Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭older by the day

There was a letter from the department about the new cap payments in 23. Is this some type of reference year for organic nitrogen? I must read it again. If I cut back this year will it mean I will have to reduce my fertilizer amount next year

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

It's looking like it will play right into the greens hands so. I can't really cut things a whole lot more here I'm lowly stocked on overall farm ,milking oad so upping output not an option.

I have good few heifers coming on next year so bottom 20/25% of the herd will be up the ramp in September/ October.

You would think a lot of suckler cows and poor performing dairy cows will be culled after this year and it may be a bit of a drag on beef prices.

But who knows what way lads might be thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

In fairness to contractors too some risk in doing work this year and maybe not getting paid for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Impress me with what you know. 🙃

Paddocks have been grazed already in jan/feb.

No nitrogen so far. Got 2,600 gallons of slurry before grazing alright, gypsum and gran lime end of last year.

First spray of minerals of the year. No fert yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Good land though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No it is not. What will happen is this year's stock numbers will decide the amount N you are allowed if you opt for N limits for a target in the new eco scheme

Slava Ukrainii

I bought the last of my fertlizer requirements this morning I had 50% bought end of January I bought 3T of urea, half of it protected urea and 2T 18-6-12. Nearly 8.5k spend on fertlizer this year. Over double what I spend last year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Sure that’s there every year, which is why we have a reserve of silage in the yard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

I bought the last of mine this morning too..well most of it paid for in last few weeks. Don't know if it will do me especially if we get drought that we had over the last few years.

Say my name.. very impressed with your input...I know I farm conventional but I would be open to change. Your land is similar to mine and like yours mine was grazed with sheep in January and February but no growth like yours. Mine still have good covers but as I said not as good as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I will say this if you are starting down that route. Start with calcified seaweed as the base and then foliar after.

And I'm using no dissolved urea but you have to play what's in front of you and use your judgement.

But it's hearing dawg using the gypsum. You take the advice where you can.

I've even thrown white lime in the mix and you'd see a difference too.

Even that slurry I added compost into the slurry before agitation and spreading.

But it's all with an eye to seeing if I can go organic and keep the stocking rates. And even if I miss the target I'm future proofing myself against any possible future developments.

It's taken me four years to get here. Every year did get a little bit better though.

And another with the cows you're not grazing to the floor like conventional farmers need to. With pure npk fert the need is there to floor it but with this a bit left means it grows back faster and you're never worried about a wig of grass being rejected and the topper brought out. As the N is not really in the grass proper or it's a different type of N. They'll still floor it if you want without affecting performance or roaring at you over the gate. But a bit left means it's available to take more foliar in faster and grow back faster. ..I'm hardly able to make sense of any of that myself now. It's different is all and takes years.

And now I've jinxed myself in my work..😃

Everyone figures out their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

If there is any silver lining to the sh1t that is going on its that the environmental fundamentalists have been bumped off the front pages and headline news and it is hurting them.

Gibbons reckons the war is only affecting a tiny amount of people compared to global warming or whatever they call it now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Greens still managing to block the gas terminal being built tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭ginger22

In the Sunday Business Post today.

All Irish farmers will be asked to plant some of their land in wheat, barley and other grains, as part of emergency plans being drawn up by the government to offset a predicted food security crisis in Europe amid Russia’s ongoing assault on Ukraine, the Business Post understands.

It comes as the EU plans to introduce emergency measures to slash its energy dependence on Russia by rebuilding its reserve stocks of gas and oil, while also turning to alternative sources of energy commodities in other parts of the world. The Irish government, meanwhile, plans to bring in a “swing mechanism” for excise duty on fuel that means it would fluctuate in value depending on when oil prices go up or down in a bid to keep prices somewhat stable at the pumps.

While the focus of European leaders is on responding to the humanitarian crisis created by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and in punishing Vladimir Putin’s regime through financial sanctions, they are also bracing for major disruptions to both food and energy supply chains as Russian forces escalate their assault on several Ukrainian cities.

In Ireland, Charlie McConalogue, the Minister for Agriculture, has assembled an emergency team within his department to develop a new scheme to encourage farmers to grow significantly more native grains this year in a bid to offset the likely shortfall in grain supplies from the Black Sea region, which accounts for about a third of the world’s wheat production.

The last time the country introduced such a measure was during World War II when tillage rules meant every farmer in the country had to plant at least one acre of land in crops to support food supplies. Similar steps were also taken during World War I.

