Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Nephin (806m) in Co. Mayo awoke to its first white dusting of the season this morning. (It was December 3rd last year just as a by the way!)

It's near neighbour Bireencorragh (698m) also in the Nephin Beg range and not in the pics below is also donning a nice new white coat on its upper slopes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

Still have the summer blanket on the bed. Was freezing trying to sleep!

The chillblaines have returned :(

You are brave.. My spare winter blanket was on the side and found its way over me one night a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yesterday definitely felt like coldest day of winter it was absolutely baltic!

I'm surprised max temperature reached 10 in a lot of places but obviously there was a very significant wind chill factor in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

There was a snow shower a while ago, started out as sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Wanlockhead head, County Down recorded a gust of 140km/h last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

November has been remarkably dry. Surely one of the driest on record?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

November 2021 rainfall totals (mm) to 26th and the respective station's driest November to compare. Currently the driest on record to 26th at Dublin Apt, Casement and Cork Apt.

Thanks for this Syran. Looks like we might just about beat that record in Cork! Bit of rain forecast for the next few days but totals are low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Rainfall for Dunsany sitting at 23.6mm and November is almost over, an incredibly dry month. This could be the second driest month of the year if we get little rain between now and Tuesday. The mean temperature has fallen by over 1C over the past week and now sitting at 8.0C, still 1.3C above average. Friday and today have been very cold (no higher than 4C on both days here) and tomorrow will be the same so I think we will be into the 7s by Monday before a brief lift up in the mean temperature occurring on Monday and Tuesday.

Storm Arwen may not have delivered much in terms of precipitation here but the cold has certainly been a bit more than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes the cold ain't going to extreme mild yet. It gets mild to 12 or 13c around Tuesday or Wednesday but back to 8c after that and even lower mid December could we possibly get snow before Xmas.

There was a dusting on Ben Bulben today

Hearing rain sideways on the window in sudden gusts rather then a sustained wind, and it does not feel as cold

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Does anyone know which planet is shining bright low to the horizon these nights? I only see it when driving away from my house but it looks to be in the South/South-West direction.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

There is the actual treat of three planets in the evening and early night sky at the moment. I reckon the one that you are seeing is Venus, which appears to us as the brightest but is also the lowest and first to disappear in the early night not too long after sunset. It is quite stunning as the light fades out of the southwestern sky.To its left (and a little higher) and looking to the south there is Saturn. Left of that again and much brighter is Jupiter.

(Edit). Just attaching a hastily taken photo that I took with the phone camera while getting ready to disembark from a plane last Sunday eve in Knock Airport. There was a lovely afterglow in the southwestern sky after sunset and in capturing that, I see a barely visible Venus that I have put a very small yellow mark under (you will have to zoom in to see it) Photo is not the best quality and does not do dazzling Venus any justice but shows the part of the sky that it is in on these evenings if only we could get less cloud to see it more often.

Post edited by Goldfinch8 on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another very cold day here in Meath. feels colder than yesterday due to full cloud cover and no sun. Currently 4C but feels more like -1C. Heating on since this morning.

It felt mild early on but chiller now and a dim, dark, silent day . And a still, gray ocean.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bit of snizzle in Tallaght currently, I hear from someone in the Hospital.

Another cold and very dull day today but Friday for me still felt like the coldest day.

That wind chill factor was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Pretty sure I caught a fogbow in Wicklow this afternoon!

• Advertisement

As perfect a winter day as ever was. The vast ocean is dappled blue, dancing its eternal wave-rippled rhythm.... light clear and shining. And a chill in the breeze that would freeze the marrow in your bones if you lingered gazing at it in admiration! But oh so lovely!

West Mayo offshore.

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Feeling very mild out even though breath can be seen. Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Was thinking the same. Probably feeling so after the cold days past.

That was a very benign autumn. I suppose Arwen in the northern part of the country was the worst of it.

It really reminded me of autumn 2001 and 2007, when some cattle were grazing at home on 30 November. It's so hilly and heavy ground they're usually all indoors.

I really enjoyed the first half of this Autumn. September is often considered an extension of summer and there is nothing worse than a cool, wet, windy and Atlantic driven September. This September was very warm at times and relatively dry, same with October but to a lesser extent. By the end of October the overly mild or warm temperatures were starting to feel more unseasonal day by day with no sign of grass growth stopping and leaves even took their time to start falling.

November continued this theme with very mild to warm conditions for the time of year and remained almost exclusively dry until the past few days. The grass has only stopped growing since last Friday. Only in the past week did it start to feel more like autumn and now it's over. Delighted over the lack of wind/storms and rain, however this dry and very mild Autumn did drag on and offered very little in variety until last weekend.

Overall 7/10.

I think it was an amazing autumn. I loved the mildness, the sunshine + lack of rain.

Since Sept there was only two days that we had to drive to school rather than walk because it was so dry.

Unlike others I'm delighted with lack of wind + rain!

The drive home from work this evening was horrible it was so dark + lashing rain, it was so dangerous on the back roads and reminded me how lucky we have been. I dread the icy mornings + to have gotten to Dec with practically none is brilliant 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

I'm with you on that! Loved it. Even this afternoon was very mild here in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very informative, thanks!

Its only when I see Orion climbing high in the sky that I start to get hopeful of cold weather and white gold.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

To get to Dec with few icy mornings is very typical.

Advertisement