Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭MacDanger

It's €50 for the adult ticket and 15 apiece for the kids so no discount on the kids' tickets

Doesn't look like the usual ticketmaster ploy - the wording is "Please note: If you purchase after 1pm on 15th May, you will be allocated terrace tickets for Mayo v Dublin"

Mayo team named (for what it's worth), McHale in for Boland and DOC in for Brickendon; Paddy on the bench at least

Mayo Senior Football Team is as Follows:

1. Colm Reape Knockmore
    2. Jack Coyne Ballyhaunis
    3. David McBrien Ballaghaderreen
    4. Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels
    5. Stephen Coen Hollymount Carramore (C)
    6. Sam Callinan Ballina Stephenites
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin Westport
    8. Matthew Ruane Breaffy
    9. Diarmuid O’Connor Ballintubber
    10. Jack Carney Kilmeena
    11. Darren McHale Kmockmore
    12. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    13. Aidan O’Shea Breaffy
    14. Tommy Conroy The Neale
    15. Ryan O’Donoghue Béal an Mhuirthead

SUBS

• Rob Hennelly Raheny
    • Fergal Boland Aghamore
    • Rory Brickenden Westport
    • Paddy Durcan Castlebar Mitchels
    • Enda Hession Garrymore
    • Conor Loftus Crossmolins Deel Rovers
    • Conor McStay Ballina Stephenites
    • Cillian O’Connor Ballintubber
    • Padraig O’Hora Ballina Stephenites
    • Paul Towey Charlestown Sarsfields

Bob Tuohy Castlebar Mitchels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Am I right in thinking the match isnt on tv anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭HBC08

Strong team and very strong bench.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Loftus start in place of Jordan (he had a nasty collision with Aido at training on Mon night) Aido got stitches but he's a monster and has played through a lot worse down the years.

Good to see McBrien at 3 and Callinan at 6.

I'm more confident now as it looks like management are at least tweaking a few things.Big game for Darren McHale if he starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't see any proper balance to that team. We know we struggle against the modern defensive units, and have resorted to this lateral slow handpassing, without any proper penetration that the northern teams seem to be able to breakthrough with. And then they exclude the only player who looks up when he gets the ball (Boland). Flynn, Carney, McHale will not try to break the line. Diarmuid and Matti Ruane may show some initiative to do so, but neither have pace. I can see long patches of back and over handpassing. Tommie Conroy coming deep to try to get on the ball and get involved in the game. Hopefully he has a good game. But if he doesn't, we are back relying on Ryan O'Donoghue again to come out around the 30 yard line to try to get possession and hit some long range shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would agree and in particular where the score are going to come from outside of ROD, Conroy. However, I think Boland lacks a physical aspect to his game. He doesn't have the size or strength and it will always be an issue.

Ya. Smaller players generally need that bit of extra speed as well, to compensate for the lack of physicality. But Fergal doesn't really have either speed or strength. Great footballer though.

Anyway, notwithstanding my initial negativity, they should have plenty in tank to easily overcome Cavan. But I guess we thought the same last year against the likes of Louth and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Westernview

He's a nice ball player and we are missing that. But strength and athleticism is vital in the modern game.

I'd like to see Boland starting, he brings something very few of our other forwards have; I'd have thought Flynn would be the one under the most pressure in the HF line, he's gone back massively since last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

be amazed if McHale starts

If its one of these decoys in naming players that the management know wont start, its very unfair to the players. These players get many well wishers throughout the week - wishing them good lock in the game. It's embarrassing for the player if they know that they won't actually be on the starting 15.

I too would would be amazed if he starts. If he does, I hope he plays out of his skin. He is a real trier. I just haven't seen intercounty quality to match the enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

He's scored 4-18 in just the 9 starts and 14 appearances off the bench, along with creating a lot of chances for others, so no big issue with the offensive quality IMHO. He always creates chances, for himself or others.

Still questions he needs to answer on big days around his defensive work (been caught a few times for goal chances against us when playing wing forward), physicality & consistency, but plenty of flashes of the quality there for sure. If he can put a run together of a few games without injury between now and the end of the year, you'd expect him to play a big part. Just hitting that run of fitness that has been a huge problem for him in recent years, and so hard to get any of the rest looking well when that's undermining all the other work.

Very different style to Fergie but another super clever player that can help open (or kick down) doors.

I'd be excited to see a half-forward line of McHale/Boland/Carney (assuming Jordan won't make it today), just leaves some question marks on what we might do tagging Faulkner. Carney could be asked to fill that role, or McHugh brought up to man-mark him with Jack and Diarmuid dropping back a line each…. so interesting one to watch in the first 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Well done the Mayo Hurlers!

It would a big test for McHugh on Faulkner but he's doing well this year and keeps on improving,I'd let him at it.

I don't think Jordan will start so maybe a chance for Loftus? Might be a good option as although Jordan is a long range shooter (by Mayo standards) his clubman is more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭PressRun

Durcan's season over?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

disaster

Disaster about Paddy. Seemed like an okay win even if we sounded fairly unimaginative

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What happened Durcan?

Last I heard on Midwest was they were saying the 15 minutes run out would do him well then I stopped listening as the game was almost over.

Went down with a bad injury in the last 20 seconds or so. Looked to be knee or ankle. Didn't look good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Speedy recovery to Paddy Durcan.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Why bring Durcan on when the game was won ?

He clearly wasn't fit , we didn't need him until the knockout stages.,

Kevin Mc tends to avoid all the tough questions from the media both locally & nationally , and one would suspect this will be nipped in the bud too.

I can imagine it now.

(Media) Any update on Paddy, kevin ?

(Kevin) Err, it doesn't look good, its just one of those things,hes unlucky, but we have a big squad so we will dust ourselves down & go again.

(Media limps away)

To be fair, as far as I'm aware, his previous issue was quad. This didn't look like a recurrence of that, looked like something else.

Wouldn't surprise me, its very common.

When you focus all your time & energy fixing one injury, other areas of the body that aren't injured are neglected during that phase, they are then prone.

Breaking down on a cameo game isn't good look.

For me it just gives off an impression they rushed him back too soon, as the management could possibly be feeling the pressure after the Galway collapse.

Post edited by Be-Jaysus on

Right decision to give Paddy a few mins in the legs in a no pressure situation to get him prepped for upcoming games. Won't stop mystic megs criticising it mind you

Two week break ahead of the Rossie game whereas they've only a week after playing Dublin, that should give us a sizeable advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Westernview

Exactly. As I've said in a separate thread the team physios assessment obviously gave him the go ahead to play. That's based on the information they had at the time not hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Go away out of that with your logic. Sure don’t the Keyboard warriors and podcast whingers know much more than the management teams about the health and capabilities of the players both on the panels and not part of the panel?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Great to see most of the non-starters released out to the clubs today.

You'd imagine minutes for the likes of Bob Tuohy no harm at all. With Paul Towey bagging at least 3-6 (2-2 from play, a few scores unattributed on Twitter so possibly one or two other points his too) against Knockmore should do wonders for his confidence.

Advertisement