Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do teachers dispute the two-tier pay scale?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

There we go personal insults again and accusations....

I am belittling nothing, its a hard job I have no want or ability to do. Just like she couldn't do mine.

Teachers are not all the same, perhaps those working late are simply bad at time management or inexperienced. Just like any job later is not harder.

I wouldn't do CPD outside of work hours. No chance

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

I would if it gave me 5 extra days off a year.

Personal choice for all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭cms88

So you're told something that's actually happened and you still find a way to deny it.

As for primary school teachers ''working'' into the evening. My local one most teachers arrive about 10 minutes before school starts and the car park is empty by 3;30.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,257 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And what are you doing to able to know when all the teachers are coming and going. You must have an easy life!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

It might come as a surprise but i pass it in the morning going to work and at times pass it in the afternoon. But just ignore that and keep telling yourself teachers ''work'' late into the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Seriously funny how teachers do work in evening and people comment that is either a lie or bad time managmement, yet loads of them in other threads going on about how they bring work home. Must be bad time mamagememnt all those people in offices who constantly tell us they bring work home too. Only reason it got brought up ws an incorrect comment on teaching hours but sure Im thinking I might have a better idea being a teacher and knowing quite a few of them but sure whatever, just watch those knickers getting in a twist.

And being a teacher you're of course going to say that. Like plenty in the public sector you tell yourself whatever you like to make yourself fell better, no matter how many people show you examples otherwise.

It's also funny to see teachers say others get their knockers in a twist. Is there anyone who does that more than teachers? Vry few have complained more than them in the last 18 months. Or is this one of those times when it's unions who apparently don't replacement them are saying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Getting knockers in a twist is awkward with the bra n all. Funny how teacher bashers go out of their way to dispute every statement by teachers but sure the chip on the shoulder is a heavy burden. Says a lot about a mindset when teachers looking for safe classrooms in apandemic for children is twisted to be complaining but show how little people care for children it seems.

Ah the classic copy and paste teacher reply. Again funny to hear teachers talk about others dispute what they say when they do the same. If teaching is so terrable why keep at it?

Who were teachers worried about when they demanded to be up top of the list for vaccinations? Until they of course hid behind the unseal ''it was the unions who wanted it not us''

Or how pregnant teachers became worried 2 weeks before schools reopened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Well, the first line of this is very very inaccurate. Being married to a teacher and having two siblings as teachers, there is at very most, an hour of after class work done any evening The only ones 'working long into the evening' are giving grinds and running paid after-school clubs for cash.

You can shout that I've a 'chip on my shoulder' (probably do) or that for some inexplicable reason I've made this up about my own family, but them is the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Khalessi is very concerned about observing Ramadan, you see.

The fact is, there is a two tier pay scale everywhere in society. Someone who entered a job 20 years ago is likely to have much better pay and conditions than their counterpart, with the same expertise and experience, who entered a year ago. The difference is teachers had a say in this when it changed for them, which they deny time and time again.

This point is totally moot anyway. No more money should be put in to salaries in education until resources in education are up to scratch. Infrastructure, staffing (including non- teaching related positions such as IT), FULL IT LITERACY AND EQUIPMENT for all teaching staff. Education sector salaries are not even a tiny priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

How would you assess the performance of a teacher, with regards to paying them more than a colleague?

Likewise a nurse?

Or a guard?

Or a hospital consultant?

What metrics would you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

A quick Google of the above will throw up many different metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

How does one do this for any job? It's not rocket science, you set priorities and then evaluate the employees impact against those priorities taking into account their ability to make impact (which changes depending on cases for guards or pupils for teachers).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

So tell me, how do you evaluate a teacher's performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I always thought myself that some of the career teacher bashers must have had a hard time at school or something and are trying to get back via the keyboard now that they are grown up and out of school.

My best friend didnt get on with aa few of the teachers in opur school and he spends an obscene amount of time theses days complaining about teachers. We haven been in school for about 35 years.

Using the industry defined methods used to evaluate every other job that I outlined? You're essentially implying that they don't know how to evaluate teachers which is untrue, private institutions have been paying teachers per performance since forever with the best teachers getting paid very large amounts and bad teachers losing their jobs, the institute is an example in Dublin which hires the best teachers and poor performing teachers are let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

But how do you evaluate a teacher's performance? The results of their students? How many of their students got 100 points for their respective subject in the LC?

There was a teacher in my school who was regarded as one of the best chemistry teachers around because of how well his students did. The reality is that he was complete and utter sh1te. All of his students got grinds because they were afraid of failing and luckily enough, there was an amazing grinds teacher in the same town who gave grinds for all of his students. But it was the teacher who got the 'glory' of having so many A1 students.

