those sessions were in sh*te weather if I recall correctly. The session I have coming up looks easier than the straight up 14 miles at marathon pace from a few weeks back. I assume you found that one tougher?

Also how did you do off the plan in the main event?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I spent my afternoon in work reading this log from start to finish. Aww it's been a fantastic read, such detail in your posts, you can honestly feel how each training session and week went for you. Wishing you all the best for your marathon debut!

Thanks so much. How on earth did you complete it in one afternoon 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Ah that one was a 12M for me (40MPW plan) - it started off pretty well actually and then I fell and smashed my knees in the middle of it! Thankfully didn't impact my training apart from bloody knees and a bruised ego. Was hard to tell how to judge it because of that.

I averaged 5.35/km for the 14M and I struggled through it. That translated to 5.25/km on the day - so much better than I expected.

Advertisement