Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We won't know how he looks in this fight until it happens.

He's been with Sanford since he went to the UFC and I think he's been meticulously prepared for every fight in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hes been very good so far but also show vulnerability

But he also comes across as a bit of a tos**r , He tries way to hard to be liked & is just cringe,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,071 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Im not sure how you’re still not grasping this.

He is not with Sanford for this fight. He appears to have no gym to prep. That is not “meticulous”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He may be unlikeable and cringey with zero charisma, but he has been impressive in any fight I’ve seen. His last fight his long legs and pin-point kicking alone made it very 1-sided. He will use same tactics in next fight against a better opponent but I expect he will win again. He is similar to the Wonderboy style that nearly won the title few years ago.

He's been caught with big shots in his early fights all left hooks, Was bloodied up in his first & dropped by Song , His last 2 fight have been impressive & he hasn't let his opponents get close enough to land any shots,

Luque will be looking for that left hook it'll be interesting to see if he can get close enough ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Wow, Garry and in particular his wife, are actually way worse than I thought.

You are not grasping what I'm saying. I said that in his UFC fights to date that he's been meticulously prepared.

I'm not talking about his next fight.

Hence what I said you were move if the goal posts.

The conversation that you joined was about now, his next fight. You said he is in a good gym now, and is working hard. He doesn’t appear to be.

I asked you repeatedly which hun you were referring to. You couldn’t answer.

At this point it’s pretty obvious that you didnt know and made an incorrect claim. Just own it instead of back pedalling.

I already admitted that I didn't know anything about him using another gym for this fight.

I said he'd worked in Brazil while with Sanford for the Magny fight. Because he worked in Brazil for the Magny fight I didn't see anything strange with him going there again.

I've read what Garry said about Renegade when he broke the news about them telling him he couldn't train there anymore. He blames Edwards' team for it. He said he was told it was because of Edwards that they told him he couldn't train there anymore. He was very respectful towards the gym and the coaches.

I can totally understand Renegade doing what Edwards wanted if that's what happened. He's the star of the gym, they don't want to fall out with him.

Edwards had a totally different story.

Are you going to take the word of one over the other?

Anyway he's in Brazil where he spent time earlier this year before dominating Magny.

If he goes and dominates Luque then nobody can have any complaints about his preparation.

If he loses then let the conspiracy theories take over.

I never moved the goalposts.

That's gas

How to be a wag, u literally can't write it but she did,

• Advertisement

Yeah. The phrase she wrote the book on it rings true here. Tbh I doubt Garry is the brightest, how he didn't see that walking red flag coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

He has been spouting some crap on his videos the past 24 hours. addressed a number of things

Including the Fields issue, what got me on this is Kavanagh throwing some shade on them aswell by "co-signing" the comment

Kavanagh is a p**ck, the same "god father of irish MMA" that wanted to charge Fields 10k up front for the SBG badge.

John trying his best for the new cash cow

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Kavanagh was praising him on the MMA hour. I'd say it's extremely likely he'll use SBG for his next camp if he fights in Ireland.

Doesn't look like Garry will, he is smart enough to know to be the best you need to be around the best, ok he is gym hopping currently by the looks of it but its better than sparring a few lads in SBG that work in Tesco full time.

On his Instagram he said he wants to buy in the UK, if he was asked "politely" not to train at Renegade, where does that leave him, Koabon?

By the sounds of it he wants to be a a lone wolf, so id say he will travel around and maybe do the last 3-4 weeks at Sanford ( providing nothing happened there)

He's still showing as being with Sandford/Killcliff on their website.

I could be wrong, but i'd say it's a similar capacity to Gunner showing as an SBG fighter

Well people here were surmising, more than surmising, that he fell out with Sanford. He wouldn't still be in their website as with them if they was the case.

He's done the same thing two fights running and that's go to Brazil. He said himself that he believes he'll be unstoppable if he's excellent at jiu-jitsu.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anyone know if Ian Garry is still on the Sandford website? 🙄

Rolly Eyes? While the conspiracy theories were in full flight I went to their website and he was still down as one of their fighters.