How do you define how good a salesperson is? One could get the big account with the easy to manage customer and the other could get multiple smaller hard to manage customers. A good manager/leader will understand the impact of each salesman given their expected performance. This can be done with teachers as well, how long would it take a good principal to find out that an entire class of students is getting grinds?

This is how performance evaluation works, teachers shy away from it and their lowest common denominator (bad teacher whose students get grinds) drags them all down.

How does the institute figure out which teachers to hire and which to fire?

Evaluating impact of an employed individual is known, as you allude to, for teachers it is not all about the grades the class get for an abundance of reasons, however, the grades they are expected to get and whether the teacher exceeds that expectation can be one metric used to measure performance (after all, we're allowing teachers to give all their students expected grades now, do the same next year and compare it to what the students actually achieve, don't tell the teachers that it's being done though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Measuring teacher performance by student outcome is such a bad idea. Measure by other metrics if you can but not by student outcome. Way too open to abuse and poor educational outcomes for the students as well as the impact it'd have on extra curricular and school activities.

I would argue that student outcomes are a key part of a teachers performance but is not solely a measure of the grades achieved by students, but of what they are typically expected to attain and the teachers performance against that metric. And that also this should be one of a number of metrics.

Again, the institute only goes after the best teachers, how do they make this judgement? The public service would not accept any such change but it would reward the better teachers in a more fair way than tenure length. It is manifestly unfair that a brilliant teacher with 5 years experience gets paid less than a bad teacher with 15 years experience.

Measuring productivity in a job is not hard, it doesn't always get it right, but the cream will tend to rise to the top. Length of tenure is an awful way to do things and doesn't encourage the behaviors that are desired in educators.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Who decides what they(students) are typically expected to attain? By what metricis that measured?

The Institute does not have as diverse a student population as a typical school. They ( from my understanding) are more about academic results than a holistic approach to education. I certainly don't want our education system to become a series of grinds factories. Do you? Education and indeed school life, is about so much more than results. I also would like to kno how we know they only go after the best teachers? Who decides that? What is "best" in that context?

You keep saying it is not hard to measure productivity in a job, yet ypu have not outlined howit canbe done in education. If it could be done fairly I'd welcome it. I just can't see how it can.

I've outlined a number of ways, you're digging more and more into the implementation of those ways (what expected results to measure against) but none of these are rocket science to figure out, falling back on the lazy "not all pupils are the same, not all schools are the same" isn't an answer, it's an excuse. Do the teachers themselves feel unable to proffer an opinion on which teachers in the school are better than others? How are they being tasked with doing the same for pupils if they can't do that?

The institute goes after the best teachers and hires them privately, those that don't "make the grade" lose their job at the institute, they can measure teachers performance effectively.

What is definitive is that tenure is not a measure of which teachers are best at their job.

You can also measure teachers performance on "enhancing school life", look, you've identified a great other measure on how to rate teachers, I'm sure you can come up with some more easily enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I work with children with AEN. I'd be very interested in how you think "payment for results" would work for me. Children with AEN can find it hard to find a school place, imagine if schools were told staff pay would be cut if all children didn't hit a particular target ? As to " The Institute" -hardly inclusive and hardly holistic.

So..in short... you can't answer my questions. How do you allow for special educational needs, behaviour issues, class sizes, students taking up new subjects, students moving schools, teachers on leave, picking up another teacher's class, teaching subjects they aren't qualified in, DEIS schools, ESL students, programmes such as LCA, TY....etc etc etc

As regards measuring other teacher's performance, I wouldn't know how most of my colleagues do. I know about two bad teachers because students have complained about them for years. To be fair one was given a different type of timetable two years ago and seems to be doing much better. The other can't/won't change. No, it isn't good enough. I don't defend bad teachers. I don't mind a system being created to weed out bad teachers, but it'd probably not be fair. How coul it be?

As regards measuring our students, teachers argued against predicting grades for our students. You only have to look at the level of grade inflation this year and last, to see that as a whole we couldn't accurately do it for a myriad of reasons.

Also as regards measuring teacher performance on "enhancing school life". All that stuff is voluntary. Linking it to pay now would be cynical in the extreme. Let alone the mess you would have of overload of activities and clashes on the school calandar as people tried to reach some perceived acceptable level of involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I didn't go to my office for a year, but I did a shed load of work, and so did a large part of the workforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Simple metrics can be implemented.

A students ability can be monitored in primary school or in entrance exams, this will give an indication what level the pupil is at.

If this level isn't consistently maintained or the pupil slips down, then the problem lies with the teacher.

Teachers have it extremely easy in this country. It should be much harder to become one and much easier to lose the cushy job.

Advertisement