Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

Stick to the slurs, they suit you better than idioms

• Registered Users Posts: 37,615 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You don't like it when you get told do you?

I never can fathom how somebody feels it's okay to give it but can't take it themselves

Tell us another story about how you are so athletic and inspire children to compete.

What's the pic of Sonnen about?

I'm not here to discuss my personal life in this thread.

This has nothing to do with mma or Ian Garry.

I'm not dealing with any more immature stuff.

Also, myself and MD are going at it for 15+ years every now and then. Neither of us ever take it personally.

You had no need to go jump in as his protector, he's well capable of doing that himself.

And I have great respect for the guy.

What's the pic of Sonnen about?

I've no interest in educating you about about the sport outside of the UFC, go look it up yourself

I'm not here to discuss my personal life in this thread.

In this very thread

I train kids in multiple sports. I work a lot with gifted kids and try and build a desire in them and get them to work hard.

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to do MMA but I had ability. I was messing around with an MMA fighter when I was 29 years old. He was trying to pin me down but couldn't because I had good movement with every part of my body.

As for the rest, I'm glad your not dealing with any more immature stuff. It might be worth spending that time popping into one of the 25 Down Syndrome Ireland branches around the country. You'll find their location here https://downsyndrome.ie/our-branches/ and you can find out about the great work they do here https://downsyndrome.ie/what-we-do/

It might help stop you using disgusting slurs

Edit: Adding for context

Post edited by barryribs on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Oh just noticed it’s only available on box office, won’t be watching live so. ☹️

I couldn't believe that when I read your post but then it came to me. Leon is a Brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I think it’s a fantastic card.

Leon v Colby is an excellent title fight. The press conference stuff has made it even more interesting. Colbys pressure vs Leon’s striking, I think Colby will get it done but I am biased in his favour.

Pantoja v Royval will probably be fight of the night. Expecting a back and forth war.

Dying to see Shavkat again and if he does decide to keep it standing Wonderboy will pose problems. His distance control and awkward style are tricky for anyone. Would be a shock if he wins but would love to see it.

Hope Tony beats Paddy, can’t stand him. Don’t see it though, he’s too old and past it.

If Mitchell can avoid the big KO shot from Emmett I expect him to do similar to what he did against Barbosa and grind out a decision.

Some solid undercard fights as well

Geoff Neal lined up for him at 299, a much harder fight given he won't have a massive size advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most people don't associate retard with down's syndrome anymore. To the point that I'd be shocked (and a bit disgusted tbh) if people automatically made that connection when they hear the world.

Obviously I'm aware that it has it's origins in the medical field. As were moron, idiot, imbecile. Ironically those words were considered offensive in the 50s and replaced with retard. Which in turn was replaced with handicapped, which is on its way out now too as considered offensive as it refers to the medical implication.

Language is cyclical. If issue is not the word, but the way in which people use them. Huge difference in using the word in reference to a random idiotic sportsperson and a person with a mental disability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Do you think Neil is an harder or easier match up than Luque ? I know he knocked Luque out but he also got beat by Magny ,

I think Neal's power, takedown defense and his boxing are going to be a problem. Both are much better barometers to see where he lies in the division than Magny

Neal has struggled with taller fighters, Holland , Magny, Rakmonov , Even Thompson who is only 6ft but fight's long ,

Garry will be aware of that and enjoys fighting at range, He seems to get caught with left hooks when he loses his distance

And should have probably lost to Ponzinibbio too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So where does Garry go now? Surely he doesn't go back to Sandford MMA after Brendan Allen publically talking sh*t about him and the whole Jason Jackson thing? Will he have to find a new gym full-time I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭US3

Why wasn't the Luque fight rescheduled and why nearly 4 months away if it was just a flu. Seems strange.

It should have never been booked to begin with

They are teams mates and there was no hype or talk of it at all until all the stuff about Ian & his wife came out,

The Neal fight was already supposed to happen but Neal got injured and you'd imagine he was on the phone begging Dana for the fight after the t-shirt thing, that of course Ian said was his wifes idea

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Usually you turn into an arrogant arsehole after you become champ, but this fella is already an absolute diva, pissing off renowned coaches before he scratches top 10. Its a pity, with the right guidance he could be a hell of a talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

It would seem he's not popular there either... if he has some kind of setup in Brazil that works for him he should probably stay there and be consistent, rather than gym hopping every 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The gym hopping doesn't seem to be by choice. He's been an absolute diva his entire pro career. How he behaved in KF was apparently despicable. His manager has a serious grip on him, so much so he has apparently now stopped speaking with his family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭505_

Crazy he put that hype video out two days before the fight or something. Surely he’d have known at that stage he was doubtful to make it.

Is his partner his manager? She certainly seems to have control over him.

I'd wonder if she's behind all this stuff? Imagine he comes home and says he likes a new coach, she'd be afraid he would start taking advice from him so kicks it off.

I'm only surmising here but she does seem to be a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Seem's Ian's been badly advised again by his Wife,

His latest post about Strickland seem very badly timed,

Strickland got a lot of admiration & sympathy opening up about his childhood trauma & Ian or his wife took that as the time to clap back & say the shoes ion the other foot the post wasn't even smart or witty ,

Ian only a few months ago calling out tried to cancel Mangy for saying he'd whoop his kids ass in a figure of speech, then has a go at a man talking about a horrific & troublesome child hood, Scream's of his wife trying to get one up on Sean for him slagging her off,

Bad timing & not ereaidng the room well ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Between the two of them they've managed to turn Garry into one of the most universally disliked fighters in MMA.

You can try manufacturer a personality , All you can do is lean into the one you already have ,

She started with the goal of making him into the next Conor but you can;t just create that Conor had charisma & was brash & quick witted, Ian is a nice lad who is trying hard to be something he is not & its cringe and see through ,

Fully agree with that. He let the human side out when talking about his partner and child and how much he loves them and how important they are in his life.

This isn't him, as said above he's been badly advised and it's got to be his partner.

Talking about his family is something you don't often hear from MMA fighters. He could be the cool, clean hero if he was left alone.

The original statement that Team KF put out at the time of the split was telling. He completely changed when she got in his ear.

Anyone see his recent MMA hour interview , he;ls clearly reading scripted parts written from something below him,

Also the long pause when Ariel says you said you wanted to be a disrupt-er so after the Magny stuff surely you expected things back , Awkward long pause

• Advertisement

Advertisement