Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I see Cork airport are expanding (rightly so). And hey are floating the idea of bringing back flights between Cork and Dublin.

Isn't there a train that goes from city centre to city centre that would be faster and "greener" than flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Cork is trying to become an alternative to Dublin for more MNC's, I expect that is why they want more flights and transatlantic flights to Cork

Would it not be "greener" for people to fly direct than flying to Dublin to then travel down?

Im also sure plenty of options are "possible". In terms of trains when anyone tries to do anything with trains people moan and complain we are spending too much on them and would "someone not build a road"

No problem flying direct to Cork. I'm in agreement that the airport there should do more. I'm questioning, which you've missed, the need for internal flights between Dublin and Cork. France for example are trying to ban internal flights. We've a good rail link between the 2 cities and an excellent motorway. I seen a tweet earlier estimating that the drive from Cork to Dublin would have half the emissions than a flight. It's on the basis of these points I question the internal flight idea

This is DAA, an airport authority which makes money from planes flying.

Honestly, what did you think they would come out with?

It's find a new reason to whinge to be honest. Next you will be posting and complaining that Irish Rail said they wanted to run more trains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭creedp

What the **** are you on about? Jesus Christ. Who is whingeing? I said I'd question the wisdom of flights between Cork and Dublin. We're allegedly in a climate emergency. Is adding flights between these 2 cities a good idea when we have an excellent road and excellent rail service to move people between the 2 for cheaper and for less emissions? I've said, twice now, that expanding the service in Cork is a good idea but not starting a route up to Dublin. **** hell. Is Clo short for clown because you're acting like one.

First time, maybe second. It's disappointing that you don't read what I posted, then go off on a different trajectory. Or misunderstand what I said but don't acknowledge the misstep when corrected. Doubly so when you actually post logical stuff for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

My suspicion is they want airlines to convert some US-Dublin routes to US-Cork-Dublin, as a new purely US-Cork route would need extra aircraft.

• Advertisement

I read it, didn't need to go personal like most of you lot on here once anyone doesn't agree with you.

You quoted an article from DAA who gets paid with aircrafts in the Sky. Hardly news to say they would like more airplanes in the Sky.

What did you think DAA would say? no it's grand we have enough flights and really should reduce them?

In terms of Cork, with the MNC in Cork and hopefully more then direct transatlantic flights would make sense if they can fill the planes, also make the area around Cork more viable for companies but also from a tourism point of view

Again, you didn't read it. sigh

DAA wanting more planes is not news. They should have more planes into Cork and Shannon for example. Even Dublin should have more into it if it has the capacity to carry them.

My issue, which you have missed umpteen times now (and i got personal (not sorry) due to you're inability to read/understand what I said repeatedly) is that reintroducing flights between Cork and Dublin shouldn't happen. France are banning internal flights and it's a hell of a lot bigger than Ireland. We've excellent road and rail connections between the 2 cities which would get you to either in a comparable time, at less cost and much less emissions. Adding routes to Europe and maybe the US from Cork makes sense to avoid dragging plane loads of people up to Dublin on the aforementioned roads and rail.

Maybe. Don't think I'd be up for that as a good plan either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The DAA own both Cork and Dublin airports. From their perspective Cork bleeds huge transfer pax to Heathrow and Schiphol for flights that could be catered to from Dublin, an Aerlingus ATR from Cork to Dublin would get a smallish percentage of those transfer passengers to stay within their airports and would also not impact their creative accounting on the passanger cap. If the route was to ever start again it would be easily 95% plus using it for transfers, given the other options available it would be completely impractical to fly from Dublin to Cork P2P.

I haven't missed the point, the article says they are maybe reintroducing internal flight, they are also saying they will maybe introduce transatlantic. This makes sense with you have MNC in Cork, nobody wants to fly to Dublin and then get a bus/taxi to a train station, to then get a train, to then get a taxi to an office. So either have connecting flights for business users or direct flights

I had the misfortune of taking the internal flights before from Dublin to Cork for specific business reasons and it was pointless. So I have never used again and prefer to take the train.

If you want more MNC's to base in Cork and outside Dublin, then you will need to cater for these people correctly. If you had a train direct from Dublin airport to Cork this would be excellent but we don't. So either a direct flight or a interconnecting flight from Dubli

Personally I don't think interconnecting flights is the option and instead direct flights to Cork from the US would make a lot more sense

Asking the DAA any question as I posted, they will always respond with more flight, they are not going to say get on the train if you want to get from Dublin to Cork.

The DAA are questionable as well, I have flew out twice in last month for work(Paris & SOuthampton), both Aerlingus, so we walk to the gate in T2, then sit around, then are brought outside to get put on a bus, this takes you around the airport, to bring you to another place to get out, stand in another queue to then walk out and get onto the plane :-) now I guess this is because they want people to use T2 for check in etc but such a waste of time and resources to end up shipping everyone back to T1 to get onto a plane

Are we in agreement that Dublin-Cork flights is pointless?

