Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭crusd

AI winner as a player is not an automatic predictor of success as a manager.

And winning two counties and and Ulster with Crossmaglen in the 2010's is about the equivalent of winning a Leinster football title with Dublin in the past 15 years. Look at what he is currently doing as an inter county manager and he does not compare favourably with McEntee. Demonstrated ability to develop a team should be the primary competency we look for if we were to go after a new coach. In the absense of a Jim Gavin type figure willing to come on board, if we were to go outside the county, the likes of McEntee and Malachy O'Rourke are who we should be after

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I asked folks about managers standing out nationally this year (which given the very limited options available Oisín would be among given his big shock result), not specifically for the Mayo job. The question was asked as it was such a short list in my own head, there really aren't many great options jumping out (I've named all I can think of and even a few of those I'd have huge reservations on as managers in general, nevermind as our managers).

I wouldn't personally expect Kevin and co to be going anywhere in the short term. Between the league win & only losing a Connacht Final by a point, I'd expect them to be given the 3rd year regardless of how poorly/great (barring an absolute disaster and losing the dressing room - where currently all the noises around the lads are positive) the Group Stages and beyond might pan out.

Whether he'll be in a position to take it with public opinion/support probably the bigger question. A lot of anger around, some from warranted football frustrations and a lot of it just general rage that seems worryingly common across all facets of life well beyond sport at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Westernview

I already mentioned him as a possible number 2 to McEntee. I'd imagine he'd have a lot to offer as a forwards coach and selector. If McEntee wasn't interested and McConville was I'd have no problem with McConville on a list of applicants.

I don't think O'Rourke's CV is that amazing that we'd discount someone like McConville entirely. It's about having a list of realistic candidates as TsuDhoNimh has said. We must have a very high opinion of ourselves when after more than 70 years without Sam Maguire we don't want to even consider multiple medal winning all-star and all ireland winners. We should be flattered that they'd show such an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭HBC08

Youre spot on!

I missed that,I'm still hoping for Hyde park aswell though

Agreed that they should be given the third year. Would advocate a new face in the team though to focus on attacking strategy.

If in future we are looking externally for a manager we should not just go for a big name with limited track record however. Assuming there are no proven all Ireland winning coaches available we need to go after someone with a demonstrated track record of developing a team

• Advertisement

Not sure if you tune into Mayo football podcasts. The Ah Ref one has a chat with Paul Fitzpatrick of the Anglo Celt ahead of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Names I've seen mentioned that I do not want anywhere near the Mayo job:

• Kevin Walsh
    • James Horan
    • Ray Dempsey
    • Jim McGuinness
    • Peter Forde
    • Ger Brennan/Mark McHugh/Kieran Donaghy (not even one full season between them as a head coach)
    • Malachy O'Rourke
    • Jack O'Connor (wouldn't go near it in a million years, but Kildare showed what he can do without a couple of all time greats in his teams)

Names I've seen mentioned on this thread that I wouldn't have a problem with being the next Mayo manager:

• Tony McEntee
    • Oisin McConville (preferably as on a ticket with McEntee)
    • Andy Moran (long term, maybe, but not now)
    • John Reilly (would like to see him added to a ticket at the very least)
    • Eamon Fitzmaurice (although I'm not 100% as there might be a suspicion that he underachieved with Kerry and got very lucky with the one he won in 2014)

You know there's always going to be a wildcard or two, there always is.

Whether McStay goes or stumbles on for another year (like Horan in 2022), it's clear from what I'm hearing from people across the county that the support for him is evaporating and without Sam (which isn't going to happen) and/or a bad beating in the group/qualifiers that once the conversation even starts, he's a dead man walking…..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Says alot about Mcstay's tenure so far, that we are now witnessing multiple pages crop up regarding potential successors.

McGuinness might have woke a few people up, who has shown what a manager with a plan can do in a relatively short space of time.

2 years under kevin we can't kick or probe with the ball, we now can't run the ball either & we've folded against multiple teams the minute pressure is put on our kick-out & shows no signs of fixing the problem

Need to see big improvements this summer, otherwise whats the point of him staying on, as we look to have gone backwards.

Post edited by Be-Jaysus on

It was noticeable during the Ulster final the passion displayed by McGuiness during the team huddle before the game and before extra time. You could almost see the players feeding off his energy. He didn't allow them a minute to lose focus or intensity. It was the difference between winning and losing IMO.

I don't get the same feeling about Mayo. Letting games slip away that we should be winning suggests an issue with resolve and concentration. Kevin is a great guy but I'm not sure he has the energy levels to transfer to the team. He seems very passive on the line at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭glack

Give me a queue for a real toilet over a smelly port a loo any day. There is no comparison. Particularly when bringing kids. I'm sure Hyde Park intend to build toilets. They've done great work in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

I was at the semi final and there was no portaloos, just plenty of permanent toilets that you could access without queueing for 20+ minutes like Castlebar….. Anyway, we've bigger problems to be worrying about at the moment than what ground has the better jacks! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭MacDanger

While I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the negative sentiments around McStay & Co, I'd prefer to wait until the end of the season before judging.

