Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

thats last free was absolutely ridiculous. A clear free out. You can't jump on someone and then pull them by the head. Nonsense decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Some odd decisions by the ref all match in fairness.

Seems like we had the winning of that match at several stages but didn't put them to the sword

• Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nobody to blame but ourselves

When your centre forward doesn’t touch the ball for 50 minutes and one of your wing backs has absolutely zero footballing ability
    But you keep turning them and expect anything else

I don’t know what to say anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Westernview

Only a point difference but slightly better forwards the difference. Mayo had no defender to compete with Comer in the air. Needed a sweeper in front of him?

Could really have done with Paddy Durcan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

We needed to close out the game and kept playing the ball backwards and laterally. We had a full deck except Durcan and Galway had rakes of lads fresh off injury. We have no one to blame but ourselves. You'll always have ref decisions go against you. It's neither here nor there. We had opportunities to win and didn't. End of story.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rain Spreading From The West

Where will the 3rd game in the round robin against the Dubs be played? Croke Pk?

I hope this is the end of the brainless optimism I've seen from some people. The current team is lacking and that is a simple fact. The general standard of player isn't there. There are several starters on this team that wouldn't have gotten near Horan's team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Robson99

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

The rossies in the hyde will be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Avon8

Especially considering what happened between minute 60 and 70. Terrible performance by him all round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The free before that too looked for all the world soft as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Please reread and comment on what I actually said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

The referee wasn't great but he did as much to hurt Galway as he did to hurt us. I've never seen a 45 brought forward before, and I'm watching football for over 50 years. Also the throw up he gave before we went 2 up was very soft.

We were not good enough. That's the bottom line. Nobody to contain their danger men effectively and at the other end, we carry no goal threat and are still too lateral trying to work it into Ryan O'Donaghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Westernview

No Way did we lose because of the ref. Galway had awful decisions against them too.

Only 2 top level forwards Tommie and Ryan. Aidan played well but again can't score. That would be OK if Flynn, Carney and Boland were able to take advantage of his layoffs.

II had doubts all along about Bolands physicality and it was borne out again today against a tight championship defence.

I'm sticking with my view that a semi final spot would be acceptable this year. The last 2 games a reality check for those who thought that was being negative. No just realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

I see a lot of positives from that game and a lot of negative comments on here. The Mayo midfield has been berated on here time and again. I thought they did great today and won a lot of ball and breaking ball, fair play also to Matthew Ruane, really drove at the defence and got some great scores too. Colm Reape had a great game as did the defence in general bar some goal chances coughed up. Thought it was great to see Tommy Conroy back to himself and offer another attacking option to the forwards.
    Mayo should have won that game but didn’t for one reason I could see - 100% instance of overusing the lateral pass going nowhere and not converting enough scores. They were the better team overall on the day. Thought Gough gifting Galway the victory over a few strange free calls from a midfield position earlier was ridiculous and puts the game into disrepute. Either it’s a foul or it isn’t as Joanne Cantwell said. Have to hand it to RTÉ though, they did their best to make out poor Galway had bad calls against them in midfield so that somehow justified Gough giving clear Galway fouls on Mayo as frees into Galway from kickable positions. (Sour grapes I know)
    Cillian O’Connor took a great point too when he came on. Thought Boland was very quiet today. They’re a young team and they did great working themselves into good positions to disrupt Gleeson’s kickout. Biggest problem that needs to be sorted is converting more scores.

Post edited by Carol25 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Overcarrying in the first half was desperate as was the ones dropping short.

Matthew Ruane scored but we are still struggling so much on long kickouts because our midfield can't win their own ball. So they still aren't actually doing their primary job.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ULEZ23

Historically the rossies have never turned up after Connaught

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Robson99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Gough didn't gift Galway that, Mayo did. He ref was awful for both sides, in no way can he be blamed, not in a million years. Comer bullied the feck out of our defense and Walsh when he came on showed what can happen when you have intelligent footballers.

Tommy is not the player he was, doesn't add enough to the score board.

We have a few supremely athletic footballers who have no in-game football intelligence whatsoever.

Plus, why are lads so terrified to go for a point instead of recyling when the point is on?

Young team yes, but nowhere near as good as we think we are.

Sideline in dream land as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Your middle paragraphs there are absolutely hilarious 😂. Dya want to watch back the RTE coverage and see the ball over the line for a Galway goal that inexplicably ended up in a free out? Or the free brought in from a 45 that was originally a wide ball? Or the hop ball given for zero reason that Tommy Conroy scored directly from? Or the Comer one on one called back for again no reason?

The fact that it was Lee Keegan on the coverage, making the point that Galway got rode, should tell you all you need to know about what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

The posters here and Mayo fans in general love to catastrophize everything from big to small. Probably as a result of losing so many close finals. It’s the same reaction whether it’s a one point loss or a 10 point loss. The Mayo player who makes the dreaded mistake is lambasted along with management. It’s become a mindset. I don’t see other supporters from other counties behaving this way to the same extent.
    I wonder does this mindset then feed into the team sometimes. Mayo’s major weak link is their attack and lateral predictable passing going nowhere. They’re not the team of the 2010’s but they did a lot right today.
    I won’t bother answering the clearly Galway biased post re ref, he gifted Galway the win at the end in my book. Mayo should have been further ahead prior to that from their dominance but couldn’t push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ah whatever about decisions from the ref, the ball was never over the line, I don’t know how you can think it was .

Have you watched the slow motion RTE produced straight after full time? What did Lee say about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You’re embarrassing yourself now.

Whatever about the other decisions that ball was never 100% over the line.

Enjoy the win and stop focusing on conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The amount of times a Mayo player had a point on and took an extra touch or turned back inside. So frustrating.

I just dont get playing o'shea in the postion he is played. I think theres value to be had in leaving him in the square and actually kicking the ball into him. Playing him as a corner forward, way out wide and dropping out the field, is pointless

• Advertisement

We have nobody to blame but ourselves

Making the same mistakes over and over again on and off the pitch .

What’s the definition of insanity?

Advertisement