We don't have a train between airports so direct flights from outside Ireland into Cork is a good idea. Internal flights not so much.

Currently transatlantic flights for MNCs in Cork is fly to Dublin/Shannon and then drive or PT to Cork. Or maybe fly into the UK/EU and then connect to Cork. We're probably covered if driving/PT isn't favourable. Plenty of airports outside the island would do the connection into Cork.

Internal flight don't make sense to me, direct flights into Cork would be better for transatlantic. If the plan is to get more MNC into Cork.

So I think we have come to an agreement

I do think if you ask DAA any question the answer will always be more flights.

I don't think it's pointless, it will suit some people better to fly to Dublin to connect to the US as opposed to flying to London or driving to Dublin. It's not that big of a deal, it would probably only be 10 ATR flights a week. We are never going back to the days of multiple airlines competing on the route with 500k passengers a year like there was in the pre M8 days.

The point is direct flights from Cork would be a better idea than flying from Cork to Dublin

People who live in Ireland have trains/roads already provided. Even tourists can use the train

So really it would be only for business users who of course would prefer a direct flight. So as they are upgrading Cork already then it makes more sense and easier to attract MNC if they have direct flight

It's debatable whether Cork Airport's runway can handle even modern narrow body jets operating at a full load to and from the East Coast. For whatever reason Cork Airport and the DAA have not included a runway extension, which would allow airlines to comfortably and profitably operate long haul flights, in any future plans. Attracting airlines to fly to the US from Cork in that environment has proved to be a tough sell I don't see that changing, maybe Cork can get seasonal infrequent flights to Boston or New York but that's the best case scenario until the DAA take infrastructure upgrades to facilitate long haul seriously. Maybe if the population and pax keep increasing they will look to make the necessary upgrades as part of plan to target American and Middle Eastern Airlines but that's 20 years away being implemented all going well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There really isn't space to extend the runway. Land drops away both ends; North end is practically in the city as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That was a PR puff peice! He mentions a 787 with 300 pax… that has no hope of taking off from corks runway fueled for the east coast of the US!

Norwegian couldn’t make it work on the 73M and often had fuel stops along the way because of weight penalties out of ORK, same would apply for the 321LR (I think that was a consideration when the route was abandoned).

One aircraft that prob can do it was mentioned, the 757…. But those are old, expensive to operate and getting rarer and rarer as the years go by. The only airlines in the conversation that still operate them are Delta and United. UA have started withdrawing them in place of new A321LR’s and although DL have no retirement plans, they have been removed from international service!

There is significant land zoned for a runway extension but no actual plans to develop: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/attachments/1630362448210-png.1984760/

There was a report done on the feasibility in 2009:

http://corkcocoplans.ie/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/2016/07/Airport-SLAP-Sept-2010.pdf

It has been a long standing objective of Cork Airport to commence the operation of long haul and transatlantic flights, increasing the sectors served from Cork and enhancing the airport’s competitive position and the realisation of this objective necessitates an extension to the main runway 17-35. IDA Ireland have emphasised the importance of the availability of long haul and transatlantic destinations from Cork to attracting Foreign Direct Investment and equally the potential benefit to the tourism industry in the South-West Region has been cited by Fáilte Ireland, amongst others.

3.7.2. As discussed in Section 1, a study on the impacts of the extension of runway 17-35 was undertaken in 2009 to bring more certainty to the location and extent of the proposed runway extension. Having examined the options available this study concludes that an extension to the northern end (runway 17 end) of 247m is the preferred option, having assessed a range of impacts including impacts on the local community, land fill requirements and runway navigational aids.

Post edited by snotboogie on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@roosterman71

Maybe. Don't think I'd be up for that as a good plan either

Trying to work out how it would make any economic sense. In the past I would have done Dublin-Shannon if I could but I am clearly in the minority..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What was it DaCor used to say, that there is no alternative, no going back?

Its funny what can happen when folk are looking down the barrel of an election.

Don't know why he's worried as when the NRL was in peril last year, he and the greens here said they would implement their own version of it regardless of the EU. Nevertheless, politicians facing being booted out on their arse is one way to try keep on the side of the electorate. Minister Ryan needn't worry as he'll probably be reelected but others in his party may not have the same support

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

Considering the compliants from sparsely populated north country Dublin around their second runway, I can't see the residents of Cork city being too impressed with a northern extension to theirs.

It's not that sparsely populated, Swords is less than a kilometre from the second runway. A second runway is also going to drive considerably more traffic than an 250m extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Someone needs to have a word with Germans. Not only they go back to coal now they are trying to toss wrench in our green leader's plan...

Advertisement