Of course that wasn't enough for some who opined that he only left them so.it mightn't be down yet. So here we are a week later and he's still on their website.

So either they are crap at updating their website, which seems very unlikely to me, or he is still with them.

He went to Brazil for jiu-jitsu, he said that, I didn't guess or make it up. I remember you said he wasn't there for jiu-jitsu, like you know more than him apparently.

I could put a rolly eyes in that comment of yours but I've a bit more respect for people than to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Whatever about the drama really looking forward to his next fight. Could not care less about his personal life, what his wife is like, or whatever.

He can be a bit cringe on the mic alright but to be fair the way he beat the absolute brakes off Magny, you couldn't not be hyped for the next one.

Found it amazing that some people were trying to detract from the Magny fight because he didn't get a finish. A lop-sided, complete and utter beatdown against a high ranked fighter.

• Advertisement

I dropped the last post, as you were denying that you were moving the goalposts, and seemed pointless. But now you're just making stuff up. There was so "surmising that he fell out with Sanford". It was pointed out that he was not training there, for obvious reasons. That is a fact, a fact you were oblivious of. Calling it a conspiracy theory is tinfoil hat stuff. It was plainly true.

Then you waded in with the "got himself into a good gym now" post. But you were unable to say what team that was. 🙄

It was clear you were talking about Sanford, when he wasn't training there. Eventually you admitted that you were unaware, but tried to back-peddle and say you were talking about the Magny fight. Despite the fact you clearly were not. That's moving the goalposts.

I said he is not with Sanford for this fight. No idea what still being on the website has to do with that. I wouldn't expect them to cut him from the website. My teammate was just in in Florida, training at Sanford, no sign of Garry obv. He might know if he is expected back.

Still unsure what good gym he is at now. We've all seen the same IG clips. A week in brazil isn't going to make him elite level in jiu jitsu. He'd probably progress faster training in the US without a language barrier. Saying he wants Maia to give him a blackbelt was kinda cringey. Saying he'll make a run a jiu jitsu worlds is delusuonal.

Mellir, you and me agree a lot more than we disagree and while we are in disagreement on this matter the conspiracy theory stuff was never aimed at you.

It was at those who said this happened to him at one gym so that's why he's not training with Sanford, because the same thing has happened.

I never heard him talking about Maia. That's new to me. I only heard gum talk about Vharles iveira

I'm sure his wife likes the idea of going to Brazil. I never thought about that until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

I just seen his wife's latest posts,

They really haven't read the room at all have they,

See says "of WE give you content " I think that's the trigger for the hate ,that she always has to be involved, we never hear from other fighter's wofes because the fans don't want that, It seems so forced ,

Even the training pics it's always 20 pr so men and Ian with his Wife and child it's staged and people don't like it

I'm not saying it's wrong but it's obvious people don't like how front & centre she is , Yous swear no other fighter's ever had a wife or child

Between gym hopping, their constant desire for attention on social media and all the back and forth over his wife I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Garry's preparations for this fight have been far from ideal.

All the while Luque, a genuine top 10 ranked fighter, has been training away with his established teammates and coaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I think he's a very good fighter but its a tough test. I didn't think he'd be such a strong favourite with the bookies.

Seems the whole of mma know about the WAG stuff now so I can't wait for the press conference. Surely colby and Paddy will be bringing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What's worse is that she compares herself to Caroline FLack, says that anyone creating content to criticise her is responsible for any reaction that she gets on social media

But then she essentially goads them with the whole "we give you content, you're welcome" stuff.

You can't have it both ways!

There's no doubt he's under the thumb and he's going to suffer in public in pre-fight banter because of it.

Thing is we don't know what she's like away from the media. She could very well be someone who builds up.his desire to win and demands discipline.

That wouldn't surprise me and he's her ticket to attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

This thread is full of whoppers, but having a hype-woman for a wife of a 26 year old top ten ranked UFC fighter wins it outright. The runner up is the great gym that I never heard about 2 months before.

Advertisement