Last year after beating Kerry, we were flying high and it changed rapidly from there on in; it doesn't look like it right now but it's still possible for this season to go in the opposite direction yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I never queued 20mins in McHale Park. It was portaloos in the Hyde at the back of the main stand a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Squatman

YEA, Agreed, i think if he put less of a positive spin on his losses itwould be more acceptable to the wider public.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

When is McStay's term up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Compo82

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Its very hard to see him here for another two years. Granted he doesn't really have the quality of players that we had a few years back but it appears we are sliding further away under him, gone boring in our play, very predictable….

Anyway he deservered his shot. Probably should have got it the first time around and it may have been different as we had more quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Both McEntee and McConville have an eye on the Armagh job and one or both will take it the minute it's offered imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭flasher0030

In fairness, it was tactical genius to throw the game to Galway in Salthill. Avoiding Armagh and Derry and making it easier to claim a 2nd place in the Dublin group. And have more of a chance of beating Dublin in a neutral venue - could even top the group. Not many managers could have that kind of foresight. He must have been having a little giggle to himself seeing Joyce and Co jumping around with glee after the Connacht final.

* A little bit of tongue-in-cheek in the above comments. But it could work out in our favour. The next few weeks will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Any further news/gossip/speculation on the venue for the Dublin game? 🤔

• Advertisement

Mike Finnerty from the Mayo Gaa pod and GAAGO says hes hearing Tullamore,he'd have good contacts.

Cavan have had a good few weeks to prepare for this match, will be interesting to see how they setup. With them missing their freetaker, you'd hope our backs will be able to be tighter than usual

As stated my preference is for Limerick but I'm in 2 minds about Tullamore. On one hand the Mayo support base isn't what it was. Just over 19,000 at the Connacht final and was there even 7,000 from Mayo?. And do all season ticket holders really have to have a seat?

On the other hand it's Dublin that may have more issues with getting enough tickets for their supporters. I think it highlights a need for a 30,000+ venue somewhere in the midlands. It wasn't much of an issue up to recently but if the group stages become a permanent fixture it's likely that a modern central stadium would be useful to facililtate a lot of games.

Paddy Lynch is far more than just a free taker. One of the best forwards in the country on his day

I know that - my point was moreso that if they're missing their free taker, they may not be able to convert any frees that we concede so we may be able to defend more robustly than normal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Anybody that needed waking up to what Jim McGuinness can bring to a team should probably be best left in the coma they have been in for the past 14 years. He has now managed Donegal for 5 championship season in Ulster, the toughest of the provincials, and has won 4. Only losing one game in that series, and that one being an Ulster Final to Monaghan in 2013. In his first year back in charge he has taken a team that were a shambles, losing to Down in the first round last year, to winning Ulster this year by beating the three top teams in Ulster, Derry, Tyrone and Armagh.

I don`t think anyone that doesn`t want McGuinness managing Mayo need worry though. Even if offered the job I cannot see him accepting it, or any other offer for that matter. He is a very passionate Donegal GAA man whose heart would never be there for putting out any other county team to face Donegal.

For those that favor McEntee or McConville, he has probably knocked that on the head for one or both of those after Sunday by ending McGeeney`s 10 year tenure with Armagh with either McEntee, McConville or a combination of both taking over the management job there.

I'm not sure on the must have seats for season ticket holders.That was kind of an unofficial rule with a few exceptions for years.However with season ticket numbers down a bit,with way more games and attendances down aswell I don't really think it's needed.

Tullamore will be big enough and unless it's a top of the table clash probably won't even sell out.

I'd prefer the Hyde,same capacity but we have a better record there than anywhere else.

The last time I was in Tullamore was the All Ireland u21 semi final v Dublin in 2016.A day when the Mayo support was about 3k and Dublin a couple of hundred.Ironically it was the Mayo crowd that influenced the ref that day if anyone remembers to give a dubious free to Mayo to win it in the last minute.

A lot of the players from both current teams were playing or on the panel that day.

Ruane,Loftus,Diarmuid,Reape (as a forward) stephen Coen,Carr,Eoin o Donoghue.

Bought the three game package for myself and the 2 kids (tickets for the Dublin game are now only terrace tickets) but won't be able to make the game this weekend. Selling the three tickets for a decent discount if anyone's looking for one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The venue has not even been picked for the Dublin game. How are they selling only terrace tickets now, if the venue (and therefore capacity) is unknown. Is this another ploy by GAA/Ticketmaster to put up the crap tickets first, and then have seating tickets available closer to the match to sway people who may be on the fence about going.

Did you buy the 3 game package for yourself and 2 juvenile kids. How did that work? Considering they are only €5 each to get into the matches.

• Advertisement

I never heard of tickets being sold for any event - sports, entertainment or otherwise, without the venue announced first.

Advertisement