Ireland imports about 60 per cent of the five million tons of grain it consumes each year, with most of it used in animal feed and some in human foodstuffs. Ukraine is Ireland’s largest supplier of maize corn, which is used in animal feed, while Russia is also a major supplier of chemical fertiliser.

The Business Post understands McConalogue wants to see the scheme rolled out rapidly as the window for planting spring crops closes in the next six weeks or so.

“Food is our most crucial resource in such times and Irish farmers are world leaders in the production of safe, sustainable and healthy food,” a spokesman for McConalogue said.

The move comes as the EU prepares to introduce emergency measures to shore up its energy supplies in the likely event that Europe will be cut off from Russian gas supplies altogether in the coming months, whether through choice or through retaliatory sanctions from Russia.

Russia accounted for almost 50 per cent of natural gas imports in Europe last year and 25 per cent of crude oil imports. It also accounts for close to 50 per cent of EU coal imports.

Some member states are more dependent on Russia for their energy security than others, with Germany importing up to 70 per cent of its natural gas and 25 per cent of its crude oil needs from the country.

To mitigate this exposure, the EU plans to restock gas storage facilities on the continent in advance of next winter, increase the volume of liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports, and solidify energy solidarity agreements between member states that should result in more balanced rationing in the event of shortfalls.

The emergency proposals will also include new tools for member states to help alleviate the pressure of ongoing energy inflation on households.

As markets continue to price in the full impact Russia’s invasion of Ukraine will have on global supplies of key commodities, oil and gas prices have soared to record highs in the past week, which will further drive up costs for European households.

The Business Post has learned that the Irish government is planning to introduce a “swing mechanism” for excise duty on fuel that will fluctuate in value depending on when oil prices go up or down. The government is prepared to cut excise duties on fossil fuels like petrol and diesel, particularly if prices continue to rise beyond a threshold of €2 per litre at the pumps.

Additionally, Eamon Ryan, the Minister for Energy and Climate, said the government plans to release 227,000 barrels of oil from the state’s national oil reserves as part of a global effort to release 60 million reserve barrels and ease the pressure on global energy markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Putins done more in a week to focus 1st world governments minds on food security then under normal circumstances what would be a generation, the green lobby in this country are about to go very quiet by the looks of things

They were told often enough about what they were doing to the world's food security. Will this bring the re-wilding craze to an end so....

Must ask if we can drain and plant the SAC commonage.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Green Core thought it was a great idea to kill the Irish malt and the sugar beet industry. Only if we had it now we be in a great position. All the jobs both of these industries provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

There is hardly much spare capacity to harvest and dry much additional cereals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Or contractors to sow/ manage them

Theirs a yard beside us that's been mothballed the past 10 years was used for malting barley for Guinness, now its a warehouse depot for a haulage company, circa 12,000 ton capacity I think can't remember exactly used to work summers their and top of the range drying system fully integrated to fill the 3 storage sheds with elevators was only in use for 3 years when it was parked up, its only a drop in the scheme of things but its their all the same

Theirs plenty of capacity machinery wise out their with the kit lads are running nowadays, where does Charlie reckon the fertilizer especially along with to a lessor extent seed and sprays is going to come from, 20 litre drum of roundup is circa 260 euro at the minute, to get any uptake at all in getting extra acres into cereals they'd need to be making payments of 400 euro a acre upfront to entice lads,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭ginger22

But the power that be think they can use and abuse farmers any way they like. They dont care if its profitable or not. They think we should twist and turn to suit their agenda. Can you imagine last that havent grown cereals in living memory to be now expected to.

Very little compared to 30 years ago. All imported now

They will probably use the stick approach and tie it to your sfp, with a mandatory requirement for 5% of farmed area in crops, where the inputs are ment to come from is still the million dollar question

They are spoilt because the farmers always deliver and they know that. If it means taking on another job to subsidize the farm, sending the wife out to work, working with inferior equipment, working 100 hours a week, the farmer always delivers. Well, maybe it's time to leave them phuck off and let them plant a south facing window box.

It's not going to be practical to achieve this if I understand it correctly. For example if a farmer had 100 acres of grass land, he is expected to sow 5 acres of corn. That's not going to be very efficent. I know we maybe in unprecedented times and all that.

Post edited by Fine Day on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

No way is it achievable in my area or in south Kerry overall. We have the land to grow good crops and the machinery to get it in the ground and sprayed.

It's the combines and handling of the grain afterwards. Few old classic combines around and that's it. Corn grown locally is more a hobby really. I suppose people would gear up in time for harvest if the acres were there. Concentrate on the areas with the equipment and expertise already.

Advertisement