Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swashbuckler's Marathon Debut?

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’d imagine the next couple of years will be manic P but things will settle down at some point, though then you’ll have kids in different activities and will be finding ways to squeeze a run in during the activity … or get them to do athletics and you train at the same time. Hopefully you’ll still be able to do enough runs for headspace, if nothing else. I hope your wife is doing well and the birth goes very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you know its the right decision - not an easy one, but the right one.

We'll still keep in touch - runners have that bond for life, so I'll throw you the odd text - maybe next Christmas I'll beat you in the mileage challenge :) - enjoy the new lifestyle - if I ever get the courage to visit Limerick, I'll look you up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Big hugs P🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's a tough one P. It's impossible to prioritise everything, literally impossible. At the end of the day there are only so many hours in the day and you can't give the best of yourself to all the parts of your life. Hopefully you can find a way to give the best of yourself to the parts that matter the most while still giving a little of yourself to the other parts.... But take inspiration from the likes of @skyblue46 and @Murph_D who were probably 10yrs older than you are now when they discovered running and are now knocking it out of the park. Running will be waiting for you, it ain't going anywhere, just maybe right now you got to give more of yourself elsewhere. I hope the impending arrival all goes well and the new addition doesn't rock the boat too much, mind yourself and definitely don't be a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Enjoy the break from stressing about running, P - lets face it, thats what it becomes for substantial periods of time, a stress factor. You'll never get the young family years back, when they're gone, that's it....no second chance at it.

Even if you keep at it recreationally, you leave yourself a smaller hill to climb when life lest you do so....we spend years and years building fitness up, it doesn't disappear as fast as we think it does.

As someone who has kids a lot older than yours and is a good few years older than you are now, running will always be there for you - and there are plenty of aul lads around who still reckon they have a few PBs left in them too ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'm not around as long as some but it's been a pleasure for me following your log the last couple of years and really appreciated the input on my own log. Your legend status is secure I've no doubt. See you when we see you but best of luck with the birth and life in the meantime. You know, the most important things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Damn, the guilt now for winning that dodgy PotY contest.

Can't add much to the above. While you'll be missed around here, you're certainly making the right decision to step back. Great that your family life and career are going so well; a hiatus will do no harm at all in the long run.

All the best til we meet again, virtually or in reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks for the updates P. Sorry to see the running and logging taking a break, but maybe better to take some of the stress out of your life before the new arrival brings more joy back into it. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

@Swashbuckler I only got a quick chance earlier in the week to read your post and like it but no time to write you an actual reply. Your situation resonates very well with mine although I think you have a lot more going on than I do. I also have a new job which has seen me hitting some crazy hours with work but my kids I suspect are a little bit older than yours and I've maybe half the number of them that you do. Also caught a lot of sickenss over the last few months and I really don't get sick so it's been a bit of a drain tbh.

You've done the really hard thing which is looking at your life and making the right priority calls for you and your family and that's really what counts, at the end of the day family comes first and not everyone makes that decision and is at peace with it so you're in a good place. Sounds like you've a bit of FOMO though :-) and that's alight too, I really miss nighclubs and lazy Sundays but times change. Couple of people mentioned it above but you'll be back, when I started getting fit and into sport I couldn't imagine how I could fit it into my life but I did and as the kids got older you find ways and means and before you know it they'll be heading off places by themselves and some time will start to come your way.

Enjoy the running you can get in and the head space it gives you, you might not be in pb shape for a while but you'll get there again :-)

Sorry you didn't get poster of the year...next time I'm make sure to fiddle the results! Maybe see you out on the roads sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thanks for all the kind words folks.

On the plus side, little boy was born last night. Fine long legs on him. He can have my unused Alphafly when he's ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Class... congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted to hear your news P. Huge congrats. Enjoy the newborn cuddles and hope life with 4 kids isn’t too crazy!

Advertisement